Haiti candidates unfazed by Aristide'...

Haiti candidates unfazed by Aristide's return

There are 12 comments on the KLFY-TV Lafayette story from Mar 14, 2011, titled Haiti candidates unfazed by Aristide's return. In it, KLFY-TV Lafayette reports that:

Haiti's two presidential candidates on Monday dismissed concerns that the apparently imminent return of exiled former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide would disrupt the election, despite a U.S. State Department warning he could be a destabilizing presence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KLFY-TV Lafayette.

Doubting Thomas

New York, NY

#1 Mar 14, 2011
The ONLY reason Aristide is rushing to return to Haiti is to influence the upcoming elections. He and his local supporters hope to demonstrate his appeal and regain some power for his party. His delusional external supporters continue to rant about his being democratically elected and his right to return. NONE of them, including his greedy lawyer, will admit to his corruption, alleged involvement in the drug trade, his roving band of paid thugs that robbed and killed and so on. If he's such a great champion of the poor where is the proof that he did anything for them except to encourage them to attack citizens who had more. Aristide wasn't ousted by coup, but chased out by a coalition of dissatisfied citizens, including university students, who revolted against his insanity and his destructive influence on Haitian society. The romanticizing about who he is and what he represents is a clear and present danger to Haiti. He should be arrested the minute he lands in Haiti for high crimes against the state. Haiti has EVERYTHING to lose by accepting former dictators in its midst. Why has Preval allowed it? What is his end game? Benevolent he is not!
So Blessed

Lewisville, TX

#2 Mar 14, 2011
Well Aristide want to return to Haiti let Him because Hi forget already that hi is the one who draged Haiti to a trash, by leting his coalition runnig the country. Haiti knows about kidnappig and rapes, is when Aristide be came President. As a former priest you nerver heard him talk about peace, or even one day telling his thugs to stop distroying the country, or have respect for them self and the people of Haiti. That the reason the wanted him to comback. Because hi suport them in all the wrong doing. with the weapons the going to steel, and commet all the voilence.If he think this time him and his allies are not going to give Haiti and the people of Haiti,a chance to come out of this mud, of that misery GOD is going to juge him.
chantal

United States

#3 Mar 15, 2011
They should be concern this Aristide guy is trouble. He is not suppose to be there period.
chantal

United States

#4 Mar 15, 2011
All the guy be talking is violent make people believe on something he's not, that's BS. Tired to hear about him we need someone good for our country, yes that is what we need.
ins

Santa Clara, CA

#5 Mar 15, 2011
when it comes to stealing they all come back running.
robert

United States

#6 Mar 15, 2011
Now is not the time for this guy to return to haiti. this guy have cause to much trouble in haiti. When I think about it had this being a leader in of the top five country in the world, they would of arrested him long time ago because when are in position of leadership you have a responsibility to unite your people not devide. this is the type of leadership haiti have for the 20 years or more now. I think it time that haitian people to wake up now. Haiti need a leader a with vision, a uniter and some who can do what he says.I also feel that haiti leader must open haiti to world so people can go down to haiti to invest. haiti can afford to wait any longer for real changes. Haiti is so behind in development in all categories. I also think haitian people need to change there mentality too.
gene in haiti

Lake Station, IN

#7 Mar 16, 2011
Doubting Thomas wrote:
The ONLY reason Aristide is rushing to return to Haiti is to influence the upcoming elections. He and his local supporters hope to demonstrate his appeal and regain some power for his party. His delusional external supporters continue to rant about his being democratically elected and his right to return. NONE of them, including his greedy lawyer, will admit to his corruption, alleged involvement in the drug trade, his roving band of paid thugs that robbed and killed and so on. If he's such a great champion of the poor where is the proof that he did anything for them except to encourage them to attack citizens who had more. Aristide wasn't ousted by coup, but chased out by a coalition of dissatisfied citizens, including university students, who revolted against his insanity and his destructive influence on Haitian society. The romanticizing about who he is and what he represents is a clear and present danger to Haiti. He should be arrested the minute he lands in Haiti for high crimes against the state. Haiti has EVERYTHING to lose by accepting former dictators in its midst. Why has Preval allowed it? What is his end game? Benevolent he is not!
Amen brother - extremely well put
aristide was never a champion of anything except to rob from the citizens of the real haitii
Mic

