Almost Half of Australians Can't Read...

Almost Half of Australians Can't Read and Write: Survey

Posted in the Australia Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Low IQ Convict

Kensington, Australia

#1 Dec 10, 2012
Almost half Australians can't read, write: survey

It seems improbable, but an international survey indicates that nearly half of all Australians can't read or write properly.
The survey, which involved analysts from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, found that 7 million Australians are below the acceptable benchmark for understanding their own language.
And 70 per cent of the population does not adequately understand how numbers work - limiting their ability to perform basic tasks like reading medicine bottles.
Fifty-one-year-old Barbara left school at the age of 15, not able to read or write properly.
When she joined the workforce she was able to hide the problem, but it wasn't always easy.
"Once I was working for a company and I had to get up on stage and introduce people from little cards, you know their names and that, and I couldn't pronounce their names because I couldn't spell them and I couldn't read them," she said.
"That was just humiliating, that was. That was probably the lowest point I reckon."
READ MORE:-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-02-21/almost-...
Elias

Australia

#2 Dec 10, 2012
Low IQ Convict wrote:
It seems improbable, but an international survey indicates that nearly half of all Australians can't read or write properly.
And your point is?
Anon

Hampton, Australia

#3 Dec 10, 2012
What's with the "Convict" remark? You will find that most countries in the world have a lower IQ based on the fact that a majority of our worldwide populations are too reliant on predictive texts, spell check etc. There are too many posts on this forum insulting us Aussies! Yes I agree that people these days are atrocious at basic math and English literature/writing skills, but to just mention Australians as the country with this international problem is a bit rich coming from someone who googled some statistics and posted them on a forum!
Low IQ Convict wrote:
The survey, which involved analysts from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, found that 7 million Australians are below the acceptable benchmark for understanding their own language.
And 70 per cent of the population does not adequately understand how numbers work - limiting their ability to perform basic tasks like reading medicine bottles.
Fifty-one-year-old Barbara left school at the age of 15, not able to read or write properly.
When she joined the workforce she was able to hide the problem, but it wasn't always easy.
"Once I was working for a company and I had to get up on stage and introduce people from little cards, you know their names and that, and I couldn't pronounce their names because I couldn't spell them and I couldn't read them," she said.
"That was just humiliating, that was. That was probably the lowest point I reckon."
R u a Smug

Kensington, Australia

#4 Dec 10, 2012
The problem with Australians is they act as self righteous smugs, they are taught from the beginning that they are superior to others but they are not, they are found to be even dumb and immoral than others, which is a root of every problem.

A self-righteous person acts superior to his peers because he believes his moral standards are perfect. This "moral smugness" is condescending by nature and is usually found offensive by others.

Self-righteousness is a way unintelligent and non-athletic people can retain a sense of superiority. Various cults and religions promote self-righteousness in an attempt to convert the average person, who feels immoral by comparison.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#5 Dec 10, 2012
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
And your point is?
Old proverb: "Once in a while even a blind chicken finds a corn".

For once the Kensington Klot has spouted something at least half way true (although as always his intention is far from constructive).

For a start any male in this country who is articulate and literate is automatically written off by his peers as "gay". There seems to be a frenzied presumption against any male who can communicate in a form better than three grunts and a belch. In Australia this inverted snobbery is rampant wherever we look.

It spills over into written communication too (please! DON'T get me started!)

In my travels I have heard even the grimiest, sweatiest German construction site laborers conversing in formally flawless German. Yet in the Anglophone world there seems to be a stark lack of pride in language, at least among an uncomfortably large fraction of the population.

Not sure what all this signifies ... whether we are entering an era when 'the Bogan's time has come' but 'three grunts and a belch' is not going to keep Australia at the cutting edge of a world based on four grunts and a belch.:)

Australia

#6 Dec 10, 2012
R u a Smug wrote:
The problem with Australians is they act as self righteous smugs, they are taught from the beginning that they are superior to others but they are not, they are found to be even dumb and immoral than others, which is a root of every problem.
A self-righteous person acts superior to his peers because he believes his moral standards are perfect. This "moral smugness" is condescending by nature and is usually found offensive by others.
Self-righteousness is a way unintelligent and non-athletic people can retain a sense of superiority. Various cults and religions promote self-righteousness in an attempt to convert the average person, who feels immoral by comparison.
Yup ... you had your moment of glory with your solitary corn. And now you've lost it again.

Please remember to not spit on the pavement. We wouldn't want little old ladies tripping over in the potholes burned by your hallmark venom.
yeah right

Australia

#7 Dec 10, 2012
These people probably aren't literate in their first language, let alone in English.
Lower IQ Asian

Melbourne, Australia

#8 Dec 10, 2012
R u a Smug wrote:
Aren't you acting a little smug, self-righteous and superior to others, yourself? Hence this thread .. and your plethora of other threads running Aussies down.
no smugness just facts

Melbourne, Australia

#9 Dec 10, 2012
Low IQ Convict wrote:
We still have a higher literacy rate than say, India and China.
btw, athletic people can be and are condescending too.
no smugness just facts

Melbourne, Australia

#10 Dec 10, 2012
This title of this SPAM thread conflicts with the title of another of your SPAM threads : "Most Australians are uneducated and from poor labour background".

"Almost half of Australians can't read and write".

It can't be both. Get your brain together.
Elias

Australia

#11 Dec 10, 2012
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text> Yet in the Anglophone world there seems to be a stark lack of pride in language, at least among an uncomfortably large fraction of the population.
My father's education in England is often referred to when he finds holes in my written and even spoken English. He of course is convinced that his obsessiveness for punctuation and grammar was repititiously drilled into him by teachers in the British boarding school he attended in Singapore and reinforced in the British higher education system. I'm sure this could also be an intergenerational demise of the literacy with less emphasis on correct English usage and greater pressure to learn far more content in social studies, math and science.
yeah right

Australia

#12 Dec 10, 2012
This research was carried out during a huge spike in immigration from India and China via the education system.

The Howard government privatized the migrant english program while selling higher education to the Chinese and Indians.
Are you so stupid that you truly believe that "Australians" doesn't include those who gained their citizenship through the privatization of education?

You are an idiot. Probably a migrant from China or India who can't put two and two together to make four.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#13 Dec 10, 2012
R u a Smug wrote:
Australians in general do not tolerate smugness, condescension and arrogance very well, perhaps the reactions you are getting from australians are simply a reflection of your own smugness, condescension and arrogance. In your posts you come across as precisely what you criticise.
Go back and read what you have written and see if it doesn't fit the definition of self righteous.
Listing all the faults of australia demonstrates your perceived moral and intellectual superiority [smugness]. Presenting negative statistics demonstrates your perceived sense of moral correctness, that you are of a higher order,[self-righteous].
Asstralian

Australia

#14 Dec 10, 2012
Low IQ Convict wrote:
OI OI OI I want a beer and some dogs to f**k who the f**k needs to read
yeah right

Australia

#15 Dec 10, 2012
Low IQ Convict wrote:
This research was carried out during a huge spike in immigration from India and China via the education system.

The Howard government privatized the migrant english program while selling higher education to the Chinese and Indians.
Are you so stupid that you truly believe that "Australians" doesn't include those who gained their citizenship through the privatization of education? Who paid for their grades? Who can't read or speak the lingua franca of this country?

You are an idiot. Probably a migrant from China or India who can't put two and two together to make four. The ABS will have breakdowns of how many people in each suburb speak English at home. Look for yourself and do the work - or are you one of the millions who came here to buy their education and still can't read, think, or write properly?

Australia

#16 Dec 10, 2012
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
My father's education in England is often referred to when he finds holes in my written and even spoken English. He of course is convinced that his obsessiveness for punctuation and grammar was repititiously drilled into him by teachers in the British boarding school he attended in Singapore and reinforced in the British higher education system.
Learning by rote still has its place, much to the chagrin of latter-day Trendoids. Some might argue that formality of language tends to stifle flexibility of thought. But I would argue that it does the opposite. With the communication skills taken care of to the point of being automatic it frees the rest of the mind up to explore new ground.
Elias wrote:
I'm sure this could also be an intergenerational demise of the literacy with less emphasis on correct English usage and greater pressure to learn far more content in social studies, math and science.
Languages are dynamic, and none more so than English. Today's slang becomes tomorrow's essential jargon. And as technology advances, entirely new words are needed or old ones re-purposed. Meanwhile we have long adopted words from other languages, especially when a foreign word seems to do a better job of conveying / summing up a concept. So with all these unsettling influences some English speakers get left behind further than others.

I'm not convinced that spreading ourselves over wider fields of learning (like those you cite) is at fault. I recall the years when I was most actively a student and found that stimulus from varied academic disciplines forced a drive to avoid ambiguity in any of them, leading to a transference of linguistic skills between them.

I believe that language skills are enhanced most by being continually challenged.:)
Asstralian

Australia

#17 Dec 10, 2012
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
And your point is?
OI OI OI Me Weenie Is Very Pointy It Looks Like a Bashing Stick
Elias

Australia

#18 Dec 10, 2012
yeah right wrote:
Are you so stupid that you truly believe that "Australians" doesn't include those who gained their citizenship through the privatization of education?
You are an idiot. Probably a migrant from China or India who can't put two and two together to make four.
Good point.
Elias

Australia

#19 Dec 10, 2012
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Learning by rote still has its place, much to the chagrin of latter-day Trendoids. Some might argue that formality of language tends to stifle flexibility of thought. But I would argue that it does the opposite. With the communication skills taken care of to the point of being automatic it frees the rest of the mind up to explore new ground.
<quoted text>
Languages are dynamic, and none more so than English. Today's slang becomes tomorrow's essential jargon. And as technology advances, entirely new words are needed or old ones re-purposed. Meanwhile we have long adopted words from other languages, especially when a foreign word seems to do a better job of conveying / summing up a concept. So with all these unsettling influences some English speakers get left behind further than others.
I'm not convinced that spreading ourselves over wider fields of learning (like those you cite) is at fault. I recall the years when I was most actively a student and found that stimulus from varied academic disciplines forced a drive to avoid ambiguity in any of them, leading to a transference of linguistic skills between them.
I believe that language skills are enhanced most by being continually challenged.:)
Agree with your comments. Even at my ripe old age it's never too late to improve my English language skills.
Sex Tourist

Australia

#20 Dec 10, 2012
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Old proverb: "Once in a while even a blind chicken finds a corn".
For once the Kensington Klot has spouted something at least half way true (although as always his intention is far from constructive).
For a start any male in this country who is articulate and literate is automatically written off by his peers as "gay". There seems to be a frenzied presumption against any male who can communicate in a form better than three grunts and a belch. In Australia this inverted snobbery is rampant wherever we look.
It spills over into written communication too (please! DON'T get me started!)
In my travels I have heard even the grimiest, sweatiest German construction site laborers conversing in formally flawless German. Yet in the Anglophone world there seems to be a stark lack of pride in language, at least among an uncomfortably large fraction of the population.
Not sure what all this signifies ... whether we are entering an era when 'the Bogan's time has come' but 'three grunts and a belch' is not going to keep Australia at the cutting edge of a world based on four grunts and a belch.:)
I once travelled to Germany to do a hot steaming dump on a German girl's face. The scat culture is alive and strong amongst the krauts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White people are scum thieves of the world (Mar '13) 2 hr Tdex123 153
News A different dynamic: indie feature Zelos boasts... 5 hr Clive Palmer 1
News Teens arrested as police ramp up Melbourne carj... 5 hr Sniffy 1
May I have a gay massage? 11 hr Rauf Iala 1
Australia's Muslim Population Fastest Growing I... (Aug '12) 11 hr Glo53 182
Which race women is best on bed ? (Oct '12) 11 hr Rauf Iala 44
A New Take 12 hr A Random Poster 209
More from around the web