Overtaxed or Overgoverned

Posted in the Australia Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

#1 Aug 18, 2012
So a few years ago I paid more tax than most people earn in a year & yesterday I get a bill from the ATO for another $1600 from that year for a deduction I claimed in the wrong year. For a small population we pay a hell of a lot in tax. But I (and Jack Daniels) thought is that really the problem or are our governments to fat & stupid? Queensland will be trimmed by 60,000 public servants saving $4b / yr. Bligh sold everything not nailed down. The Fed Gov't has never been larger than under Juliar plus massively overpaid thanks to the generous payrise recently. Do we need 3 levels of Gov't? Millions is wasted by having local elected councils & council staff? We have over 800 politicians costing us more than $200m/yr. Do we need a rep per 70,000 people? Could we survive with a rep per 100,000. Should gov't run business's? I say sell everything that's left (not much) to the free market & use legislation to make sure they act in our best interest.

The constitution states what the fed gov't is responsible for so get back to basics & do it. What major infrastructure programs have we had recently? Protect our borders & f*ck what the UN say. Give us a FREE world class health system. Create more uni & tafe places so anyone who qualifies can do the course of their choice. Welfare must be only short term not a career. The Defence force should take anyone who qualifies. More regional limited Visas to get migrants into areas where there are worker shortages instead of using 457's & backpackers. immigration based on assimilation. 1 award wage for everyone per occupation - no more big business getting a sweeter deal than small business.

Jack & I will think some more now.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#2 Aug 18, 2012
I think we should do away with the state govt. & keep the councils.
Still need locals to run the towns/cities etc. at a local level as they usually know best what's needed.
The state govts. are just another mob of overpaid fat snouts in an ever decreasing trough.
These days they seem to do nothing more than force stupid unneeded & unwanted rules on everyone & add another layer of tax to everything.

I know what you mean with deductions claimed in the wrong year.
One would think it wouldn't matter what year as you're entitled to the claim, but the tax office are morons & just like politicians don't see reality like the rest of us do.
Allan Snackbarr

Perth, Australia

#3 Aug 18, 2012
Both.
Drovers-Dog

Brisbane, Australia

#4 Aug 18, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
I think we should do away with the state govt. & keep the councils.
Still need locals to run the towns/cities etc. at a local level as they usually know best what's needed.
The state govts. are just another mob of overpaid fat snouts in an ever decreasing trough.
These days they seem to do nothing more than force stupid unneeded & unwanted rules on everyone & add another layer of tax to everything.
I know what you mean with deductions claimed in the wrong year.
One would think it wouldn't matter what year as you're entitled to the claim, but the tax office are morons & just like politicians don't see reality like the rest of us do.
Well Queensland did away with the Senate which was a small start. I think that in Q'ld where we have 89 State Gov Politicians we could do well by cutting that in half, after all Bob Katter has a Fed electorate two and a half times the size of Victoria and he manages ok maybe the Fed Electorates could by doubled in size reducing the number of Politician by half. Do away with the senate (The House of Bludgers).

“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

#5 Aug 18, 2012
just read in the age Abbott will cut 12,000 fed public servants immediately plus slash more out of health & education because these are state responsibilities.

And Juliar made gov't bigger with a new dept to oversee charities & not for profit organisations. She employees more in her office than Rudd, Howard & Keating combined - and most are Fabians.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#6 Aug 18, 2012
Drovers-Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Queensland did away with the Senate which was a small start. I think that in Q'ld where we have 89 State Gov Politicians we could do well by cutting that in half, after all Bob Katter has a Fed electorate two and a half times the size of Victoria and he manages ok maybe the Fed Electorates could by doubled in size reducing the number of Politician by half. Do away with the senate (The House of Bludgers).
It was abolished after a referendum where the QLD electors voted not to abolish it, tipical criminal actions of a govt., Labor of course, not giving a sh*t what the voters wanted.
In some ways it can be useful to have one, can sometimes stop parasites like Beatty & Bligh from doing stupid things the majority of voters are against.

But the way Australian politics is so corrupted nowdays it makes sense to get rid of the senate all together as they do nothing but sit around & turn good food into sh*t.
Drovers-Dog

Brisbane, Australia

#7 Aug 18, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It was abolished after a referendum where the QLD electors voted not to abolish it, tipical criminal actions of a govt., Labor of course, not giving a sh*t what the voters wanted.
In some ways it can be useful to have one, can sometimes stop parasites like Beatty & Bligh from doing stupid things the majority of voters are against.
But the way Australian politics is so corrupted nowdays it makes sense to get rid of the senate all together as they do nothing but sit around & turn good food into sh*t.
Well After the next election Labor with have a party comparable to Qld Labor Party, and the greens will be extinct, so Abbott might as well do without the Senate because he will rule over both houses by a huge majority hopefully wipe labor out completely and having Uncle Bob Katters Australia Party as the only Opposition.
Curiosity

Australia

#8 Aug 18, 2012
I like taxes but hate fines.
Sick of Australia

Carlton North, Australia

#9 Oct 25, 2012
I am sick and tired of:

1. Wasteful governments in this country. Bligh's ski ramp at $ 6 m in Brisbane for example

2.Non accountable governments - try writing to gillard. Does she ever answer? NO!!

