Planned Parenthood to open office - S...

Planned Parenthood to open office - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 91 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jan 21, 2010, titled Planned Parenthood to open office - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

The Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts will open an office on Main Street in Fitchburg this spring, with the goal of reducing the area's high teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease rates, according to the agency's chief executive officer, Dianne Luby.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

Get A Life

Sudbury, MA

#67 Jan 21, 2010
I taught high school for many years and had my share of conversations with young girls about pregnancy issues. I did direct them to the appropriate agency when warranted. I don't know if Main Street is the right location, but I'm hoping the name recognition will get more young girls there for help. The other agencies mentioned here are for other purposes. To see young women with some intelligence and a future get crushed by the adult members of their families is awful. They're told they're only good to have babies and they, eventually, get the message. From the time that they're born girls, their future's decided. The boys take no responsibility. If they're around, they usually shouldn't be. They're abusive, don't work, demand physical favors, etc., but give no support. Many just wind up in jail. And many of these boys have several girls pregnant at one time. That's their job! They're MEN. The girls, actually, have little say. It's their lot in life. By providing money through the government, this attitude is ony being reinforced. They get paid for having children. That's their job just like other people get paid for working. It's time they learned they have some choice in their own lives with their own bodies. As for a threat of the Right to Lifers planting bombs, what does that say about them? Right to life but they kill.
So Sad

Santa Clara, CA

#68 Jan 21, 2010
Just Me wrote:
Wow.
What ever happened to the saying "It takes a village to raise a child"?
I could not read past the 2nd page of this thread because of all the bickering of Fitchburg, prostitutes, pregnant teens,etc...
I love babies and I love helping people. I guess I am the loser for feeling happy that Fitchburg is finally offering reputable, useful resources and education to those who need it most.
What ever happened to the saying "It takes a village to raise a child"?

Are you kidding?

The villagers are fed up with raising your children! Put down the crack pipe and raise your own offspring!

Boo hoo who!
Lunenburgian

Leominster, MA

#69 Jan 22, 2010
Rise above the rhetoric wrote:
We need to express to these girls that they count. Too many fathers in Fitchburg turn their backs on these kids and the mothers. Put shame on these guys!
Hopefully, this place really pushes Father programs also! Times are getting tougher! These kids cheat themselves out of life!
Someone needs to bring these Republican post into the schools and tell them: make these self righteous people eat their words! Support each other, become friends with other girls and talk to each other about protection! Give yourself a better chance at life,stay in school so you can one day take this "republicans" job away from them! Educate yourselves to rise above these stuck up people!
Always respect each other!
Come on, the republicans have nothing to do with this. Its the profit motivated welfare programs that keep the fathers out of the system. They know the statistics, put a working responsible male into the picture and the demand for services will rapidly diminish along with the need for the programs where everybody gets a cut - this is learned and encouraged helplessness to keep the left wingers and their social mega complex in power.
Just me --the big bully

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#70 Jan 22, 2010
Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Name calling? What are you, 5 years old? So you've got your bottom firmly planted in front of a computer and rather than Googling Planned Parenthood to discover for yourself what services they offer and how they are delived you instead come on this Topix forum and make statements and ask questions that give the appearance that you are either not that intelligent or are looking to pick a fight. Either way you look bad. You opened your mouth and gave everyone the distinct impression that you believe that only minorities and non-english speaking pregnant women would have access to the services offered. Go back and read your comments and tell me I'm wrong. I guess we can see where you got the Bully moniker from. Although you're even lacking in that department.
I am terribly sorry that I have this thing called a "job" and don't have all day to sit in front of a computer and critize people. So.......I ask questions to get direct answers, rather than waste my company's time searching Google for answers.

And from my personal experiences with the services offered in Fitchburg, yes I believe that this place will cater to non-english speaking minorities (who also have no health insurance), because when the hard working middle class needs help there is none to be found.

Will this place help illegals also???
RLA

Fitchburg, MA

#71 Jan 22, 2010
Just me --the big bully wrote:
<quoted text>
I am terribly sorry that I have this thing called a "job" and don't have all day to sit in front of a computer and critize people. So.......I ask questions to get direct answers, rather than waste my company's time searching Google for answers.
And from my personal experiences with the services offered in Fitchburg, yes I believe that this place will cater to non-english speaking minorities (who also have no health insurance), because when the hard working middle class needs help there is none to be found.
Will this place help illegals also???
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are not at work now. Here, I've done some of the work for you. Here is their website. Now you can do your own research on your own time.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/index.htm

If you are at work now, maybe you could resist the urge to post, oh let's say two or three comments on here and use that time to do your research.
Just me --the big bully

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#72 Jan 22, 2010
RLA wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are not at work now. Here, I've done some of the work for you. Here is their website. Now you can do your own research on your own time.
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/index.htm
If you are at work now, maybe you could resist the urge to post, oh let's say two or three comments on here and use that time to do your research.
Nope, not at work.
The website is very informative, and mentions almost all the things that people have said on here.

Didn't see anything about catering to illegals, or did I overlook that one?
Just me --the big bully

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#73 Jan 22, 2010
Are these criminals going to be able to walk in and receive services, therefore cloggin the system for the ones that are here legaly?
Down Town

Fitchburg, MA

#74 Jan 22, 2010
Does your poop smell wrote:
<quoted text>
LUK helps trouble kids and employs others who spend their pay checks through mortgages,food,clothing,restau rants and tuitions.
Montachusett Opportunity Council; HMMM do they help with support of the elderly?
Habit Management? Is this the clinic where those who got addicted to heroin go? Don't they have a good sized work force? Now these addicts are showing up as they begin to work full time jobs, become better parents and citizens! Less crime,more jobs and less crime in the city! Maybe we could use another clinic? Get a clue!!! I suppose "you pay for all these men and women at this clinic"?
Our Fathers house? Do you know when these guys get jobs they pay for room and board! You really have a problem with people making a warm home for the homeless whom are out in the cold? Do you know there are a lot of food donations that are used by these shelters? Shame on you!!! Do you know anyone who lost their job in this economy? Walk under the roadway bridges in Boston; their are families under the bridges you drive through!! You don't notice them unless you walked under the bridge! I did the census in Boston in 1990 as we counted the Homeless. This would of been a good job for you! Do you feel that you were born to entitlement?? I bet you are a Republican bible hipocrite!
Then you want to harp on the WIC program? Are you serious? Do you know anyone who works at a supermarket or has a kid working at one? These employees spend their entire checks into the economy; you probably benefit from dividends of companies that they spent their check!!
You may be book smart but you are so far from reality! Get your head out of your pooper! You must be feeling that Scott Brown is the Messiah and the Republicans are going to be able to squirm out of their worm holes and come to power again! This will not happen as long as Bush doesn't refer with Diabold again!!!!
You must remember Diabold? This is the company that had to pay millions as they were sued for their voting machines! You know the one where the COE wrote a letter to George Bush telling him "we will take florida"?
Dear "Does Your Poop Smell",
If you go back and read my post, I'm not trying to "harp on" anything. It seems like your the one that is flying off the deep end and attempting to legitimize the few I mentioned. I'm not trying to discuss or justify the positive or negative qualities of the many social service agencies in Fitchburg, and I'm sure there are many programs that do a lot of good. I'm simply stating that there are over 40 such services already in place in town, and that I stand by.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#75 Jan 22, 2010
Does your poop smell wrote:
<quoted text>
LUK helps trouble kids and employs others who spend their pay checks through mortgages,food,clothing,restau rants and tuitions.
Montachusett Opportunity Council; HMMM do they help with support of the elderly?
Habit Management? Is this the clinic where those who got addicted to heroin go? Don't they have a good sized work force? Now these addicts are showing up as they begin to work full time jobs, become better parents and citizens! Less crime,more jobs and less crime in the city! Maybe we could use another clinic? Get a clue!!! I suppose "you pay for all these men and women at this clinic"?
Our Fathers house? Do you know when these guys get jobs they pay for room and board! You really have a problem with people making a warm home for the homeless whom are out in the cold? Do you know there are a lot of food donations that are used by these shelters? Shame on you!!! Do you know anyone who lost their job in this economy? Walk under the roadway bridges in Boston; their are families under the bridges you drive through!! You don't notice them unless you walked under the bridge! I did the census in Boston in 1990 as we counted the Homeless. This would of been a good job for you! Do you feel that you were born to entitlement?? I bet you are a Republican bible hipocrite!
Then you want to harp on the WIC program? Are you serious? Do you know anyone who works at a supermarket or has a kid working at one? These employees spend their entire checks into the economy; you probably benefit from dividends of companies that they spent their check!!
You may be book smart but you are so far from reality! Get your head out of your pooper! You must be feeling that Scott Brown is the Messiah and the Republicans are going to be able to squirm out of their worm holes and come to power again! This will not happen as long as Bush doesn't refer with Diabold again!!!!
You must remember Diabold? This is the company that had to pay millions as they were sued for their voting machines! You know the one where the COE wrote a letter to George Bush telling him "we will take florida"?
Hey Poop,

Many people in Fitchburg absolutely believe in helping those that need help...the issue is that Fitchburg ALREADY has enough social service outreach programs. We have ALWAYS done MORE THAN OUR SHARE of taking care of the needy.

It is just being questioned as to why do we need yet another social service program in Fitchburg. How many of these programs exist in Westminster? Lunenburg? Sterling?

You're not being completely fair here.
city

Somerville, MA

#76 Jan 22, 2010
They said the closest Planned Parenthood was Worcester. Well if they could get to Worcester they can get to Leominster. NO MORE SOCIAL SERVICES IN FITCHBURG. Trouble with transportation? The bus works very well.

Since: Jan 10

Oil City, PA

#78 Jan 22, 2010
Get A Life wrote:
I taught high school for many years and had my share of conversations with young girls about pregnancy issues. I did direct them to the appropriate agency when warranted. I don't know if Main Street is the right location, but I'm hoping the name recognition will get more young girls there for help. The other agencies mentioned here are for other purposes. To see young women with some intelligence and a future get crushed by the adult members of their families is awful. They're told they're only good to have babies and they, eventually, get the message. From the time that they're born girls, their future's decided. The boys take no responsibility. If they're around, they usually shouldn't be. They're abusive, don't work, demand physical favors, etc., but give no support. Many just wind up in jail. And many of these boys have several girls pregnant at one time. That's their job! They're MEN. The girls, actually, have little say. It's their lot in life. By providing money through the government, this attitude is ony being reinforced. They get paid for having children. That's their job just like other people get paid for working. It's time they learned they have some choice in their own lives with their own bodies. As for a threat of the Right to Lifers planting bombs, what does that say about them? Right to life but they kill.
Well put.
Just me --the big bully

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#79 Jan 22, 2010
Real World wrote:
<quoted text>
Did your friend not answer their phone? Any other "readers" out there want to list any more of the vast amount of social service agencies in Fitchburg? I'll wait, again.....
Woo Hoo, for lunch breaks, I googled Fitchburg, MA social services and came up with the following.
Would these qualify:

Veterans Homestead
Arc Community Services Inc
Key Program
YMCA
Salvation Army Thrift Store
Care Services Project
Center For Living & Working
Center Place Day Hab
Cleghorn Neighborhood Ctr......etc.

http://www.topix.com/yp/fitchburg-ma/c/commun...

Not too sure how reliable the information is, but this is where I found these names and others also.
Just me --the big bully

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#80 Jan 22, 2010
That web address says there are 44 social services in the city of Fitchburg.
Teacher

Somerville, MA

#81 Jan 22, 2010
Just out of curiosity I checked the yellow pages under "Social and Human Services" and I would say there are easily over 40 in Fitchburg. Maybe about 1/4 that amount in Leominster.
Just me --the big bully

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#83 Jan 22, 2010
Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Pick up your phone, call PP in Worcester, and ask them. You are one of the laziest people I've ever encountered.
P: 800.258.4448
Ha ha ha, someone has their panties in a bunch.
LOL!
mlrms

Fitchburg, MA

#84 Jan 22, 2010
Here are a few additional questions the city council/mayor should be thinking about asking Planned Parenthood?

What happens when the grant money runs out?

Is it just surgical abortions which are not to be performed? What about medication abortions? A bit easier for them to fly under the radar with that in the name of "morning after" care.

Will the presence of Planned Parenthood make us a better community?

All of us should think for a minute about this... Margaret Sanger the foundress of Planned parenthood wrote that the purpose in promoting birth control was "to create a race of thoroughbreds," The Birth Control Review, Nov. 1921 (p. 2) She was an outspoken proponent of eugenics and her targets were immigrants, minorities and anyone she felt was ignorant enough to have a large family. Are we so anxious to stop the number of teen pregnancies in our community that we are willing to buy into Planned Parenthood's vision which was set by a woman who wanted to rid the world of anyone who wasn't of her color and beliefs?
Move to the Burg

United States

#85 Jan 22, 2010
Will the last person to leave Fitchburg please turn off the lights ! Oops....the lights are already turned off.
Down Town

Fitchburg, MA

#87 Jan 22, 2010
Real World wrote:
<quoted text>
Did your friend not answer their phone? Any other "readers" out there want to list any more of the vast amount of social service agencies in Fitchburg? I'll wait, again.....
OK "Real World"
Looks like my friend did answer. Click on the following URL posted by "Just ME the Big Bully" just a few comments past your original post and you will find a list of 44 social service agencies in town. I think Fitchburg is doing its share..........what say you? Here it is http://www.topix.com/yp/fitchburg-ma/c/commun ...
My opinion

Worcester, MA

#88 Jan 22, 2010
Not all young women have the choice to turn to their parents and have a simple conversation about safe sex or birth control, this is where this facility will come in handy. Not all pregnancies are planned, some women are very unfortunate and experience rape and do not know where to turn...yes, there are some woman that are not responsible and become pregnant but are in situations where they don't know if they should keep a child knowing they would not be able to provide for...and this is why people should think about other peoples situations and imagine how it would be if you were they're shoes.
Planned Parenthood was created for a reason, for many different reasons.
My opinion

Worcester, MA

#89 Jan 22, 2010
Not all young women have the choice to turn to their parents and have a simple conversation about safe sex or birth control, this is where this facility will come in handy. Not all pregnancies are planned, some women are very unfortunate and experience rape and do not know where to turn...yes, there are some woman that are not responsible and become pregnant but are in situations where they don't know if they should keep a child knowing they would not be able to provide for...and this is why people should think about other peoples situations and imagine how it would be if you were they're shoes.
Planned Parenthood was created for a reason, for many different reasons

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Worcester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beatles For Sale coming to Grafton 22 hr New England Music... 1
Beatles For Sale: The Tribute - live in Paxton 22 hr New England Music... 1
homosexuality is a sick depravity (Jul '11) Jun 20 Mike Shane 18
Dean Park welcomes the areas premiere Beatles T... Jun 20 New England Music... 1
Beatles For Sale returning to Shrewsbury in July! Jun 20 New England Music... 1
local lakes Jun 19 mikezee 1
Dan Kirouac returns to Val's - June 24th Jun 12 New England Music... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Worcester Mortgages