Stocks jump as Wall Street waits for ...

Stocks jump as Wall Street waits for winner

There are 81 comments on the USA Today story from Nov 6, 2012, titled Stocks jump as Wall Street waits for winner. In it, USA Today reports that:

Election uncertainty isn't gone yet, but investors seemed upbeat Tuesday. Major stock indexes were trading sharply higher than usual for an Election Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.

John from Texas

Quinlan, TX

#22 Nov 6, 2012
Vance1 wrote:
<quoted text>
whats forward to you "Total Communism?
Liberals hate communism. It doesn't work. Maybe in another 1000 years, but not now. You have been misinformed.
John from Texas

Quinlan, TX

#23 Nov 6, 2012
OK. Right now Romney is up 5 electoral votes.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#24 Nov 7, 2012
It's over with!! Thank God!!!
And the sun still rises in the east!!
All things considered, the people made their choice, and it's most likely the right one.
And guess what---the Dow is up 130 points this morning!!
The best thing that could happen now is for both sides to work together in the best interests of the country.
Will that happen?
We'll just have to wait and see.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#25 Nov 7, 2012
The market will crash as will our economy.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#26 Nov 7, 2012
Root wrote:
Wow!!
Lots of optomism there!(Nudge nudge, wink wink)
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#27 Nov 7, 2012
In spite of the doom and gloom prophetically predicted by our resident know-it-all Root, the stock market today (and going forward) is far more concerned about other things than the US presidential election results.

"NBC News, November 7, 2012:

Stocks opened lower on Wall Street following the presidential election, but this actually reflects dire warnings from Europe that a broad recession there is now all but certain.

Index futures had been higher early Wednesday but reversed course after the European Union slashed its growth forecast for next year, sending European stock markets sharply lower.

Investors now must come to grips with the reality of the economic "fiscal cliff" and the looming partisan showdown in Washington D.C. between Republican lawmakers and the re-elected President Barack Obama."

So Root---the current fiscal situation in the USA is one thing, but what happens in the rest of the world can have a far greater effect in USA than your thoughts about which President is at the helm.

It really doesn't matter which side of the fence you sit on.
If both parties can't agree on a prudent solution and stop the partisan bickering, your economy will feel the effects of a world wide recession whether you like your current president, or not.
And no matter who is the president, he has little or no control of that.
rfirma1

Burbank, CA

#28 Nov 7, 2012
election decided......economy and stock market go into the toilet.......thank you america!
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#29 Nov 7, 2012
To all the participants in this discussion, here are the cold hard facts of what your country faces regardless of which President you may have chosen....

You are undoubtedly aware of what is being called “the cliff.” The cliff will present itself at the end of this year. At that point, the Budget Control Act of 2011 will become effective. The act was a fallback measure in case Congress and the administration cannot agree on a mixture of spending restraint and tax increases.

The act mandates large cuts in government spending, spread equally between defence and non-defence budgets, and the expiration of the across-the-board tax cuts in place for some years.

If these measures are implemented, the deficit will shrink by about $470-billion, the equivalent of 4 per cent of GDP. Unemployment will rise to 9 per cent in 2013, GDP will decline and these measures together will probably be considered a recession.

If, on the other hand,the US avoids this “cliff,” and does not allow spending cuts or tax increases, the deficit will remain above $1-trillion, but unemployment will be 8 per cent instead of 9 per cent. The short-term shock to the economy will be attenuated, but the longer-term challenges will become more severe.

If the administration and Congress do nothing – if they stay on the current path, the debt-to-GDP ratio will be 90 per cent by 2020. This would clearly be dangerous for the long-term health of the country.

The first day after the election policy-makers will need – at some point – to adopt policies that will require people to pay significantly more in taxes, accept substantially less in government benefits and services, or both.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#30 Nov 7, 2012
Root wrote:
YES, Look today, The stock market is crashing already
we now will fall into a huge reccession
Root

Shreveport, LA

#31 Nov 7, 2012
Again the stock market will crash as will our economy. While not speaking for others, you didn’t say one thing that I didn’t know. Now hear this, Obama is bad for the USA, he is bad for the economy and he is bad for the world. Read it again and again and again.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#32 Nov 7, 2012
Root wrote:
Again the stock market will crash as will our economy. While not speaking for others, you didn’t say one thing that I didn’t know. Now hear this, Obama is bad for the USA, he is bad for the economy and he is bad for the world. Read it again and again and again.
No matter how often you rant about it.
It looks like you are a victim of the "Cassandra Syndrome".
It comes from looking at oneself in a mirror and seeing only what one wants to see.
Aka, a self fulfilling prophecy.

Since: Oct 09

Arvada, CO

#33 Nov 7, 2012
Proteus wrote:
It's over with!! Thank God!!!
And the sun still rises in the east!!
All things considered, the people made their choice, and it's most likely the right one.
And guess what---the Dow is up 130 points this morning!!
The best thing that could happen now is for both sides to work together in the best interests of the country.
Will that happen?
We'll just have to wait and see.
I think we have seen enough to know you are a fool!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#34 Nov 7, 2012
Proteus wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how often you rant about it.
It looks like you are a victim of the "Cassandra Syndrome".
It comes from looking at oneself in a mirror and seeing only what one wants to see.
Aka, a self fulfilling prophecy.
Looks like you are a victim of rambling on and on without providing the reasons you think barry is good.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#35 Nov 7, 2012
Root wrote:
<quoted text> Looks like you are a victim of rambling on and on without providing the reasons you think barry is good.
I didn't say anything of the sort.
All I said was that whoever was president will face the same challenges as before.
Little will change, regardless of the top guy as long as the house and senate remain deadlocked and obstructionist beyond reason.
The problem in your country exists because of extreme polarisation.
Both put party politics ahead of the country's best interests.
Typical US culture--shoot first and ask questions later.
Meanwhile, all is in good shape here in Canada.
Eat your hearts out.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#36 Nov 7, 2012
Melman68 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we have seen enough to know you are a fool!
I may be a fool,(in your opinion--which is meaningless) but at least where I live our economic future isn't on the rocks.
John from Texas

Quinlan, TX

#37 Nov 7, 2012
Vance1 wrote:
<quoted text>
YES, Look today, The stock market is crashing already
we now will fall into a huge reccession
Vance Your predictions have all been wrong. What makes you think this one will pan out? You might be right, but the point is you don't know. You still haven't started thinking yet. I admit there are a lot of good republicans and democrats. There are also a lot of bad on both sides. You seem to be so blinded by the brainwashing done to you, you can't think straight. I hope it all works out. I am not so happy that Obama won as I am happy that Romney lost. The republicans need to make better choices about who they put before the public. Mitt Romney was a joke!

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#39 Nov 8, 2012
Santa Claus ran and it's hard to beat Santa. One side gives presents and the other practices a platform in traditional American values, individual liberty, and limited government. The latter takes work and perseverance. Santa encompassed binders, big bird, free birth control, welfare and food stamps. Sadly the free stuff scenario resonated with voters. Regardless, the economy does not operate on free stuff, see the European Union.

The real question is can we pull out of this mess or have we lost the country? Mid terms will be an important vote. We must retain power in Congress and hopefully change the balance of power in the Senate. Further, we need to continue recruiting true conservatives and groom them to be ready to run against biased liberal media and get the message out to an oblivious electorate. This is much deeper than cars.
rfirma1

Burbank, CA

#40 Nov 8, 2012
Proteus wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be a fool,(in your opinion--which is meaningless) but at least where I live our economic future isn't on the rocks.
canada's economic future is only as good as the united state's future. don't kid yourself........85% of your economy is providing goods and services to the u.s.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#41 Nov 8, 2012
rfirma1 wrote:
<quoted text>
canada's economic future is only as good as the united state's future. don't kid yourself........85% of your economy is providing goods and services to the u.s.
Not any more my friend.
You are stuck in past illusions of greatness.
A recession in the US will have some effect, but there are equally large trading partners in the mix over here to keep us in the black China, India, to mention two of many choices.
Canada's economy is primarily resource based, and there are lots of customers for our resources out there.
Please note--this is not intended to be a condemnation of your country.
I was educated in the US and served as a Canadian volunteer in your military (Viet Nam-two tours), plus my brother (who went to the same US university as I did), remained there and has been a US citizen for over 40 years.
I have great respect for America and Americans.(Well, most Americans!)
That said, your country is in a precarious economic situation at this time.
That is primarily due to the cultural polarization which has evolved there over many years.
In spite of the anti Obama rhetoric we're hearing in this thread, your current situation isn't entirely his fault.
Unless that polarization can somehow be switched to compromise, your fiscal issue isn't going to improve soon.
Your country was built on compromise, but that philosophy has changed to confrontation and obstruction, and that will be your downfall if it doesn't change.
Basically, that's all I'm trying to say.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#42 Nov 8, 2012
JJFADS wrote:
Santa Claus ran and it's hard to beat Santa. One side gives presents and the other practices a platform in traditional American values, individual liberty, and limited government. The latter takes work and perseverance. Santa encompassed binders, big bird, free birth control, welfare and food stamps. Sadly the free stuff scenario resonated with voters. Regardless, the economy does not operate on free stuff, see the European Union.
The real question is can we pull out of this mess or have we lost the country? Mid terms will be an important vote. We must retain power in Congress and hopefully change the balance of power in the Senate. Further, we need to continue recruiting true conservatives and groom them to be ready to run against biased liberal media and get the message out to an oblivious electorate. This is much deeper than cars.
You have identified only a part of the problem.
Your solution however, doesn't quite fit the problems you've identified..
Your country's demographic mix and its culture have changed, whether you like it or not.
Neither you, nor your poiticos can reverse that trend.
Somehow your almost hopelessly polarized political system has to deal with this realistically, and not idealogically as you suggest.
What is needed is COMPROMISE---and lots of it.
If that doesn't happen, and soon, your country is in deep doodoo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xi Jinping Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News China warns people to shun practise of Islam, s... Sat wiser 8
News Proposal to expand role of China's armed police... Mar '16 SUPPRESS the PEOPLE 1
News What will it take to stop cycle of escalation i... Mar '16 Xstain Mullah Decree 3
News Negotiators grab head start on monumental clima... (Nov '15) Dec '15 goonsquad 21
News Vietnam Leader Calls on Xi to Not Militarize So... (Nov '15) Nov '15 QYTNATNGUGADEBHMO... 9
News China's Xi heads to Vietnam as anger brews over... (Nov '15) Nov '15 QYTNATNGUGADEBHMO... 9
News Ingredientsonline.com Announces It Has Signed M... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Dali Llama 1
More from around the web