China begins construction of world's ...

China begins construction of world's longest cross-sea bridge

There are 133 comments on the Shanghai Daily story from Dec 15, 2009, titled China begins construction of world's longest cross-sea bridge. In it, Shanghai Daily reports that:

China today began construction of the world's longest cross-sea bridge linking its southern economic hub Guangdong Province to Hong Kong and Macao, a move widely expected to bring economic ties closer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Shanghai Daily.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

zhh

Since: Nov 09

Changsha, China

#1 Dec 15, 2009
Long live china!
Long live chinese!
Wong

Pasadena, CA

#2 Dec 15, 2009
Very soon, we Chinese will conquer planet!

zhh

Changsha, China

#4 Dec 15, 2009
Wong wrote:
most of our Zhongguoren(china) love peace,and hate war...

zhh

Changsha, China

#5 Dec 15, 2009
Wong wrote:
certainly except him
RayH

Guangzhou, China

#7 Dec 15, 2009
Cool project!
Wong

Pasadena, CA

#8 Dec 15, 2009
zhh wrote:
<quoted text>
most of our Zhongguoren(china) love peace,and hate war...
Not conquer by force, but with money! China produce many goods sold all over planet, and we make lots of money now!
I know you too well

Guangdong, China

#9 Dec 15, 2009
The new millennium belongs to China ! The rise of the Red Dragon.
RayH

Guangzhou, China

#10 Dec 15, 2009
Wong wrote:
<quoted text> Not conquer by force, but with money! China produce many goods sold all over planet, and we make lots of money now!
That's right, Chinese don't talk about war, but always talk about the economy. You don't see China stuck in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Wong

Pasadena, CA

#11 Dec 15, 2009
RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right, Chinese don't talk about war, but always talk about the economy. You don't see China stuck in Iraq or Afghanistan.
No war necessary. I hear that soon many Chinese investor start buying US real estate at low price, and one day own much of USA!
snowflake

San Francisco, CA

#12 Dec 15, 2009
China should focus on treating the Uyghurs and Tibetans better.
I know you too well

Guangdong, China

#13 Dec 15, 2009
snowflake wrote:
China should focus on treating the Uyghurs and Tibetans better.
China grants special rights to Uyghurs and Tibetans i.e. education preferences, religious rights etc , which she does not grant to the majority Chinese Hans.

China should grant equal rights to the Hans.
snowflake

San Francisco, CA

#14 Dec 15, 2009
How come the Tibetan and Uyghur dissidents in San Francisco and Berkeley said that they are treated as second class citizens in China and that the tibetans want the Dalia Lama back.
I know you too well

Guangdong, China

#15 Dec 15, 2009
snowflake wrote:
How come the Tibetan and Uyghur dissidents in San Francisco and Berkeley said that they are treated as second class citizens in China and that the tibetans want the Dalia Lama back.
Firstly, none of these exile leaders really care about their own people. They only want political power. Discrediting the current China government would only help them score political points with the rest of the world.

You need to know that the minorities are being treated with tender care by the China government.

The China government does not want to be accused of discriminating and accommodate these minorities by giving them special rights and privileges that other Chinese citizen are devoid of.

During the Urumqi the majority ethnic Han were all wondering why the Uyghurs rioted when they are given so much in e.ucation, religion etc/
I know you too well

Guangdong, China

#16 Dec 15, 2009
And historically, the Uyghurs are not even natives of Xinjiang. They are immigrants from Turkey.

The real native people of Xinjiang were the Xiongnus.They were defeated by Han China in 60BC. Thus the Hans ruled Xinjiang eversince.

The Uyghurs are getting a very good deal in china even they are not real natives of Xinjiang.

Since: Sep 08

Madison, WI

#18 Dec 15, 2009
Actually according to a post from a Chinese person in Beijing last year, they as a Chinese person can own a picture of the Dalai Lama; a Tibetan in Tibet definitely cannot own one (or if it gets found, they're in trouble).

Also, it's not true that only non-Han are exempt from One Child; many Han are exempt, like rural families, families where both parents are a single child, etc.

But any special privilege creates resentment; it's a matter of whether you trust that the government had a good reason for the special privilege or not. Like rural families, obviously they need more kids to work outside, etc.
I know you too well wrote:
<quoted text>
China grants special rights to Uyghurs and Tibetans i.e. education preferences, religious rights etc , which she does not grant to the majority Chinese Hans.
China should grant equal rights to the Hans.
RayH

Guangzhou, China

#19 Dec 15, 2009
I know you too well wrote:
And historically, the Uyghurs are not even natives of Xinjiang. They are immigrants from Turkey.
The real native people of Xinjiang were the Xiongnus.They were defeated by Han China in 60BC. Thus the Hans ruled Xinjiang eversince.
The Uyghurs are getting a very good deal in china even they are not real natives of Xinjiang.
Yes, the Han Chinese have been in Xinjiang since the Han dynasty over 2000 years ago. The Uyghurs actually came to Xinjiang from what is now Mongolia 1200 years ago during the Tang dynasty. So, they're late-comers in Xinjiang, long after Han people.

And yes, the Turkish people originated from the Altai Mountains in northern Xinjiang / Mongolia. China is the point of origin of many of the world's people--Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Thais, Hungarians, etc.
RayH

Guangzhou, China

#20 Dec 15, 2009
snowflake wrote:
You mean those Tibetan and Uyghur dissidents who are on the payroll of U.S. NED? And crying won't bring Hitler back.

The DaLIE Lama to return to Tibet to do what? Bring back the 14th century, slave-owning, feudal Theocracy in Old Tibet? He's going to be gone soon, in exile.

As for second class citizens, that would be the 35 % Americans who are of non-European descent, like the Chinese in your city.
RayH

Guangzhou, China

#21 Dec 15, 2009
Sile wrote:
Actually according to a post from a Chinese person in Beijing last year, they as a Chinese person can own a picture of the Dalai Lama; a Tibetan in Tibet definitely cannot own one (or if it gets found, they're in trouble).
Also, it's not true that only non-Han are exempt from One Child; many Han are exempt, like rural families, families where both parents are a single child, etc.
But any special privilege creates resentment; it's a matter of whether you trust that the government had a good reason for the special privilege or not. Like rural families, obviously they need more kids to work outside, etc.
<quoted text>
It's illegal to display a photo of Hitler or show Nazi paraphernalia in Germany, France, Poland, and many European countries. There are historical reasons for this, say prevention of resurgence of Fascism in Europe, etc.
RayH

Guangzhou, China

#22 Dec 15, 2009
So, why are they so scared of this old Austrian fellow? It's just a photo? You tell me.
Wong

Pasadena, CA

#23 Dec 15, 2009
RayH wrote:
So, why are they so scared of this old Austrian fellow? It's just a photo? You tell me.
Chinese rumor is that South American country sent DNA sample to China for cloning purposes. Only after DNA successfully replicated and sent back to South America country, did Chinese learn that the DNA sample was that of Adolph Hitler! Now fear that Hitler clone may grow up and start another Fourth Reich, and try to take over planet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Li Keqiang Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Slowing population growth suggests China can co... (Feb '15) Feb '15 RayH 1
News China offers ASEAN friendship treaty as South C... (Nov '14) Nov '14 ibu kartika 1
News New joust over sea dispute expected at ASEAN (Nov '14) Nov '14 excluded 10
News Pakistan-China trade can reach $15 bn: Gilani (Apr '12) Oct '14 MOMIN ANSARI 7
News Chinese premier to attend Europe summit, sign R... (Oct '14) Oct '14 RayH 1
News Merkel brings German business leaders to China (Jul '14) Jul '14 RayH 1
News China urges peaceful development of seas, says ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 RayH 1
More from around the web