No Cigarettes at Oktoberfest: Bavaria...

No Cigarettes at Oktoberfest: Bavaria Bans Smoking

There are 23 comments on the Time story from Jul 13, 2010, titled No Cigarettes at Oktoberfest: Bavaria Bans Smoking. In it, Time reports that:

Visitors to Munich's world-famous Oktoberfest beer festival will soon be in for a nasty surprise if they decide to spark up a smoke to go with that ale - starting next year, they could face a hefty fine.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Time.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#21 Jul 16, 2010
Pesky army wrote:
When I smoke in a place designated for it, just walk away and let me enjoy my cigarettes.
Case closed !
No reason for walking away. I won't be there in the first place.

The case will be closer to closed when such places are the ONLY places nonsmokers have to avoid in order to go about our business without continual SHS exposure. For now, it is still far too much a question of nonsmoking islands in a smoking sea, when the relatively low number of people who need places to smoke--compounded by the comparatively huge portion of the atmosphere involved in a single person's indulgence--makes it clear that it should be the other way around.

The case is more complicated, though, by the criminal nature of the tobacco companies. They are, for now, shielded from any significant retribution by the bodies of the tens of millions of addicts who would suffer if the country struck down the corrupt companies. The executives of the companies themselves have recognized for years that:

1) regulation of smoking by venue restriction would reduce consumption of their products

2) reduction of consumption of their products would reduce nicotine dependence among their customers

3) reduction of nicotine dependence among their customers would result in a dramatic increase in the number of unwilling customers who successfully tried to quit using their products

4) a dramatic increase in the number of unwilling customers who successfully try to quit using their products (along with swelling the ranks of those calling for regulation of such use) would weaken the illusion of "normalness" use of their products enjoys

5) weakened illusion of normalness would inhibit recruitment of new customers

6) all of these things would be VERY bad for business.

They also realized that concern surrounding the effects of SHS would go farther toward hastening all of these effects than anything else in history. That's why the multi-billion dollar, decades-long effort to create and foster an illusion that there is some legitimate scientific debate regarding the harmful nature of SHS.

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#22 Jul 16, 2010
hugh,

you could have stopped right there while you were ahead.
all the rest is your speculation.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#23 Jul 16, 2010
Pesky army wrote:
hugh,
you could have stopped right there while you were ahead.
all the rest is your speculation.
Nope. Go read the tobacco industry's battle plans and the reasonings leading up to those plans. they are available online because the courts forced them to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Democratic Party of Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Germany legalizes same-sex marriage after Merke... Jul '17 Robert 45
News Germany's Merkel starts 3rd term in new coalition (Dec '13) May '17 Macron your Presi... 62
News Cyber spies target German party think-tanks ahe... Apr '17 Xstain Mullah Aroma 1
News a Germany Threatens to Sue Facebook: Not Deleti... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Corporate Corruption 1
News German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said the TT... (Aug '16) Sep '16 Captain Yesterday 48
News EU-US trade deal talks have stalled, says Germa... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Le Jimbo 6
News German minister calls for new arms control agre... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web