Ghost town remnants resurface as Lexi...

Ghost town remnants resurface as Lexington Reservoir level falls

There are 46 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Dec 6, 2008, titled Ghost town remnants resurface as Lexington Reservoir level falls. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The grizzly bears, locomotives and redwood sawmills are long gone. But remnants of two forgotten ghost towns, submerged 56 years ago when Lexington Reservoir was built near Los Gatos, have resurfaced from its ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dan

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Dec 6, 2008
This is interesting. Why is it buried under so much crap in the Sentinel? This story should be on the front page of the paper.
DejaVu

Walnut Creek, CA

#2 Dec 6, 2008
Waiting for the rains to fill it up ???
Give me a friggin break..
What RAIN ??..it's going to take ALOT of rain which we are NOT going to get this winter.
SoOkiE

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Dec 6, 2008
Interesting! I have got to go see this.
Dan

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Dec 6, 2008
SoOkiE wrote:
I know, this is so cool, yet it was buried in the paper. I'm going to go out there tomorrow.
SoOkiE

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Dec 6, 2008
I agree; we often have to dig for good news like this! It's like finding a piece of colored sea glass on the beach when you have all but given up.
Looks like I won't be able to get out there until Wednesday. Am already picturing that old bridge in my head.....
Have you walked on the old Coast Highway off Rossi Road, just before Pescadero? I like to picture the people long gone and the lives they lived, driving the old road, which is in surprisingly good condition.
Have fun tomorrow!
From Aptos

Daly City, CA

#6 Dec 6, 2008
SoOkiE wrote:
You will have to go there to see it since the Sentinel is too lazy to send a photographer.
Santa Cruzan

San Jose, CA

#7 Dec 7, 2008
What a great article to read for a change. I love to read about history of the area. Well done.

Since: Feb 07

Richmond, CA

#8 Dec 7, 2008
Glad the old timer Americans can't see what we've become today.

On the other hand, if they had foresight, they would've made better laws to stop the basic social perversion that many heathen drum beat as 'normal.'

Normal for Satan, I guess.

Too late now.
Dissident

Auburn, WA

#9 Dec 7, 2008
As a young child, I would hike around the town of Lexington and find many interesting artifacts like dishes, bottles and coins. But there are other ghost towns in the mountains that many new residents are not aware of. To this day, I still have a silver coin and a couple old glass bottles I found in Lexington.

I used to hike along the old Soquel/San Jose railroad route when I was a child. If you know where to hike, you can visit the ghost towns of Wright's Station and Aldercroft and explore many old deteriorated building sights and lost 'downtowns'...and even explore the old stone railroad tunnel. You can (used to, anyway) hike from Soquel to Lexington through a mountain valley that is rich with history, but long forgotten. It's surreal to come across an old train tunnel with remnants of train tracks and a row of 'downtown' foundations along a creek in the middle of nowhere. There's also two lakes up there (Elsman & Williams) that nobody talks about anymore...they have some of the best fresh water fishing (2-5 pound land-locked steelhead) you'll find in the Santa Cruz mountains.
BlondeAmbition

Walnut Creek, CA

#10 Dec 7, 2008
Dissident wrote:
As a young child, I would hike around the town of Lexington and find many interesting artifacts like dishes, bottles and coins. But there are other ghost towns in the mountains that many new residents are not aware of. To this day, I still have a silver coin and a couple old glass bottles I found in Lexington.
I used to hike along the old Soquel/San Jose railroad route when I was a child. If you know where to hike, you can visit the ghost towns of Wright's Station and Aldercroft and explore many old deteriorated building sights and lost 'downtowns'...and even explore the old stone railroad tunnel. You can (used to, anyway) hike from Soquel to Lexington through a mountain valley that is rich with history, but long forgotten. It's surreal to come across an old train tunnel with remnants of train tracks and a row of 'downtown' foundations along a creek in the middle of nowhere. There's also two lakes up there (Elsman & Williams) that nobody talks about anymore...they have some of the best fresh water fishing (2-5 pound land-locked steelhead) you'll find in the Santa Cruz mountains.
Well now everyone will these secrets....
Why did you have to open your BIG mouth ??
Steve Hartman

AOL

#11 Dec 7, 2008
I don't know why, but in reading this story I flashed on Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin trying to retrieve all that gold from under the floorboards of the saloon in Paint Your Wagon. Then I flashed on them trying to pull that big old steel pipe through the mountain.

ONE: I'd take a camera and

TWO: I'd take a metal detector.

And, if someone does go up there and take some pictures I'd love a couple. You can send them to [email protected] I'd ask for gold or silver coins too, but that would probably be too much. Ya think?

An' we thank ya fer yer support!
Videograher

Chino, CA

#12 Dec 7, 2008
I love stuff like this.. It's well worth the equipment wear unlike surfing which is zero return around here.
Dissident

Auburn, WA

#13 Dec 7, 2008
BlondeAmbition wrote:
<quoted text>
As if you ever had a clue these places even existed.
Lido

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Dec 7, 2008
Nice story.
SCNative

United States

#15 Dec 7, 2008
BlondeAmbition wrote:
<quoted text>
Why be so selfish as to NOT share the wonders these mountains have. My aunts and older uncles talk of the days when my family lived in Alma. Long before we headed over the hill to Santa Cruz. It's GREAT to see this story in the Sentinel. I won't ratt out the rest of your "secret ponds, trails and lakes" that are in every santa cruz trail book. LOLOL
Dissident

Auburn, WA

#16 Dec 7, 2008
SCNative wrote:
<quoted text>
Why be so selfish as to NOT share the wonders these mountains have. My aunts and older uncles talk of the days when my family lived in Alma. Long before we headed over the hill to Santa Cruz. It's GREAT to see this story in the Sentinel. I won't ratt out the rest of your "secret ponds, trails and lakes" that are in every santa cruz trail book. LOLOL
I hadn't thought of these places for years, until reading this story. I just Googled it and found websites that are very detailed in directions and accessibility. I think people should visit the old ghost towns and learn more about them.

Lake Elsman (& Williams) is owned by Water works and last time I was there (25+ years ago), I was asked to leave. I haven't been back since....but I remember at the time thinking the end was near. My friends and I would hike up there and camp next to the north creek that feeds lake Elsman. We would fish in the morning and stay for a couple days. the fishing was unbelievable...and on more than one occasion, we saw wild boar on the opposte side of the lake.

We would hike down to Wright's Station and dig for stuff. You could identify the trash pits of the ex-residents by odd, grown-over sink holes. Just dig down a foot or so and you can find many old things discarded 100 years ago. If we wanted to explore further, we'd take our dirt bikes and ride them along the creek all the way to Alma and Lexington....this is the old train route.

If you Google it, you can find these places easily...even a paved road right up near the Wright's Station tunnel. It appears mountain biking has discovered these trails....not surprising. It's a great area rich with history.
renesands

San Diego, CA

#17 Dec 7, 2008
scout wrote:
Glad the old timer Americans can't see what we've become today.
On the other hand, if they had foresight, they would've made better laws to stop the basic social perversion that many heathen drum beat as 'normal.'
Normal for Satan, I guess.
Too late now.
Heathen drumbeat?? SATAN??!? HA ha... did you notice the part about saloons, murder, multiple lumber operations wreaking ecologic havoc?
'Judge not', I think the phrase starts.

But thanks for weighing in...it takes all kinds; now THAT'S the Santa Cruz normal.
cbg

Port Orchard, WA

#18 Dec 7, 2008
now thats a history lesson....
HasunFuff

Capitola, CA

#21 Dec 7, 2008
Nice Story! Keep these coming...
TREEHUGGER

United States

#23 Dec 7, 2008
Thanks for sharing your memories Dissident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Make-up artist and Halloween enthusiast Blaine ... (Oct '09) Mar '11 Jim Ambrose 12
News Keeper of the Weed: Santa Cruz pot shop grows o... (Nov '09) Nov '10 Joe 43
News Despite declining enrollment statewide, local p... (Aug '10) Sep '10 Laura 45
News Save Our Shores hosts annual fundraiser (Aug '10) Aug '10 Dolphin girl 5
News Green tomatoes: There's no fighting the fog (Aug '10) Aug '10 Idle Thoughts 7
News Globe Trotter: Bonny Doon woman running the wor... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Toni of Bonny Doon 9
News Karen Kefauver, Spin City: The low-down on Down... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Auntie Joy 2
More from around the web