Algeria prepares for day of protests

Algeria prepares for day of protests

There are 17 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Feb 11, 2011, titled Algeria prepares for day of protests. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

Algeria , the oil-rich, military-dominated north African state, is braced for a day of pro-democracy protests, despite a ban on demonstrations in the capital, Algiers, and a large security presence intent on containing any uprising inspired by Egypt or Tunisia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

karim

Cinderford, UK

#1 Feb 11, 2011
Peacefully please and freedom to all algerians . time of hogra is all over and hope is coming and it is time to algeria to go back to it's amazigh orrigine the arab blue print of life has failed ..freedom..freedom...
ali

Eugene, OR

#2 Feb 11, 2011
RCD does not represent the algerian peopple, actually it is made to devide algeria, to satisfy what France coul not do.
karim

Cinderford, UK

#3 Feb 11, 2011
I am a free berber man not an RCD suporter my blood the history of my people tells me that we are nothing like this regimes who kills your brain your heart ,history,pride,dignite,freedom of thinking .. They like slavery,aabide ,djaouari,..you know what I mean...
omar setif

Edinburgh, UK

#4 Feb 11, 2011
arab or berber we are all in the same path ,we want freedom and dignity ,peeceful demonstration please ,they could get the message sooner than moubarak did,all we want is to feel like respected citizens ,is that toooooooo much to ask?
karim

Cinderford, UK

#5 Feb 11, 2011
Omar stif. I agree with you peaceffuly please
Aicha

Albemarle, NC

#6 Feb 11, 2011
Im very proud, finally the arab world spoke,I hope algerian people do the same thing PEACEFULLY,
I want algeria to be free again from SARKA, HOGRA, CHOMAGE, RACHWA, MA3RIFA,LIBERTY TO SPEAK,KOUF....
AND ALL KIND OF NEGATIF FEELING.
zouhir

Carmichael, CA

#7 Feb 11, 2011
Where all the algerian money goes to? Algeria is a rich country with all its ressources: oil, natural gaz we could be living like the people in the U.S or Europe but those people have freedom and democracy.
We all are asking for is freedom and democracy, tomorrow saturday 02/12/2011 is gonna be in history, riots are going to be peacefuly till the regime steps down, Go algerian ALA BARAKATI ALLAH, we will get support from the media all over the world aljazeera and cnn will back up, the internet will be our communication platform Peace and Freedom to all algerians, Morocco will be next algerian will show trhen the path.(Love Algeria and Morocco)
saleh-eddine

Calabasas, CA

#8 Feb 11, 2011
people need to be more specific. freedom is vague and many promised it in the past and delivered very little. our war of independance heroes to start with. they betrayed the country and its people through their wreckless ignorance. they were too eager to push the french away so that they could take their place without much regard for the aspiration of the vast majority... still subdued by years of colonialism. i believe that this is the opportunity of the century for algeria, the arab world and the muslim world at large. they all suffer from the same ills. the winds of liberation is finally blowing in that part of the world. it's time that we set sail and harness this wind... and i agree peacefully please. that was the lesson in both tunisia and egypt. let's be good students.
freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the legal system, freedom from the police state and army state, freedom from the pseudo heroes of the war of independce... enough of them, we've seen how incompetent they have been.
algerians, why shall we ask for a loaf of bread when we could have the whole store? let's think bigger this time, let's make it happen!
karim

Cinderford, UK

#9 Feb 11, 2011
Change will happen today or tomorrow and all the lies we have been told is dead for ever the truth will come out soon .the human race is like never before .matoub in his words was write god bless him .peace and love to all algerians
ramila mohand said

Watford, UK

#10 Feb 12, 2011
karim wrote:
Peacefully please and freedom to all algerians . time of hogra is all over and hope is coming and it is time to algeria to go back to it's amazigh orrigine the arab blue print of life has failed ..freedom..freedom...
Allah yahdik ya lekbayli, The Arabs my fellow citizen have freed you from misery, illiteracy,pauverty and slavery. The Arabs mon cher ami, brought to north africa Islam, civilisation, knowledge, The holly quoran inorder to enlight the darkness which ur encestars used to live in. wake up and smell the fresh air of freedom which has started from a small town in tunisia where the martyre inchaallah Bouazizi has set fire to himself, now it's in tahrir square in caro, tomorrow with the help of Allah will be somewhere else where othere people are oppressed. fik rohek ya lekbayli, I am amazigh, but proud to call myself an Arab, eat urself out.
Algerian

Mcallen, TX

#11 Feb 12, 2011
Salam,
First let's make one point clear,Algeria will never be divided.and he who think that they can do so is deadly wrong,there are only Algerians in Algeria,getting rid of the corrupt regime should be our only target,in order to thrive one nation need first of all stability, honest and dedicated people with a clear vision.
Second important thing is we have to have respect each other,being different should work in our advantage and not against it.let's just think for a moment if we were all thinking the same?got the picture?.
Last but not least,enough of this talk regarding who owns Algeria.it belongs to GOD,and all AGERIANS are guests in this land.
Salam.
karim

UK

#12 Feb 12, 2011
Race is never a choice and thakvaily I am proud .my dear if you think arabs have give us something it is only totalisme slavery and djaouri and aabid discrimination hell and panichement .relgion is a choice and I choise to be free .don't get me wrong I am not a racist a just express my self as man who is realistic and would like his contry to be free .

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#13 Feb 12, 2011
karim wrote:
Race is never a choice and thakvaily I am proud .my dear if you think arabs have give us something it is only totalisme slavery and djaouri and aabid discrimination hell and panichement .relgion is a choice and I choise to be free .don't get me wrong I am not a racist a just express my self as man who is realistic and would like his contry to be free .
Im mixed arab-berber we all the same. There is no pure arab and no pure berber. Anyway for algeria, im really skeptical and pessimistic about the revolution to work. Because algeria is ruled by the army unlike egypt and tunisia
Aicha

Albemarle, NC

#14 Feb 13, 2011
Did you see the "racism" that's what the system want, he wants to put us in a war between arab and amazig, and this make us busy so we forget about the subject.
you start with freedom and liberty and country and when you start discussion about race you forget about Algeria.
If you want Algeria get ride of the system, we have to start with our self first, we have to think only that we are all share the same country the same love,we are brother and sister,amazig or arab, muslim or christian.
the war in Egypt win because they forget about all the difference and put their country the first and onle priority.
Europe our ground

Shanghai, China

#15 Nov 16, 2011
I m French. a real one not an immigrant. From a place next to Switzerland.
build a prosperous country.
Build roads, run industries, export products, hunt the corruption, tell it to the authorities without they know it's you who snitched, build tunnels, decorated your houses, run pretty hotels, run playing cards houses, open more bibliotheques, run leisure clubs, horse riding, montain bikes competitions... and so on.
Don't expect your government to do anything for you.
Make it a great place by yourself. Then the government of your dream will come.
Then you won't be willing to come live by us. Many of you are brave and like algeria and live in algeria.
Europe our ground

Shanghai, China

#16 Nov 16, 2011
Better post
I m French. a real one not an immigrant. From a place next to Switzerland.
build a prosperous country.
Build roads, run industries, export products, hunt the corruption, tell it to the authorities without they know it's you who snitched, build tunnels, decorated your houses, run pretty hotels, run playing cards houses, open more libraries, run leisure clubs, horse riding, mountain bikes competitions, scuba diving clubs, desert hiking tours trip... and so on.
Make your place a vivid and warm destination. Hunt down the criminals, when you are sure they kill for no reasons. Donít close a blind eye on what you see. Report to the authorities without saying your name. send leters without your name on it if you see someone corrupted or something.
Don't expect your government to do everything for you.
Make it a great place by yourself. Then the government of your dream will come. You got the government you deserve.
Then you won't be willing to come live by us. Many of you are brave and like Algeria and live in Algeria.
karim

UK

#17 Nov 20, 2011
What the hell it s had to do with you french frog.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abdelaziz Bouteflika Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Serbian and Algerian presidents to exchange dec... (May '16) May '16 amc 1
News Building the world's tallest minaret (Jan '15) Feb '15 tom_ 21
News Report: Corruption in Algeria is pervasive (Sep '12) Nov '14 Faith 4
News Algeria Is A Reminder That Even Friendly Dictat... (Apr '14) Jul '14 Faith 48
News Why dictators hold elections: Abdel Fattah al-S... (May '14) May '14 Faith 7
News Algeria: Arrests at Protest Against President (May '14) May '14 Faith 2
News Algerian police halt opposition march against B... (Mar '14) Apr '14 Faith 4