Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who brought prosperity

Apr 23, 2014 Full story: The Independent 5,079

Despite stereotypes of eastern European immigrants providing cheap labour in unskilled jobs, many Polish people who moved to the UK have found themselves at the other end of the economic spectrum Emily Dugan is social affairs correspondent for The Independent, i and Independent on Sunday, covering Sarah Cassidy's maternity leave.

Full Story
First Prev
of 254
Next Last
Clear Dharma

Inverness, UK

#1 Apr 25, 2014
Overall it is calculated that Polish immigration has added £billions to the UK economy. That is money that is ploughed back into circulation creating further jobs and infrastructure.

The UK made a bold move ten years ago, and now its economy is performing better than any country in Europe. Not only due to the Poles by any means, but Poles have contributed to a large slice of that.

Judged:

13

12

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frankfurt

Podgorica, Montenegro

#3 Apr 25, 2014
Clear Dharma wrote:
Overall it is calculated that Polish immigration has added £billions to the UK economy. That is money that is ploughed back into circulation creating further jobs and infrastructure.
The UK made a bold move ten years ago, and now its economy is performing better than any country in Europe. Not only due to the Poles by any means, but Poles have contributed to a large slice of that.
German economy is much bigger then British.Now the real question is,do you support Scottish independence ?
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#5 Apr 26, 2014
Frankfurt wrote:
<quoted text>German economy is much bigger then British.Now the real question is,do you support Scottish independence ?
It's not a question of size is it, but of vitality. The big difference in Germany's favour was they they kept their engineering while Britain allowed it to crumble in favour of making finance more attractive under Thatcher.

Scotland detaching from the rest of Britain is not a good thing.
mavis

UK

#6 Apr 26, 2014
James!
no it hasn't. I have to attend hospital regularly and think the nhs is in fine shape. We should be proud of our nhs, lots of developed countries aspire to have a health service like ours , so I don't know where you get this idea that it has been destroyed from .
ps. Labour created the nhs , despite tory opposition to the idea .]
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#8 Apr 26, 2014
Polaks only brought kielsabas and industrial salt. Later on horse meat was exported.
Finnished lunch

Bound Brook, NJ

#9 Apr 26, 2014
Finntards have only brought cowardice where ever they went.

That's why Russia laughed at how easy it was to SEIZE a large chunk of Finnish territory in WWII for breakfast and now wants more Finnished territory for lunch

:D

Russia sees Finland as a Finnished people.

;-)
satsuma

UK

#10 Apr 26, 2014
Finnished lunch wrote:
Finntards have only brought cowardice where ever they went.
That's why Russia laughed at how easy it was to SEIZE a large chunk of Finnish territory in WWII for breakfast and now wants more Finnished territory for lunch
:D
Russia sees Finland as a Finnished people.
;-)
did you see that on fox news?
mavis

UK

#13 Apr 26, 2014
James wrote:
<quoted text>
The NHS is being privatised because it cannot cope with the seven and a half million immigrants that Labour imported after 1997.

are you autistic?
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#15 Apr 26, 2014
James wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Do you think uncontrolled mass immigration after 1997 was good for the NHS?
Do you not think the increased productivity and expanding economy due to immigration will bolster national wealth and some of that will feed into the NHS which had been underfunded and badly managed since at least Jim Callaghan's winter of discontent?
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#16 Apr 26, 2014
...btw ... that's in the 70's before you were born Kiddy.
Oliver Cromwell

Blackpool, UK

#18 Apr 26, 2014
The Conservatives should never have let Loonies onto the streets of Gravesend and called it care in the community,it hasn't worked.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#21 Apr 29, 2014
Clear Dharma wrote:
Overall it is calculated that Polish immigration has added £billions to the UK economy. That is money that is ploughed back into circulation creating further jobs and infrastructure.
The UK made a bold move ten years ago, and now its economy is performing better than any country in Europe. Not only due to the Poles by any means, but Poles have contributed to a large slice of that.
Whoever calculated that is spinning stats.
The Polish [and others] take Brit's jobs [there are people who want to work and would take all those 'naff' jobs given the chance] and send as much money as they can back 'home', hence out of the Country
pro europe

