Montreal transit workers refuse to serve English-speaking minister

Jul 14, 2012 Full story: www.sunnewsnetwork.ca 71

Under Quebec law, the city cannot force its employees to speak another language other than French

MONTREAL - An appointed minister has filed a complaint with the city's transit authority because he claims two subway employees told him they "don't serve English people."

Michael Dunning told QMI Agency that when he asked, in English, for an all-day pass at a Montreal subway station on Monday, the two employees behind the glass laughed and cursed him.

"They didn't say: 'We don't have to speak English,'" Dunning, 55, told QMI Agency on Friday. "They told me: 'We don't serve English people.'"

Moreover, Dunning said he was dismissed on the phone when he called to register a formal complaint two days later. He said it was only when Montreal's English-language media reported on the story that he received a call from the transit authority's legal department.

Marianne Rouette, spokeswoman for the city's transit department, said it received Dunning's complaint and "an investigation is underway."

She said by Quebec law, the city cannot force its employees to speak another language other than French.

Article 45 and 46 of Quebec's French-language law stipulate that an employer cannot reproach an employee for not being able to speak a language other than French. Nor can employers force an employee to speak anything other than French on the job, unless their specific duties necessitate them knowing another language.

Read more
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
bilingualandprou dofit

Moncton, Canada

#61 Aug 1, 2012
John Johnson wrote:
<quoted text> HAHA And a dumbass who still doesn't grasp the fact that new Brunswick is bilingual... NOT Canada ass wipe
Wake up call assh*le... Canada has been officially bilingual since 1982, learn your history dumbass !
bilingualandprou dofit

Moncton, Canada

#62 Aug 1, 2012
voteearlyvoteoften wrote:
<quoted text>
Officially maybe......but it seems Quebec is unofficially French only.
I'm not your Buddy, Guy!
Never said you were... I don't keep bigots as friends !!!
daryl doucette

Moncton, Canada

#63 Aug 1, 2012
Canada is an english country, except for the ethnocentric rascist province of kebec, which hopefully will leave canada soon.
notme

Moncton, Canada

#64 Aug 1, 2012
CANADA is bilingual except for a few fools on oneside CALLED ANGLOSAXON and the other side called parti stupid oops quebecois
bilingualandprou dofit

Moncton, Canada

#65 Aug 2, 2012
daryl doucette wrote:
Canada is an english country, except for the ethnocentric rascist province of kebec, which hopefully will leave canada soon.
You can keep repeating that to yourself all you want, it won't make it so, or change the fact that by law (which you are not above even if you are part of the linguistic majority) Canada IS BILINGUAL. And before you make a moronic remark about my writing that you are part of the linguistic majority, yes I know that English is the linguistic majority in Canada, I nerve denied that in any of my comments. But that does not change the fact that Canada is LEGALLY BILINGUAL !
daryl doucette

Moncton, Canada

#66 Aug 2, 2012
aha! you admit that canada is english. about time! The wife and i were downtown in Moncton this pm to see the big celebration of our cities 10 yr anniversary of being "the only officially bilingual city in canada" har har what a lark that was, there were only about 24 old francophones there in the audience (free sandwhiches and coffee) and it was funny to see english politicians and beaurocrats kissin french ass...and then the french comedian got to the microphone and sat there and insulted everything english, insulted PM Harpers ability to speak french, basically ridiculed anglos that attempted and haved learn french, and all the while english people like Brian Murphy, dawn arnold and several others giggled and clapped, thought i was going to puke, head french extremist supremacist Carrier was a lovin it,
the wife was steaming wild and we had to get the heck outa there before she blew a gasket, wish you folks could have been there!
bilingualandprou dofit

Moncton, Canada

#67 Aug 2, 2012
I told you you'd make a moronic remark. I didn't admit Canada was English, I only said the the linguistic majority was English. I still maintain that in the law books and in our constitution (you know, the thing that makes us a free country and not subject to and old kingdom on the other side of the Atlantic) Canada is BILINGUAL !
Oh, and how I would've loved to see your wife blow a gasket because anothers (not Anglo) have the legal right to enjoy the same previleges as you and her.
By the way, thank you to the both of you for coming down and encouraging this City's endeavour to promote bilingualism... BRAVO !!!
daryl doucette

Moncton, Canada

#68 Aug 3, 2012
where services warrant....boy they sure as hell blew that one outa the water....and george leblanc said that 50% of city staff is bilingual....thats a bit too much, but i guess 50% is ok...should be about 40 % to reflect the proportion in this area, which i have absolutely no problem with....but i suppose you morons want EVERY employee to be "bilingual"(french). ..
bob

Moncton, Canada

#69 Aug 3, 2012
daryl doucette wrote:
where services warrant....boy they sure as hell blew that one outa the water....and george leblanc said that 50% of city staff is bilingual....thats a bit too much, but i guess 50% is ok...should be about 40 % to reflect the proportion in this area, which i have absolutely no problem with....but i suppose you morons want EVERY employee to be "bilingual"(french). ..
I'm pretty sure everybody agrees with a proportional system. Official bilingualism does not mean bilingualism for everyone :) I'm just wondering why jobs are either bilingual or unilingual english. To be fair, not only we need to respect proportions, but we also need to give the same type of linguistic profile to francophones and anglophones jobs.

Just saying. I know this would be impossible because of communication challenges, but Daryl, since you look at ''unfairnesses'', I point one at you. Unilingual francophones are totally rejected from the civil service.
daryl doucette

Moncton, Canada

#70 Aug 4, 2012
well bob that may be the case....but guess what? There are no unilingual francophones out there. They all speak english. And if you find one or two here in nb that can't speak english, would it not make more sense to give that handful of people english training instead of attempting to teach millions of english people french? Dis, dat and dere will qualify you as a bilingual francophone. A MASTERS DEGREE IN FRENCH FROM U DE PARIS MIGHT MAKE AN ANGLOPHONE BILINGUAL!
Quebec Hater

Richmond, Canada

#71 Sep 12, 2013
bilingualandproudofit wrote:
Funny how that pisses you off, but the fact that a francophone can't get service in French at the Halifax International Airport seems normal to you.
You advocate a double standard ! That is generally called bigotery !
For my part, I disagree with both incidents, French or English, you should bve able to have service in your language when it comes to things like transportation !!!
Get the hell out, you french frog. All you frogs are alike. I despise Quebec. the big toilet bowl of Canada.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

World Soccer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stunned loved ones hold candlelight vigil for P... (May '11) 18 hr stewart scott 8
News St Johnstone chief Steve Brown slams council pl... Mar 23 stewart scott 2
News Fenerbahce seeks winning start in 2nd round of ... (Feb '08) Mar 23 stewart scott 141
Kartal evden eve nakliyat (Aug '14) Mar 20 Evdeneve 4
News EXCLUSIVE: Man Utd to use David De Gea as bait ... Mar 19 stewart scott 2
News Klose scores 2 as Lazio beats Fiorentina 4-0 in... Mar 14 pasquale 1
News Klose double caps Lazio rout of Fiorentina Mar 14 Jacket 1
More from around the web