It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#73472 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>They will probably use it for no knock warrants.
Or an individual in a local militia.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73473 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>How many Americans have you met , personally ?
Oh you think I haven't met and spent time with a yank else I would have a different opinion? Keep dreaming...

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73474 Aug 12, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's going great, thanks. The USSC confirmed the right to keep and bear arms as an individual right protected by the 2nd Amendment and applied the same restrictions against infringement to the States and local gov'ts under the 14th Amendment. More and more anti-gun and anti-gun owner laws are going away. Violent crime has been dropping for the last decade even with increased gun sales and less restrictive gun laws. How do you explain that...?
That most of you are overseas killing people there? That those who believe that are delusional? That you are off with the fairies? That you are too busy worrying about how you are gonna keep your houses after the sub prime motgage incident to worry about killing each other for the moment. That there is an election on and you have been distracted by the tea party and Mitt Romney? Take your pick!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73475 Aug 12, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
America is a threat to the socialist states and people like you because of our individual freedoms and rights. We are not going away or giving up our guns to you or any other gov't or gov't entity. That's the only way you feel threatened because you can't take our country without disarming the American people. Not even the United Nations will be able to do it...so once again...POUND SAND.
There is no feckin' way anyone who owns a gun in the States believes that they have individual rights and freedoms else they wouldn't have more guns per head of population to ensure it, silly.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73476 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Try not to be ignorant.
Your an embarrassment.
I meet nice Aussie on the net and in person and you don't represent them.
You don't know anything about guns.
You don't know anything about distribution.
Your just ranting and raving.
Try to educate yourself.
Well I would like to say that I have met a nice American but I would be lying especially if you and your bullshit lot on here are anything to go by.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#73477 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That most of you are overseas killing people there? That those who believe that are delusional? That you are off with the fairies? That you are too busy worrying about how you are gonna keep your houses after the sub prime motgage incident to worry about killing each other for the moment. That there is an election on and you have been distracted by the tea party and Mitt Romney? Take your pick!
The tea party looks at Romney as an establishment republican or a RINO.
Dr Freud

UK

#73478 Aug 12, 2012
Hajime wrote:
<quoted text>
So would the opinion stand if i were to say wherever there is crime people should carry guns?
Crime happens. It doesn't matter where you are. Criminals don't make appointments, and there is no such thing as a 'crime-free zone.'
Hajime wrote:
Has america bought this among themselves? do we need guns in new zealand?
How may it be said that successful self-defence was brought on by the possessor of a self-defence device? If you think that you may escape a crime of violence successfully every time one happens, then who am I to prescribe a different course of action?
Hajime wrote:
guns are made for the intention to injure and kill right but the likelyhood swings more towards killing and severe injury.
No such thing is true. Guns are made with one designed purpose, and no other: To accurately expel a projectile along a predefined trajectory. If guns were designed to kill, then they have failed miserably because few than 30% of bullet woundings actually result in a fatality.
In the case you miss the significance of that last statement, it amounts to just this: Guns have a greater than 70% failure rate when death is the intent.
Additionally, the number of guns in private hands in the U.S. which have been involved in any crime is so exceedingly small as to fade into insignificance. So your statement amounts to hype, plain and simple.
Hajime wrote:
i think before we hand guns to several other million users there needs to be a reassurance that these people need to go through compulsory training and not just a gun license. we do not have armed cops here. we have an armed defenders squad in new zealand.
what is the criteria for getting a gun?[/QUTOE]
In the U.S., training is the responsibility of the owner/user, and not that of the state, though some states infringe upon the rights of the citizens and demand such.
[QUOTE who="Hajime"]what if i am a criminal who hasnt been caught yet.
Do you actually read what you write? What is the legal definition of 'criminal?'
Hajime wrote:
along the lines of operating lethal machinery one could say a vehicle presented these dangers. there needs to be strict guidelines on when and where to use it. common sense is not that common believe it or not.
if gun laws are passed i know where to invest my money. is it the same arms company that are providing for your wars in the middle east the carlyle group?
criminals in any shape of form will always be around. what would the police be if the world was crime free.
Address one thing at a time, and not a mishmash of conflated ideas if you desire to conduct a cogent discussion.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73479 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you think I haven't met and spent time with a yank else I would have a different opinion? Keep dreaming...
So some American guy dumped your fat azz and this is how your getting back at him ?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73480 Aug 12, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The tea party looks at Romney as an establishment republican or a RINO.
Yeah but he has put one of your mates up there as second in command, that should assure them of the tea party vote and it is better a Mitt Romney for the tea party than Obama because that is all that is left?

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73481 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I would like to say that I have met a nice American but I would be lying especially if you and your bullshit lot on here are anything to go by.
Sweetheart , were getting along fine without you.

But , do not doubt you are as ignorant as they come.

You like a giant mouth trying to attack the USA .

I am going to start calling you :

AUSSIEZILLA.

Here is a song for you sweet pea just substitute AUSSIEZIILA where appropriate.



OOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

there goes another kangaroo

AUSSIEZIILA
Dr Freud

UK

#73482 Aug 12, 2012
Hajime wrote:
blah blah moon blah blah blah olympics blah blah advancement. what about guns?
ooh guns and advancement how? show me.
Perhaps it escapes you that a free man is actually a free man. Free men are able to determine for themselves what shall be, and not, in their lives, and that includes the ability to defend that life against all threats. The less encumbered a man is, the more time he has to pursue both his advancement and his personal gain.
The same cannot be said of people living in lands where there is egregious regulation upon regulation, and control on top of more control, and where self-ownership is against the law.
How much permission do you need from your government in order to do anything? How much leeway are you allowed in making entirely personal decisions in your private life?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73483 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>So some American guy dumped your fat azz and this is how your getting back at him ?
Trying the sexist tack, that might work on the girls in the backwater where you are from but we are made of tougher stuff...mind I have heard talk of some Asian women who have gotten a variety of VDs from your armed forces on leave(that is true by the way it seems STDs have increased since your guys arrived) Bet Japan will be glad to see the last of you.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73484 Aug 12, 2012
Here are the lyrics to AUSSIEZILLA

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
She pulls the spitting high-tension wires down

Helpless people on the Darwin train
Scream, bug-eyed, as she looks in on them

She picks up a Koala bear and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town

Oh, no, they say she's got to go
Go go AUSSIEZILLA
Oh, no, there goes Wollongong
go go AUSSIEZILLA

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73485 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Sweetheart , were getting along fine without you.
But , do not doubt you are as ignorant as they come.
You like a giant mouth trying to attack the USA .
I am going to start calling you :
AUSSIEZILLA.
Here is a song for you sweet pea just substitute AUSSIEZIILA where appropriate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =o7gFlSGXt_kXX
OOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
there goes another kangaroo
AUSSIEZIILA
What don't like the competition.....Is it only Americans that can shoot off at the mouth is it...that is a tad, well, dare I say, "American" of you.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#73486 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That you as a gun supporter have a limited shelf life....
Based on what...your lack of knowledge and ignorance of guns, gun ownership, the Constitution of the United States, the 2nd Amendment, gun laws...etc...etc...?

Have had, lived with, raised with, worked with and carried firearms for 40+ years. So according to you, just what would that "shelf life" be...?
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#73487 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
No people like you own a gun for fun....
Yes I do...and self defense, hunting, target shooting and just plain ole' plinking. Great fun.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#73488 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but he has put one of your mates up there as second in command, that should assure them of the tea party vote and it is better a Mitt Romney for the tea party than Obama because that is all that is left?
You're right about that. There's not much choice. No one would vote for Obama.

There really isn't a second in command. The vice president really doesn't have a function other than taking over if something should happen to the president and breaking a tie vote in the senate.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#73489 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That most of you are overseas killing people there? That those who believe that are delusional? That you are off with the fairies? That you are too busy worrying about how you are gonna keep your houses after the sub prime motgage incident to worry about killing each other for the moment. That there is an election on and you have been distracted by the tea party and Mitt Romney? Take your pick!
LOL...oh yeah...ALL that has been going on for the past 10 years...lol.

"That you are off with the fairies?"

You just another "frustrated control freak" because you can not control the rights and freedoms of Americans that exercise their individual right to keep and bear arms. You are delusional.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73490 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
What don't like the competition.....Is it only Americans that can shoot off at the mouth is it...that is a tad, well, dare I say, "American" of you.
QUIZ TIME !!!!!!!

Aussiezilla , tell me the most widely distributed gun in the world ?

BONUS ROUND !!!!!!!!!!

What country manufactures the majority of them ?
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#73491 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no feckin' way anyone who owns a gun in the States believes that they have individual rights and freedoms else they wouldn't have more guns per head of population to ensure it, silly.
Contradict yourself much...?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Australia, vote me as your supreme ruler. 7 hr The candidate 1
News Astronomer rules our solar causes of Cooma's my... 19 hr Master Renjii 1
Why are Pakistani men so gorgeous but Pakistani... (Nov '14) 21 hr Pebble1111 41
News This Orphaned Tree Kangaroo Was Raised by a Sur... Fri Grassclipper 2
I laugh when turdskins die in heatwaves Fri Grassclipper 4
News DLA Piper Expands Perth, Australia Office Fri happy times 1 1
News Suitcase hid missing safe Thu Graeme Russell 1
More from around the web