'The War Is Not Over'

Full story: Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON - President Bush led the nation on Monday in marking the fifth anniversary of the Sept.
Comments
272,381 - 272,400 of 276,395 Comments Last updated 20 hrs ago
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

News you will not see or hear on CNN and FOX News

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/arti...

Israel Lobby Calls for an ‘Iranian Pearl Harbor’

By Muhammad Sahimi

October 30, 2012 "Information Clearing House" - When the Bush-Cheney administration was in power, Dick Cheney tried hard to find an excuse for military attacks on Iran. After all, according to Gen. Wesley Clark, the former Supreme Allied Commander of NATO from 1997 to 2000, Cheney and other hawks had plans for attacking and destroying seven countries in the Middle East and North Africa over five years in order to transform them into U.S. client states, and he wanted to “accomplish” as much as possible before leaving office.

Various options were considered. As reported by Seymour Hersh, in late 2007 the Bush-Cheney administration received congressional approval for its request for $400 million to launch major covert operations against Iran, and a presidential finding signed by Bush authorized a secret program for destabilizing Iran by supporting puppet groups purporting to represent the Iranian Arabs living in the oil province of Khuzestan, the Baluchi people, and other separatist “organizations.” Aside from terrorist operations that killed many innocent Iranians, the program failed. Other venues were also tried, ranging from fabrications about Iran’s alleged interference in Iraq to huge shows of force in the Persian Gulf and a campaign of lies and exaggerations.

Another option that was considered was provoking the Iranians to attack the U.S. forces, hence justifying counterattacks by the U.S. Given the long history of the attacks by the U.S. Navy on Iranian ships and offshore oil installations in the Persian Gulf, and the destruction by the U.S. Navy of the Iranian passenger jet in July 1988 that killed 290 people, creating an “incident” in the Persian Gulf to justify the attacks seemed only “natural.” Then, in January 2008 five Iranian patrol boats supposedly made aggressive moves toward three U.S. warships in the Strait of Hormuz.

Bush called the incident “provocative” and “dangerous,” and it appeared momentarily that Cheney’s wish had been realized. But less than a week later the Pentagon acknowledged that it could not positively identify the Iranian boats as the source of the threatening radio transmission that the press had initially reported coming from the boats. In fact, it had come from a prankster.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Hersh also revealed that in 2008 some administration officials met in Cheney’s office to discuss ways to provoke a war with Iran. As Hersh explained,“There was a dozen ideas proffered about how to trigger a war. The one that interested me the most was why don’t we build — we in our shipyard — build four or five boats that look like Iranian PT [patrol] boats. Put Navy SEALs on them with a lot of arms. And next time one of our boats goes to the Strait of Hormuz, start a shoot-up …. It was rejected because you can’t have Americans killing Americans.” But, the War Party learned a lesson: To gain public support for attacking Iran, create the “right” incident.

Four years later, the idea is surfacing again, with the War Party and the Israel lobby calling for an “Iran Pearl Harbor.” Although under Yukiya Amano, the politicized International Atomic Energy Agency has been highly critical of Iran, it still reports consistently that it has found no evidence that Iran has diverted its enriched uranium to a non-peaceful purpose and, in fact, Iran has recently diverted it to peaceful purposes — fabricating fuel rods for the Tehran Research Reactor that produces medical isotopes for 850,000 Iranian patients annually.

Senior Obama administration officials have also emphasized over the past several months that Iran is not making nuclear weapons and has not even made the political decision to move forward toward building them. Over the past several years there have been several analyses arguing that the U.S. can live with an Iran armed with nuclear weapons, and that such an Iran will even be a stabilizing factor in the Middle East.

Thus, the War Party’s hope for “justification” for war with Iran based on its nuclear program has been quashed, at least for now. It has therefore revived the idea of creating the “right incident” for provoking a war with Iran and gaining the public’s support for it too.

One leading advocate of this has been Patrick Clawson, deputy director of research at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy (WINEP), the research arm of AIPAC. Although his recent suggestion for provoking a war with Iran (see below) attracted wide attention, he has been virulently anti-Iran for at least a decade, and he has never shied away from promoting attacks or provocative acts against Iran. In a conference on Iran’s nuclear program in November 2004 at the Woodrow Wilson International Center in Washington, Clawson declared,

Look, if we could find a way in which we could introduce computer viruses which caused the complete shutdown of the Bushehr system before it became operational, that would be delightful.
John_Schuylkill County_Pa

