Samaras says Greece should set out EEZ

Samaras says Greece should set out EEZ

There are 29 comments on the The Cyprus Weekly story from Feb 20, 2012, titled Samaras says Greece should set out EEZ. In it, The Cyprus Weekly reports that:

The frontrunner in Greece's parliamentary election said Monday the indebted country should set out the borders of an offshore economic exploitation zone, a step towards hydrocarbon exploration that could antagonise its long-term rival Turkey.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cyprus Weekly.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TRUTHlover

Romania

#21 Mar 3, 2012
John wrote:
<quoted text>
I am very experienced in legal matters.
Turkey has concluded agreements based on the UN convention of law of the sea. This has unfortunately for Turkey is a precedent and amounts to indirect ratification of the UN convention of the law of the sea.
Turkey thinks it can have double standards and bully nations when its suites it.

Well my apologies ... for believing you are not experienced in legal matters.

Nonetheless I do not agree, I believe you are wrong! What you refer to is Practice of Commonwealth Law, which can not be applied to UN conventions!

Even if it would, any solicitor will confirm you only a Judge can decdide if a law was correctly applied or not. This a principle of Western law!

Cheers,
TRUTHlover

Romania

#22 Mar 3, 2012
MKZ6 wrote:
<quoted text>I respond foolish to foolish remarks ,when a turkish said or turkish way or the highway ,dont expect a logic respond you get a foolish. Turkey to protect her citizens from who? can you tell> Greece dont threat with cause belly ,will land to anatolia or cross Evros, Turkey does, cross river equipment are by Evros ,i do know greece has too was there long time ago and were there then im sure are there still today.answer to me where is the threat from Greece ? no landing crafts as almost 100 turkish by Anatolia only defence equipment on Greek islands.Why your people use all the time eastern roman empire ? in 321 AD Konstantine the chloros became emperor ,and if you know Greek is not latin ,move the capital from pagan rome to istanbul,or to be correct Bysantium which rename after his name Konstantinou-polis in Greek city of konstantine is latin to you ?. soem say byzantines were greek speaking romans wrong man were Greek speaking Greeks .I did came to America from the mountains of Greece never took a history lesson i Finnish greek highschool and further study history to enter in higher education ,i Had plenty of History and internet historians infuriate me with lies.Man what the point to talk to your people when you want half the Aegean sea ,where manny Greek islands located in that Half ,I ask repeately how you can do that? i still dont get an answer can you tell how you can have greek islands with greek people on it in turkish control sea territory? just tell me how ,very clear practically ,where you draw the line ?let me know I do know 90/100 of the greek islands nemes,we dont want Anatolia or Istanbul we just want to keep what is left to us ,and no more Grey zones thats is a claim for more Greek land to me .with regards ,i dont hate turks only what they say here ,which to me are completetly unjustice. And again is no hate in my words. spelling errors may appear disregard,also syntactical.
Okay, I can see from where you are coming, thus but let me clarify the main 3 points in your post:

a.) Eastern Roman Empire? Until their last day, the people of this empire referred to themselves as Eastern Romans - not Greeks. In Greek: ROUMELI.
The Eastern Roman Empire was not based on a single ethnical group, similar like the Ottoman Empire.

These are facts, which you can find in any history book !

b.) Where should be the borders drawn .... a very difficult question to answer ....

Nonetheless there are conventions signed by Turkey and Greece after the end of the great war, in the 1920 and later on 1930's where both states agreed what should be the max sea territorial rights. In the 20's it was agreed to 3 miles, in the 30's extended to 6 miles.

The rest was regarded as International Sea!

Certainly at those times it did not exist talks about EEZ's and so on .... But that is also the reason, in the past such matters were discussed and negotiated between both states and Turkey insists (based on the previous agreements) it has to be done again and can't be one-sided changed.

As certainly you and general Greece has her point, Turkey has her point too.

c.) I do not know what is here not to understand? I said Greece will do what ever possible for her citizens, the same will Turkey too!

Any government has the obligation to do the best for

1. their OWN citizens,
2. other nations

Isn't your new home/host country, the US the best example?

Cheers,
Mkz6M

Bronx, NY

#23 Mar 3, 2012
TRUTHlover wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I can see from where you are coming, thus but let me clarify the main 3 points in your post:
a.) Eastern Roman Empire? Until their last day, the people of this empire referred to themselves as Eastern Romans - not Greeks. In Greek: ROUMELI.
The Eastern Roman Empire was not based on a single ethnical group, similar like the Ottoman Empire.
These are facts, which you can find in any history book !
b.) Where should be the borders drawn .... a very difficult question to answer ....
Nonetheless there are conventions signed by Turkey and Greece after the end of the great war, in the 1920 and later on 1930's where both states agreed what should be the max sea territorial rights. In the 20's it was agreed to 3 miles, in the 30's extended to 6 miles.
The rest was regarded as International Sea!
Certainly at those times it did not exist talks about EEZ's and so on .... But that is also the reason, in the past such matters were discussed and negotiated between both states and Turkey insists (based on the previous agreements) it has to be done again and can't be one-sided changed.
As certainly you and general Greece has her point, Turkey has her point too.
c.) I do not know what is here not to understand? I said Greece will do what ever possible for her citizens, the same will Turkey too!
Any government has the obligation to do the best for
1. their OWN citizens,
2. other nations
Isn't your new home/host country, the US the best example?
Cheers,
eastern roman empire died was Byzantine I'n 800ad the church split to orthodox .all the writings in Istanbul were I'n Greek ,take a look in Agia Sophia I did .is walking distance from the gatata overpass right after the market passing the mosque walk up the hill pass a millitary base on you right ,is about 200 meters from there.,chick inside Greek style church no statues romans did had a have statues no icons in Greek A and omega is Latin to you ?the 200000 people left. I'n 1956 spoke only Greek they to Athens not Rome and of that turkey try's to say Greeks never lived I'n that land and you knowwell is a big lie .laws change now we have EEZ zones turkey has to go to court setle the dispute and stop threat Greece if they take them to court than we declare cause belly means war,. unless you give them everthing they want.is that what turkey wants ?war or court let me know .and tell about draw the line in aegean sea ,is no way possible unless Greece. Donate some islands to turkey
TRUTHlover

Romania

#24 Mar 5, 2012
Mkz6M wrote:
<quoted text>eastern roman empire died was Byzantine I'n 800ad the church split to orthodox .all the writings in Istanbul were I'n Greek ,take a look in Agia Sophia I did .is walking distance from the gatata overpass right after the market passing the mosque walk up the hill pass a millitary base on you right ,is about 200 meters from there.,chick inside Greek style church no statues romans did had a have statues no icons in Greek A and omega is Latin to you ?the 200000 people left. I'n 1956 spoke only Greek they to Athens not Rome and of that turkey try's to say Greeks never lived I'n that land and you knowwell is a big lie .laws change now we have EEZ zones turkey has to go to court setle the dispute and stop threat Greece if they take them to court than we declare cause belly means war,. unless you give them everthing they want.is that what turkey wants ?war or court let me know .and tell about draw the line in aegean sea ,is no way possible unless Greece. Donate some islands to turkey
Mate calm down!

a.) I never heard that the Turks in any way declared that there never lived Greeks in Turkey or the Ottoman Empire.

That would be the most stupid thing!

It is documented that for centuries the Ottoman government members or other high rank public servants were of Armenian and Greek origin. Especially for the administration of the Ottoman territories in the Balkans, the Ottoman authorities employed significant numbers of Greeks for public servant positions.
In the Balkans the Ottomans Sultan’s authority was mainly represented by Greeks.

Thus anybody declaring there were no Greeks living in the Ottoman Empire, the Republic or Istanbul is an idiot!

b.) Byzantine Empire, once again ..... the population of this Empire (incl. the Byzantine Emperor) declared themselves "Roumeli".
What of course does not mean that they were Romans in sense of being from Rom and/or of Italian stock.(Anyway not all Romans were Italians; many ethnical groups were part of the Roman Empire!)

It is also fact that the ruling class of the East Roman Empire certainly were at the beginning more Italian then Greek, however over time, yes they became more and more Hellenic (Hellenization period), there is no doubt, which, as you stress out, is again proven through inscriptions in Ancient Greek in the churches etc....

The population perhaps was always predominantly of Hellenic origin in and around Constantinople/Istanbul.
But did you know that before the Seljuks or Ottomans turned up, already a large number of Turkic tribes had immigrated to the Byzantine Empire and had become Christians and were until the end loyal subjects of the Byzantine Emperor?
What again means that the population of the Byzantine Empire were not only Greeks, there were many other nationalities, the today's Bulgarian, Albanians, Armenians, Assyrians, Kurds, Arabs, Georgians, Tatars, other Turkic tribes etc...

This is maybe one of the reasons why the Byzantine Empire rulers and the population never called themselves Greek, they, in full right, saw and regarded themselves as the descendents of the East Roman Empire, therefore they called themselves "Roumeli" (Romans).

Historical documents show that, the Byzantine Emperor signed this decrees with the title ‘Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire’!

c.) You say in 1956 200.000 people left Turkey, well are you aware how many Turks had to leave during the same period Greece? It was not a one-sided event.

d.) Sea border to Turkey? It is law???? Mate, if you have signed a contract (agreement) before a law has entered in force, then the articles of the agreement takes precedence.

Again, Greece has her point; however Turkey has her point too.

Cheers,
MKZ6

Shirley, NY

#25 Mar 6, 2012
TRUTHlover wrote:
<quoted text>Mate calm down!
a.) I never heard that the Turks in any way declared that there never lived Greeks in Turkey or the Ottoman Empire.
It is documented that for centuries the Ottoman government members or other high rank public servants were of Armenian and Greek origin. Especially for the administration of the Ottoman territories in the Balkans, the Ottoman authorities employed significant numbers of Greeks for public servant positions.
In the Balkans the Ottomans Sultan’s authority was mainly represented by Greeks.
Thus anybody declaring there were no Greeks living in the Ottoman Empire, the Republic or Istanbul is an idiot!
b.) Byzantine Empire, once again ..... the population of this Empire (incl. the Byzantine Emperor) declared themselves "Roumeli".
What of course does not mean that they were Romans in sense of being from Rom and/or of Italian stock.(Anyway not all Romans were Italians; many ethnical groups were part of the Roman Empire!)
It is also fact that the ruling class of the East Roman Empire certainly were at the beginning more Italian then Greek, however over time, yes they became more and more Hellenic (Hellenization period), there is no doubt, which, as you stress out, is again proven through inscriptions in Ancient Greek in the churches etc....
The population perhaps was always predominantly of Hellenic origin in and around Constantinople/Istanbul.
But did you know that before the Seljuks or Ottomans turned up, already a large number of Turkic tribes had immigrated to the Byzantine Empire and had become Christians and were until the end loyal subjects of the Byzantine Emperor?
What again means that the population of the Byzantine Empire were not only Greeks, there were many other nationalities, the today's Bulgarian, Albanians, Armenians, Assyrians, Kurds, Arabs, Georgians, Tatars, other Turkic tribes etc...
This is maybe one of the reasons why the Byzantine Empire rulers and the population never called themselves Greek, they, in full right, saw and regarded themselves as the descendents of the East Roman Empire, therefore they called themselves "Roumeli" (Romans).
Historical documents show that, the Byzantine Emperor signed this decrees with the title ‘Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire’!
c.) You say in 1956 200.000 people left Turkey, well are you aware how many Turks had to leave during the same period Greece? It was not a one-sided event.
d.) Sea border to Turkey? It is law???? Mate, if you have signed a contract (agreement) before a law has entered in force, then the articles of the agreement takes precedence.
Cheers,
your are 95/100 right only the 5/100 i object.yes byzantine empire was big in the beggining up to Egypt but shrank with the time .Were slavs and turks ,and arabs too,but the ruling class was Greek as the last Konstantine came from peloponissos to save the empire and die.Romans stay in today Italy only garrisons and governors move all over the empire,were not as the greeks and the turks relocate in the empire.Logicly the people live in the capital of a nation or an empire are the same as the goverment ,you cant have a greek goverment in a turkish capital,so if people in Konstantinoupolis were Greek the goverment was greek so the empire was Greek basic law of logic .My friend Romans Italians were Catholics byzantines were orthodox.another reason rumeli stay as a name not nationality,was Roman area after defeted the Macedonians in the first century BC.
MKZ6

Shirley, NY

#26 Mar 6, 2012
TRUTHlover wrote:
<quoted text>Mate calm down!
Cheers,
I have to say you are historicly very well inform,most Turkish here are not. the reason i assume ,Greeks do not have any connection to byzantine ,no claims to Istanbul,which they do not.I only obeject for historic truth .Doresc de repetat romaneste.Ce este dubrim?nu inteleg.scuzati-me.Vorbesc numai putin Romaneste.Cum va mumit?Numele meu este stelios.Paizano este italiano lol
TRUTHlover

Romania

#27 Mar 11, 2012
MKZ6 wrote:
<quoted text>I have to say you are historicly very well inform,most Turkish here are not. the reason i assume ,Greeks do not have any connection to byzantine ,no claims to Istanbul,which they do not.I only obeject for historic truth .Doresc de repetat romaneste.Ce este dubrim?nu inteleg.scuzati-me.Vorbesc numai putin Romaneste.Cum va mumit?Numele meu este stelios.Paizano este italiano lol
Buna Stelios,
eu cred ca numele meu nu are importanta.

Si ciar daca nu sti sa vurbesti romaneste putem sa comunicam in engleza.

Dar pana acuma nu am inteles ce seamana "Paizano"?

Salutari

(Cheers,)
MKZ6

Shirley, NY

#28 Mar 11, 2012
TRUTHlover wrote:
<quoted text>
Buna Stelios,
eu cred ca numele meu nu are importanta.
Si ciar daca nu sti sa vurbesti romaneste putem sa comunicam in engleza.
Dar pana acuma nu am inteles ce seamana "Paizano"?
Salutari
(Cheers,)
ok you dont have to give your name is not importan.and we can speak in english.I was able to commnunicate in romanian ,with an old romanian man but is not around anymore and i forget the words ,if you dont use it you loose it .its easy to learn a language the promblem is keep it need practice .salut my friend if we all agree will be very boring here so disagree its ok for me .
TRUTHlover

Romania

#29 Mar 13, 2012
MKZ6 wrote:
<quoted text>ok you dont have to give your name is not importan.and we can speak in english.I was able to commnunicate in romanian ,with an old romanian man but is not around anymore and i forget the words ,if you dont use it you loose it .its easy to learn a language the promblem is keep it need practice .salut my friend if we all agree will be very boring here so disagree its ok for me .
Thanks and all the best to you too.
Cheers,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Democracy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Greece's Syriza Set to Sweep Election in Anti-A... Jan '15 jeffry 1
News Syriza Poised for Victory in Greek Election Jan '15 good 1
News New Democracy looking to attract SYRIZA doubters Jan '15 goldman sux 1
News Greece's bail-out: Not so fast (Oct '14) Oct '14 what 1
News Greece set to allow home foreclosures, risking ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 NICK 1
News Greek austerity destroys education (Apr '13) Apr '13 european2012 1
News Greece concerned about outbreak of violence (Jan '13) Jan '13 Xpysh Avgh 7
More from around the web