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Mar 16, 2011
This ignorant knows nothing about what he is talking about, however he speaks so candidly one would think he has all the evidences either empiric or scientific at his finger tips. My friend do your research, speak only when you do have something to say, and even when you do, speak with moderation you'd sound a lot smarter.
Doubting Thomas

New York, NY

#9 Mar 16, 2011
Mic.....
Relax your sphincter muscle.I live in Haiti and the US and travel to Haiti every few months. I was an early supporter of Aristide's when others were reluctant because I bought into his "Liberation Theology" of redistributing wealth to the poor. I know Aristide up close and personal so I believe I'm correct in saying that whatever his original intentions, Aristide became corrupt and venal. You can cling to your belief that he's some messianic figure, but I assure you that soon after his return chaos will ensue. You see he can't help himself........his ego and venality have him believing his own best press clippings. If you're looking for God,or one of his earthly angels, you'd better look somewhere else.
robert

United States

#10 Mar 16, 2011
how could any one beleive in this guy.this guy was never a champion on anything except for devision and corruption. Haitian people need to wake up this guy is not a savior. Haitian people wake up dont you all think haiti deserve better then that. those leader that being in power in haiti for the past 40 years or so what have they done for haiti.Haiti is the poors country in the western hemisphere, we are at bottom of everything when comparing haiti to any other country in the western world. wake up people haitian people haiti need to reborn again. Let start a new chapter in haiti now.We can not afford any more liar any more. haiti need a movement were people are not going to except any more fail promises. let built a new haiti for future generation, so when they look back at our movement they can be proud of what haiti have yet been able to accomplish yet.
Soyette

Collegeville, PA

#11 Mar 16, 2011
Hi why don't you tell us what you know with all the empirical as well a scientific evidence of what you know, instead of insulting the other writer. The real problem is :haitian inability to have a dialogue without passion, a dialogue with respect for the other. It would have been very informative to read about your scientific point of view.
Thank you.
Mic wrote:
This ignorant knows nothing about what he is talking about, however he speaks so candidly one would think he has all the evidences either empiric or scientific at his finger tips. My friend do your research, speak only when you do have something to say, and even when you do, speak with moderation you'd sound a lot smarter.
Kevin Pina

Sunnyvale, CA

#12 Mar 27, 2011
Don't need to hide behind a phony name to tell you most of your disingenuous comments do not reflect reality where Aristide is concerned. I've heard most of these bogus arguments of self-righteous privilege before and I'm sure I'll hear them again. Anyone interested in a balanced perspective of the man would do well to take note that ALL of the comments on this page reflect the same stance. We all know what that means...

Of course, next come the insults, posturing and invectives that ultimately lead to threats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jean-Claude Duvalier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Baby Doc' shows up to court: A score for Haiti... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Chilliwest 2
News The U.S. Holds the Key to Duvalier Prosecution (Mar '13) Mar '13 Fortunate1 1
News 'Baby Doc' appears in Haiti court (Feb '13) Feb '13 chilliwest 1
News All Eyes in Haiti on Duvalier Hearing (Feb '13) Feb '13 africhaiti 3
News Ex-Haiti dictator 'Baby Doc' Duvalier due in co... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Chilliwest 2
News Haiti Bad Times for Baby Doc (Oct '11) Oct '11 Damien Marx 1
News Jean-Claude Duvalier taken to Haiti hospital af... (Mar '11) Sep '11 alamanderajokalet... 11
More from around the web