Frackville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

ABs wrote:
President Obama's State of the Union call to raise the minimum wage to $9 will ironically hurt his core supporters: young people and minorities, the Wall Street Journal argues in an editorial. "Setting a floor under the price of labor creates winners and losers," the editors argue. Some workers will get a raise, "But others—typically the least educated and skilled—will be priced out of the job market and their pay won't rise to $9. It will be zero." The proposed change would increase unemployment, they argue, without combating poverty, since few minimum wage earners are primary household breadwinners. "It'd be nice to think that some Republicans, even one, would make the moral case that the minimum wage hurts the poorest workers," but instead they usually fold on it, the paper laments.
There's a reason for that. Eleanor Craft at the Daily Beast points out that minimum wage increases are overwhelmingly popular; one survey last year found almost all Democrats, 74% of independents, and 50% of Republicans in favor. Paul Krugman at the New York Times, meanwhile, argues that the effects would be "overwhelmingly positive," and benefit "hard-working but low-paid Americans" without raising government spending. As for the argument that bumping the wage will eliminate jobs, Krugman writes that there's plenty of evidence to the contrary, much of it touching on the simple fact that "workers aren't bushels of wheat." They're people, and "the human relationships involved in hiring and firing" them are complex. "One byproduct of this human complexity seems to be that modest increases in wages for the least-paid don’t necessarily reduce the number of jobs."
Obama keeps laying eggs.

Frackville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Sequestration was his idea. It's his idea to blame Republicans.

Frackville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Krugman is still at the NYT. yuk. yuk.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

John_Schuylkill County_Pa wrote:
Huh - and you imbeciles fell for it??
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

News you will not see or hear on CNN and FOX News

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/arti...

Israel Lobby Calls for an ‘Iranian Pearl Harbor’

By Muhammad Sahimi

Contd.
If we could find ways in which these very complicated centrifuges, which are spinning at such high speeds, could develop stability problems and fly apart, and the cascade [of the centrifuges] could be destroyed, I think that would be delightful.

And, indeed, if we could find a way to create an industrial accident of the scale of the Three Mile Island which did not cause a single fatality, which would prevent Bushehr from becoming operational, I think that would also be very helpful.

If we could find ways to bring about industrial accidents, that offer good prospects of not endangering human life, but may unfortunately cause some collateral damage, then that’s a plan that we have to consider.

Note the outrageous claim that the Three Mile Island nuclear accident did not cause any fatality, a claim that, as I pointed out then, had already been totally discredited. A recent study indicated that an attack on four of Iran’s nuclear sites would kill up to 85,000 Iranians. But Clawson is oblivious to such facts.

Several months ago in a debate on al-Jazeera TV regarding the assassination of Iranian nuclear scientists, Clawson supported targeted assassination — a “polite” name for state-sponsored terrorism — which both Israel and the U.S. have been using, calling it “a valid instrument of war” and declaring,

If we were going to say that everyone that is involved in targeted assassination is responsible as a terrorist, then Mr. Obama would quickly be thrown in jail, because the United States has killed over 1000 people with its targeted assassination program with its drones, targeted assassinations that have included American citizens. So, the idea that targeted assassination is an instrument of war is something that the U.S. has well accepted. So, the idea that Israel might use targeted assassination as an instrument of war — we may not like it, we may disapprove of it, we may think that it is a bad idea for Israel to do that — but it is a valid instrument of war.

Clawson did not explain why, if his claim is true, the War Party constantly moans about Iran committing terrorism, calls for “holding Iran accountable,” and refers to Iran as the “leading sponsor of terror.” Terrorism is a valid instrument of war only for one side?

Then Avi Perry, a former Israeli intelligence officer, opined that a “Pearl Harbor-style Iranian
attack” on an American warship in the Persian Gulf would provide the pretext for the U.S. to launch all-out warfare against Iran. He did not explain why Iran would want to stage such an attack, expecting a fierce counterattack by the U.S. Perry was implicitly suggesting staging such an attack on behalf of Iranians, the way Cheney wanted it.

Clawson got Perry’s message. In September in a WINEP policy forum luncheon on “How to Build U.S.-Israeli Coordination on Preventing an Iranian Nuclear Breakout,” Clawson lamented,“I frankly think that crisis initiation [with Iran] is really tough,” and that,“It’s very hard for me to see how the United States —[the] president can get us to war with Iran.” After reciting a number of historical incidents that U.S. was able to use to justify going to war, such as the Pearl Harbor attack and the Gulf of Tonkin incident,

MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Clawson said,“So, if in fact the Iranians aren’t going to compromise, it would be best if somebody else started the war [for them],” and,“Look people, Iranian submarines periodically go down. Then, one day one of them might not come up. Who would know why? We could do a variety of things [to provoke Iranians], if we wish to increase the pressure,” and,“We are in the game of using covert means against the Iranians, we could get nastier at that.” In effect, Clawson, who should be forced to register as a lobbyist for Israel, is calling for fabricating a reason to attack Iran.

The War Party and its Israeli allies will do what they can to provoke a war with Iran over its nonexistent nuclear weapons program. Only public vigilance can prevent them from taking us to such an unjustified and criminal war.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

John_Schuylkill County_Pa wrote:
Not exactly, an email sent on July 31 2011 by John Boehner shows he is the one that came up with the sequester idea. Congress passed sequestration before obama signed it, and the whole self-defeating exercise was carried out in response to Tea Party Republicans’ insistence that we play chicken with the debt ceiling. In typical fashion, as the GOPer leader ship has done so many, many times before, it’s the straw-man tactic at its height of hypocrisy!!
ABs

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not hate any discussion...but you should always use civil language when writing to me.
Be very careful when you speak about God, Allah and prophets of Allah, like Moses, Jesus, Mohammad, may peace be on them.
Do not use uncouth words when writing about them.
If you have no feeling and regards for them , billions of other have.
If you cannot do it, then do not discuss with me.
I hope you will follow these "trivialities"
Got it Comrade AB?
One simple question...WHY do I need to be careful what I say about your self professed prophets? Are you careful what you say when speaking of matters that may be sensitive to me? If I don't like your hatred writing of jews and Israelites do I have the right to WARN YOU? Of course NOT...If I don't like what you have to say about Hindus does that give me right over you to make you quit saying how you truly feel? ABsolutely not...Besides, what has Muhammid done to earn the right not to be talked? He was illiterate, he forced a nine year old into marraige, he led a life of killing and forced submissions...yet because you have been brainwashed into accepting without question his merits of prophetism...that means that I cannot talk about him? There is an old saying in Tinyearls part of the country...it goes something like this.....FFFUUUUUHHHHHGggetta Boudit! Should I translate this for you my dear esteemed Comrade MUQ?
ABs

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

MUQ wrote:
Clawson said,“So, if in fact the Iranians aren’t going to compromise, it would be best if somebody else started the war [for them],” and,“Look people, Iranian submarines periodically go down. Then, one day one of them might not come up. Who would know why? We could do a variety of things [to provoke Iranians], if we wish to increase the pressure,” and,“We are in the game of using covert means against the Iranians, we could get nastier at that.” In effect, Clawson, who should be forced to register as a lobbyist for Israel, is calling for fabricating a reason to attack Iran.
The War Party and its Israeli allies will do what they can to provoke a war with Iran over its nonexistent nuclear weapons program. Only public vigilance can prevent them from taking us to such an unjustified and criminal war.
Do you believe Iran has a nonexistent nuclear weapons program ,Comrade MUQ? And do you believe that Ayatollah Khomeini is with the creaotr, comrade MUQ?
ABs

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly, an email sent on July 31 2011 by John Boehner shows he is the one that came up with the sequester idea. Congress passed sequestration before obama signed it, and the whole self-defeating exercise was carried out in response to Tea Party Republicans’ insistence that we play chicken with the debt ceiling. In typical fashion, as the GOPer leader ship has done so many, many times before, it’s the straw-man tactic at its height of hypocrisy!!
speaking of hypocrisy...If we were going to say that everyone that is involved in targeted assassination is responsible as a terrorist, then Mr. Obama would quickly be thrown in jail, because the United States has killed over 1000 people with its targeted assassination program with its drones, targeted assassinations that have included American citizens. So, the idea that targeted assassination is an instrument of war is something that the U.S. has well accepted...drones murdering us citizens, YES...guns with large clips.....NO
ABs

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not hate any discussion...but you should always use civil language when writing to me.
Be very careful when you speak about God, Allah and prophets of Allah, like Moses, Jesus, Mohammad, may peace be on them.
Do not use uncouth words when writing about them.
If you have no feeling and regards for them , billions of other have.
If you cannot do it, then do not discuss with me.
I hope you will follow these "trivialities"
Got it Comrade AB?
There are over a BILLION catholics as well COMRADE, doesn't make you right, and I don't see to many christians "threatening and sensoring" what I should be saying or not saying...isn't it obvious to you that the only reason religions fight for memberships is to continnue the support of their luxurious ways? And what better places to recruit new members than the poorest most oppressed regions on the planet? What other hope can people living in destitution afford to even dream about...but the thought of a great prophet who promises a better life in the next world in exchange for loyalty and submission in this life? Well like I said, COMRADE MUQ, you are not one that strikes me as ignorant...Just curious, how much money does the vatican city or Mecca pull in a year JUST from "visitors"? Got it figured out yet Comrade MUQ?
ABs

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

Oh FRANKIE? Where for arte thou francis?

Listen to what this rightwing wingnutz is saying...
Joe Biden today urged people to buy shotguns while speaking at a town hall hosted by Parents magazine. During the forum, Biden took a question from someone who asked whether a proposed ban on semi-automatic weapons would put ordinary citizens at risk, reports the Hill. No way, said the VP. "If you want to protect yourself, get a double-barrel shotgun."

He then relayed that he owned two himself and once instructed wife Jill to fire a few blasts around the house if there was trouble. "You don't need an AR-15," he said. "It's harder to aim, it's harder to use and, in fact, you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun."

Gee frankie, wonder how much stokc Say it ain't so rightwing Joe has in berreli or remington? Buy a shotgun...or better still go down to Watts and procure one that ain't registered...
ABs

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

MOST all murders are committed in the U.S. are by DEMOCRATIC voters.

FBI reports Hispanics are 3 times more likely to commit murder then Non Hispanic whites. Blacks are 7 times more likely to commit murder then Whites

41% of Whites voted for Obama… Probability 41% of white murders are Dems
71% Hispanic Voted for Obama….. Probability 71% of Hispanic murders are Dems
93% Blacks voted for Obama……… Probability 93% of Black murders are Dems

It get WORSE Puerto Rico voted to become a state. P.R. had a Dem governor for the last 50 years andis staunchly an anti-gun country with extensive GUN control laws there. P.R. does not have 1 single GUN store on the whole island yet out of 3.8 million people, P.R. has 1,100 murders a year and that rate continues to climb annually.
How is this possible?

“Silence Is Golden”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Boehner, WSJ Lash Out at Obama over Sequester

In a a scathing Wall Street Journal op-ed, Boehner pointed the finger firmly at the president as being responsible for getting the country “in this mess.”

-------

The Wall Street Journal weighed in in a separate editorial, referring to the White House event that Obama hosted on Tuesday,saying in a blistering editorial that

“Americans can expect more such melodrama in the coming days.

In what the paper called “a public service” it broke down what it described as the president’s three biggest political tricks.

The first is what it calls the Washington Monument ploy designed “to stir public support for all government spending by shutting down vital services first.
http://www.newsmax.com
Foxy is Foxy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Strike the tent.
Papas got a brand new bag

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

-Web wrote:
I read The meteor was the size of a kitchen table.
The video of it was really cool to watch. lol
Hello Web,I trust that everything is well.

http://dawn.com/2013/02/21/nasa-mars-rover-re...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

-Web wrote:
Boehner, WSJ Lash Out at Obama over Sequester
In a a scathing Wall Street Journal op-ed, Boehner pointed the finger firmly at the president as being responsible for getting the country “in this mess.”
-------
The Wall Street Journal weighed in in a separate editorial, referring to the White House event that Obama hosted on Tuesday,saying in a blistering editorial that
“Americans can expect more such melodrama in the coming days.
In what the paper called “a public service” it broke down what it described as the president’s three biggest political tricks.
The first is what it calls the Washington Monument ploy designed “to stir public support for all government spending by shutting down vital services first.
http://www.newsmax.com
Not so fast, an email sent on July 31 2011 by John Boehner shows he is the one that came up with the sequester idea. Congress passed sequestration before obama signed it, and the whole self-defeating exercise was carried out in response to Tea Party Republicans’ insistence that we play chicken with the debt ceiling. In typical fashion, as the GOPer leader ship has done so many, many times before, it’s the straw-man tactic at its height of hypocrisy!!
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Has the NRA created a monster that we can’t slay? The Second Amendment does not protect, and never has, an individual's right to own firearms willy-nilly, its purpose, at the time, was purely to guarantee that the states could maintain their own militias. Yes, how conveniently one forgets, the southern states wanted to preserve the “slave patrol militias”!
We need changes not just in laws but also in social mores – just as we’ve stigmatized drunken driving. Not to mention other kinds of irresponsibility. Traffic safety works extremely well because of strict rules, laws, registration, licensing and strict enforcement. Apply the same concept to today’s sophisticated and powerful weaponry – it’s a no-brainer!
As a nation, we regulate fire exits, but not 100-round magazines. We shield youngsters in cinemas from violence – but only if it’s on the screen. We have a ratings system to protect children from nudity (it’s a real killer) or offensive language but not 100-round magazines ...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••