A House Divided: Ethnicity and Securi...

A House Divided: Ethnicity and Security in Guyana

There are 25 comments on the Stabroek News story from Apr 30, 2009, titled A House Divided: Ethnicity and Security in Guyana. In it, Stabroek News reports that:

The Report on Promotion and Protection of All Human Rights, Civil, Political, Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, Including the Right to Development by the United Nations Expert on Minority Issues has ignited a firestorm of controversy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stabroek News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Veronica

Níjar, Spain

#1 May 13, 2009
We all have experienced a PNC regime in which having a PNC membership card was needed to obtain a job. There were discrimination against Indians and persons who looked Indian or had an Indian Suriname.

Under the present PPP regime persons of African descent are experiencing discrimination.

Questions
What type of government would enjoy the trust of the majority of this nation?

What type of government could banish discrimination out of this society?

Anyone have any ideas?
tyron

Georgetown, Guyana

#2 May 13, 2009
Veronica wrote:
We all have experienced a PNC regime in which having a PNC membership card was needed to obtain a job. There were discrimination against Indians and persons who looked Indian or had an Indian Suriname.
They killed a few of them too……..
tyron

Georgetown, Guyana

#3 May 13, 2009
Veronica wrote:
Under the present PPP regime persons of African descent are experiencing discrimination.
Father of this Nation, upon his acquisition to office in 1992, said that Guyana belongs to Guyanese and that he would not punish anyone for their choices by depriving them of their jobs, and that there would be no witch-hunting by his Party of bureaucrats who had served the former administration.

Never has this administration discriminated against anyone. In the political arena opposition parities would always assume discrimination in the fight to demean the ruling Govt.
tyron

Georgetown, Guyana

#4 May 13, 2009
Another hallmark of this administration is the bonding with every citizen of this nation with equal measurements of respect and caring, regardless of their financial, ethnic or social status.

The PPP Govt. has led in the struggle to extinguish discrimination in Guyana.
Pilot 102

Watchung, NJ

#5 May 13, 2009
Veronica wrote:
We all have experienced a PNC regime in which having a PNC membership card was needed to obtain a job. There were discrimination against Indians and persons who looked Indian or had an Indian Suriname.
Under the present PPP regime persons of African descent are experiencing discrimination.
Questions
What type of government would enjoy the trust of the majority of this nation?
What type of government could banish discrimination out of this society?
Anyone have any ideas?
V, not every one needed a PNC card to get a job. Due to the large number of indians in my family on my father's side,my mom who was a Gov offical got jobs for many of them and also many ppp members in and around my village.Up to this day many of them of then would often check her out to say thanks.As my mom would say help someone along the way,and don't play the race game, life is too short. Very smart old lady.
Veronica

Níjar, Spain

#6 May 13, 2009
Pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text>V, not every one needed a PNC card to get a job. Due to the large number of indians in my family on my father's side,my mom who was a Gov offical got jobs for many of them and also many ppp members in and around my village.Up to this day many of them of then would often check her out to say thanks.As my mom would say help someone along the way,and don't play the race game, life is too short. Very smart old lady.
Thanks for the confirmation as you said: "not everybody needed a card" thus for some a card was necessary others did not need a card because they knew "somebody". Tell me there is a difference here. That was then. How is it now?

Your mother was not smart, she was/ is intelligent.
Veronica

Níjar, Spain

#7 May 13, 2009
tyron wrote:
<quoted text>Father of this Nation, upon his acquisition to office in 1992, said that Guyana belongs to Guyanese and that he would not punish anyone for their choices by depriving them of their jobs, and that there would be no witch-hunting by his Party of bureaucrats who had served the former administration.
Never has this administration discriminated against anyone. In the political arena opposition parities would always assume discrimination in the fight to demean the ruling Govt.
The father of the nation is dead. What are his children up to?
Do you know the story about the little boy who cried wolf too many times, that when the wolf did arrive no one in the village believed him?
Veronica

Níjar, Spain

#8 May 13, 2009
tyron wrote:
Another hallmark of this administration is the bonding with every citizen of this nation with equal measurements of respect and caring, regardless of their financial, ethnic or social status.
The PPP Govt. has led in the struggle to extinguish discrimination in Guyana.
Highly commendable indeed.

Tell me why this same administration with such lofty aspirations thrashed the Mac Dougall report?

Why did they not expressed their shock and indignation that under their watch members of society suffer under elements stated in the report and with all haste undertake steps to eradicate this "feeling" of discrimination, victimization etc?

Did this administration not put its own vanity "above" members of society? Is this not a giant mistake?

Where is the proof of the "caring", the "bonding" when a deaf ear is turned to voices of some members of society.

Tyron you can not whitewash this.
Pilot 102

Watchung, NJ

#9 May 13, 2009
Veronica wrote:
<quoted text>Highly commendable indeed.
Tell me why this same administration with such lofty aspirations thrashed the Mac Dougall report?
Why did they not expressed their shock and indignation that under their watch members of society suffer under elements stated in the report and with all haste undertake steps to eradicate this "feeling" of discrimination, victimization etc?
Did this administration not put its own vanity "above" members of society? Is this not a giant mistake?
Where is the proof of the "caring", the "bonding" when a deaf ear is turned to voices of some members of society.
Tyron you can not whitewash this.
V,Tyron is just another follower with blinders on. Have you ever read a comment from him saying he is not in agreement with the Gov/PPP on something they said or do.
tyron

Georgetown, Guyana

#10 May 14, 2009
Veronica wrote:
<quoted text>The father of the nation is dead. What are his children up to?
Do you know the story about the little boy who cried wolf too many times, that when the wolf did arrive no one in the village believed him?
Things have changed since the time last when you were here. No one is being deprived of anything!
tyron

Georgetown, Guyana

#11 May 14, 2009
Veronica wrote:
<quoted text>Highly commendable indeed.
Tell me why this same administration with such lofty aspirations thrashed the Mac Dougall report?
Why did they not expressed their shock and indignation that under their watch members of society suffer under elements stated in the report and with all haste undertake steps to eradicate this "feeling" of discrimination, victimization etc?
Did this administration not put its own vanity "above" members of society? Is this not a giant mistake?
Where is the proof of the "caring", the "bonding" when a deaf ear is turned to voices of some members of society.
Tyron you can not whitewash this.
That’s how good the PNC propaganda is! They are the ones mitigating this entire scenario of persons being discriminated due to their ethnicity. Ask them to show us the discrimination-until now we still waiting………

The McDougal report was flawed in its methodology and several indications were misleading…..that making the entire report flawed!
tyron

Georgetown, Guyana

#12 May 14, 2009
Pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text>V,Tyron is just another follower with blinders on. Have you ever read a comment from him saying he is not in agreement with the Gov/PPP on something they said or do.
Because there is too many of you that post the negatives; that making me feel compelled to highlight the positives. If you were to be balanced and “give jack he jacket” when due then I would probably share my displeasures.
But yall can’t be bambassing all de time and expect me come and back you up.
Veronica

Madrid, Spain

#13 May 14, 2009
tyron wrote:
<quoted text>That’s how good the PNC propaganda is! They are the ones mitigating this entire scenario of persons being discriminated due to their ethnicity. Ask them to show us the discrimination-until now we still waiting………
The McDougal report was flawed in its methodology and several indications were misleading…..that making the entire report flawed!
Tyron use your brains.

Once upon a time there was a race to see who could circle the universe the fastest, well poor Ganapati knew riding a mouse will not get him far, he decided not to race His father said to him: "child use your brains". You see all he had to do was to circle his parents, and he did.

No matter whats in the report, how it is compiled, whether you believe in it or not. Is not important, what is important is the leverage it carries.

PPP should say although we are not in agreement with the contents of this report, we deem it necessary to launch an investigation for it must bear absolutely no semblance to the truth. None whatsoever for no citizen must live with these sentiments at the back of his/ her mind.

Truly PPP do not know how to play politics.
Veronica

Madrid, Spain

#14 May 14, 2009
tyron wrote:
<quoted text>Because there is too many of you that post the negatives; that making me feel compelled to highlight the positives. If you were to be balanced and “give jack he jacket” when due then I would probably share my displeasures.
But yall can’t be bambassing all de time and expect me come and back you up.
I know this position very well.
Pilot 102

Watchung, NJ

#15 May 14, 2009
tyron wrote:
<quoted text>Because there is too many of you that post the negatives; that making me feel compelled to highlight the positives. If you were to be balanced and “give jack he jacket” when due then I would probably share my displeasures.
But yall can’t be bambassing all de time and expect me come and back you up.
Pal, i don't need back up from you or any one on this forum.When i am wrong i would be the first to say so. Again if you agree with what i have to say that's ok, if you dont that's also ok.I support on political party in Guyana, so i don't have to make excuses for them.
tyron

Georgetown, Guyana

#16 May 15, 2009
Veronica wrote:
<quoted text>Tyron use your brains.
Once upon a time there was a race to see who could circle the universe the fastest, well poor Ganapati knew riding a mouse will not get him far, he decided not to race His father said to him: "child use your brains". You see all he had to do was to circle his parents, and he did.
No matter whats in the report, how it is compiled, whether you believe in it or not. Is not important, what is important is the leverage it carries.
PPP should say although we are not in agreement with the contents of this report, we deem it necessary to launch an investigation for it must bear absolutely no semblance to the truth. None whatsoever for no citizen must live with these sentiments at the back of his/ her mind.
Truly PPP do not know how to play politics.
Noting the persons that she spoke to to gather her information there is no need to investigate anything since it is clear that those persons who McDougal conversed with are acknowledged discriminators of the ruling party and Govt.

So what you expect them to say!?
tyron

Georgetown, Guyana

#17 May 15, 2009
Pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text>Pal, i don't need back up from you or any one on this forum.When i am wrong i would be the first to say so. Again if you agree with what i have to say that's ok, if you dont that's also ok.I support on political party in Guyana, so i don't have to make excuses for them.
Well at least give recognition to their achievements stop throwing stones all de time nah…..
Veronica

Madrid, Spain

#18 May 15, 2009
tyron wrote:
<quoted text>Noting the persons that she spoke to to gather her information there is no need to investigate anything since it is clear that those persons who McDougal conversed with are acknowledged discriminators of the ruling party and Govt.
So what you expect them to say!?
Let me spell it out for you in a nutshell.
A) some of those interviewed by Mac Dougal are supporters of the opposition.
These same supporters were unable to give proof of discrimination however they felt that they were discriminated in some instances. Note here they did not fabricate a downright lie and scream "we are being discriminated". Although they are not favourable to this administration they remained courteous.(you must grant them this). They also feel stigmatised which is quite logical due to a few rotten elements.(Is this a downright lie?)

B) If this administration is serious about being the administration for all Guyanese, they are automatically obligated to take these feelings seriously. Going to this same neighbourhood and asking the same questions also what type of measurements are deemed necessary by these persons to feel secure in our society, is to this administration advantage. The administration had heeded the voice of a segment of our society even though that segment is the opposition stronghold. This regime proves every Guyanese voice is heard not just its supporters.

C) The Indians are afraid of being discriminated if/ when there is a PNC administration. Is this part true or false? Did this administration pay any heed here or did they just waltz over it. I presume this is not important and you know why it is not important because when these persons leave office within a few years time they will either leave the country or simply have a second home elsewhere. So they do not care about you, the man in the street.

Tell me Tyron when the PPP finds its self once more in the opposition, your voice must not be heeded by the then present regime, after all you are not one of their supporters.

Am I to understand this is Guyanese politics?
Veronica

Oakland, CA

#19 May 15, 2009
Pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text>V,Tyron is just another follower with blinders on. Have you ever read a comment from him saying he is not in agreement with the Gov/PPP on something they said or do.
We are all in recognition of the gigantic challenges this regime has had to face and are currently facing. We applaud them.
I understand the need to highlight their progress, but hell we must also criticize.

I understand Tyron&#347; position, but there are times when he strikes me as being a parrot. He is intelligent, allows his emotions to get in the way sometimes. He do not know how to play "devils advocate"
Misty

Woodside, NY

#20 May 15, 2009
Veronica, you are blabbering too much, you need to come and live in Guyana and observe what this administration have done for ALL the people in Guyana. In fact, even where you are living there have been CRIES of discrimination and prejudices. The McDougall's report was very much skewed without any adequate evidences to generalize the status of discrimnation among these subjects that were interviewed. There was no fairness in the population that was chosen at random, and furthermore, Ms McDougall failed to do a proper reseach into the choices she made. The fact is that the investigation should have been based on samples from various demographics and not selective few. This was by all means a terrible report which was meant to be derogative. The President was right to be angry about how this was conducted. This lady, McDougall was really stupid, she lacked relevant knowledge of the real objectives of experimental research. Her report was confounded by her inability to make observations,(through ethical standards), She does not understand proper statistical analysis. Her report was totally balderdash. She needs to go back to school and be trained rigorously, before she should embark on these studies.
Everybody or everyone is discriminated, this is an ongoing problem, Not only indians and blacks in Guyana. People will always complain about discrimination, no man powers in this world can solve this problem, Blacks in Africa discriminate against their own, why make it a big issue in Guyana. The PPP/Civic are doing are great job for this country. I visit there numerous times, and there are many happy about the way things are, Ther are Blacks who complimented Jagdeo for his leadership and the way the country is doing. But in every country there are people who will complain. the reason there is opposition , we have to agree and disagree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bharrat Jagdeo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GUYANA: Govt Complicity With Drug Ring Aired in... (Aug '09) Aug '15 EMBELLISHED 7
News Jagdeo says opposition to Amaila hydro project ... (Oct '14) Mar '15 glen lall 2
News Guyana wants police probe of hacked emails (Oct '14) Oct '14 the inspector 2
News Guyanese immigrants must be treated with respec... (Jun '09) Sep '14 Blodewedd 31
News Over 130,000 school uniform vouchers released (Aug '10) Jun '14 Woodie54 15
News guyana govt cocaine delegation in suriname (Sep '13) Feb '14 embellished 2
News How to build an inspiring 2014 (Jan '14) Jan '14 Tracy 1
More from around the web