Science in retreat

Feb 21, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.nature.com

Comparisons of nations' scientific outputs over the years have shown that Canada's researchers have plenty to be proud of, consistently maintaining their country's position among the world's top ten (see, for example, Nature 430, 311–316; 2004). Alas, their government's track record is dismal by comparison.
Comments
1 - 20 of 93 Comments Last updated Feb 26, 2008
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Daniel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

GOOD!.....Canada is cutting back on the funding for the Worthless Government Junk Scientists who live off of the Tax payer. By doing so, a number of those Phony Scientists will have to get themselves an Honest Job in the Private Sector and start producing for Society instead of, living off of Society. We should do the same here in America. We got Plenty of CRAP Scientist we are supporting. It is Time we clean house of the unnecessary Dust, Clutter and Parasites that live off of the Tax Payers who Produce for a Society. By doings so, we should be able to keep some of our Money that we Earned instead, of giving it all to Big Government. Vote smaller Government.....Vote Republican!
wlo Seattle

Jiaxing, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Whether there's a national science advisor or a 18-member Science, Technology and Innovation Council means nothing if they don't have the ear of the prime minister.

“Continually Updated from Net”

Since: Jan 07

A PBS place in an MTV world

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

can You Spell Haarp ?

New Book Warns 2008 Election Disaster ImminentRead the original story

Yesterday | PRWeb

In The WHY Conspiracy, Evelena Hudson, www.98percenters.com delineates and disects the background maneuverings by the current administration and warns the ultimate survivor will be a dictator.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/02/prweb71...

Related Topix: Boston, MA Metro, US Politics, US News
----------
Environment Canada 'muzzles' scientists' dealings with media

Posted by Canada on Sunday Feb 10 | via www.canada.com This link will take you off Topix

Environment Canada has "muzzled" its scientists, ordering them to refer all media queries to the federal government, where communications officers will help them respond with "approved lines." The new policy,...

http://www.topix.com/world/canada/2008/02/env...
Researcher

Auburn Hills, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Hey Daniel, I'll take note of your dissatification with the job we're all doing next time you have a medical, technological, or environmental problem you need worked on. Maybe you think the work is crap because you don't have a clue about what it takes to deliver all of the technology our society has. The private sector will only work on projects that have an immediate financial benefit. We depend heavily on discoveries made in academic and government laboratories to help us identify these areas. You don't want to pay for it, fine. Then crawl back in your cave, hunt mammoths and dodge sabertooths while you decide what you get for your tax dollars.
Just Me

Auburn Hills, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Hey Daniel--Maybe we should have a Worthless Government Science Program to find a way to Teach you when to use Capital Letters.
On Second Thought, maybe Not; why Bother? It wouLd Be a Waste oF Taxpayer Money!

Since: Apr 07

N. Central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Basicly I agree with Daniel. Cull the herd and support legitimate research. Who cares about Cow Flatulence, except the Bull? We all know that there is nothing we can do about it. The Cow has three stomachs.
The next time you gaze in awe over a big busted women just remember that GAS backwards is SAG. Nature rules. Neuton's Law of Gravity prevails.
bruce

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Daniel wrote:
GOOD!.....Canada is cutting back on the funding for the Worthless Government Junk Scientists who live off of the Tax payer. By doing so, a number of those Phony Scientists will have to get themselves an Honest Job in the Private Sector and start producing for Society instead of, living off of Society. We should do the same here in America. We got Plenty of CRAP Scientist we are supporting. It is Time we clean house of the unnecessary Dust, Clutter and Parasites that live off of the Tax Payers who Produce for a Society. By doings so, we should be able to keep some of our Money that we Earned instead, of giving it all to Big Government. Vote smaller Government.....Vote Republican!
Get rid of useless government employees: Bush, Chaney, his psuedo scientific religious zealots, his ill conceived Mars trip wonkers, Blackwater punks, Haliburton nobid price jackers, his rodeo FEMA cronies, and the other Republican crooks and then we have money for science.
Mr Reality

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Daniel wrote:
Wow,..you are a genius Daniel.
...yeah who needs all that science.
We got the bible right
Those parasites who obtain funding by submitting proposals to review board to be award funding. Stupid!
It should be more like military funding where personal relationships get you the contracts...that you can trust!

Letís keep the government small and fiscally responsible like the REP run government of the last 8 years.

No big government programs,...well maybe a few of the largest ever created like homeland security,
and smart programs like no child left behind
..oh and deficit spending (thats not really a problem)

...but nothing that would keep those lazy queers, or atheist scientist from working.

Vote ignorance,...perpetuate ignorance
Viva Ignorance!
CaptainH

Auburn Hills, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

I remember a government-sponsored scientific "study" on the Frisbee. It cost about $150 million and came to the conclusion that the Frisbee flies because it is flat and round.
No kidding!
god made me do it

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

bruce wrote:
<quoted text>
Get rid of useless government employees: Bush, Chaney, his psuedo scientific religious zealots, his ill conceived Mars trip wonkers, Blackwater punks, Haliburton nobid price jackers, his rodeo FEMA cronies, and the other Republican crooks and then we have money for science.
Right on Bruce. And money for a lot of other worthwhile programs also. I think the cost of one day of the Iraq "war", which of course is now a policing of a civil war (but donít get me started), will pay the combined pittance of a salary that all the scientists get for a whole year.

Wake up Daniel. Republicans and small government donít belong in the same sentence. Try using secretive, amoral, or corrupt, in that sentence instead. Educate yourself Daniel, they you might not always be so angry with everyone.

“make mine a double, please”

Since: Sep 07

chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

bruce wrote:
<quoted text>
right!
let's keep only the stalwart, honest hard working politicians that truly care! like pelosi, reid, schumer, john (mr. pork) murtha, kennedy, durbin and rangel... bruce, if you were ANY dumber you'd have to be watered twice a week. stay a democrat,
PLEASE!
kelmark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

AAAHHH.......... But now we know About the frisbee's magical properties.

“**** JOHN VIS ******* ”

Since: Sep 07

"bringin the heat"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

The problem ,you see, is that each winter the entire Canadian population "retires" into the backwoods to "Ice Fish" and enjoy giant slabs of canadian bacon while sipping the national beverage "Molsons". This, unfortunately has also effected the Canadian "Scientific" community who sieze this annual opportunity to "Count Walleye" populations.
bruce

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

just had lunch wrote:
<quoted text>
right!
let's keep only the stalwart, honest hard working politicians that truly care! like pelosi, reid, schumer, john (mr. pork) murtha, kennedy, durbin and rangel... bruce, if you were ANY dumber you'd have to be watered twice a week. stay a democrat,
PLEASE!
The crooked crony era of the Bushwacker era will be over soon, idiot. It might not be a perfect future but anything will be better than this rich born again drunk and side kick "shooter" have to be better. Science helping people rather than Republicans helping themselves.

Since: Jul 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

It's about time. Quit wasting tax money on bullshyt research like the algoracle's wonder emporium of anthropogenic global nonsense. Al Gore was only worth $2 million when he decided to build the global warming bandwagon, and now he is worth over a hundred million. He is the wizard behind the curtain, except the wizard did not burn as much energy each year as al gore, jetting around the country, in his huge energy inefficient houses, and on his polluting zinc mine.

Wake up. You want to cry about private sector research? Well that is where the real science is, and when there is real demand for it there are dollars behind it.

And as bad as bush is, clinton was no better whatsoever. He used the same machinery to do what he wanted done, and made scientific decisions without any scientific data or backing. He just "felt" it was the right thing to do. He should have known from the other things he was "feeling" that it would eventually catch up with him and burn his ass.

So if you want to practice science, stay in the private sector. Science is just one more thing government of every flavor screws up. They waste a hundred dollars for every dollar spent well. A hundred dollars stolen from the people.

“Measure, Measure, Cut”

Since: Nov 07

El Paso ,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

just had lunch wrote:
<quoted text>
right!
PLEASE!
I have a special place in my backyard where I may have watered him once or twice. Also I don't think that it is a function of government to fund many of the studys that they do. If it pertains to defense OK. But the study should benefit everyone, not just the ones doing the study.
Rohayhu Wendy.
klaus kaczor

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

What's worse than government supporting science which it does on my behalf supposedly, is that after spending the money for good research the elected morons go with their religious beliefs anyways.

When you scratch anyone who is against science today you are likely to find an idiot believer below the surface.

These idiots want no scientific facts in evidence at all, so that they can confuse citizens with their moronic drivel.

Since: Jul 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

I don't find them any less intelligent than the blind believers following pseudo-science from people like Al Gore. In fact they have the advantage of not wasting tax dollars studying the aphrodisiac powers of sunflowers on hamsters, and similar useless studies.
klaus kaczor wrote:
What's worse than government supporting science which it does on my behalf supposedly, is that after spending the money for good research the elected morons go with their religious beliefs anyways.
When you scratch anyone who is against science today you are likely to find an idiot believer below the surface.
These idiots want no scientific facts in evidence at all, so that they can confuse citizens with their moronic drivel.
Konaking

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Ignorance is bless, my dear Klaus!
Instead of watching soaps and wrestling, you might try one of the educational channels since it seems you didn't graduate from the 8th grade. Mathematics proves that there is a God, Creator of all things. Science proves that the miracles of the Bible occurred within scientific reasoning. Science does not disprove God!
And if I'm giving you too much credit by assuming that you might know what a television is, try your local library. Oh my, do you know how to read??????
Canadians Write

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Be Nice
as KARMA Comes Around like
maybe the Next time
You travel across Alligator Ally
to The Nearly Dead & Newly Wed
side of Florida near Tampa
Maybe the car You're in will quit &
Nature will provide You as Food
as Your Everglades dry up
http://www.nps.gov/ever/
& the Ocean takes Your shore lines

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••