3. High tax to pay for minorities,

4. Minorities - all telling the middle class what we can do, eat, thing and where we can go. Most are on welfare.

5. Big corporations running riot - insurance companies and power companies for example

guess what - I am black and middle class and sick of this place.It needs a peaceful revolution
Sick of Australia

Carlton North, Australia

#10 Oct 25, 2012
Australia is going out of business quickly.

Asia is much more competitive, not run by mad minorities, and Asian's have a much better attitude to work
McCaw

Australia

#11 Oct 25, 2012
Sick of Australia wrote:
I am sick and tired of:
1. Wasteful governments in this country. Bligh's ski ramp at $ 6 m in Brisbane for example
2.Non accountable governments - try writing to gillard. Does she ever answer? NO!!
3. High tax to pay for minorities,
4. Minorities - all telling the middle class what we can do, eat, thing and where we can go. Most are on welfare.
5. Big corporations running riot - insurance companies and power companies for example
guess what - I am black and middle class and sick of this place.It needs a peaceful revolution
Have you tried writing to Obama?
Labor -lol

Perth, Australia

#12 Oct 26, 2012
The increased taxes haven't stopped. Watch out as Wayne Swine will be well short of his pathetic $1.5 billion surplus that is being devoured by illegal boat people ,uncontrolled spending and foreign Aid.
They will add in sneaky increases here and there. Guaranteed.

For example under the disguise to control alcohol consumption, Labor want to put a minimum price of $10 A bottle for wine.

“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

#13 Oct 26, 2012
Treasury has predicted revenue from the MRRT will now be $5.3b over 4 years just a little lower than that d*ckhead treasurers estimate of $13.4b.

Over the next 8 years we have a multi billion dollar NDIS that Swan won't release the costs or funding to.$6b extra in education without saying where the money is coming from. a pathetic $2b over 13 years for the murray without saying where the money is coming from. On current prices from 2015 gov't will be down $4b/yr from CT.

you socialist labor f*ckwits - how the f*ck do you have confidence in this idiot?
llord droll

Mitcham, Australia

#14 Oct 26, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
I think we should do away with the state govt. & keep the councils.
Still need locals to run the towns/cities etc. at a local level as they usually know best what's needed.
The state govts. are just another mob of overpaid fat snouts in an ever decreasing trough.
These days they seem to do nothing more than force stupid unneeded & unwanted rules on everyone & add another layer of tax to everything.
I know what you mean with deductions claimed in the wrong year.
One would think it wouldn't matter what year as you're entitled to the claim, but the tax office are morons & just like politicians don't see reality like the rest of us do.
the states administer the hospitals and schools as far as i know
llord droll

Mitcham, Australia

#15 Oct 26, 2012
Sick of Australia wrote:
Australia is going out of business quickly.
Asia is much more competitive, not run by mad minorities, and Asian's have a much better attitude to work
well gosh move there - go work in the china - or vietnam - you will love it .

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#16 Oct 26, 2012
Ha Ha Ha get back to the Daily Telegraph, your opinions are as misinformed as your statistics.

True we are over governed and over taxed, the problem is for "who" is this being done for. Governments are owned by financial interests and dance to their tune.

If, you knew anything Chefboy at the very minimum the people are taxed as means to minimise currency devaluation by removing money from the system. What better way than to remove most money from the common people rather than the rich who have the means to avoid tax.

For the financial powers have the money spigot on 24/7. Left without a countermeasures like tax to remove the excess dollars awash in the system, hyperinflation would have blown the system up long ago.

Expect more tax into the future not less, the money printing is about to accelerate from very fast to supersonic speed.
llord droll

Mitcham, Australia

#17 Oct 26, 2012
Labor -lol wrote:
The increased taxes haven't stopped. Watch out as Wayne Swine will be well short of his pathetic $1.5 billion surplus that is being devoured by illegal boat people ,uncontrolled spending and foreign Aid.
- do have any evidence to support your free ranging assertions ?- just curious
They will add in sneaky increases here and there. Guaranteed.
For example under the disguise to control alcohol consumption, Labor want to put a minimum price of $10 A bottle for wine.
- hmm i think the intention here that based on the concerns of wide ranging expert medical opinion the govt. is looking at reducing the enormous cost to the taxpayer of alcohol related illness by setting a minimum price for the basic alcohol unit - in accordance with what the medical establishment has recommended - and if this forces down consumption then the tax take will reduce to .
Foo

Brisbane, Australia

#18 Oct 26, 2012
I think a lot of current problems come from the push for the globalized economy....NO , I'm not refering to NWO conspiracy crap , the move towards globalizing all trade and finance......it's being done too quickly , and the negative effects on some countries are being neglected in the process...its being done to benefit the corporate players , rather than to benefit all international trade and co-operation.....Australia seems to be far more influenced by global events now , that it did ,in the past , with fewer controls to counteract against it.

“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

#19 Oct 26, 2012
Australian Republic wrote:
Ha Ha Ha get back to the Daily Telegraph, your opinions are as misinformed as your statistics.
True we are over governed and over taxed, the problem is for "who" is this being done for. Governments are owned by financial interests and dance to their tune.
If, you knew anything Chefboy at the very minimum the people are taxed as means to minimise currency devaluation by removing money from the system. What better way than to remove most money from the common people rather than the rich who have the means to avoid tax.
For the financial powers have the money spigot on 24/7. Left without a countermeasures like tax to remove the excess dollars awash in the system, hyperinflation would have blown the system up long ago.
Expect more tax into the future not less, the money printing is about to accelerate from very fast to supersonic speed.
If Gillard & Swan don't have the balls to run the country then they should quit - they run the country no one else so please stop this crap of Jewish bankers & corporations & all that sh*t running the country - they take instruction from the government not the other way.

And why do we want to devalue the currency? We are predominately an import country, rarely do we export more than we import, so the high dollar is helping us with our trade balance - and our exports don't seemed to have dropped since we passed parity. Almost all international trade is done in US dollars so a high aussie dollar is better for us.

Lets look at countries that are highly taxed like us - Portugal av 43%, Spain av 43%, Italy av 44%, USA av 42%, Japan 50%, France 48%, Greece 51%, UK 50%. High taxation helps how? Most asian countries have very low tax - mostly consumption based around 17%.

Nordic states av 54% & require import restrictions to protect there economy + high company taxes (30% payroll tax) but have very low income tax & a consumption tax of around 25%+ extremely high alcohol & energy tax.

To suggest we could have hyperinflation is stupidity. And what countries have experienced hyperinflation in recent memory - Baltic & Balkan states coming out from the old USSR dominance & most south American countries & Zimbabwe. And how does hyperinflation occur - when governments continue to create money (print money) & borrow heavily without offsetting with increased taxes. So if Labor didn't borrow heavily, which I argue, then we don't need taxes. And the government doesn't print money above inflation & GDP growth so there is no chance of over supply of cash. Labor is keeping cash in the system by lowering interest rates but they can only go so low.

We have more chance of deflation then hyperinflation. 18 months ago we were 3.5 to 3.8% inflation (we cruised along at times 4.5% under howard) now we are 2% & slowing. If electricity prices hadn't risen more than 15% we may have been a less than 1% inflation rate this last 12 months rather than 2%.

How do you fix a deflated economy? More money to spend.


“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

#20 Oct 26, 2012
Foo wrote:
I think a lot of current problems come from the push for the globalized economy....NO , I'm not refering to NWO conspiracy crap , the move towards globalizing all trade and finance......it's being done too quickly , and the negative effects on some countries are being neglected in the process...its being done to benefit the corporate players , rather than to benefit all international trade and co-operation.....Australia seems to be far more influenced by global events now , that it did ,in the past , with fewer controls to counteract against it.
Do you think a global economy is the problem or that we were put into it at an unfair advantage by slashing our tariffs without waiting for other countries to match? And by signing trade deals with countries like the USA who won't allow us to sell into their market with farm subsidies & yet they dump sh*t here subsidised to the hilt.

Our car industry has died a long slow death since Hawke cut tarifs & yet Japan & Korea didn't cut theirs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
asian real estate agent turns to prostitution 17 min Knobbbb 2
Should Obama punish North Korea for Monkey jibe? 20 min Clinton luvs lewi... 0
Why should Australians fear from Muslims? (Dec '07) 20 min Spike 46,043
Australia is going under water. Yes our 1st wor... 22 min sydney smells lik... 2
Indians are superior to whites 22 min Madonna Cantsingh 20
pubic hair on mannequins 29 min LMR 80
Pubic hair on Samoan women 41 min Grassclipper 1
WAR India v Australia, who will win? (Jun '14) 1 hr _The Sex guru_ 9,171
Gay Meet Ups in Melbourne (Oct '13) 2 hr melbmonster 620
Michelle Bridges and the gov/media making women... 6 hr Goats milk Australia 35
More from around the web