Peer demands England gets a say on Scottish independence

Full story: Sunday Herald 89
A CALL for the forthcoming referendum on Scottish independence to be held across the whole of the UK and not just in Scotland has been made by the Earl of Caithness, a former Conservative minister. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Progressive liberal politic”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#1 Sep 30, 2011
If UK have anti-EU politic, will dissolve.
finney

London, UK

#2 Sep 30, 2011
Most economically minded Scots are aware that they are subsidised by London's square mile. Independance would mean is that they would need to move into England for economic reasons.
Hoots McHaggis

Alicante, Spain

#3 Oct 1, 2011
we will need to rebuild Hadrian´s Wall to keep the Mchairies out, as when the handoots stop , even more will be arriving at Kings Cross coach station, looking for the nearest bottle shop before passing oot in front of the railway station.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#4 Oct 1, 2011
Scots wouldn't go to the cost of two referendums without a two-for-the-price-of-one offer.

I think Scots are happy to just take powers to the Scottish Parliament when that works and leave power with Westminster where that profits us all.

Most Scots do not want independence. I think there is just widespread despair of getting sensible decisions out of Westminster.

Reforms are not going well either..
The new Supreme Court has got off to a very bad start from a Scottish viewpoint. And 'they' want an elected House of Lords and to keep 12 un-elected Bishops in it. If people really wanted a more united UK, they would abolish the House of Lords altogether.

Long Live the Union, however its divided :-)
KJT

Edinburgh, UK

#5 Oct 4, 2011
finney wrote:
Most economically minded Scots are aware that they are subsidised by London's square mile. Independance would mean is that they would need to move into England for economic reasons.
Start by getting your spelling right... Independence would mean that Scotland can compete on the world stage in ways that are beneficial to the people of Scotland.

At the moment Scotland - regardless of what you say - is not subsidised by London's Square Mile. The UK is subsidised by Scotland's industries (including oil) by £100 Billion per year; which is what is raised in Scotland through taxes.

FYI the Scottish Parliament's budget is only £30 Billion per year. After benefit payments from Westminster [£30 Billion]- Scotland is still short £40 Billion per year.

In a country of 5 Million people, an extra £40 Billion per year would go a long way...
hoots awa ye sporrans

Granada, Spain

#6 Oct 4, 2011
KJT wrote:
<quoted text>
Start by getting your spelling right... Independence would mean that Scotland can compete on the world stage in ways that are beneficial to the people of Scotland.
At the moment Scotland - regardless of what you say - is not subsidised by London's Square Mile. The UK is subsidised by Scotland's industries (including oil) by £100 Billion per year; which is what is raised in Scotland through taxes.
FYI the Scottish Parliament's budget is only £30 Billion per year. After benefit payments from Westminster [£30 Billion]- Scotland is still short £40 Billion per year.
In a country of 5 Million people, an extra £40 Billion per year would go a long way...
the English pay the Jocks about 3000 pounds a year EACH to live on benefits. Scrotland is the most highly subsidized country on earth.
Scottish Industries -
tartan shortbread
hairy cloth nobody wears
an bogus monster for tourists
men in skirts blowing into dead sheep.
fraoch

Blairgowrie, UK

#7 Dec 7, 2012
Read or "DEMAND" the truths "Guys" Ye are sae Guffable!! Ask Westswindler the truth??? TYhats why the whole feckin country is going "Doom""" ""ooooooooooooMMMMMM M"!!!!! Also read "McRone Report aboot "Scotlands OIL",,,, DAH! Just dusna make onie sense tae me as an Albannach??? SAOR ALBA! x

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8 Dec 7, 2012
hoots awa ye sporrans wrote:
an bogus monster for tourists
The Jocks still belief in it though.
This Furor

Bristol, UK

#9 Dec 7, 2012
fraoch wrote:
Read or "DEMAND" the truths "Guys" Ye are sae Guffable!! Ask Westswindler the truth??? TYhats why the whole feckin country is going "Doom""" ""ooooooooooooMMMMMM M"!!!!! Also read "McRone Report aboot "Scotlands OIL",,,, DAH! Just dusna make onie sense tae me as an Albannach??? SAOR ALBA! x
W.T.F is this? Some kind of Ebonics?
rio

UK

#11 Dec 9, 2012
Let's England express how open-minded we are, and let the Scots be free if that's what they wish.
Anonymous

UK

#12 Dec 9, 2012
If the Scots really want independence then it should be given to them, and will be if that's what they vote for, but it will be with great sadness and a heavy heart to see our great nation Britain being broken up, our enemies will be smiling about that, I hope and pray that the Scottish know what they want and will cote to stay with Britain, Britain is such a great nation and it was built by the English and Scottish, it would be insane to break it up and will make both countries weaker, and in this uncertain world we need all the strength we have, Scotland and England are better together, the union of Britain has been the greatest and mist successfull unkind in history, because the English and Scots are the same people, all for one, one for all, Scotland should stay with Britain, but whatever decision they make is up to them, I just hope that they vote to stay with Britain
rio

UK

#13 Dec 9, 2012
straa wrote:
If the Scots really want independence then it should be given to them, and will be if that's what they vote for, but it will be with great sadness and a heavy heart to see our great nation Britain being broken up, our enemies will be smiling about that, I hope and pray that the Scottish know what they want and will cote to stay with Britain,
Spare us the lyrics and the molodrama, Gunga Dhin, will you?

Scotland independence is for the Scots to decide, not for India!
I suppose you are still sore for loosing Pakistan and Bengla Desh... LOL

Smaller countries are sometimes happier countries because they don't have to maintain a presence on the world stage and can concentrate on their own problems instead of being burdened with the impression they have to solve everything everywhere like Britain is so desperate to do now.

Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland are small countries, but they have better standards of living than us. These are the countries we should try to emulate, not the US or China...
Anonymous

UK

#14 Dec 9, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Smaller countries are sometimes happier countries because they don't have to maintain a presence on the world stage and can concentrate on their own problems instead of being burdened with the impression they have to solve everything everywhere like Britain is so desperate to do now.
Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland are small countries, but they have better standards of living than us. These are the countries we should try to emulate, not the US or China...
And all those countries are totally dependant on NATO for their defense, they can spend more money to improve quality if life because they are freeloading off the militaries of Britain, France and America, if we all emulated them Europe would be defencless and wouldn't last thirty years, you are so naive its funny, do you actually live in such a dream land, grow up you fool
Anonymous

UK

#15 Dec 9, 2012
No Englishman would ever want to emulate Denmark, I mean come on Ronan, are you kidding, its much better to be a powerfull and important country than to be a weak irrelivent country with a slightly better quality of life, if thats the trade off id rather be in an important country, and I think most British would agree, but as you are not British and have several mental illnesses it doesn't really matter what deluded crap you spout
Anonymous

UK

#16 Dec 9, 2012
We all know what role Denmark and Iceland played in stopping Europe from becoming a soviot state, oh that's right, they did nothing, they spent all their money on social schemes to improve quality if life while Britain, usa and France spent hundreds of billions keeping Europe free, and without that Denmark, iceland and all the other liberal utopia nations would be soviot states, we paid for their security, and we are still paying today
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#17 Dec 9, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
So the independance of Scotland is for SCotland to decide but the independance of NI should be decided by the UK as a whole.

Or to put it another way: You want whichever method is most likely to result in the breakup of the UK.
Anonymous

UK

#18 Dec 9, 2012
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
So the independance of Scotland is for SCotland to decide but the independance of NI should be decided by the UK as a whole.
Or to put it another way: You want whichever method is most likely to result in the breakup of the UK.
That's exactly what he wants, so he can't be British, if he was it would make him a traitor, and what do traitors deserve

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#19 Dec 9, 2012
If Scotland declares independence our boys should go up there and reclaim it
rio

UK

#20 Dec 9, 2012
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think the break-up of the UK would be such a terrible thing? I don't think so.

The 4 nations in the UK have each their own identity, and the separatist movments are very much in fashion at the moment in Europe.
rio

UK

#21 Dec 9, 2012
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Scotland didn't give any grief, so can be left to decide for itself.

Regarding Northern Ireland, in view of the problem with have with the place, I think the British public at large should be consulted!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

World News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 10 min Belle Sexton 2,000
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 21 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,648
State Set to Give Thumbs-Up to Chinese Firm for... 23 min RayH 1
Lunar mission to test China's space program 23 min RayH 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 25 min Ratloder 118,679
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 27 min tongangodz 18,986
Fires near CMHR draw attention to aboriginal is... 27 min general population 5
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 1 hr The Enforcers 378,279

World News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE