15 years after China takeover, Hong Kong uneasy

Jun 29, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Salt Lake Tribune

For thousands of Hong Kongers, this weekend's 15th anniversary of China's takeover of the semiautonomous territory isn't a moment to celebrate but a chance to air grievances from corruption scandals to human rights to a widening gap between rich and poor.

Comments
21 - 40 of 365 Comments Last updated Feb 4, 2013
RayH

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jun 30, 2012
 
GOOD ONE INDEED wrote:
So who is richer now; Hong Kong or Britain?
A-HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHA!
And what is the biggest British colony today? Bermuda, population 80,000.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jun 30, 2012
 
Commies SciFi wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich is not counted on the money but happiness and the way of life
Why people from "rich country" China love to flee from that rich country to the poor Britain or USA like you.
lol .......... LOL
If rich Chinese immigrate to U.K., they'd get taxed to death.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jun 30, 2012
 
Chinese wrote:
15 years of the return of pride for the Chinese people all over the world.
The properity of Hong Kong not only maintained but increased significantly. The prediction of the Colonialist, Imperialist, and reactionaries proved to be totally wrong, they are deeply dissapointed.
The great Motherland has protected Hong Kong from foreign conquest for 15 years. Hong Kong People except the few with erratic mind are now happy and high spirited. Gone for good the subjugation of Hong Kong People by foreign power. Gone for good the embarasment of the whole Chinese race.
Long Live the People's Republic of China !
Long Live the Chinese People !
Long Live the People of Hong Kong !
Um, that is incorrect.

HK people want nothing to do with Communist Party madness.

The sooner the Party evaporates, the better.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jun 30, 2012
 
Communist Party, KEEP OUT.

HK people want nothing from you except your early retirement.
Commies SciFi

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jul 1, 2012
 
RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
If rich Chinese immigrate to U.K., they'd get taxed to death.
No tax in China ?

What an idiot you are.
bill

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jul 1, 2012
 
At the swearing-in ceremony, Mr Hu offered "warm congratulations" to Mr Leung and his team and described the 15th anniversary as a "joyous occasion".

He reiterated Beijing's commitment to the "one country, two systems" policy whereby Hong Kongers are allowed many more political freedoms than Chinese people in the mainland.

Not many Hong Kongers were happy to join in the celebrations...
A lone heckler stood and shouted at the Chinese president during the speech, referring to the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, but he was quickly bundled out of the harbourfront building.

Protest due

The ceremony took place under tight security.

The BBC's Juliana Liu, in Hong Kong, says Mr Hu's visit has been carefully choreographed.

But on Saturday police had to shield the president from demonstrators, and officers used pepper spray to disperse crowds who were demanding an investigation into the death in China of a Tiananmen activist, Li Wangyang, earlier this year.

...others saw fit to vent their anger at the visiting Chinese leader
It is a far cry from Mr Hu's last visit five years ago, when he toured Hong Kong in a blaze of pre-Olympic glory, says our correspondent.

His visit comes as public confidence in the Beijing government has fallen to a new low.

People are unhappy with record property prices, an increasing wealth gap, a lack of democracy and a string of political scandals.

An annual protest in support of human rights is due to take place later, with tens of thousands expected to attend.

Hong Kong, a British colony until 1997, has a comparatively high degree of autonomy from Beijing.

But China's leaders in Beijing have resisted public pressure for full democracy in the city.
bill

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jul 1, 2012
 
HK is in a no win situation, we feel sorry for their predicament
RayH

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jul 1, 2012
 
bill wrote:
HK is in a no win situation, we feel sorry for their predicament
Per capita GDP in Hong Kong last year was US$ 34,000. Taiwan was US$ 20,000. You're sorry alright.
lct

Beijing, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jul 1, 2012
 
a lot of sour grapes here.
eagle eyes

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jul 1, 2012
 
RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
If rich Chinese immigrate to U.K., they'd get taxed to death.
Dude, the more you talk the stupider you sound. First of all, the social welfare (produced by tax) in western countries are far better that in China. Just look around what you have over there: dirty and poor equipped hospitals, dirty streets, dirty metros, rip-off public education systems, etc., etc. Secondly, in western countries, there is a thing called tax return while in China, the government plunders from employees' paychecks. Finally, rich Chinese, especially rich commie officials, all have foreign accounts in western countries. Don't pretend you've not heard about this.
RayH

Guangzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jul 1, 2012
 
eagle eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, the more you talk the stupider you sound. First of all, the social welfare (produced by tax) in western countries are far better that in China. Just look around what you have over there: dirty and poor equipped hospitals, dirty streets, dirty metros, rip-off public education systems, etc., etc. Secondly, in western countries, there is a thing called tax return while in China, the government plunders from employees' paychecks. Finally, rich Chinese, especially rich commie officials, all have foreign accounts in western countries. Don't pretend you've not heard about this.
So, explain to me why China's rapidly rising, while you're going down?
RayH

Guangzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jul 1, 2012
 
eagle eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, the more you talk the stupider you sound. First of all, the social welfare (produced by tax) in western countries are far better that in China. Just look around what you have over there: dirty and poor equipped hospitals, dirty streets, dirty metros, rip-off public education systems, etc., etc. Secondly, in western countries, there is a thing called tax return while in China, the government plunders from employees' paychecks. Finally, rich Chinese, especially rich commie officials, all have foreign accounts in western countries. Don't pretend you've not heard about this.
And I assure you that the metros in China are a LOT cleaner than that joke of a metro in New York City.
RayH

Guangzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jul 1, 2012
 
And don't tell me about the "welfare" in the West. Remember the EU debt crisis? You'd be lucky to have money to pay for that.
Commies SciFi

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jul 1, 2012
 
Hi Red-Hole

Please do not amuse the readers, loot at Ai Wei Wei tax hearing and Ai Weiwei 'barred' from tax hearing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18...

China laws are a bunch of jokes
Commies SciFi

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jul 1, 2012
 
And Hongkongers welcome Hu Jintao in HK http://youtu.be/t6NCf-GxlbI
WRITINGS ON THE WALL

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jul 1, 2012
 
Why is the West (and everyone else too)so obsessed with China these days?

Their new world leader.
Commies SciFi

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jul 1, 2012
 
China world leader for best foods http://youtu.be/XEW4d0aYHs4
Snowflake

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Jul 1, 2012
 
China might be on a roll now but you have seen nothing yet, wait till we get out of the Iraq crisis, Afghan crisis, Syrian and Iran crises we will go right back to the top and leave China in the dust.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jul 1, 2012
 
Snowflake wrote:
China might be on a roll now but you have seen nothing yet, wait till we get out of the Iraq crisis, Afghan crisis, Syrian and Iran crises we will go right back to the top and leave China in the dust.
Assuming you get out.
Commies SciFi

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Jul 1, 2012
 
RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming you get out.
Good response. Can you please shout loud to Gook Hu Jintao that "We want to kick all westerners and investors out of our Superior China we do not need them"

Then you guys eat more these http://youtu.be/ctdUsFg-aMI

What ever, its foods for survival.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hu Jintao Discussions

Search the Hu Jintao Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Uganda destined for middle income status - PM... Jul 15 its good 2
China, Kazakhstan upgrade relationship (Jun '11) Jul 15 anonimous 12
Corruption crackdown snares former Chinese general Jul 1 New China 1
Toyota is not American-Oriental Defect (Aug '10) Jun '14 Advice 341
Critics fear Canada getting cold feet over trad... Apr '14 PAUL SHYKORA arts 4
Pakistan, China move closer in N-embrace (Jul '10) Feb '14 MOMIN ANSARI 19
Google Tips Off Users in China (Jun '12) Jan '14 Tong Lee 29
•••
•••