West Manheim could lose sledding hill

West Manheim could lose sledding hill

There are 8 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Feb 8, 2009, titled West Manheim could lose sledding hill. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

When enough snow falls, it doesn't take long for the big hill next the former West Manheim Elementary to fill with sled riders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Mount Wolf Sled Fan

Gettysburg, PA

#1 Feb 8, 2009
Im a dad of four kids. My family loves sled riding, its a rite of winter festivities in the Northeast.
People can't have it both ways, people worry kids get to fat from inactivity, but then ban activities ranging from sledding and skateboarding, roller skating etc. becuase they fear they are going to get sued.
Isn't a simple solution to place a notice that you are welcome to sled, but we are not repsonsible and the right to sue is lost if someone is injured.
After all you were warned...:)
Have some common sense.
queenie

York, PA

#2 Feb 8, 2009
GREAT POST, I was once a resident in this neighborhood we ALWAYS went sledding there and also t the South Hills Golf Course. Never once did anyone including neighbors and property owners complain about us sledding there, matter fact they use to join in the fun... So let kids sled and post a sign that the township IS NOT responsible for any sort of accidents. We now live near the Avalanche Express Snow tubing and each and everyone who participates must sign a waiver stating the facility is not responsible for any accidents so why not post a sign to all. Keep on sleddin' Although.....if we don't have snow they won't need to worry!!! It's not like 25 years ago when we got snow....feet...not a inch here and a inch there.
Frosty

Annapolis, MD

#3 Feb 8, 2009
Which was there first, the sledding hill or the nasty neighbors?

Don't buy next to the farm if you don't like the smell. Don't buy near the highway if you don't like the traffic.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!
myoldneighborhoo d

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Feb 8, 2009
The hill was there first. Forget the neighbors. The economy is in bad shape and all you can worry about is ruining some kids fun!!! Shame on you.
Shame

United States

#5 Feb 9, 2009
It's a shame that it's coming to the point that kids can't even have decent fun outdoors anymore.
Mike

United States

#6 Feb 9, 2009
Great post, Frosty! My sentiments exactly. I live in western Lehigh County and some of the borough council meetings are filled with people from NY and NJ who moved over here and built McMansions next to the few open farm fields remaining. Guess what they're complaining about??
Next Door

Cockeysville, MD

#7 Feb 9, 2009
Go figure, another attempt at West Manheim to make it miserable to live in the township. I live next to the hill, I don't complain...I don't even know if people really are complaining or if that is just a made up story to act like a-holes. No one was ever young once? Please! GET A LIFE GUYS AND DO SOMETHING TO HELP THE COMMUNITY! INSTEAD OF RUINING IT!
Nils Parr

Hagerstown, MD

#8 Feb 11, 2009
What if we could combine some of the good ideas mentioned here.

1. Place a sturdy snow fence about 10 feet in from the West Manheim New Township Building boundary at the base of a designated skedding area, to prevent sleds from crossing into neighbors yards. This should eliminate the neighbors very legitimate concerns.

2. Place a solid line of straw bales from 5 to 12 feet inside the snow fence to serve as a gentle buffer for sledders unable to stop. This should help protect our kids and their friends. Our children are our future and should be protected.

3. Require bicycle helmets or equivalent for all sledders, snow boarders, skiers, tobogganers, etc.
This should add just a little extra safety.

I hope you will join us next Tuesday evening at 6pm at the Supervisors' Work Session at the New West Manheim Administration Building to see what happens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sledding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Suit prompts Boyce to close sledding hill (Jan '09) Feb '14 End of an Era 11
News Boob Sledding Through the Arctic (Feb '13) Apr '13 michellepain 47
News Storm packs 1-2 punch of snow, slush (Feb '08) Feb '11 America Gentleman... 7
News Letters to santa (Jan '11) Jan '11 cartier 5
News Bay Shore to host a winter festival (Dec '08) Dec '10 We r all Immigrants 25
News Local woman gets the key to her dream (Dec '07) Nov '10 Angela Levy 5
News No pain, no gain for father son sledders (Mar '10) Mar '10 North America 1
More from around the web