WVU Student Dies While Studying Abroa...

WVU Student Dies While Studying Abroad in Australia

There are 15 comments on the WVNS-TV story from Aug 16, 2011, titled WVU Student Dies While Studying Abroad in Australia. In it, WVNS-TV reports that:

A West Virginia University student has died while studying abroad in Australia, WVU officials announced Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WVNS-TV.

“NO ANZUS”

Since: Nov 10

Southern California

#1 Aug 16, 2011
Yeah figures. Poor kid. Probably verbally abused by the Aussies. GO HOME YANK. You deserved 911 you filthy Seppo. Then some Assange style terrorist did her in while she was sleeping.

Lesson. Australians hate Americans.State Dept should issue travel advisory. Travel to Australia at your own risk
high rises on the range

Australia

#2 Aug 16, 2011
Wow she was a stunning looking young lady. No doubt the story will gain more coverage just for that. I know that campus. It has quite a few oliander shrubs around it, if I remember correctly. Deadly poisonous. They were possibly in flower and she picked some. Just my imagination but you never know.

Since: Apr 11

Roma, QLD

#3 Aug 16, 2011
Mr Humbert wrote:
Yeah figures. Poor kid. Probably verbally abused by the Aussies. GO HOME YANK. You deserved 911 you filthy Seppo. Then some Assange style terrorist did her in while she was sleeping.
Lesson. Australians hate Americans.State Dept should issue travel advisory. Travel to Australia at your own risk
I wonder when you are going to take a step back one day and see what an insane sad little man you are.
TBA

Caringbah, Australia

#4 Aug 16, 2011
Mr Humbert wrote:
Yeah figures. Poor kid. Probably verbally abused by the Aussies. GO HOME YANK. You deserved 911 you filthy Seppo. Then some Assange style terrorist did her in while she was sleeping.
Lesson. Australians hate Americans.State Dept should issue travel advisory. Travel to Australia at your own risk
and if she died of natural causes you will offer the australian people an unreserved apology for your rabid racism?
scooterman

Glen Iris, Australia

#5 Aug 16, 2011
Mr Humbert wrote:
Yeah figures. Poor kid. Probably verbally abused by the Aussies. GO HOME YANK. You deserved 911 you filthy Seppo. Then some Assange style terrorist did her in while she was sleeping.
You're a complete idiot.

You're up there with that New Jersey "no commercial planes on 9/11" nutter, except that you have a slightly better imagination.
Mr Humbert wrote:
Lesson. Australians hate Americans.State Dept should issue travel advisory. Travel to Australia at your own risk
We ought to do likewise for you personally.
Reese
#6 Aug 17, 2011
I was a student before at Toowoomba who stayed in one of the residential schools at USQ.

During my 1st week of settling there, I fell ill too to the extent of flu-like symptoms such as nausea, stuffy chest, difficulty getting out of bed and heavy dizziness.

One thing I noticed was the heater installed in my room. It was the old window type(square box). I immediately turn it off and opened the window slightly for fresh air instead. My arrival that time was spring and it got very cold at night.

Have they rule out carbon monoxide poisoning?

h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C arbon_monoxide_poisoning

Quoted:
"Symptoms of mild acute poisoning include lightheadedness, confusion, headaches, vertigo, and flu-like effects; larger exposures can lead to significant toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, and even death.

Chronic exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can lead to depression, confusion, and memory loss."
Reese
#7 Aug 17, 2011
To think of it, Toowoomba is currently experiencing winter around this time and it gets really cold at night.

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C arbon_monoxide_poisoning

With different concentrations, CO can cause death within minutes if left unaware.I stayed at Steele Rudd residential college block that time while my friends were at McGregor.
Elias

Heathridge, Australia

#8 Aug 17, 2011
Reese wrote:
During my 1st week of settling there, I fell ill too to the extent of flu-like symptoms such as nausea, stuffy chest, difficulty getting out of bed and heavy dizziness.
This doesn't sound like carbon monoxide poisoning. I think poor ventilation and humid atmosphere sounds more like bacteria or mould. However, I would be interested to hear the coroner's finding.
Reese

Indialantic, FL

#9 Aug 17, 2011
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesn't sound like carbon monoxide poisoning. I think poor ventilation and humid atmosphere sounds more like bacteria or mould. However, I would be interested to hear the coroner's finding.
She complained of sick, throwing up and suggested food poisoning.

hxxp://www.news.com.au/nationa l/why-did-emily-die-in-paradis e/story-e6frfkvr-1226116758995

These are obvious symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning with the gas being colorless, odorless, tasteless.It is often mistaken for influenza or other illnesses such as food poisoning or gastroenteritis since it induces flu like symptoms and vomiting.