Arlesheim, Switzerland

#22 Apr 29, 2014
not true no proof just propaganda mockery
James wrote:
I'm so glad Labour's mass immigration has destroyed the NHS!
pro europe

Arlesheim, Switzerland

#23 Apr 29, 2014
BS, every employer would employ polish migrants because they do the job properly whether British are more lazy and like to blame everybody for their laziness. this is became a way of culture

you can't tell people where to spend their money.
Velvet MJK wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoever calculated that is spinning stats.
The Polish [and others] take Brit's jobs [there are people who want to work and would take all those 'naff' jobs given the chance] and send as much money as they can back 'home', hence out of the Country
pro europe

Arlesheim, Switzerland

#24 Apr 29, 2014
I have no disrespect for your granddad but find the truth by yourself not from second hand. there is more worries and fears than facts because of bad publicities.
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Grandad said the NHS can't cope with the millions of immigrants Labour imported to live on welfare.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#26 May 3, 2014
pro europe wrote:
BS, every employer would employ polish migrants because they do the job properly whether British are more lazy and like to blame everybody for their laziness. this is became a way of culture
you can't tell people where to spend their money.
<quoted text>
No, employers like them because they can get around a lot of the redtape payments with regards to insurance AND, they can have them on the books as temps and so pay them less than minimun wage and less benefits when it suits them, not because of their work standards. It's easier to work harder [if they infact do or if that's infact just propoganda] if you know you're doing it for a goal and not for the rest of your life
Then there's the question of standardisation and language. Doctors/nurses in hospitals who haven't been trained the same and whose English is a second language.... it's a drawback. A more serious one than another example of mine.... getting on a bus with a Polish driver who didn't understand what a woman infront of me was asking because his language was limited to the neccessaries. She wanted to know if it went past a certain place. He said no because he didn't appear to understand her as it wasn't a stop. I told her yes, and where she needed to get off. It's a minor hassle, but imagine someone on that bus, unemployed who could be thinking, why didn't I get that job
SAOR alba

UK

#27 May 9, 2014
The polish community in my area of scotland are brill, I have made many friends and been several times to poland, I am overwhelmed by the way young polish mothers bring up their children, lovingly, healthy diets, educational, very much with discipline. The men are hard workers and savers, they have brought with them much "admiration" from myself and family as they are proving to me anyone can better themselves if they try hard enough! And communities can grow strong!
morrisey

UK

#28 May 9, 2014
SAOR alba wrote:
The polish community in my area of scotland are brill, I have made many friends and been several times to poland, I am overwhelmed by the way young polish mothers bring up their children, lovingly, healthy diets, educational, very much with discipline. The men are hard workers and savers, they have brought with them much "admiration" from myself and family as they are proving to me anyone can better themselves if they try hard enough! And communities can grow strong!
You are Polish aren't you? AREN'T YOU!
Ahmed

London, UK

#29 May 10, 2014
Eastern European are more trust worthy than English. I have some polish staff in my shops and I can leave them alone no problem. When I've done this with English staff they steal from me . Smelly scumbags .

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#30 May 11, 2014
Ahmed wrote:
Eastern European are more trust worthy than English. I have some polish staff in my shops and I can leave them alone no problem. When I've done this with English staff they steal from me . Smelly scumbags .
You're obviously not good at seeing through scumbags when they're English then.
Colleague of mine had some European staff employed in his area as cleaners, none of them could be left unsupervised. So, staff reliablility says more about the selection process than about any nationality I think

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 254
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

World News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 1 min Nina 403,274
Russia's top 20 lies about Ukraine (Jun '14) 4 min Hue 3,622
'Thousands of Russian troops in Ukraine' 7 min Avenger 126
Leaders mark Auschwitz liberation 70 years on w... 12 min Alexey25 47
David Cameron, left, says he wants to take part... 12 min Oliver Cromwell 3
No Muslim can think of profaning holy Prophet (... (Jan '11) 16 min AIchemist 53,647
Why we need to address population growth's effe... 17 min Earthling-1 23
More from around the web