Turks and Caicos: Mystery virus hits resorts

May 27, 2012 Full story: Crofs Blogs 14

Several resorts in the tourism belt of Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands have been hit by a mysterious illness, characterized by diarrhea and vomiting, that has sickened scores of visitors to this high-end tourist destination located 500 miles from Miami.

Full Story
Vita

Massapequa, NY

#1 May 27, 2012
I am traveling to the Turks (provo-grace bay ) in a few weeks........should I be alarmed?

Thank you for your reply.
Robert

La Jolla, CA

#2 May 29, 2012
Just got back on Sunday night - I did not have a problem. Did not here of anyone at our resort being sick (Club Med). One resort was not serving anyone from other resorts or ice. We carried sanitizer with us and made sure to wash hands.
Vita

Massapequa, NY

#3 May 30, 2012
Robert wrote:
Just got back on Sunday night - I did not have a problem. Did not here of anyone at our resort being sick (Club Med). One resort was not serving anyone from other resorts or ice. We carried sanitizer with us and made sure to wash hands.
That's good news Robert......thank you for your comment...
Suzette

Miami, FL

#4 Jun 2, 2012
We are at Beaches T & C now and I would not have knw anything about this if it wasn't for my traveL agent emailing me. There is hand sanitizer everywhere and haven't heard of anyone being sick.
Beth

Vienna, VA

#5 Jun 2, 2012
I just got back tonight...late....because they shut the Beaches resort due to the outbreak. They were not allowing any new visitors on the facility. This is why my flight was delayed by 3 hours because passengers going to T&C were alerted after boarding the plane. The plane had to let the passengers off...along with their checked in luggage.

Both my kids (ages 2 and 4) got the virus. They vomitted and one had diearhea. It lasts less than 24 hours. There were many people that I met that had someone in their family or party that contracted the illness.

Not sure how long Beaches will be shut down. They are taking several measures to get rid of the virus from thei facility.
Erik Henson

Miami, FL

#6 Jun 3, 2012
Vita wrote:
I am traveling to the Turks (provo-grace bay ) in a few weeks........should I be alarmed?
I'm still sick and have been for 48 hours now. Vomiting lead to diarrhea, and the naussea has been consistent. I have eaten one slice of pizza since getting sick. Knowing what i knownow i would NOT come until they get this under control. It's not good, and I'm hoping Beaches T&C refunds some of our costs.
Rhonda

Hesperia, CA

#7 Jun 3, 2012
My daughter and SIL were scheduled to go to Beaches, Turks and Caicos, today. Didn't find out about the Norovirus until they landed in Atlanta. They called 1-800-Beaches and were re-booked to another Sandals resort (I was able to find information for them online. When my daughter called the resort, they just told her to go home and rebook at a later date.) They got an amazing upgrade to a Villa, but the flight change cost them an extra $1500. Plus, they had 20 minutes to make it to their new flight (luggage won't make it with them). Hopefully, they can recover from the stress of this morning and enjoy their honeymoon.

The airline still boarded the Turks and Caicos flight, but the plane got turned back to the gate before take off.
tedh

Miami, FL

#8 Jun 3, 2012
Vita wrote:
We're at Beaches right now - Sunday June 2, and everything is fine. Food is great, everything is running normally. If we hadn't been told, we would not have known there was a problem. The resort is not full, and that's even better. No line-ups, staff is happy, and no visible signs of any issues.
RGG

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Jun 4, 2012
Just got back from Beaches on Friday night and everything was fine. Did sit next to a family on the plane ride home that were sick for 2 days.
MMM

London, UK

#10 Jun 5, 2012
Beaches T&C is being closed tomorrow (6/6/12) and holiday makers are being transfered to other hotels or back to country of origin,
Ken

United States

#11 Jun 5, 2012
I got it. Symptoms were vomiting diaria and nausea it lasted 24 hours. When it hit me it was extreme nausea immediately The beaches experience tho was overall outstanding besides this unfortunate virus
TCIslands

Pottstown, PA

#12 Jun 7, 2012
Vita wrote:
Hi if you are concerned about staying in a resort, why don't you rent a villa. The virus is affecting the resorts not the villas. Villa prices are reduced this time of year. Ex. villaalamandratci.com
Ellen Resnick

New York, NY

#13 Jun 12, 2012
wegot home Sunday Night from Turks and Caicos. We stayed at the Alexandra and it was fine, we ate allover the island. Everyone took great precautions like using lots of Purell and we saw food handlers using rubber gloves. I felt safe the whole time and I would not hesitate to go right back.

We traveled with my Father, our daughter and her husband and 2 small children and no one was ill.

I would watch out for the HOT weather and amazing water..

Safe travels
TravelExplosion- dot-com

Bronx, NY

#14 Jun 13, 2012
Are you from, or have ever been to, Turks and Caicos? If so, feel free to go to the Travel Explosion country page and share your experience. We would love to hear your experience there regarding this breakout.

"Travel Explosion.....travel the world in minutes!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

World News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... (Apr '14) 8 min British and Proud 4,395
Bahamas fends off critics over new migrant rules 9 min stop being so sel... 1
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 10 min Nina Q 386,959
Vietnam Allows Foreigners To Buy Housing, Hopin... 11 min bac ky NGAO NGOC 10
Tropical Storm Sinlaku Heads to Vietnam, Cambodia 15 min dMA bac ky di an cap 1
Vietnamese fishing boat assaulted by Chinese sh... 17 min dMA bac ky di an cap 2
Vietnam's chief inspector calls for prudence in... 21 min dMA bac ky di an cap 2

World News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE