Dog breeders growling over canine proposal

Full story: Lowell Sun

Dog breeders blasted a proposed House bill yesterday that would require all dogs to be neutered and spayed by the age of 12 months, saying the law would decimate the canine-breeding and dog-show industries in ...
Comments
21 - 35 of 35 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Patriot

Revere, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

Bagdad Harry wrote:
<quoted text>
Hence the only real way to curb this problem ...to only let licensed (by state) breeders sell spade and neutered dogs to people after careful background checks.
Talk about opening a can worms.
The Patriot

Revere, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

Kevin wrote:
The main winners if this law passes will be the 'puppy mills" and 'backyard breeders". If you sell hundreds of puppies it is no big deal to pay a $500.00 fee. Since the fee is based on number of dogs, they will breed the same dog over and over. The "bad" breeders will just move.
Backyard breeders will just not tell anyone and fly under the radar.
Most of the rescue dogs that are adopted in Mass are imported from other states, mostly from down south.
The end result will not help dogs, it will help irresponsible breeders, and the puppy mill industry.
Not sure what you mean by backyard breeders. Almost every major kennel breeds in the backyard they do not take them to the Vet. The only exception is AI.
Kevin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

No Bagdad, the In state breeders will go out of Business,or move, and all the puppies available will come from out of state puppy mills, or those ignoring the laws. This bill does not eliminate the problem, it moves the problem somewere else.
A Backyard breeder is someone who thinks it would be good to breed thier own pets to make a few bucks. They do not look to the preservation of the breed, or look at hips, eyes, ears and other congenital defects.
There are bad breeders, and the human society should shut them down, but putting good breeders out of business does not solve the problem. In reality, there is no 'unwanted" puppy problem in Mass, 90% of the dogs up for adoption come from out of state.
doggystyle

Pelham, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

smith wrote:
Sounds like a great plan since MILLIONS of dogs are euthanized every year, just becausehtey have no one to take them home.
Dog breeders claim they love dogs, I think what they erally love is the "sport" of showing off a dog and the money that follows that, especially when selling puppies.
If dog breeders really loved dogs then they would encourage people to adopt the TRILLIONS that are living in shelters waiting for loving homes, instead of making more dogs that sometimes add to the shelter population!
I live in NH I'll bet I would make plenty of money smuggling and selling doggy sperm to you overgoverned MA prisoners....now all I need is a catchy name....lol
Kevin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

My point is the time should be two years or two and one half years, not one year. This allows the breeders to wait the appropriate amount of time before breeding. The 'unwanted" puppies are the puppymill puppies with really bad problems or puppies imported from other states.
If the period is two years or two and one half years, the responsible breeders can wait an appropriate time before breeding, and pick the best dogs.
Jack

New Albin, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

Ralph wrote:
We have huge financial issue facing us and they spend time on this stuff. Or are they just interested in finding away to increase taxes which these fees amount to.
Vote Yes on #1
money better spent if they NEUTER those women on welfare.imagine how many $$$ can be saved..that way thy can sleep every night as they now do with anyman and no bring in another KID...woman on welfare who have a kid =every chance they can are like a female dog a bitxch....

“Lowellita is awful.”

Since: Nov 07

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

Bagdad Harry wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly hope the LOwell cops have better things to do that enforce the leash law for the pleasure of Lowell Politics Stink
Hey di*khead, if the LPD enforced the leash law there would be less problems with dogs of all breeds including Pit Bulls which you seem to be afraid of. Enforcing the leash law is part of "community policing" wake the F up you uninformed moron.
Kevin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

Lets send the cops out to enforce leash laws, who cares about violent crime, theft ,etc. there is a poodle of his leash,oh the humanity, this must be stopped, all units respond, we have a REAL emergency here.
You really need to get your priorities straight.
Bagdad Harry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

Lowellian wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey di*khead, if the LPD enforced the leash law there would be less problems with dogs of all breeds including Pit Bulls which you seem to be afraid of. Enforcing the leash law is part of "community policing" wake the F up you uninformed moron.
Did I insult your intelligence? Tough to insult something that really never was there. If the Lowell police enforced many of the laws that other towns seem to have not much problem enforcing..then Lowell wouldn't be the butt of so many jokes.
But then judging from your race to insult me..I figure either mommy didn't love you enough...or you were dropped on your head at a young age.

“Lowellita is awful.”

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Kevin wrote:
Lets send the cops out to enforce leash laws, who cares about violent crime, theft ,etc. there is a poodle of his leash,oh the humanity, this must be stopped, all units respond, we have a REAL emergency here.
You really need to get your priorities straight.
Kevin, your joking right? Oh wait are you in San Mateo? So how would you know about the daily grind of the LPD? I've personally seen cruisers roll past people walking dogs OFF leash wave and keep on going. How tough would it be to pull over a write out a ticket?

“Lowellita is awful.”

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Bagdad Harry wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I insult your intelligence? Tough to insult something that really never was there. If the Lowell police enforced many of the laws that other towns seem to have not much problem enforcing..then Lowell wouldn't be the butt of so many jokes.
But then judging from your race to insult me..I figure either mommy didn't love you enough...or you were dropped on your head at a young age.
Harry the only reason I called you what I called you is a) it's true you are uninformed and b) you seem to take delight in griefing others. Call me all the names you want or insult my mom the fact remains your uninformed about this and you're wrong.
Kevin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Lowellian, my server is in San Mateo, I am very familiar with the area and have lived here for years. If the LPD can drive right by the drug deallers, pimps and hookers, why not a dog off a leash.
Bagdad Harry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Kevin wrote:
Lowellian, my server is in San Mateo, I am very familiar with the area and have lived here for years. If the LPD can drive right by the drug deallers, pimps and hookers, why not a dog off a leash.
So you aren't a troll?
As everybody...or anybody from San Mateo would understand!
Think Chelsea.
Bagdad Harry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Lowellian wrote:
<quoted text>
Harry the only reason I called you what I called you is a) it's true you are uninformed and b) you seem to take delight in griefing others. Call me all the names you want or insult my mom the fact remains your uninformed about this and you're wrong.
How am I uninformed?
Well inform me then.
I am sorry if you think that my comments seem to take delight in griefing others. I usually consider them lighthearted quips.
I think the real solution would be for the dog officer to take action. This isn't the realm of law enforcement. Lowell has much graver issues facing her everyday.
local yokel

Silsbee, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2011

I completely agree with Jack. Spend the time and money spaying women who can't afford or care for kids, before you worry so much about spaying dogs. People have their priorities so screwed up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Worcester Discussions

Search the Worcester Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Jul 26 Crazy Mike 4,696
Dan Kirouac returns to Worcester for acoustic show Jul 26 New England music scene 1
The Best Testosterone Therapy Clinic in Central... (Nov '12) Jul 23 Fred 18
The Summer Slaughter Tour is a War on Culture T... Jul 20 Culture Auditor 1
Dogs from closed Fitchburg shelter are alive an... Jul 19 Pajama People 3
3 say Pittsfield mayor misled council (Aug '12) Jul 19 the city I hate 64
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Jul 18 Kundrot dionkie 1,149
•••
•••

Worcester News Video

•••
•••

Worcester Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Worcester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE