It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,368

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#92203 Dec 31, 2012
EDWARD KELLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey mate.. feels bad to lose does it?
Americans are such sore losers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
"lose"...lose what...?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#92204 Dec 31, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
But not driving a Bucatti, ferrari or lamborghini they are top of the range stuff, a corvette is a poor mans sports car....The reason most men aim for these high performance vehicles (usually in their old age) seems ovious to all....poor performance in other areas requires great performance vehicles to detract from it....
THAT IS A FACT. lalala.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#92205 Dec 31, 2012
EDWARD KELLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb American...
Ignorant, irrelevent, "frustrated control freak" ozzy.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#92206 Dec 31, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing fields. Where helpless unarmed people are herded into groups and shot by methodical killers.
You know, those schools with no gun zones. all over the world, and the teachers herd the kids into groups so the killer can shoot them easily.
You know, those places created by insane liberals who piss their pants when they see a gun (and that is when they see one on a cop).
Change your pants lately??? You really need to.
Ig is back. Thank god.

No, I haven't changed my pants lately? Fresh as a daisy, as usual.

Killing fields~Cambodia. Not here, sweetie.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#92207 Dec 31, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to butt in but I would say zero, but it doesn't meant that it's going to stop happening and it doesn't change the facts regarding willy nilly gun ownership.
I read you saying it was cold there, is it snowing?
Negative 19F and not currently snowing, but six inches on the ground.

I agree with you that the target number of rapes is zero.
Since that is the case, and we both agree on that point, it is wise to make sure that they, women, be allowed to defend themselves with whatever weaponry they can employ in that defense. >YOU< and Aho have BOTH made mention of the fact that women are weaker than men, and that they NEED external help of some sort, to engage in their own defense.

How many rape cases that HAVE been reported to the police through emergency channels (in your case dailing '000', in our case dailing '911'), were stopped in progress?
100%?
90%?
50%?
10%?
0.00008%?

Assuming that a policeman DID make it in time to catch the perp in the act of raping a woman;
How would a policeman react, and what tool would they employ to make the perp stop their attack and rape on a woman?
Would the policeman point his gun at the perp and demand he cease and desist his actions?
YES. Yes he would.
Does it not make more sense to empower the woman herself to employ that same tactic and weapon to make the perp stop before he even gets his pants down?
What say you to that act of empowering women, as it SPECIFICALLY relates to rape??
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#92208 Dec 31, 2012
SupaAussie wrote:
<quoted text>
We DID THAT alreadY FFFFS TOOOOOOOOOL
Are you saying the same thing to "tinydropthestickgooddog "...?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#92209 Dec 31, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Prohibition wasn't in the Bill of Rights. The state of Idaho was tossing around the idea of seceding from the union if the latest court challenge concerning the 2nd amendment didn't uphold the right to bear arms.
BTW, did prohibition remove alcoholic beverages from society.
No, it didn't remove alcoholic beverages from alcoholics.

Ken Burns has a good DVD about Prohibition.
George Washington

United States

#92210 Dec 31, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The state of Idaho was tossing around the idea of seceding from the union if the latest court challenge concerning the 2nd amendment didn't uphold the right to bear arms
Yeah, for those that don't know. Every state has their own state constitution and bill of rights. Every state in their bills of rights also protects the rights of their citizens to bear arms. This goes far deeper than just a federal level. Most states would not stand for a blanket gun ban. They would not enforce that law. They may even try to leave the Union.

Frankly, it wouldn't bother me to see the US break up into 3-4 countries. Maybe keep a tight alliance in case any of us were attacked to band together. But seperate government, we're just too far apart these days.

The vast majority of the country is Republican and conservative. Only a few areas are liberal, but have big populations. Let California go be their own country. Let New England seperate. Now you could then have the midwest and northwest together and the southern states together.

Problem solved, no more of this Republican vs Democrat hate. People who didn't like their own states could be free to move to other states.

Location hidden

#92211 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Either go to a book store or buy it from Amazon. Hardcover~~over 1,000 pages.
Here we go again ~~
The Oxford Companion To The Supreme (not the singing group) Court Of The UNITED STATES.
Second Edition.
Edited by Kermit L. Hall
Read the whole thing and get back to me. Unless, you wimp out, Aqua Man.
Do you want the page numbers?? Do you think I could make that up? No way.
Your "companion" is NOT a decision of the SCOTUS Einstein. It is but an opinion of someone OUTSIDE the SCOTUS dear.

