Maldives May Relocate Due to Global W...

Maldives May Relocate Due to Global Warming

There are 13 comments on the www.findingdulcinea.com story from Nov 12, 2008, titled Maldives May Relocate Due to Global Warming. In it, www.findingdulcinea.com reports that:

Mohamed Nasheed, the island nation's new president, has announced a plan to buy a new homeland, just in case his sinking country completely disappears.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.findingdulcinea.com.

Paul

Lenni, PA

#1 Nov 12, 2008
What a wonderful thought... these people are literally driven from their only home as it sinks beneath the ocean so jerks can drive large cars... Good on ya GM... keep on trucking... I'll laugh when your company crumbles.
State of Reality

Lenni, PA

#2 Nov 12, 2008
Guess you were wrong, Michael Crichton. Global warming looks pretty real to me. Oh, wait, you're dead and can't hear me.
Jamjoom

Lenni, PA

#3 Nov 12, 2008
How sad for the Maldives. Just as they throw off a tenacious dictator they have to think about up and moving their country. Perhaps the Maldives and Nauru could join forces.
Brian

Lenni, PA

#4 Nov 12, 2008
It's sad that this has happened in our lifetime, but even without man-made global warming, this probably would've happened eventually anyway - we just accelerated the process. The earth doesn't just stay the same - look at what happened after the ice age.
buddy guy

United States

#5 Nov 12, 2008
As a gesture of goodwill and because they did, in fact, throw off that tenacious dictator, I think we should give them Alaska.
Janet

Portland, OR

#6 Nov 12, 2008
How nice that he can afford to buy a new homeland.
Skeptic Tank

Lenni, PA

#7 Nov 13, 2008
Seems like much ado over nothing. If the seas are rising only 7 inches every 100 years, and Maldives is 4.9 feet above sea level, it'll take almost 1,000 years for there to be any real problem. I applaud the new pres for planning ahead, but this story seems to be a bunch of hype. It's not like people are packing their bags today.
Mike

Lenni, PA

#8 Nov 13, 2008
That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard.
I think they got the idea from "Lost". Hey we have to move the island.
robin

Houston, TX

#9 Nov 13, 2008
i'd love to take a look at that press release.
A_Maldivian

Male, Maldives

#10 Nov 16, 2008
A 20cm rise in sea level has been recorded in the past century. Now, a land that consists of all coral and coral sand where land mass is on average 1.5metres above sea level, a 20cm rise should have eaten away 48% of the land. That is the percentage of land area less than 30cm above sea level. Fact is sea level rise is the side of the story which cooked up by scientists to help dictators get the sympathy vote and stay in power. The other side.(my side) The corals are programmed to beat the rising sea level. They will stay at the optimum depth for sunlight and nutrients, their dead skeletons will will be washed ashore by the sea.
Dvls Advct

West Columbia, SC

#11 Jan 8, 2009
I just read that there has only been a .03mm rise in sea level over the past 140 years. At this rate, they have about 1000 years to get off that island.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#12 May 6, 2011
[IMG]http://i230.photobucket.c om/albums/ee99/gangona84/Nader statt2.jpg[/IMG]

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#14 May 6, 2011

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maumoon Abdul Gayoom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brother of ex-strongman elected Maldives president (Nov '13) Nov '13 Papillon 1
News US concerned lawsuits may delay Maldives revote (Oct '13) Oct '13 Anna 1
News Former Maldives president: 'They have to finish... (Apr '13) Apr '13 ibrahim 1
News China behind scrapped GMR deal to extend footpr... (Dec '12) Dec '12 ramesh suresh 2
News Graft, politics, militant Islam shake the Maldives (Feb '12) Feb '12 yon 2
News Graft, politics, militant Islam shake Indian Oc... (Feb '12) Feb '12 yon 2
News Maldives overturns spa closures (Jan '12) Jan '12 george whyte 2
More from around the web