W. Manheim sledding ban reconsidered

W. Manheim sledding ban reconsidered

There are 44 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jan 7, 2010, titled W. Manheim sledding ban reconsidered. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

West Manheim Township officials are again considering action to ban sledding on the steep hills that surround the Baltimore Pike municipal building, which had been an elementary school until 2006.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Larry

Baltimore, MD

#41 Jan 14, 2010
Duh OK wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is going to pay for all the insurance policies for all the bordering properties that the complaints are coming from Larry? I'm sure you meant to say that the "bordering residents will look unfriendly to families" for demanding action from the supervisors, or legal action could ensue.
Larry, are you willing to pay for that shiny new liability policy that only a few sledding families that are close enough (1/2 mile)to the municipal building will be protected by? Ya know, because you said "but I doubt there will be many users that walk much further than a half-mile or so", so your new tax for sledding liability is just for the sledders within a half mile of the hill.
Thanks for spending our tax dollars for a few entitled people Larry, how liberal of you.
Duh, I'm the last guy who would turn liberal, but I think there is a solution beyond what has been offered.
Madulla Medic

Hanover, PA

#42 Jan 14, 2010
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh, I'm the last guy who would turn liberal, but I think there is a solution beyond what has been offered.
Feel free to offer a solution that does not risk township nor private liability, or at least covers them fully, and does not use taxes or draw from a fund, that was not intended for municipal building rec use. WMT is all ears Larry, fire away!
Rick

Baltimore, MD

#43 Jan 15, 2010
Two questions: What makes you think that the township is interested in the opinions of their residents, all of a sudden? Did you ever try thinking outside the box?
Montana

Hanover, PA

#44 Jan 15, 2010
Rick wrote:
Two questions: What makes you think that the township is interested in the opinions of their residents, all of a sudden? Did you ever try thinking outside the box?
There is a "public comments" portion of every township meeting where the Supervisors listen to the public, along with accepting public commentary on nearly every issue brought to vote, as they are discussed. The Supervisors have commented on these forums in the past, which shows they read them. Thinking "outside the box" of legalities and liability is exactly what residents don't want, and what they would complain about if their tax dollars or actual, rights were left unprotected.

There is only one solution here in reference to sledding, ban it on the municipal building hill. You will get vociferous complaints from no more than 5-10 entitled citizens who believe "the hill belongs to the tax payers, to use as we please", and they will be fodder for another story the paper writes from the angle of "supervisors take away sledding rights", instead of an accurate headline like "supervisors settle dispute between residents and protect liabilities and wasted/unauthorized taxes".

In order for the supervisors to allow sledding to continue, safeguards will have to be in place, this would most likely be in the form of a barrier close to the base of the hills, and liability insurance for people who have now been "invited to sled on the hill", in case they are injured on the barriers, if they somehow damage private property while sledding the hills, or trespass beyond the Municipal slopes.

Ignoring ANY valid side of this residential debate would be irresponsible, but that does not mean the outcome won't bother a group of residents, but they don't have a supervisors handbook that they are being held legally accountable to either. If the Supervisors do not use the legal means, within their powers to safeguard health and finances of the Township, they can be charged with an offense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sledding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Suit prompts Boyce to close sledding hill (Jan '09) Feb '14 End of an Era 11
News Boob Sledding Through the Arctic (Feb '13) Apr '13 michellepain 47
News Storm packs 1-2 punch of snow, slush (Feb '08) Feb '11 America Gentleman... 7
News Letters to santa (Jan '11) Jan '11 cartier 5
News Bay Shore to host a winter festival (Dec '08) Dec '10 We r all Immigrants 25
News Local woman gets the key to her dream (Dec '07) Nov '10 Angela Levy 5
News No pain, no gain for father son sledders (Mar '10) Mar '10 North America 1
More from around the web