I asked for your PROOF that the SCOTUS said and declared as you say.
THAT means I am asking you for DECISIONS of the SCOTUS and SUMMATIONS of those decisions VERBATUM maam.

Location hidden

#92212 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a very cold man.
Incorrect.
It is the truth that is sometimes "cold". I just point out those truths from time to time, to idiots like you dear.
You take it as a personal attack. You are wrong.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#92213 Dec 31, 2012
Gottaliv wrote:
High-Capacity Magazines Bill To Be Introduced By Democrats On First Day Of Congressional Session
Posted: 12/28/2012
WASHINGTON -- House Democrats will introduce legislation to ban the production of high-capacity magazines on the first day of the next congressional session, the office of Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.), one of the lawmakers sponsoring the bill, told The Huffington Post.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/high...
==========
That won't stop other countries from producing them - the black market will do a roaring trade... and the criminals and the truly dedicated will still have them.
An immediate enforcement of background checks and registration on 100% of gun sales, including on present ownerships - AND a medical assessment certificate... are the first necessary steps... with right of one appeal if you are refused.
Background doesn't check out = no gun.
No Medical Certificate = no gun.
If you refuse to register your guns or be medically tested - then you have something to hide.
That wouldn't even cover it... but it's a positive start.
No to registration...my guns are not registered now and will not be registered. Registration has only led to one thing...confiscation.

No to "a medical assessment certificate"...We are after all talking about the free exercise of an individual right here. There are no justifiable pre-requisites for the exercise of our individual rights.

"If you refuse to register your guns or be medically tested - then you have something to hide."

No I don't...but that's like the police asking to search your home without a warrent. If you say no...then you must be hiding something...same attitude and also unconstitutional. That's why we have a Bill of Rights, it puts restrictions on the gov't as to what they can't do.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#92214 Dec 31, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Yet another poster (I won't name names) says it don't happen. Women are all sugar and spice and men are evil.
Finally, the truth comes out.
Inquiring Minds

UK

#92215 Dec 31, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, ok peanut, start a poll.
We'll see what everyone thinks.
You're no boar, numbnuts but an annoying little bore.
George Washington

United States

#92216 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I haven't changed my pants lately? Fresh as a daisy, as usual.
Well how can they be fresh as a daisy if you haven't changed them lately?
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#92217 Dec 31, 2012
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
to paraphrase
the people may keep and bear arms when they are apart of a well regulated militia- which is neccesary to the security of a free state .
simple really
I like the official interpretation better...you know...the one from the Supreme Court that carries the weight of law...unlike your unsupported opinion.

Location hidden

#92218 Dec 31, 2012
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
Oi! Don't put ME in the same sand box as them!
On the previous page I posted about the rape capital of the world, Delhi, and the horrific rape/murder of that young student.. it didn't raise an eyebrow here - there is no "gun culture" in Delhi, average citizens aren't armed, the criminals are, and it's the bloody rape / acid throwing / female-abortion capital of the whole world!
THAT's where I would totally hate to live, where females are less than dirt and even their own gender turns on them, using FGM as a religious tool to subdue. Our surgeons are kept busy here trying to rectify the damage on refugees and immigrants - and FGM is practiced secretly and illegally in OUR country too. THEY are the bastards who need shooting!!!
How do you stop that kind of full scale war on females??? By 'talking' to the government? By 'talking' to the males? Educating them to have respect for females? That will take forever to undo a prehistoric culture, if ever it can be undone - in the mean time women and girls are being raped, murdered, stoned to death, forced into child marriage... and they have NO protection from the predators at all.
But nobody listens and nobody really cares. They just keep posting the same old dribble for 5 years, that's been posted a hundred times before on this thread... with everybody being anal, full of their OWN self importance, and wanting and needing to be "right", as if being right is the only consideration here.
Very few listen to the few who are addressing other things as being a major problem and very real direct reasons why these mass killings are happening.
Guns will NEVER be banned in the US, it's a waste of breath even bothering to keep ranting and screaming about it. FIX the other problems first... as that's something which can be improved/achieved quite swiftly.
Doesn't matter how "right" anyone is if they haven't got a workable solution to the existing problem... in the end their so called rights will mean nothing.
For me, it is not a matter of "who" is right, but rather "what" is right.

Inalienable rights are "endowed" upon we humans from our being born. We are born with the instinct to self defend - PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!

NO man gave inalienable rights to others.

NO man can remove inalienable rights from another unless forfeited by the other by their own acts against mankind and/or society.

Aside from ^that^ occurance;

NO man has any authority whatsoever to remove inalienable rights from another, unless they intend to kill the one standing guard and in defense of HIS OWN INALIENABLE RIGHT to his own life and the defense of that same life.

NOW, maam.

Point out SPECIFICALLY what is incorrect about the above statements and points I just made.

Location hidden

#92219 Dec 31, 2012
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
You follow natural laws......
--> YOU <-- are a stinky, dried up, old water Bong.
That's what you are.
A law is a law is a...LAW
PERIOD
Nobody cares what you believe, save it for friends and family in "Jack's hole"
You or I don't determine the Constitutionality of any law, the courts do... SPANKY.
--AND
"The times they are a-changin"
To sum it up ...
YOU (loser), won't follow any law YOU don't want to.
There's a word for people like YOU...
Criminal
You are incorrect about the "LAW" when you say that they are ALL written by men.

What is the difference between a "natural law" in other words, a law of nature herself - like instinct and such

and

a "law" written by men?

What is the difference between a "positive right" and a "negative right" as those terms describing rights, relate to the "law" written by men?

Is there any authority whatsoever for the man written "laws" to override any "natural laws"?

BTW, what the hell is an "old water bong"?
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#92220 Dec 31, 2012
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
hey I know - the next time we need a an important new law - one that if we get wrong will cost lives - lets dig up some old dudes from the 18th century - with wooden teeth, powdered wigs and muskets and stuffed shirts - and panteloons - and ask them to draft a new law for 2013 - the 21 first century - sheesh that will work ....
ha ha haaa splutter ...
Isn't it funny that what those same guys wrote so long ago also protects your right to communicate on the computer and other technologies of the 21st Century...? Of course YOU could go back to the quill and parchment...or the rollers and press if you like...in fact I will support you in that endeavor.

Location hidden

#92221 Dec 31, 2012
Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
That is not open to interpretation unless you failed English class.
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... right because the NRA says so ... LOL!!!!
You are incorrect Mr. Spock.

It is because Mother Nature herself "endowed" man with the instinct to self defend his own life and the lives of those in his charge.

You will die if you stop eating sir. THAT Mr. Spock is a NATURAL LAW and NO man can change it sir.

I WILL defend my life and my family and my property, and it is YOUR life that becomes endangered when you attempt to relieve me of my right to life and the tools to protect that same life. My NATURAL instincts will carry that truth, and the teeth of that truth will be any weapon I can devise and employ in that event.

THAT Mr. Spock is a NATURAL LAW and a NATURAL RIGHT that NO man can deny. YOU attempt it in an act against ANY man who holds those truths to be "self evident", and you will likely die in your trial.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#92222 Dec 31, 2012
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you need to get out in the country more... you are wrong.
And you really should stop calling all Americans Yanks... because that term was first coined by the British - and they ain't all Yanks either, only the Northerners... so if we can't use Americanisms then you can't use Britishisms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee
And just for fun...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
And then we have this little bit of trivia...
RAZORBACK is an Americanism, loosely applied to any type of feral pig, wild boar or cross in North America. Common wild boar (Sus scrofa scrofa) are sometimes called "Russian boar" or "Russian razorbacks". The term "Razorback" has also appeared in Australia, to describe such animals there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razorback
My sons call the big ones with the hair on their backs sticking up like mohawks... razorbacks.
I don't think many take offense to the term Yanks, Gotta. It depends on how you use it, I suppose.

A southerner might not like it. You would have to ask one, I wouldn't know. I'm referred to as a Yankee down there in a friendly sort of way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

World News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pope hopes Turkey visit promotes peace 3 min champion65 2
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 3 min Nina Q 386,612
Russia's top 20 lies about Ukraine 3 min tm clm 2,521
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 7 min piratefighting 23,456
Appeal sent to int'l organizations regarding vi... 9 min aziz dostum dander 181
Novi Sad Serbia 15 min trale 29
NYT Discovers Ukraine's Neo-Nazis at War 16 min NAZTY Ukraine 37

World News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE