UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2007

Gjergj Kastrioti – Scanderbeg WARRIOR KING OF ALBANIA

They are announcing the First Private Screening in the heart of Manhattan on Nov. 2nd, 2007 @ 9PM in Kaufmann Concert Hall at 92nd Street Y

http://illyriaentertainment.com/premiere.htm

Please forward this Historic Event to your friends.

Proud Albanian
GUIDO

Torino, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

Albo wrote:
Gjergj Kastrioti – Scanderbeg WARRIOR KING OF ALBANIA
They are announcing the First Private Screening in the heart of Manhattan on Nov. 2nd, 2007 @ 9PM in Kaufmann Concert Hall at 92nd Street Y
http://illyriaentertainment.com/premiere.htm
Please forward this Historic Event to your friends.
Proud Albanian
really interesting
i'm tellin it to my two Albanian friends (even class mates)that i had
knew here in Torino and that now live in NY with their family..
i know you Albos are very proud of him.I saw their faces shining when our History teacher talked to us at school about the great resistance ot Albanians leaded by Kastrioti that kept away the turks from Italy and Western Europe.

Respect Albos!!
Guido , Torino
Albo

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2007

Judged:

Guido

Thanks for your kind words, we have as much respect for the Italians as you have for the Albanians.
This must be a popular screening they have sold out of the tickets !!
Manfred Mann

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2007

Judged:

But Georgios Kastriotis was GREEK.

Lokk what I have founded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Buy High-Sell Low

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2007

Judged:

Manfred Mann wrote:
You "discovered" America once again,if you are getting your information from youtube,you should wake up ASAP.
dritan dragovoja

Dublin, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Judged:

here are your answers taken from Kosovaweb@groups.msn.com;
Gjergj (Albanian: George) Kastrioti was born in Kruja, from Gjon Kastrioti, lord of Middle Albania, who was obliged by the Ottomans to pay tribute to the Empire. To assure the fidelity of local rulers the Sultan used to take their sons as hostage and bring them up in his court. Gjergj Kastrioti attended military school in the Ottoman Empire and was named Iskander Bey which in Turkish means Lord Alexandre.
He was distinguished as one of the best officers in several Ottoman campaigns both in Asia Minor and in Europe, and the Sultan appointed him General. He even fought against Greeks, Serbs and Hungarians, and some sources says that he used to maintain secret links with Raguse, Venice, Vladislas of Hungary et Alphonse V of Naples. Sultan Murat II gave him the title Vali which made him the General Governor of some provinces in central Albania. He was respected everywhere but he missed his country.
dritan dragovoja

Dublin, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Judged:

2;2
In 1443, during the battle against the Hungarians of Hunyadi in Nish (in present day Serbia), he abandoned the Ottoman Army and captured Kruja, his father's seat in middle Albania. Above the castle he rose the Albanian flag, a red flag with the black double-headed eagle, the present-day Albanian flag, and pronounced to his countrymen the famous words: "I have not brought you liberty, I found it here, among you". He managed to unite all Albanian princes at the town of Lezha (League of Lezha, 1444) and united them under his command to fight against the Turks.
During the next 25 years he fought, with forces rarely exceeding 20,000 against the most powerful army of that time and defeated it for 25 years. In 1450 the Turkish army was led by the Sultan Murad II in person, who died after his defeat in the way back. Two other times, in 1466 and 1467, Mehmed II, the conqueror of Constantinople, led the Turkish army himself against Skenderbeg and failed too. The Ottoman Empire attempted to conquer Kruja 24 times and failed all 24 of them.
Skenderbeg's military successes evoked a good deal of interest and admiration of the Papal state, Venice and Naples, themselves threatened by the growing Ottoman power across the Adriatic. The Albanian warrior played his hand with a good deal of political and diplomatic skill in his dealings with the three Italian states. Hoping to strengthen and expand the last Christian bridgehead in the Balkans, they provided Skenderbeg with money, supplies and occasionally with troops. One of his most powerful and consistent supporters was Alfonso the Magnanimous (1416-1458), the Aragone king of Naples, who decided to take Skenderbeg under his protection as vassal in 1451, shortly after the latter had scored his second victory against Murad II. In addition to financial assistance, the King of Naples undertook to supply the Albanian leader with troops, military equipment as well as with sanctuary for himself and his family if such a need should arise. As an active defender of the Christian cause in the Balkans, Skenderbeg was also closely involved with the politics of four Popes, one of them being Pius II (1458-1464) or Aeneas Sylvius Piccolomini, the Renaissance humanist, writer and diplomat.
Profoundly shaken by the fall of Constantinople in 1453, Pius II tried to organise a new crusade against the Turks; consequently he did his best to come to Skenderbeg's aid, as two of his predecessors Nicholas V and Calixtus III, had done before him. This policy was continued by his successor, Paul II,(1464-1473).They gave him the title Athleta Christi.
For a quarter of a century he and his country prevented Turks from invading Catholic Western Europe.
After his death from natural causes in 1468 in Lezha, his soldiers resisted the Turks for the next 12 years. In 1480 Albania was finally conquered by the Ottoman Empire. When the Turks found the grave of Skenderbeg in Saint Nicholas church of Lezha, they opened it and held his bones like talismans for luck. In 1480 the Turks invaded Italy and conquered the City of Otranto.
Skenderbeg's posthumous renown was by no means confined to his own country. Voltaire thought the Byzantine Empire would have survived had it possesed a leader of his quality. A number of poets and composers have also drawn inspiration from his military career. The French sixteenth-century poet Ronsard wrote a poem about him and so did the nineteenth-century American poet Longfellow. Antonio Vivaldi, too, composed an opera entitled Scanderbeg.
Skenderbeg today is the National Hero of Albania. Many museums and monuments are raised in his honour around Albania, and among them the Museum of Skenderbeg in his famous castle in Kruja.
Bibliography:
Noli, Fan S.: George Castrioti Scanderbeg, New York, 1947
Logoreci, Anton: The Albanians, London, 1977.
dritan dragovoja

Dublin, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Judged:

taken from; Kosovaweb@groups.msn.com /Gjergj (Albanian: George) Kastrioti was born in Kruja, from Gjon Kastrioti, lord of Middle Albania, who was obliged by the Ottomans to pay tribute to the Empire. To assure the fidelity of local rulers the Sultan used to take their sons as hostage and bring them up in his court. Gjergj Kastrioti attended military school in the Ottoman Empire and was named Iskander Bey which in Turkish means Lord Alexandre.

He was distinguished as one of the best officers in several Ottoman campaigns both in Asia Minor and in Europe, and the Sultan appointed him General. He even fought against Greeks, Serbs and Hungarians, and some sources says that he used to maintain secret links with Raguse, Venice, Vladislas of Hungary et Alphonse V of Naples. Sultan Murat II gave him the title Vali which made him the General Governor of some provinces in central Albania. He was respected everywhere but he missed his country.

In 1443, during the battle against the Hungarians of Hunyadi in Nish (in present day Serbia), he abandoned the Ottoman Army and captured Kruja, his father's seat in middle Albania. Above the castle he rose the Albanian flag, a red flag with the black double-headed eagle, the present-day Albanian flag, and pronounced to his countrymen the famous words: "I have not brought you liberty, I found it here, among you". He managed to unite all Albanian princes at the town of Lezha (League of Lezha, 1444) and united them under his command to fight against the Turks.

During the next 25 years he fought, with forces rarely exceeding 20,000 against the most powerful army of that time and defeated it for 25 years. In 1450 the Turkish army was led by the Sultan Murad II in person, who died after his defeat in the way back. Two other times, in 1466 and 1467, Mehmed II, the conqueror of Constantinople, led the Turkish army himself against Skenderbeg and failed too. The Ottoman Empire attempted to conquer Kruja 24 times and failed all 24 of them.

Since: Apr 07

Vlora

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Judged:

Manfred Mann wrote:
since when greeks fight for albania rather than greece? if he was greek he could have saved greece, it was much closer too, but he went to albania. and if he was greek he would have slaughtered albanians like most greeks did, so think before u say somthing stupid
albanian and proud

Loganholme, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Manfred Mann wrote:
what u mean is that GJERGJ KASTRIOTI f**k ur mom in greece
Born free - Molon lave

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

are you guys sure he wasn't GREEK?

his royal seal is written in GREEK, he spoke GREEK.

His name is KATRIOTIS....

do you think there is some connection there?

There is a lot of history between these two countries..

Vlora

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

mbylleni kete muhaebet mos iu pergjijni me keti ropqiri,
_albania

Tiranλ, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

Born free - Molon lave wrote:
te qifsha ate moter&ropt ku ti kesh.....
me respekt FROM SARANDA
bloodyalbo

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

Manfred Mann wrote:
I really must say, READ SOME HISTORY. dont trust youtube.

“OH SA MIRE TE JESH SHQIPTAR”

Since: Aug 07

Tirana, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

Who said that his name was Kastriotis. I was KASTRIOTI and originally his family came from a place called Kastrioti in Dibra. Thats where he got his name from.
I never heard that his seal was written in Greek, can you provide us a picture of that?
Besides, if he was greek why would he fight for Albania and not for Greece.
I totally agree with you when you say that there is a connection between these two countries. Many Albanians fought to liberate Greec from Turkey.

Tirana, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

Great Hero!
Great Leader!
Great MAN!
It was called the Protector of Christianity
Born free - Molon lave

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

Hermon wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that his name was Kastriotis. I was KASTRIOTI and originally his family came from a place called Kastrioti in Dibra. Thats where he got his name from.
I never heard that his seal was written in Greek, can you provide us a picture of that?
Besides, if he was greek why would he fight for Albania and not for Greece.
I totally agree with you when you say that there is a connection between these two countries. Many Albanians fought to liberate Greec from Turkey.
A seal assumed to be a seal of Skanderbeg has been kept in Denmark since it was discovered in 1634. It was bought by the National Museum in 1839. According to the interpretation of the symbols and inscriptions by Danish scholars, the seal is made of brass, is 6 cm in length and weighs 280 g. The inscription is in Greek and reads Alexandros is an Emperor and a King. Emperor of the Romaic nation (Greeks). It is possible that the seal was made after the fall of Constantinople in 1453 , since Skanderbeg is referred to as an Emperor of the Byzantines. The double eagle in the center of the seal is derived from the eagle of the Byzantine emperor, and this fact is also the most agreed upon among educated Albanians. Some claim it is a famous ancient Illyrian symbol. This seal is the origin of the flag of modern Albania. Furthermore, Skanderbeg never was a King of the Serbs or the Bulgars. It is possible the seal was 'designed' while Skanderbeg was organizing a crusade against the Ottomans or that it was manufactured when Skanderbeg was an ally of the King of Naples. It is also possible that the seal was commissioned by the family of Skanderbeg some time in the 16th century.

From the danish museum.

I had difficulty posting the photo link.

I don't think he fought for Greece but for Christianity. He was a Holy warrior don't forget fighting the Muslims when Byzantine was under Ottoman control, hence his alliance with the Roman church for support. The Ottoman empire streched across all of Byzantium which included Greece and Albania, right up to Hungary.

I think some Albanians have forgotten what he stood for especially in the last 100 years...

Tirana, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2007

<quoted text>
A seal assumed to be a seal of Skanderbeg has been kept in Denmark since it was discovered in 1634. It was bought by the National Museum in 1839. According to the interpretation of the symbols and inscriptions by Danish scholars, the seal is made of brass, is 6 cm in length and weighs 280 g. The inscription is in Greek and reads Alexandros is an Emperor and a King. Emperor of the Romaic nation (Greeks). It is possible that the seal was made after the fall of Constantinople in 1453 , since Skanderbeg is referred to as an Emperor of the Byzantines. The double eagle in the center of the seal is derived from the eagle of the Byzantine emperor, and this fact is also the most agreed upon among educated Albanians. Some claim it is a famous ancient Illyrian symbol. This seal is the origin of the flag of modern Albania. Furthermore, Skanderbeg never was a King of the Serbs or the Bulgars. It is possible the seal was 'designed' while Skanderbeg was organizing a crusade against the Ottomans or that it was manufactured when Skanderbeg was an ally of the King of Naples. It is also possible that the seal was commissioned by the family of Skanderbeg some time in the 16th century.
From the danish museum.
I don't think he fought for Greece but for Christianity. He was a Holy warrior don't forget fighting the Muslims when Byzantine was under Ottoman control, hence his alliance with the Roman church for support. The Ottoman empire streched across all of Byzantium which included Greece and Albania, right up to Hungary.
I think some Albanians have forgotten what he stood for especially in the last 100 years...
No Albanian has forgoten that he stood first for Albania and than Christianity.
You might be right about greek letters on his seal. However please remember that all those Holy warriors of thet time were nostalgic of Byzantine Empire. Scanderbeg, maybe more than the others since he was carrying the Bysantine eagle on his own flag and shield. Since Greek was the official language of the empire, that might be the reason of the greel letters on his seal.
However that does not make him Greek as you posted above.

Vlora

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2007

<quoted text>
From the danish museum.
the seal says, he is the king of albanians, bulgarians and greeks. but think aobut it, before kastrioti returned to albania he had fought many battles against bulgarians, and greeks thats y he was so high up in the turkish army. so put 2 n 2 together now and c that he wasnt greek, thers many records in the vatican to confirm that he and his men were albanians. And as for byzantine, we were all byzantine back then, anythin byzantine doesnt mean greek, this is simple, if he was greek he would have helped greece.pik muabeti

Vlora

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2007

Judged:

and greek letters were used in albania back then, wot did u want him to write in?(albanian leters)??
plus dont forget Kastrioti was sent in adrianople we greek was spoken also

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,275
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Albania Forum right now

Search the Albania Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Serbian-Iranian Brotherhood 6 min Islamophagos JewNaziSS 10
22,500 Serbian citizens sought asylum in EU 32 min Barbarian 3
Albania-Kosovo military agreement raises concer... (Jul '13) 38 min Barbarian 2,805
Whos better Albanians or Serbs ? (Jan '08) 44 min Barbarian 488
Do Serbs hate Albanians because of Turks? 50 min Barbarian 34
Takime me vajza shqiptare (Dec '08) 57 min Ledi 825
a ju pelqen seksi anal (Sep '09) 1 hr arben 1,969
do benit sex me vellain ose motren (May '11) 1 hr koli 34 vj 984
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••