Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

Why do australians hate aborigines. whenever i talk to australians they do not have a good word to say about them.
are people taught in schools that aborigines are inferior?
are aborigines considered lazy and violent by the media?
what is it?
grace

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

we dont hate them as much as we hate lebs... but anyway little does the world realise aus is rather racist... but aborgines are known for their drunken violent behaviour as well as dole bludgers.... who get a free ride for being black
darren

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

simply bcoz the abos hate the aussies and vice versa. capeesh!
grace

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

darren.... true words of a legend
Cams2

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

It's an interesting question but it's a bit like saying why do Americans dislike Blacks or why do the British not like Pakistani's (or Irish for that matter)

Most people will agree that the traditional aborigines who tend to live in the bush and aren't influenced by the whiteman are pretty good people. Not to say that others are not good people but the whiteman's influence has nearly completely evaporated most of their traditions. Alcohol and unfortunately petrol (gasoline)sniffing has ruined their culture.

I think the resentment lies in the fact that Aboriginals tend to have many benefits as far as government handouts and programs go in comparison to the average non-aboriginal.
(eg higher social security benefits, easier access to tertiary education, cheaper housing etc)
This seems totally unfair, but when you look at the stats, it is true that people from an Aboriginal background have a much lower live expectancy as well as much greater difficulty obtaining a job or even getting a decent education.

Also the fact that someone can call themselves Aboriginal if they only have a very small percentage of Aboriginal blood. I have spoken to a friend a mine who has 1/8 aboriginal blood and considers herself to be of Aboriginal extraction. She said that just because she looked 'whitish' didn't mean that her spirituality and traditions should be ignored. I understood where she was coming from, but most would just see people like her as a sponge.(For the record, no she wasn't)

Really it's just 'natural' racism. No matter how many laws are changed, people will always be inherently racist. I remember living in Sri Lanka as a child and was shocked to learn that they discriminated amongst their own people. The lighter skinned folk from the Hills (ie Kandy) were always thought of a superior than your average darker skinned guy from the city. If you were Tamil (very dark)- forget it.

Personally I have nothing against Aboriginals in general. Everyone is treated on their merits. In fact I even trained and boxed for a couple of years at a gym which was run and managed by indigenous folk. All top blokes, and pretty good fighters too. Luckily the Irish blood in me was up for the challenge! Just like in all cultures, you get your bad eggs spoiling it for the rest, so yes there are some absolutely terrible people out there who happen to be Aboriginal. Athough we have had troubles with large aboriginal gangs (usually teens) which have been terrorising a few neighborhoods lately (stealing cars, house breaks etc).There are also times when you will avoid certain parts of town due to the amount of intoxicated youths congregating. Many could argue that they are mainly Aboriginals but when you look into it normally these gangs are from the outer suburbs or indeed overseas counties (which opens another can of worms). Some gangs are certainly Aboriginal, so it really depends on also where you live. Where I live there aren't many problems.

So, yes I suppose you have a point that many Aussies will not like Aborigines and vice versa. Usually it is just a cultural misunderstanding though as most people you meet will always have that 'token' friend who ‘isn't like all the rest’ and hence can happily say they are not racist. Hopefully this gives you a slightly better understanding.
Elias

Maribyrnong, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

Dear Mr Cams
You noticedsomething about Sri Lankans that Alexander Downer is unable to determine - Sinhalese are racist against Tamils too

Dear Mr Jester,

Up to 1965 the Australian government classified aboriginal people as part of the flora nd fauna of Australia - that may give you an idea of how they were treated - and why its taking a while for white Australia to get used to them as "australians"

Of course now the tables have turned and aborigines recieve huge financial incentives - however there seems to be an accountability problem with the peak aborigianl bodies funded by the government and where they are spending our tax

There is also a culture of welfare dependancy (colloqially refereed to as bludging) where the younger generation dont see the need to better themselves - this is a tragedy
Jammy Jester

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

Thanks for your comments

The native americans, african people, native canadian and the maoris all suffer from similar social problems. one thing they have in common is that they have all been persistently oppressed by europeans.

after a while a sense of hopelessness will permeate into a culture.

the dependency culture is result of generations of oppression.

why can't australians see that their ancestors have created the aborigines problems?

Do yo think the aborigines would have had these social problems if they had not been colonised?

Hatred cannot build a harmonious environment so why bother?
Elias

Maribyrnong, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

***why can't australians see that their ancestors have created the aborigines problems?***

- They dont want to, also the secondary history curriculum has been created to downplay the genocide of aborigines and this hasnt siginificantly been changed - invariably everybody put the blame on them

***Do yo think the aborigines would have had these social problems if they had not been colonised?***

Obviously any indigenous population left to their own devices would have continued unmolested - remember the coke bottle in the movie the "Gods must be Crazy" - the otherwise isolated tribesman became materialistic and started fight each other for this coke bottle that fell from a passing aeroplane

***Hatred cannot build a harmonious environment so why bother?***

I think truth and reconciliation council would go a long way to heal a country from its past - unfortunately we have a prime minister who is unable to say "sorry" to aboriginals

“The world as I know it”

Since: Dec 06

Sydney

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

Judged:

Elias wrote:
***why can't australians see that their ancestors have created the aborigines problems?***
- They dont want to, also the secondary history curriculum has been created to downplay the genocide of aborigines and this hasnt siginificantly been changed - invariably everybody put the blame on them
***Do yo think the aborigines would have had these social problems if they had not been colonised?***
Obviously any indigenous population left to their own devices would have continued unmolested - remember the coke bottle in the movie the "Gods must be Crazy" - the otherwise isolated tribesman became materialistic and started fight each other for this coke bottle that fell from a passing aeroplane
***Hatred cannot build a harmonious environment so why bother?***
I think truth and reconciliation council would go a long way to heal a country from its past - unfortunately we have a prime minister who is unable to say "sorry" to aboriginals
are you serious

the coke bottle analogy ROFL

do you ever think aborigines need to be responsible for their behaviour like everyone else or do the lazy ones feed off people like who support their blame game.

there ar emany amazing aboriginals out there working hard living life and you stereotype them as helpless victims

and saying sorry will make it all better

maybe the current policy of empowering the individuals will work a lot better instead a giving billions to aboriginal leaders who squander it all and leave their communities poor and desperate
Elias

Maribyrnong, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2007

theworldasweknowit wrote:
<quoted text>
are you serious
the coke bottle analogy ROFL
do you ever think aborigines need to be responsible for their behaviour like everyone else or do the lazy ones feed off people like who support their blame game.
there ar emany amazing aboriginals out there working hard living life and you stereotype them as helpless victims
and saying sorry will make it all better
maybe the current policy of empowering the individuals will work a lot better instead a giving billions to aboriginal leaders who squander it all and leave their communities poor and desperate
Two different issues
1. Saying sorry is an admission of historic guilt - it allows aussies to move on (isnt that what you want)
2. Billions squandered - ATSIC and other peak aboriginal bodies funded by the Aust Govt - there has yet to be accountability and whether the money has been well spent. Given the condition of aborigines I doubt it. Part ofthe blame must go to aborigines in charge.

“The world as I know it”

Sydney

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Judged:

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
Two different issues
1. Saying sorry is an admission of historic guilt - it allows aussies to move on (isnt that what you want)
2. Billions squandered - ATSIC and other peak aboriginal bodies funded by the Aust Govt - there has yet to be accountability and whether the money has been well spent. Given the condition of aborigines I doubt it. Part ofthe blame must go to aborigines in charge.
well thats where this new incentive where they can buy their own houses i will be interested to see how it works. i remember an article stating that the higher the level of home ownership in a society the more cohesive the society was (regardless of skin colour) because when people owned something they valued it

“The world as I know it”

Sydney

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Judged:

and we are saying sorry for our forebears actions not ours
Elias

Maribyrnong, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Judged:

<quoted text>
well thats where this new incentive where they can buy their own houses i will be interested to see how it works. i remember an article stating that the higher the level of home ownership in a society the more cohesive the society was (regardless of skin colour) because when people owned something they valued it
Yeah I read an article like that as well. There may be some truth to this. Of course something needs to be done about the treatment by welfare recipients of public housing in this country - people (regardless of their skin colour) seem to treat tax payer funded housing rather poorly - if you believe Today Tonight
Elias

Maribyrnong, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

apologise for the actions of our forebears - we have the opportunity to wipe the slate clean
Jammy Jester

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Judged:

what are the recent crimes the australians committed on the aborigines

“The world as I know it”

Sydney

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Judged:

Jammy Jester wrote:
<quoted text>
what are the recent crimes the australians committed on the aborigines
will you go and apologise for the crimes of those in jail who have the same genetic make up as you? if a murderer in jail is of your same race is it up to you to say sorry? is it fair that because he is the same race as you that your reputation should be tarnished and you seen as the same as him?
grace

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Judged:

well i believe so..... you say that of lebs right so why cant they do the same to us....
Jammy Jester

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Judged:

<quoted text>
will you go and apologise for the crimes of those in jail who have the same genetic make up as you?
if i feel i have directly or indirectly benefited from those crimes, i would apologise. or even if i had stood by and watch without saying a word i would apologise.
<quoted text>
if a murderer in jail is of your same race is it up to you to say sorry?
no. but i can't see the relevance of your question as no one has even been accountable for the crimes committed against the aborigines.
<quoted text>
is it fair that because he is the same race as you that your reputation should be tarnished and you seen as the same as him?
no you should not be tarnished, but in this ugly world people are grouped together. on an isolated incident such as a murder if a white person does it, then they are generally treated by the media and public as an isolated person. in the cases of an oppressed minority the public and the media will treat the crime as a group of people.

a practise which happens in england is when there is a crime if they are white, the headlines would read "a man murdered..." and if they are black, "a black man murdered..."

Is this the case in australia???
grace

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Judged:

well wheres your accountability then you sod of a pom... it was your english ancestors that benefited by ridding themselves of pety thieves....
Jammy Jester

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2007

Judged:

grace wrote:
well wheres your accountability then you sod of a pom... it was your english ancestors that benefited by ridding themselves of pety thieves....
why are you so hostile. i just want to understand why australians hate the aborigines

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 156
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••