Helicopter lands at The Canyons - The Park Record

Full story: Park Record

Some critics say officials at The Canyons have sidestepped the public process by creating a mid-mountain landing zone for helicopters after an application for a permit to build a helipad at the base of the resort was rejected.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Alta Lew D

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

I think the Wasatch Powderbird Guides helicopter that has been operating since 1976 is okay; now if we can get all those houses, condos, and cars that came since 1976 to go away, no conflict!

The heavy traffic is on the highways, not the airways. People, the problem is you! We should probably look into what to do with all these post 1976 people and see if there needs to be new ordinances on where people are appropriate and where they are not, like the Sun Peak Subdivision.
Larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

This stunt seals the deal demonstrating Talisker's poor character and lack of any urge to act as a decent citizen. Since the parties think that they are so clever, stiffer enforcement of governing regulations regarding all components of the operation can be applied. Further, tighter scrunity of current business license compliance is obviouly necessary. As for new licenses, they should be studies in great depth. All new permits should be examined in greater detail and handles with minimal accommodation. Incidentally, has anyone reviewed their aviation insurance coverage?
Peter Kemp

Kamas, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

How many take-offs and landings a day, anyway? I can't imagine it's more than a handful.
Powpig

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

Hey Larry,

Due us all a favor and stay in FL. Thanks!
Larry wrote:
This stunt seals the deal demonstrating Talisker's poor character and lack of any urge to act as a decent citizen. Since the parties think that they are so clever, stiffer enforcement of governing regulations regarding all components of the operation can be applied. Further, tighter scrunity of current business license compliance is obviouly necessary. As for new licenses, they should be studies in great depth. All new permits should be examined in greater detail and handles with minimal accommodation. Incidentally, has anyone reviewed their aviation insurance coverage?
Nati

Park City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

can I get a ride to square top? the boot-pack off 9990 sux
JMC

West Jordan, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2010

Nati...rest assured your body will get helicopter ride off the mountain when Square Top rips out and buries you under 10 feet of snow.

Dear Larry...how is this a stunt if there's no regulations as to landing a helicopter on snow which is not a permanent structure they had originally applied for? And how is this affecting you exactly? I have lived in the flight path of the Med Flight ( or whatever it's called ) for a few years and they'd buzz over at least a few times a day. Guess what...I lived.
Parkite1970

Park City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2010

I live on a ridge directly in the flight path from PC to SLC, and I'd say one or two helicopters fly over each day. Big deal. Even my dogs don't bark or act affected when they fly over, and the elk and moose are still here and living normal lives. The resorts commonly have always had helicopters flying around them for various reasons.
WPG is a tax-revenue-generating tourist-attracting business, which should be one great reason to ENCOURAGE their operation--especially during terrible economic times AND one of the worst snow years on record. On days they even fly (certainly not every day), they take-off from the resort, then land there later in the day. The rest of the time they are flying into backcountry areas MILES from any habitation. It's not like The Canyons has suddenly been turned into a busy airport. Time to lighten'-up, folks.
shred on

Tooele, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

I'm curious to know where the life flight helis will pick up the bloodied/unconscious skiers now that WPG has taken over the landing pad. Even more important: what's going to happen to the WPG heli when it's Pond Skimming season? A pond jib feature, I hope!
Doug in Old Town

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

Are those who complain about the helicopters selectively deaf? Are they unable to hear the avalanche control bombs that go off daily from November to April?

Since: Jan 10

Park City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

Doug in Old Town wrote:
Are those who complain about the helicopters selectively deaf? Are they unable to hear the avalanche control bombs that go off daily from November to April?
Some people forget that we live in a tourist driven area. If it were not for the tourism we would be no better than a distant suburb of SLC.

If a few helicopters during the middle of the day is all you have to complain about you have a pretty good life.

Let's not bite the hand that feeds us. The hysterical rantings of a few busy bodies should not make policy for the rest of us.
Eff the Nimbys

Tooele, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

The definition of an environmentalist is someone who already has their home in the mountains. I couldn't have said it any better than Alta Lew.
duder

Alpine, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

JMC wrote:
Nati...rest assured your body will get helicopter ride off the mountain when Square Top rips out and buries you under 10 feet of snow.
Dear Larry...how is this a stunt if there's no regulations as to landing a helicopter on snow which is not a permanent structure they had originally applied for? And how is this affecting you exactly? I have lived in the flight path of the Med Flight ( or whatever it's called ) for a few years and they'd buzz over at least a few times a day. Guess what...I lived.
I don't think they'll give Nati a ride in the helicopter when Square Top avalanches. They usually take dead people down in the sled.
Mature Person

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2010

Eff the Nimbys wrote:
The definition of an environmentalist is someone who already has their home in the mountains. I couldn't have said it any better than Alta Lew.
Both you and Alta Lew not only miss the point but exhibit flawed logic. The whole issue was the proposed location of the 3 Helipads and NOT whether or not WPB is allowed to fly in and out of The Canyons. If the proposed Helipads were already in place in the 70's prior to residential development then there would be no issue. But they were not there and your logic fails.

This isn't necessarily a matter of a few people preventing WPB from operating at The Canyons because WPB is operating from The Canyons. All county residents who reside within 1000 feet of any proposed impact have a legal right to voice concerns over a project and in many cases alter that project. Those folks ARE the majority and anyone outside of the impact zone is in the minority.

This new article in the Park Record only attempts to stir the pot of public sentiment. The vast majority of folks who were against the location of the Helipads were never in fact against a WPB operation at some other location on the mountain. WPB has a permit to fly approx. 1600 people to the back country each season. They can't fly any more than that. Where they pick up the paying customer does not change the permit quantity.

It's downright humorous to see all the ignorance bantered about concerning the helipads.
For the umptheenth time and for the record, the issue is the location of the helipads and NOT whether or not WPB can fly from The Canyons. They are in fact flying from The Canyons

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Olympic Snowboarding Discussions

Search the Olympic Snowboarding Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Report: Green Bay Packers re-sign cornerback Sa... Mar '14 GBPfan 5
Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Mar '14 Alan Gladfelter 11
Ride Snowboard SEARCH + WIN (Jan '10) Apr '12 cobra99 5
Extreme Sports Videos (Oct '09) Mar '12 Joe Krupinski 21
How Olympic athletes pay the rent (Mar '10) Feb '12 Joe Krupinski 3
Excitement building across B.C. for Winter Games (Jan '12) Jan '12 Chinna Raulston 1
Get free snowboard gear from Rossignol! (Jan '09) Nov '11 josh 5
•••
•••
•••