It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments
68,181 - 68,200 of 103,228 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2014
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Roland is good.

Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
He found him in Mombassa in a barroom drinking gin
Roland aimed his Thompson gun - he didn't say a word
But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg

Roland the headless Thompson gunner...
The eternal Thompson gunner
still wandering through the night
Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>You sound like a subject of the Queen.
Pity.
Here is a song that might cheer you up.
Try to think of personal liberty as you listen.
Don't be afraid to dream.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FmKJ66X0QvMXX&feature=rel ated
Of all the warren Z songs I like the sound of Desperado Under eaves has a wonderful blend of Dixieland.
But they are all good songs.
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

You will like this. I do. His voice is a bit tired.

Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

<quoted text>You sound like a subject of the Queen.
Pity.
Here is a song that might cheer you up.
Try to think of personal liberty as you listen.
Don't be afraid to dream.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FmKJ66X0QvMXX&feature=rel ated
And if you like Music as a medium you might appreciate this.
It has no real issues but a nice outlook on differences of opinion.
And it is not a point winner on our discussions.
But quite profound for generational opinions. And I am old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
All those selling arms should have their bussinesses shut down...every country should be banned from selling weapons to anyone... All countries should start phasing out the selling of all arms to countries at war, they should also stop selling guns to the general population except those who work in areas like farming and culling where it is necessary but single shootes only...The rest of the public should realise that "GUNS DO KILL PEOPLE" else all those people killed by guns would still be alive, would they not?...The stupidity of this argument is that it has gone on way to long the right to bear arm policy should be abolished...The law is outmoded and archaic and needs to be changed along with the idiotic mentality of all those who still believe it.
So just how were millions murdered before guns? Hitler for one used ovens. 9-11 used box cutters. FBI building was fertilizer. You miss the point of killers kill. Humans are very resourceful at finding ways of killing. For you to assume just getting rid of one tool would stop the use of another is very naive and stupid of you. 300 million guns in this country have never killed anyone so that makes you a bald faced liar.
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> So just how were millions murdered before guns? Hitler for one used ovens. 9-11 used box cutters. FBI building was fertilizer. You miss the point of killers kill. Humans are very resourceful at finding ways of killing. For you to assume just getting rid of one tool would stop the use of another is very naive and stupid of you. 300 million guns in this country have never killed anyone so that makes you a bald faced liar.
OOh Dear. Tray, you must bhe brain dead.
This is what happens with proper gun control.

Why do these other countries have such low homicide rates?

Their children watch the same violent movies and play the same violent video games as our children. They have as much bullying in schools. They have oppressed minorities, and similar rates of non-firearm crime and violence (assaults, robbery, burglary, rape). And they all have crazy people.

But these other countries have stricter gun policies than the United States. And when disaster happens, they typically respond.

Following the 1996 Port Arthur, Tasmania, massacre of 35 people, Australia acted quickly to effectively ban assault weapons. A mandatory buyback obtained more than 650,000 of these guns from existing owners. Australia also tightened requirements for licensing, registration and safe gun storage of firearms.

The result? In the 18 years before the intervention, Australia had 13 mass shootings. In the dozen years since, there has not been a single one. The laws also helped reduce firearm suicide and non-mass shooting firearm homicide

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Their children watch the same violent movies and play the same violent video games as our children. They have as much bullying in schools. They have oppressed minorities, and similar rates of non-firearm crime and violence (assaults, robbery, burglary, rape). And they all have crazy people.
But these other countries have stricter gun policies than the United States. And when disaster happens, they typically respond.
Following the 1996 Port Arthur, Tasmania, massacre of 35 people, Australia acted quickly to effectively ban assault weapons. A mandatory buyback obtained more than 650,000 of these guns from existing owners. Australia also tightened requirements for licensing, registration and safe gun storage of firearms.
The result? In the 18 years before the intervention, Australia had 13 mass shootings. In the dozen years since, there has not been a single one. The laws also helped reduce firearm suicide and non-mass shooting firearm homicide
&pl aynext=1&list=PLF4D31FDD5F CA2980&feature=results_vid eo
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Why has none of these other countries been to the moon? Why are none of these other countries considered the greatest superpower the world has ever known? Why is the U.S considered the leading country in medical research? Why is the U.S considered the leading country in the fight against tyranny and global oppression? Why is the U.S, known for providing more humanitarian aid around the world than other countries? Why was the U.S. considered the leader in human rights long before these other countries you boast about? Places like Japan has human rights now because the U.S. defeated the tyrant emperor and helped rebuild the country with better rights and living conditions than before. Why does U.S. citizens not have to bow to or support a royal family sucking the money out of the pockets of the average citizen? You fail.
Henry

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It applies to the right to own and bear arms shall not be infringed.
The gun busines in US is just a business as any other commodity in capitalism. Only the profit is important nothing else others.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The gun busines in US is just a business as any other commodity in capitalism. Only the profit is important nothing else others.
Wrong. It symbolizes the peoples right to not be oppressed by their government. The power of the people to keep their government under the control of the people not the other way around. We are not children in need of a nanny to tell us how to live. Freedom comes with personal responsibility and some people will always abuse freedom but on the whole it is worth it. It sure beats the alternative.
Henry

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Gun manufacturers/dealers are the new Tobacco Lobby.
They use the same denial tactics.
In the atomic age mankind is no longer able to control deadly weapons. This means the life of humans is no longer garanteed in a capitalist society. Since there is no security for life any longer nature has the possibility to end mankind.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

<quoted text>Your other left.
LOL....
HIPPY

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are right, and the worst part is that Obama caved over the deal with leading countries for reducing the ammount of gun sales, It is believed that it was because of the gun lobbies power and influence over the election. China and Russia also caved too much money to be had in death I suppose....
Is that more of that WA stupidity we're getting a lot of lately? Why must you hodags taint the whole country? Perth is a sewage heap.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
Sorry Freud...I didn't scrutinise the post well enough so thought I would read it again and there are very good points in all of that message as the post before....But I just hate the thought of weapons so easily available for those when they lose it can cause such devastation or those at war can kill en masse with the faster firing weapons and misiles etc...But any avenue that limits weapons is a good one regardless of what that is....

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
YAWN. You are on the wrong thread.
Your previous post is BS. It shows no facts.
LOL. Aurora stopped because a hero with a gun showed up.Ha.
Jared Loughner ran out of bullets. The hero CCW didnt know what to do.
Both will get off with their Mass murders. Grinning.
Have fun. I have a rendevous..
hey bob2bob, glad to see you got out of jail so you can regale us with your wit and comments.
Henry

Großengottern, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Ramafuchs wrote:
Dr
If i were intellectual I would have a Tajmahal as my residence.
The only reason i am conversing/communicating in Topix forum is to get rid of my ignorance
Hiroshima, Nagasaki and finally Fukushima are deadly signs for humanity and they are irreversible for us. The atomic age is the end of the human society in capitalism.

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a pretty simplistic view.

What else matters involves itself with our nations history Franz and that is the protection of individual freedom which also incorporates the ability to arm ourselves against potential threats to that freedom.

The fact guns need to be manufactured only adds a benefical aspect in that jobs are created and the economy is strengthened.

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiroshima, Nagasaki and finally Fukushima are deadly signs for humanity and they are irreversible for us. The atomic age is the end of the human society in capitalism.
So go make up some signs that read 'The End Is Near' and parade up and down Germany's streets you goof.

LOL!!!

BTW Franz...the Atomic Age has come and passed. That was in the 50's. It's nuclear capabilities we are more concerned with in the present day and albeit they do present a danger I think it's a little off to go acting Chicken Little just yet.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>You spent all of this effort on a post you do not care about ?
That seems both contradictory and unstable.
1. I don't know about your efforts, but that didn't take much effort at all.
Let me help you: easy WORDS and letters strung together to make a few SENTENCES really isn't that hard!
Just ask any 1st grader!

2. I never said I didn't care about the POSTS, I said I didn't care about your COMPLAINT!
Can you read?

3. If it seems contradictory, then learn to READ the difference between "complaint", and "post".
lol

4. Unstable...really?
You're NOW getting desperate!
HA!

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Please post where the founding father did not believe in the peoples right to keep and bear.
Can you read? I never said they didn't believe in the right to bear arms! I said the quotes you gave,,,I can find some of them saying the OPPOSITE!
Meaning they were FOR GUN CONTROL< and regulation!
...and I did!
Remember?
lol
The founders had their MUSKETS REGULATED, and they were for gun control against BLACKS!
There is more as well:)
...but I think my point is made:)
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Just because blacks were not allowed basic human rights does not make removing rights OK.
I AGREE!
CORRECT!
When did I say the founders GUN CONTROL makes removing rights ok?
I said the FOUNDERS FELT THE OPPOSITE!
...and the fact that those American rights were taken from some citizens PROVED they were for GUN CONTROL!
P.S. It's not a "human" right to have a gun. It's merely an American right.
Quit trying to make it more than it is.
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> I didn't like Reagan.
I agree...quite possible the WORSE president in HISTORY!
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Can you see advances in weapons, medical, science in the last 200 years?
Yes...so?
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> What makes you think the founding fathers were not smart enough to know history and advances would continue even 200 years later.
....because they were not PSYCHIC, and do not possess mental powers the rest of us do not!
Example: Please tell us ALL on topix what this country (and Earth) will be like in 200 years?
Can ya?
NO!
POINT PROVEN!
That's why one of the founders want us to RE-WRITE the constitution every 19 years, as to not be enslaved to previous generations ideas!!!!!!!!
You keep forgetting that part!
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The statement of human rights don't change every 19 years.
GUNS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HUMAN RIGHTS!!!!
Why do you keep confusing AMERICAN rights, with HUMAN rights?
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> . At the time knives were more deadly than firearms because of the quicker more accessible to cutting weapons
Proof please?
Your opinion is moot.
I believe FACTS...I really don't believe you.
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Manufacture of firearms was slow and not available in rural areas.
proof please
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> I do carry a knife if appropriate I will use what force I deem necessary for my defense.
me too
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> You have the right NOT to carry ANY weapon, I have no problem with you being a sheep.
You have the right to carry a weapon!
As long as you follow the REGULATIONS...that simple!
It's really not that hard.
...and sweetie, >YOU< are the sheeple:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••