Swoopes Says She Is Gay, and Exhales

Swoopes Says She Is Gay, and Exhales

There are 9 comments on the New York Times story from Oct 26, 2005, titled Swoopes Says She Is Gay, and Exhales. In it, New York Times reports that:

Sheryl Swoopes, the three-time most valuable player of the W.N.B.A., announced yesterday that she is gay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Times.

Tiera

Natchez, MS

#1 Apr 13, 2006
You can't be like that u can teach me some ball.
leatha

Indianapolis, IN

#2 May 11, 2006
Good for Swoopes, I for one was smiling from ear to ear when she announced her true identity. She is a professional and should be treated as such, don't judge her for being her. All she wnats is to be comfortable and in her arena she deserves that much. She has done so much for the profession atleast we can do this much for her and show her the respect and support she deserves. So many professionals deny their true identities until it's to late and create so much havok in their lives it's ridiculous. So again Sheryl good for you. Best wishes to you and your family. I'm a devoted Fever Fan, but I'll standd by what's right any day.
Brittany

AOL

#3 Jun 4, 2006
Leatha, you are absolutely correct. She can be who she wants ro be, because either way, God loves her for who she is. Besides that,It's not what people say or think about her that makes her different, It is what God says that matters most.No one has the right to judge her for being who she is. Sheryl if you read this, just know that I will always be your biggest fan. Just hold your head up high and keep on keeping on and remember that God loves you in spite of it all.. Be yourself. Be Blessed.
Lea

Macon, GA

#4 Aug 5, 2006
Although we have totally different tastes , I just find it hard to still not love her and root for her the same way I did before I found this out I treat her the same way I still look up to her and admire her for what's she's done, she's a legend in my book and as long as she's happy whether that be with a man or woman I love her the same.
Michael

Trinidad and Tobago

#5 Aug 11, 2006
If Sheryl is gay, that is her business. Personally, I don't care, because I don't know her. However, what I am opposed to all this glorification of homosexuality. Come on people!

For example, many of the US sitcoms and movies produced in the last five years, seem to have been officially mandated to have at least one gay person, to avoid neglecting the gay community.

This is influencing people negatively to think that same-sex couplings and same-sex parenting is normal human behaviour, when it is very much an alternative, but not necessarily morally correct, lifestyle.

If you choose to be homosexual or heterosexual that's your business, and all power to you, but why all the hype, why try to make heterosexuals accept you, as just one of the guys/girls?
markl5

Chesterfield, MO

#6 Aug 11, 2006
I have always wondered why she decided to out herself when the entire league knew she was gay already. In the WNBA, gay women are not really an issue becuse the league is not homophobic. An openly gay woman in the WNBA does not face the alienation that men would face in their respective leagues.

So I wonder if Swoopes did this as a way of bringing attention to herself. She does not strike me as a woman who wishes to be a champion for any social cause, but she does strike me as a media addict. This is a woman who at the height of her career had her own shoe with Nike, and an endorcement contract with American Express. That was a decade ago. Life is different for her now, and many of the leagues younger players get more attention in the marketplace.

Your sexuality is such a private thing. You really risk alot when you go public with revelations like this. To do so might be personally liberating, but your family will also have to deal with it, and your friends.

On the other hand...

Swoopes outed herself and must now have to deal with a world that may look at her no differently. Months have passed since her announcement and I have seen her in no public service announcements, no articles about female homosexuality, nothing. So at what impact is this announcement? Perhaps it was the effort to steal one more headline from a woman who does not get many these days. Her MVP recent MVP Award hardly made a blip on the screen.

Now that she's a nationally known lesbian, it would be impressive if she actually became a true activist for their most profound causes. Otherwise, she just looks like a little girl crying for a little more "Look at me!"
jaye

Eddyville, KY

#7 Aug 30, 2006
good post markl.....my sentiments exactly.....
jbo

Clover, SC

#8 Jan 5, 2007
I agree with Mark L.. I think it has hurt her career status.. It has also surely impacted younger female ball player that don't want to be associated with being gay. All female athletes do not have to be gay... what happened to loving the sport of basketball, softball, etc...
michelle d

United States

#9 Jan 5, 2007
she came out because she wanted to so shutup

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Houston Comets Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tina thomson (Mar '07) Feb '10 latrice laymond 2
News Former Houston Star Cynthia Cooper-Dyke 'Devast... (Jul '09) Jul '09 funny 1
News Comets, four-time WNBA champs, disbanding (Jan '09) Jan '09 charles weber 2
News Minnesota Lynx add guard Roneeka Hodges in disp... (Jan '09) Jan '09 Jane Varga 1
News Sparks hoping to lure former Comets star Thomps... (Dec '08) Dec '08 tjtripper 12
News Guru's Notes: Will Houston's Demise Yield Rutge... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Carlla in Houston 1
News Sky take guard in WNBA dispersal draft (Dec '08) Dec '08 Jack 3