It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Edward James Totty

Columbus, OH

#72626 Aug 5, 2012
Pandemonium wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah? WHAT'S YOUR ADDRESS? LET ME COME PAY YOU A VISIT ...
Better bring a sack lunch and a sleeping bag because you're going to be awhile. The sleeping bag will make a suitable body bag to ship you back. Just give me the return address of the mental institution you're in.
Edward James Totty

Columbus, OH

#72627 Aug 5, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>WOW...it's good to know you post as Maurader, and WhereIsMyAmerica!
Good to know!
What I posted is a DIRECT COPY AND PASTE FROM THE MILLER SUPREME COURT CASE...so if you have a disagreement with "trench gun" and ""short barrel shot gun" wording, then I suggest you take it up with the SUPREME COURT!
lol
You said "I did take note that you did not respond to my post on the definition of "Well Regulated" as it pertains to the Second Amendment."....>your < definition? The post I respoded to said "Maurader"....try to keep your profiles straight!
MOSTLY...pay attention! I did RESPOND to your "well regulated" opinion.
LOOK AGAIN!
Here ya go, taken from the LAST PARAGRAPH...I'll post it again
"ALSO, it says WELL REGULATED, and it is WELL REGULATED!
Don't like it?
Take it up with your elected officials!"
....that's what I think about YOUR opinion on the definition!
Any questions?
I think I'm in love with you. If you ever get to Everett, WA give me a call!!
M O Lasses

Columbus, OH

#72628 Aug 5, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
CERTAINLY....but shouldn't you know this already?
1972: ADAMS v. WILLIAMS - In the dissent, Justices Douglas & Marshall took the portions of U.S. v. MILLER toward preservation of the Militia.
United States v. Miller
Main article: United States v. Miller
In United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 , the Supreme Court rejected a Second Amendment challenge to the National Firearms Act prohibiting the interstate transportation of unregistered Title II weapons:
In a unanimous opinion authored by Justice McReynolds, the Supreme Court stated "the objection that the Act usurps police power reserved to the States is plainly untenable."
As the Court explained:
"In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to any preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense."
Gun rights advocates cite Miller because they claim that the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protected the right to keep arms that are part of "ordinary military equipment."
Gun control advocates cite Miller because they claim that the Court did not consider the question of whether the sawed-off shotgun in the case would be an applicable weapon for personal defense, instead looking solely at the weapon's suitability for the "common defense.".
ALSO, it says WELL REGULATED, and it is WELL REGULATED!
Don't like it?
Take it up with your elected officials!
Would you like to have our Love Child?
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72629 Aug 5, 2012
Why do these other countries have such low homicide rates?

Their children watch the same violent movies and play the same violent video games as our children. They have as much bullying in schools. They have oppressed minorities, and similar rates of non-firearm crime and violence (assaults, robbery, burglary, rape). And they all have crazy people.

But these other countries have stricter gun policies than the United States. And when disaster happens, they typically respond.

Following the 1996 Port Arthur, Tasmania, massacre of 35 people, Australia acted quickly to effectively ban assault weapons. A mandatory buyback obtained more than 650,000 of these guns from existing owners. Australia also tightened requirements for licensing, registration and safe gun storage of firearms.

The result? In the 18 years before the intervention, Australia had 13 mass shootings. In the dozen years since, there has not been a single one. The laws also helped reduce firearm suicide and non-mass shooting firearm homicide
Light Bearer

Northwich, UK

#72630 Aug 5, 2012
Edward James Totty wrote:
<quoted text>Better bring a sack lunch and a sleeping bag because you're going to be awhile. The sleeping bag will make a suitable body bag to ship you back. Just give me the return address of the mental institution you're in.
What's the address, coward? GOT ADDRESS?
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72631 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a coward with no Address(Location)
You are inferior.
Light Bearer

Columbus, OH

#72632 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
You are inferior.
I live in Everett, WA.
Light Bearer

Melbourne, Australia

#72633 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
You are inferior.
I am a total Australian azzhole!
Light Bearer

Melbourne, Australia

#72634 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>I live in Everett, WA.
So, give me your address. Are you afraid of a face to face meeting?
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72635 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
Then why isnt it on your avatar?
You could well be in Pakistan pushing a Jew conspiracy theory to influence the feeble minded into anti semitism.
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72636 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
Make up your mind.
You are inferior.
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72637 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
So, give me your address. Are you afraid of a face to face meeting?
88 Obi Lane South
Maleny Qld 4552
Ph:(07) 5429 6922

Drop by or give me a call.
Ask for the owner.
Light Bearer

Melbourne, Australia

#72639 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your mind.
You are inferior.
Yes, I talk to myself, and I am inferior.
Light Bearer

Melbourne, Australia

#72640 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
88 Obi Lane South
Maleny Qld 4552
Ask for the owner.
That's the address to the local sewage lagoon. Are you a turd?
Light Bearer

Columbus, OH

#72641 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
88 Obi Lane South
Maleny Qld 4552
Ask for the owner.
Is that near Porters Lane?
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72642 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I talk to myself, and I am inferior.
Give me a call. I would like your address. You have dialler ID over there?
Now shouldnt you be praying for souls of your fellow citizens who were gunned down by the Gunnut terrorist in Wisconsin. Do it at home because places of worship arent safe.
samthepainter for Romney

Birmingham, AL

#72643 Aug 5, 2012
how many acts of violence is on tv, movies.com pared to 50 years ago.they should have a rating of too violent for tv. better restrictions at the movies.
i do not want to live in Gotham City with batmanor the avengers
Edward James Totty

Columbus, OH

#72644 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave you mine now where is yours, COWARD??!!!
Light Bearer

Melbourne, Australia

#72645 Aug 5, 2012
Edward James Totty wrote:
<quoted text>Better bring a sack lunch and a sleeping bag because you're going to be awhile. The sleeping bag will make a suitable body bag to ship you back. Just give me the return address of the mental institution you're in.
What's your address? GOT ADDRESS?
Light Bearer

Melbourne, Australia

#72646 Aug 5, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>Is that near Porters Lane?
Give me a call. I would like your address. You have dialler ID over there?
Now shouldnt you be praying for souls of your fellow citizens who were gunned down by the Gunnut terrorist in Wisconsin. Do it at home because places of worship arent safe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to get Quality Weed / Hashes & Meds in Pert... Sat Jesse 5
How to get Quality Weed / Hashes & Meds in Melb... Sat Jesse 7
News Entertainment- 'Crocodile Hunter' Widow Settles... (May '08) Jan 11 Ricky Richmond 6
News Newton-John to Walk the Great Wall of China for... (Mar '08) Jan 11 Romel Esmail Moore 2
News Would-be Australian Santa imprisoned for child ... (Dec '06) Jan 11 Romel Esmail Moore 17
News The roller-coaster and the rhino can co-exist (Apr '08) Jan 11 Romel Esmail Moore 6
Where to get 420? In Melbourne Jan 11 Tariq 7
More from around the web