Montreal transit workers refuse to se...

Montreal transit workers refuse to serve English-speaking minister

There are 71 comments on the www.sunnewsnetwork.ca story from Jul 14, 2012, titled Montreal transit workers refuse to serve English-speaking minister. In it, www.sunnewsnetwork.ca reports that:

Under Quebec law, the city cannot force its employees to speak another language other than French

MONTREAL - An appointed minister has filed a complaint with the city's transit authority because he claims two subway employees told him they "don't serve English people."

Michael Dunning told QMI Agency that when he asked, in English, for an all-day pass at a Montreal subway station on Monday, the two employees behind the glass laughed and cursed him.

"They didn't say: 'We don't have to speak English,'" Dunning, 55, told QMI Agency on Friday. "They told me: 'We don't serve English people.'"

Moreover, Dunning said he was dismissed on the phone when he called to register a formal complaint two days later. He said it was only when Montreal's English-language media reported on the story that he received a call from the transit authority's legal department.

Marianne Rouette, spokeswoman for the city's transit department, said it received Dunning's complaint and "an investigation is underway."

She said by Quebec law, the city cannot force its employees to speak another language other than French.

Article 45 and 46 of Quebec's French-language law stipulate that an employer cannot reproach an employee for not being able to speak a language other than French. Nor can employers force an employee to speak anything other than French on the job, unless their specific duties necessitate them knowing another language.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sunnewsnetwork.ca.

Quiet Riot

Moncton, Canada

#41 Jul 28, 2012
notme wrote:
Section 133 of the British North America Act (now the Constitution Act) permits the use of either English or French in the debates of Parliament as well as in the proceedings before the federal courts. This section also provides that both languages must be used in the records and journals of Parliament, and that its laws must be enacted and published in both languages.
But no where did it say that french was to be necessary in every day business and lives.
notme

Moncton, Canada

#42 Jul 28, 2012
fool so Trudeau was around in 1867 shows how simple you are ...

oh btw go to much flak too your cap off
daryl doucette

Dieppe, Canada

#43 Jul 28, 2012
you drinkin again? What you write makes no sense....
notme

Moncton, Canada

#44 Jul 28, 2012
Quiet Riot wrote:
<quoted text>
But no where did it say that french was to be necessary in every day business and lives.
but nowhere does it say English is either
daryl doucette

Dieppe, Canada

#45 Jul 28, 2012
who won the war.....
Quiet Riot

Moncton, Canada

#46 Jul 28, 2012
notme wrote:
<quoted text>
but nowhere does it say English is either
ahhhh but it was written in English only at the time ,by the British who yes did win the war and all the marbles.

No where is it written that “in second place the french get ..."
bilingualandprou dofit

Moncton, Canada

#47 Jul 29, 2012
There you all go again talking about that war between France and Great Britain, way the f**k back in the 1700's... Come back a few centuries there cowboys, to 1982 more precisely, where this country you and I live in became officially bilingual. Stop dreaming of 18th century rules and live in the present a bit, otherwise, you might end up in the looney bin for imagining you're someone like Robert K Monkcton or James Wolfe !!!
daryl doucette

Moncton, Canada

#48 Jul 30, 2012
dreaming....you are an ass. It's ok for you french extremists to CONTINUALLY whine and cry about 1755, but when an ENGLISH person casually mentions who won that war they are "dreaming"...you french extremists are the worst kind of hypocrites that exist....and this country is english, not bilingual...except for that kebec bunch of idiots...
bilingualandprou dofit

Moncton, Canada

#49 Jul 30, 2012
An historical fact for you... The Acadiens were not at war, France was. All the Acadians wanted was to be left alone to farm their lands (by England and by France). But the churches decided otherwise.

And I still come back to the fact that you all have to accept the truth about Canada... IT'S BILINGUAL AND HAS BEEN SINCE 1982 !!!
notme

Moncton, Canada

#50 Jul 30, 2012
actually it has been since the beginning but got better in 1982
daryl doucette

Moncton, Canada

#51 Jul 31, 2012
so if you morons all got together and made a statement that the moon was made of cheese, and kept insisting and saying it over and over and over and over again, in spite of what you said and wrote, the truth is is that the moon is not made of cheese, and no matter how much you insist, it just isn'nt. NEVER WAS , NEVER WILL BE.

bob

Moncton, Canada

#52 Jul 31, 2012
Daryll... What do you medan by Canada is not a bilingual country? If it is about individual bilingualism, you're right. The majority of Canadians are unilingual. In that sense, Canada is not a bilingual country.
If we are talking about the status of french and english, well... I guess bilingualdo is right. Both language are ''equal'' since the OLA exist and is entrenched in the constitution. Both have the same status regarding bilingual services, school governance etc.
It's quite simple guys.
notme

Moncton, Canada

#53 Jul 31, 2012
amen fools will always be fools ... they cannot even understand English let alone French it is written in black and white right in our constitutions that we are a bilingual country like it or not .. it is here to stay ..
before bitcching at other language learn to read your own and understand it
bilingualandprou dofit

Moncton, Canada

#54 Jul 31, 2012
daryl doucette wrote:
so if you morons all got together and made a statement that the moon was made of cheese, and kept insisting and saying it over and over and over and over again, in spite of what you said and wrote, the truth is is that the moon is not made of cheese, and no matter how much you insist, it just isn'nt. NEVER WAS , NEVER WILL BE.
How do you know it is not made of cheese? Have you been there? Have you really seen it with your own eyes and tasted the dirt from the surface of the moon? Bring me proof of what you allege. I have given you proof of the legality of Canadian bilingualism, yet you remain blind to the truth. So in the face of your irrationality, I say, bring me tangible proof the the moon is not made of cheese.
daryl doucette

Dieppe, Canada

#55 Aug 1, 2012
you are losing your marbles....and bob u are correct....most canadians are unilingual, therefore this is not a bilingual country, in spite of a few whiny french extremists who dream that it is. and the OLA, unentrench it i say....make canada officially english and boot that bunch called kebec out of confederation.
voteearlyvoteoft en

Virginia Beach, VA

#56 Aug 1, 2012
bilingualandproudofit wrote:
where this country you and I live in became officially bilingual.
Officially maybe......but it seems Quebec is unofficially French only.

I'm not your Buddy, Guy!
notme

Moncton, Canada

#57 Aug 1, 2012
voteearlyvoteoften wrote:
<quoted text>
Officially maybe......but it seems Quebec is unofficially French only.
I'm not your Buddy, Guy!
well in my book Quebec are like you fools extremist so what is good for the gander is good for the goose....

maybe if you would slow down in throwing your ENglish down their throats (you guys words) they would slow down being extremist ....
notme

Moncton, Canada

#58 Aug 1, 2012
and it funny how every new anti french poster have foreign ip and in different colors this = proxy ip's prob same guys different names ,different ip's
daryl doucette

Dieppe, Canada

#59 Aug 1, 2012
u funny guy notme....because an anglophone does not want to be discriminated against makes them anti french....u r an idiot. all you french speak english anyways, so whats the big deal, after all you r the minority...
Logic

Miramichi, Canada

#60 Aug 1, 2012
daryl doucette wrote:
u funny guy notme....because an anglophone does not want to be discriminated against makes them anti french....u r an idiot. all you french speak english anyways, so whats the big deal, after all you r the minority...
You seem to keep ranting about minorities not having the same rights etc. Are you saying First Nations should have no rights?

Also, You are a minority when it comes to Gender. Should we abolish any rights you have and give them all to women since they are the majority Gender?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

World Soccer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parca Esya Tasima Firmalari (Feb '16) Dec 2 arif 4
News Assistant Chief Constable Rebekah Sutcliffe Dec 1 Maltepeli 5
Venue of Albania-Israel match changed 'for secu... Nov 8 openmind693 1
Judge accepts charges against Neymar over Barce... Nov 7 openmind693 1
News Arsene Wenger could make several changes to his... Nov '16 jeddahgunner 1
News Robbie Savage column: Arsenal have only attract... Oct '16 OnlyoneArsenewenger 2
egesoy evden eve naklİyat (Mar '16) Oct '16 Davut EGESOY 3
More from around the web