The King is dead. Long live the King

Jan 12, 2010 Full story: Guardian Unlimited 183

Thousands of fans are celebrating Elvis Presley's 75th birthday. What do you imagine he would be up to on his birthday? Open thread guardian.co.uk , Friday 8 January 2010 17.31 GMT Even in a Hawaiian shirt, always the King: Elvis Presley, who would be 75 today, in Blue Hawaii.

Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#1 Jan 13, 2010
The King is Dead

but there's never been a replacement king, just pretenders to the throne

Since: Jan 10

Tahlequah, OK

#3 Jan 19, 2010
I would think you are right as he is the king. But "just pretenders" i dont think so. Lots of people have made there mark on music and they are not pretending, they are changing it every day. It would be better to think he was the king and now there isnt a single person that stands out way over the top anymore. But back then there also wasnt many singers vs today and the last 20 years have increased greatly. Back then you had to choose from 10 people you liked and now its more like 100. Makes it hard to clam one a king now. But still no pretenders, just people trying to make there mark.
Just my opinion.

http://ForeverZ.imagekind.com/
great pretendar

Australia

#4 Mar 11, 2010
elvis is still tops all over
gracelandgroupie

Siloam Springs, AR

#5 Mar 12, 2010
ForeverZ wrote:
I would think you are right as he is the king. But "just pretenders" i dont think so. Lots of people have made there mark on music and they are not pretending, they are changing it every day. It would be better to think he was the king and now there isnt a single person that stands out way over the top anymore. But back then there also wasnt many singers vs today and the last 20 years have increased greatly. Back then you had to choose from 10 people you liked and now its more like 100. Makes it hard to clam one a king now. But still no pretenders, just people trying to make there mark.
Just my opinion.
http://ForeverZ.imagekind.com/
There wasn't as many different kinds of music back then (or so called music) as there is today. So with more types of music yea more singers to choose from but i think your odds are off. There were a lot to choose from then, but none stood out like Elvis. If a person wasn't around then they can't understand it. If you were then you can't denie it. There was a magic about him that can't be matched. Thirty three years after his death people are still talking about it 33 years after he died!!!! Some words from a song i like say it best. No one has been able to pick up the septor he laid down.People by the double didget thousands gather at graceland every year to pay there resepcts 33 years after he died. To call him the king is an under statement
Just my opnion

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#6 Mar 12, 2010
Elvis was only the king in the eyes of yanks, he had a great voice but was drug addict. Compared to other musicians he was a simpleton, he never wrote nor composed any music, even though his name appeared on some songs. This was a demand for those who wanted Elvis to sing their songs, so Parker could get more money and control over royalties.

Elvis was just another Disney land manufactured product, which killed him in the end as they had to keep him drugged so they could control his life. Just like most yanks in the entertainment industry, drugged to the eyeballs.

I was a big fan of Elvis and still love the way he sang some songs. But he was just a good entertainer, not a top musician and certainly couldn't act.

“Rumoured asylum escapee”

Queensland, Australia

#7 Mar 12, 2010
If he was alive he'd still he singing to 10 & 12 year old girls about how he'd want to take them home etc.
nina

Surrey, Canada

#8 Mar 13, 2010
Palawa wrote:
Elvis was only the king in the eyes of yanks,...t....
I guess that's why when he was in the army, no German teens came out to see him arrive, at his home and when he left

and Scottish teens didn't flock to that airport when he had a 30 min stopover on his way back to the US

and why Japan was always trying to get him there to perform, so the 73 Hawaii special was broadcast for Japan's prime time and more people watched that show than the moon landing

and that's why no one came from other countries to see him in Vegas

and why the concert shows with his former band and video of Elvis isn't selling out the O2 arena and other venues around the world

and why, 32 years after his voice was silenced, no one remembers him
nina

Surrey, Canada

#9 Mar 13, 2010
oh, and of course

why Elvis still has fan clubs in countries all around the world
candysvett2

AOL

#10 Mar 13, 2010
AND I guess that is why GRACELAND isn't a favorite place of FOREIGNERS or all countries to visit...!!!

EVEN the prime minister of JAPAN was there was president bush..

ELVIS never said he was an accomplished musician or song writer..he didn't have to be anything but what he was..........

GREAT
candysvett2

AOL

#11 Mar 13, 2010
GEE.....tell us how you REALLY feel about ELvis.
Palawa wrote:
Elvis was only the king in the eyes of yanks, he had a great voice but was drug addict. Compared to other musicians he was a simpleton, he never wrote nor composed any music, even though his name appeared on some songs. This was a demand for those who wanted Elvis to sing their songs, so Parker could get more money and control over royalties.
Elvis was just another Disney land manufactured product, which killed him in the end as they had to keep him drugged so they could control his life. Just like most yanks in the entertainment industry, drugged to the eyeballs.
I was a big fan of Elvis and still love the way he sang some songs. But he was just a good entertainer, not a top musician and certainly couldn't act.
OzGurl

Surry Hills, Australia

#12 Mar 13, 2010
Elvis literally rocked the Establishment of his day, paving the way for those who followed in his genre(s) that we have enjoyed along the way

that to me is as good as King

Location hidden

#13 Mar 13, 2010
candysvett2 wrote:
GEE.....tell us how you REALLY feel about ELvis.
<quoted text>
Listen dickhead, you're welcome to your day dreams and living in a narrow past, but study the facts. There are many entertainers and musicians before and after Elvis who can claim to be famous and more popular than he was and is, in their day.

My comments were purely from a musicians perspective according to the facts, just because you live in fantasy land is not my problem.
Emoney

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Mar 13, 2010
Elvis is cool but i think the true king is Michael Jackson,but everyone is entitled to their own opinion
gracelandgroupie

Siloam Springs, AR

#15 Mar 13, 2010
Pay no attention to dumb(palawa) and dumber(australian w). They never open there mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge.
gracelandgroupie

Siloam Springs, AR

#16 Mar 13, 2010
Emoney wrote:
Elvis is cool but i think the true king is Michael Jackson,but everyone is entitled to their own opinion
Yea you are!

Location hidden

#17 Mar 13, 2010
gracelandgroupie wrote:
<quoted text> Yea you are!
You don't seem to think so, but you are a groupie so it's expected and do you know what that means down here.

Queensland, Australia

#18 Mar 13, 2010
nina wrote:
oh, and of course
why Elvis still has fan clubs in countries all around the world
So does Hitler. Fan clubs don't mean anything. And if you care more about his voice than his lack of moral standards then that says plenty about you.

Sorry but a middle aged guy singing to 10 & 12 year old girls about how he wants to take them home etc is just plain creepy.

Queensland, Australia

#19 Mar 13, 2010
@Palawa : Would you kindly cease your foul mouthed abuse.
gracelandgroupie

Siloam Springs, AR

#20 Mar 13, 2010
P...lease I could care less what it means down there. Your verlosity is exceeded only by your stupidy.

Location hidden

#21 Mar 13, 2010
Australian Warlord wrote:
@Palawa : Would you kindly cease your foul mouthed abuse.
So now we have a self righteous holier than thou PC nutter, who seems to have their head stuck firmly up their posterior in their supremacist moralistic delusion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

World News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Canadian soldier shot at war memorial 5 min Torys worst Terro... 1
Canadian shooting victim remembered for smile, ... 7 min PM our worst Terr... 1
NSA snooping angers France; Obama forced to def... (Oct '13) 8 min Swedenforever 4
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 11 min chazmo 378,284
Photos: Miley Cyrus Posts a Makeup-Free Selfie 15 min Big mike 1
Thug Politics, Kiev 15 min Lukashenko is Dr ... 13
Ukraine pins hopes on a new-look... 17 min Government of Ukr... 1

World News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE