Macedonia's River Rubbish Makes Waves...

Macedonia's River Rubbish Makes Waves in Greece

There are 40 comments on the BalkanInsight.com story from Jan 21, 2011, titled Macedonia's River Rubbish Makes Waves in Greece. In it, BalkanInsight.com reports that:

Garbage floating south down the Vardar is further troubling the waters between Greece and Macedonia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BalkanInsight.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reality Sux

Toronto, Canada

#1 Jan 21, 2011
Perhaps Skopjes aren't brainwashed - it may just be the water they drink that affects them so negatively - it must take a toll on their intelligence.
the ovchar

United States

#2 Jan 22, 2011
Perhaps a great floatilla of one million rubber ducks with a call out to the one million macedonians on both sides of the border would raise some heads...recognition for macedonia and macedonians - no more borders! would be the mantra!

Or simply...macedonia for the macedonians!

Would be a scary thought for the greeks...but a brilliant protest...rubber ducks washing up on the shores all over the aegean for years to come...
MKDejan

Skopje, Macedonia

#3 Jan 22, 2011
for the last time - that is not garbage - there are plenty of useful things there (plenty of food and drinks as you can see and some domestic appliances and machines) - it is our contribution for the crisis our dearest neighbours experience , we decide to do that after the charity fest EU have started , we didn't want not to participate , - that is why the neighbours are here for.

Since: Mar 08

I like to screw pichkas!!!

#4 Jan 22, 2011
the ovchar wrote:
Perhaps a great floatilla of one million rubber ducks with a call out to the one million macedonians on both sides of the border would raise some heads...recognition for macedonia and macedonians - no more borders! would be the mantra!
Or simply...macedonia for the macedonians!
Would be a scary thought for the greeks...but a brilliant protest...rubber ducks washing up on the shores all over the aegean for years to come...
Where are the "1 million oppressed Makedonski"???? Do they not own computers? Do they not have access to internet cafes?

Why aren't any Fyromians from Greece posting on this forum?
http://m.topix.com/forum/world/macedonia/TPNA...

Clown!
eli

Markham, Canada

#5 Jan 22, 2011
GEOROX wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are the "1 million oppressed Makedonski"???? Do they not own computers? Do they not have access to internet cafes?
Why aren't any Fyromians from Greece posting on this forum?
http://m.topix.com/forum/world/macedonia/TPNA...
Clown!
The destitute and the oppressed can hit the road and join the rest of their wealthy compatriots back in scopjia. Simple Geo ROX.
eli

Markham, Canada

#6 Jan 22, 2011
MKDejan wrote:
for the last time - that is not garbage - there are plenty of useful things there (plenty of food and drinks as you can see and some domestic appliances and machines)- it is our contribution for the crisis our dearest neighbours experience , we decide to do that after the charity fest EU have started , we didn't want not to participate ,- that is why the neighbours are here for.
How about building dams, always a solution. Then I would like to see you make wisecracks.

Reality Sux

North Bay, Canada

#7 Jan 22, 2011
the ovchar wrote:
Perhaps a great floatilla of one million rubber ducks with a call out to the one million macedonians on both sides of the border would raise some heads...recognition for macedonia and macedonians - no more borders! would be the mantra!
Or simply...macedonia for the macedonians!
Would be a scary thought for the greeks...but a brilliant protest...rubber ducks washing up on the shores all over the aegean for years to come...
1 million Slavic Macedonians in Greece? Really? Is that why the political party that represents them gets only 7000 votes - mostly from the gay community? Why are they not on the streets protesting for their rights? Oh wait, because the 1.5 million Makedonians are real Makedonians - in other words Greek Makedonians...
Reality Sux

Stoney Creek, Canada

#8 Jan 22, 2011
Greece Sux
Greek Islander

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Jan 22, 2011
The FYROMslavians were taught by Tito for years that they have one or even two million fellow "ethnic" Slavic "Macedonians" in Greece yet in 2009 their "rainbow party" only got 4,530 votes in ALL of Greece!!! how pathetic! LOL
It's funny because it dosen't seem the FYROMslavians can ever get their story straight...some say the big bad Greeks genocided all the slavic speaking "ethnic" Macedonians in Greece, others say that there are still millions and millions of them being "repressed" in Greece. I guess it depends on what type of FYROMslavian propaganda they want to belive..Tito or Grueski.
The Ovchar

Holland Landing, Canada

#10 Jan 22, 2011
RELEASE THE DUCKS!!!!!
Reality Sux wrote:
<quoted text>
1 million Slavic Macedonians in Greece? Really? Is that why the political party that represents them gets only 7000 votes - mostly from the gay community? Why are they not on the streets protesting for their rights? Oh wait, because the 1.5 million Makedonians are real Makedonians - in other words Greek Makedonians...

Since: May 09

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Jan 22, 2011
Reality Sux wrote:
Perhaps Skopjes aren't brainwashed - it may just be the water they drink that affects them so negatively - it must take a toll on their intelligence.
No, they're brainwashed...just listen to them for a little.
eli

Markham, Canada

#12 Jan 22, 2011
Stelios wrote:
<quoted text>No, they're brainwashed...just listen to them for a little.
Even if one tries to be civil with these unfortunate souls, a little devil always get his tail in the way.
Reality Sux

Toronto, Canada

#13 Jan 23, 2011
Reality Sux wrote:
Greece Sux
How original, another FYRoMski stealing a Greek's name...

“"MAKEDONKA"”

Since: Jul 08

Bitola

#16 Jan 23, 2011
Why don’t you do something toward fixing your toxic waste before it kills you instead off worrying about Macedonia?

Greece - EU court rap for toxic waste
The time bomb created by the hundreds of thousands of tons of hazardous industrial waste that has for decades accumulated at various locations across Greece with virtually no measures to safeguard public health was officially condemned yesterday by the European Court of Justice (ECJ).
The ECJ's censure, which had been expected, paves the way once again for Greece's referral to the court and the possible imposition of a heavy fine. It follows years of fruitless efforts by the European Commission to spur the relevant Greek authorities to implement European legislation on waste disposal.
The three European directives on the issue stipulate precisely how industrial waste should be disposed, first of all to ensure that human life is not endangered. Greece, however, opted for «temporary storage» of its industrial waste, mainly in the yards of manufacturing plants.
As a result, the European Commission referred Greece to the ECJ because it deemed that «the planning for the management of hazardous waste in Greece fails to comply with the requirements of Community legislation.»
In its referral, the Commission points out that «there are no appropriate and adequate installations for the processing or disposal of hazardous waste» while adding that the method of disposal for most such waste produced in Greece is incompatible with EU law. The ECJ took the same view and condemned Greece for violating all three EU directives.
In its defense before the court, Greece acknowledged that the national plan for waste management «does not cover all types of hazardous waste» and «does not include maps showing the locations and facilities for the disposal of hazardous waste, so that their correct operation can be verified.»
The ECJ further accepted the Commission's charge that the appropriate infrastructure for the processing of hazardous waste has never been constructed in Greece.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles...

“"MAKEDONKA"”

Since: Jul 08

Bitola

#17 Jan 23, 2011
Greece tops EU corruption list
Despite a raft of reforms that have been implemented by the government over the past few months, including a crackdown on tax evasion and on graft in the public sector, Greece is still perceived as the most corrupt state in the 27-member European Union, according to this year’s corruption index published by Transparency International.
The index shows that Greece has fallen seven places to 78th out of the 180 countries surveyed, seven spots below the 71st place it shared last year with Bulgaria and Romania.
Greece, which now shares its ranking with China, Colombia, Peru, Serbia, Thailand and Lesotho, is seen as more corrupt than Rwanda, Botswana and Namibia.
The development comes just a few months after the government launched a campaign against corruption which, according to Prime Minister George Papandreou, had been instrumental in bringing about Greece’s debt crisis.
Transparency International’s corruption perception index is composed by the watchdog on the basis of data drawn from 13 different surveys conducted between January 2009 and September 2010.
Commenting on Greece’s slide to 78th place on the index, the president of Transparency’s Athens office, Costas Bakouris, said the government was giving the wrong message by pushing through deep-reaching reforms while offering an amnesty to tax offenders and seeking to legitimize thousands of properties that have been illegally built or extended.“The solution is to target citizens and businesses that have not fulfilled their obligations to the state and to punish them as an example,” Bakouris said.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles...

“"MAKEDONKA"”

Since: Jul 08

Bitola

#18 Jan 23, 2011
Fix you mess up before you point fingers Hell-ass!

If preparing to visit the land of the Hell-ass be prepared to see this;

Greece misses landfill deadline
With the debt-ridden government facing the prospect of daily multimillion-euro fines from Brussels following the expiration yesterday of a European Commission deadline for the demolition of about 250 makeshift landfills, the Ombudsman presented a report highlighting the shortfalls that have created Greece’s waste management problems and proposed possible solutions.
In his report, Ombudsman Giorgos Kaminis listed several shortcomings believed to have contributed to the current stalemate. These include problematic procedures for the allocation of sites for sanitary landfills – which are supposed to replace illegal dumps – and a lack of adherence to regulations for the protection of the environment. Kaminis also noted that in planning new facilities for waste management, authorities do not consider all the available alternatives and that the final decision is often taken based on political expediency. The watchdog also complained that fines are rarely imposed on municipal authorities for allowing illegal landfills to grow, noting that the authorities in question are usually excused due to the absence of sanitary landfills in their area. Kaminis stressed that greater emphasis should be given to recycling projects with the aim of drastically reducing the volume of trash going to landfills.
Earlier this week, the Interior and Environment ministries heralded a joint initiative to destroy the remaining illegal dumps and replace them with sanitary landfills. Ministry sources say mayors and regional leaders have been reluctant to take action due to local authority elections due in the fall. The construction of sanitary landfills is believed to be a sore point with local residents whose votes authorities are keen to secure.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles...

“"MAKEDONKA"”

Since: Jul 08

Bitola

#19 Jan 23, 2011
Fix you mess up before you point fingers Hell-ass!

If preparing to visit the land of the Hell-ass be prepared to see this;

Buses carrying hospital blood
Blood used for transfusions and surgery is being transported through central Greece by KTEL intercity buses as the state’s 500,000-euro annual contract with a courier firm expired last month and has not yet been renewed, it was revealed yesterday.
The unorthodox method of transportation came to light after an unclaimed cooler containing an unidentified quantity of blood was found at the KTEL intercity bus station in Larissa. The bags of blood had been left unclaimed at the station for 10 days. The director of the local hospital, Costas Karabatsas, has ordered an internal investigation.
Larissa Hospital operates a blood donation center and Karabatsas told Kathimerini that contributions are sent there from other parts of central Greece. Karabatsas said that the hospital has been using the buses to make up for the lack of a courier service. He said transporting the blood bags in coolers with dry ice is perfectly safe as the bus journeys rarely last 45 minutes and normally hospital staff are notified to pick up the shipments immediately.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles...
NorthernSteelers Fan

Pickering, Canada

#20 Jan 23, 2011
Rosetta stone wrote:
Why don’t you do something toward fixing your toxic waste before it kills you instead off worrying about Macedonia?
Greece - EU court rap for toxic waste
The time bomb created by the hundreds of thousands of tons of hazardous industrial waste that has for decades accumulated at various locations across Greece with virtually no measures to safeguard public health was officially condemned yesterday by the European Court of Justice (ECJ).
The ECJ's censure, which had been expected, paves the way once again for Greece's referral to the court and the possible imposition of a heavy fine. It follows years of fruitless efforts by the European Commission to spur the relevant Greek authorities to implement European legislation on waste disposal.
The three European directives on the issue stipulate precisely how industrial waste should be disposed, first of all to ensure that human life is not endangered. Greece, however, opted for «temporary storage» of its industrial waste, mainly in the yards of manufacturing plants.
As a result, the European Commission referred Greece to the ECJ because it deemed that «the planning for the management of hazardous waste in Greece fails to comply with the requirements of Community legislation.»
In its referral, the Commission points out that «there are no appropriate and adequate installations for the processing or disposal of hazardous waste» while adding that the method of disposal for most such waste produced in Greece is incompatible with EU law. The ECJ took the same view and condemned Greece for violating all three EU directives.
In its defense before the court, Greece acknowledged that the national plan for waste management «does not cover all types of hazardous waste» and «does not include maps showing the locations and facilities for the disposal of hazardous waste, so that their correct operation can be verified.»
The ECJ further accepted the Commission's charge that the appropriate infrastructure for the processing of hazardous waste has never been constructed in Greece.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles...
1. The worst toxic waste on this forum is you...
2. Why do you FYRoMskis always change the subject, when it is a negative story about your FYRoM?
3. Stick to the topic? Why do you pollute the river that your nation was originally named after (Vardaska) and not do anything about rectifying the situation?
eli

Markham, Canada

#21 Jan 23, 2011
The Ovchar wrote:
RELEASE THE DUCKS!!!!!
<quoted text>
Reaction to your comments, nothing more nothing less.

Recycling??? what is that???? and you have the audacity to gloat? YOUR wasted lives and garbage is floating in the poluted vardar river. Do not push your luck a DAM CAN BE BUILT.
eli

Markham, Canada

#22 Jan 23, 2011
The Ovchar wrote:
RELEASE THE DUCKS!!!!!
<quoted text>
The speech of Alexander I, when he was admitted to the Olympic games "Men of Athens...
Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Democracy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Greek election campaign underwhelms voters (Sep '15) Sep '15 Brit Knowitall - UK 1
News Greece's Syriza Set to Sweep Election in Anti-A... (Jan '15) Jan '15 jeffry 1
News Syriza Poised for Victory in Greek Election (Jan '15) Jan '15 good 1
News New Democracy looking to attract SYRIZA doubters (Jan '15) Jan '15 goldman sux 1
News Greece's bail-out: Not so fast (Oct '14) Oct '14 what 1
News Greece set to allow home foreclosures, risking ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 NICK 1
News Greek austerity destroys education (Apr '13) Apr '13 european2012 1
More from around the web