Recruit Australians, Evans urges miners

There are 7 comments on the The Age story from Aug 8, 2012, titled Recruit Australians, Evans urges miners. In it, The Age reports that:

FEDERAL Skills Minister Chris Evans has told mining companies they must try harder to recruit Australian jobseekers if they want to be allowed to import foreign workers to meet skill shortages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Age.

“Free Speech in a Free World ”

Since: May 10

AUSTRALIAN

#1 Aug 9, 2012
We need more mining towns and with affordable demountable public housing that can be rented out by the government to entice their families to move.
When the mine dries out they move the accommodation to the next job.
Family sees more of each other and this brings more stability to the job site.
Foo

Nambour, Australia

#2 Aug 9, 2012
Yes,Chris Evans makes good sense on this. Its up to mining companies to prove their claims about a skill shortage , before they are allowed to bring in outside workers.....definately...

“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

#3 Aug 9, 2012
Foo wrote:
Yes,Chris Evans makes good sense on this. Its up to mining companies to prove their claims about a skill shortage , before they are allowed to bring in outside workers.....definately...
Labor all need to get on the same page. 1 minster says hire australians, another lets 2000 457's in, another allows conditions for a further 1500 457's to enter. NO-ONE is doing anything to get trades back into skills & increase TAFE places.

Both sides find it easier & cheaper to import Indian doctors than increase training facilities to increase locally trained doctors. Seems the same is now true for tradies.

“Free Speech in a Free World ”

Since: May 10

AUSTRALIAN

#4 Aug 10, 2012
chefboy812 wrote:
<quoted text>
Labor all need to get on the same page. 1 minster says hire australians, another lets 2000 457's in, another allows conditions for a further 1500 457's to enter. NO-ONE is doing anything to get trades back into skills & increase TAFE places.
Both sides find it easier & cheaper to import Indian doctors than increase training facilities to increase locally trained doctors. Seems the same is now true for tradies.
Our Federal government haven't got a clue.
Everything is just too hard to do for Australians
jessy james

Perth, Australia

#5 Sep 22, 2012
im available for work, driven haul trucks in quarries in victoria & not 1 company has called me back for mining jobs, not even for labouring work since iv been in perth for past 3 months. Obviously there is no shortage, or maybe its because im a skip.

Since: Oct 11

South Porcupine, Canada

#6 Sep 22, 2012
jessy james wrote:
im available for work, driven haul trucks in quarries in victoria & not 1 company has called me back for mining jobs, not even for labouring work since iv been in perth for past 3 months. Obviously there is no shortage, or maybe its because im a skip.
What's a skip? Anyway there are lots of mining jobs in Canada!

Since: Sep 12

Penrith, Australia

#7 Sep 22, 2012
The problem is unemployment benefits are about 400% too high, so the Australians prefer to:

i) laze about on their sofas, doped out on drugs and staring at the changing patterns on their 3D TV's.
ii) live in a town with goodsurfing beaches, rather than a town with good employment opportunities.
iii) do some study and get an accounting degree and wait for a paper-pushing job in air-conditioned offices.

Australia doesn't HAVE to bring in cheap labour, if Australians will get off their arses.

Australia WILL bring in cheap labour, if Australians don't get off their arses.

One solution would be to cut unemployment benefits by 75%, but no polititans would do this as the dole bludgers would squeal too much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Half Caste Mongrels found to be more Racist? (Nov '13) 16 hr Annika Gustava Li... 3
Exploit of Society in Religious Interest - GodB... 17 hr bretthutton 1
News Fight for ISIS, lose your citizenship, says Aus... 20 hr Thddeus lovelock 2
News Hanson: halal a 'money-making racket' Fri Porkman 4
I found an indian living in my garbage bin Thu ddarknight 3
Elocution lessons for indians by Taj smelly Thu Rauf lala 2
Why are white people so beautiful ? (Nov '13) Thu ddarknight 27
Gay Meet Ups in Melbourne (Oct '13) May 16 Ibbyzz 979
Sally Field, actress getting married at age 68 May 14 donnalee1966 45
More from around the web