Those heater used at the colleges rooms were the old type with manual hand switches. During winter you tend to close up all the windows because it gets very cold at night.
Elias

Heathridge, Australia

#10 Aug 17, 2011
Reese wrote:
<quoted text>
She complained of sick, throwing up and suggested food poisoning.
hxxp://www.news.com.au/nationa l/why-did-emily-die-in-paradis e/story-e6frfkvr-1226116758995
These are obvious symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning with the gas being colorless, odorless, tasteless.It is often mistaken for influenza or other illnesses such as food poisoning or gastroenteritis since it induces flu like symptoms and vomiting.
Those heater used at the colleges rooms were the old type with manual hand switches. During winter you tend to close up all the windows because it gets very cold at night.
CO poisoning causes very specific and acute respiratory problems and blackouts. It does not primarily cause "flu like symptoms" as it inhibits the ability of haemoglobin to take up oxygen so the direct impact is on the respiratory system first not the immune system.
Reese

Indialantic, FL

#11 Aug 17, 2011
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
CO poisoning causes very specific and acute respiratory problems and blackouts. It does not primarily cause "flu like symptoms" as it inhibits the ability of haemoglobin to take up oxygen so the direct impact is on the respiratory system first not the immune system.
It depends on the concentration levels.

What do you mean it does not primarily?
They are major symptoms:
Headaches
Flu like symptoms but not typically with sinus congestion
Food poisoning like symptoms
Unexplained nausea
Chronic fatigue like symptoms
Feeling of physical weakness
Problems focusing
Difficult or shallow breathing

hxxp://palmharbor.patch.com/ar ticles/be-aware-of-carbon-mono xide-dangers-in-your-home

Fainting spells, headaches, vomiting, flu-like feeling, sick are a result of the failing respiratory system.
Elias

Heathridge, Australia

#13 Aug 17, 2011
Reese wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on the concentration levels.
What do you mean it does not primarily?
They are major symptoms:
Headaches
Flu like symptoms but not typically with sinus congestion
Food poisoning like symptoms
Unexplained nausea
Chronic fatigue like symptoms
Feeling of physical weakness
Problems focusing
Difficult or shallow breathing
hxxp://palmharbor.patch.com/ar ticles/be-aware-of-carbon-mono xide-dangers-in-your-home
Fainting spells, headaches, vomiting, flu-like feeling, sick are a result of the failing respiratory system.
Yes but flu like symptoms may be due to sinus infection due to high microbial levels in the air. Queensland is very humid and if the air ventilation in the room is poor the likelihood of mould is very high. The girl may not be used to these conditions and was susceptible to the bugs. When you have the coroners report let me know.
stephen toowoomba

Henley, Australia

#14 Aug 18, 2011
Never a more pro american state! dates back to ww1! Aussies and Yanks together!!. Check your facts!!

Still together today!!

Thats a wierd post for this matter!

Bizarre Mate!

Bizarre!
aussie mil

Tazewell, VA

#15 Aug 23, 2011
i have been to australia 2 times once to a town called tamworth and once to perth and the aussie people were very nice to me. i heard yank alot but so what thats not that bad. i'm interested in the girls death for a few reasons. i am from wv and i have traveled to australia. and plan on going back in the future.
Lilly

Beaver, WV

#16 Aug 25, 2011
So sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snagvotes: Where to get a sausage sandwich in C... 15 hr Pool Has Inky Lint 1
Need your help to find a reliable cheap essay w... (Jan '13) 16 hr getgoodgrade 44
White people are scum thieves of the world (Mar '13) Thu Tdex123 153
News A different dynamic: indie feature Zelos boasts... Thu Clive Palmer 1
News Teens arrested as police ramp up Melbourne carj... Thu Sniffy 1
Australia's Muslim Population Fastest Growing I... (Aug '12) Wed Glo53 182
A New Take Wed A Random Poster 209
More from around the web