Dogged N.J. musher survives call of I...

Dogged N.J. musher survives call of Iditarod

There are 2 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 18, 2009, titled Dogged N.J. musher survives call of Iditarod. In it, Newsday reports that:

It is difficult to pay attention to a sporting event when one doesn't have a dog in the fight.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Jamesw2

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#1 Mar 18, 2009
You forgot to mention how cold it was. when its "minus-45 degree temperatures; the demise of two dogs on one team, apparently frozen to death;" you need to mention it more than once because people will think it's a typo. It's cold enough that your bones never forget it. I had to deal with the winter of 77-78 in western Pa. It was only 30 below with wind chill and my lane was 3/4 of a mile long I had to walk it to get to my truck. I remember how difficult it was to put the tire chains on and off. even a hammer couldn't break the ice out of the clips. I would warm my bare hands under the truck heater then put them on the clips to thaw them. It took two batteries to start the truck.

They were in dire straights up their and i agree the GPS saved their Butts
alison

Blackwood, NJ

#2 Mar 20, 2009
Dogs die horribly every year in this "sporting event". I fail to see how it makes sense to commemorate a living-saving event with one that ends so many lives. It's animal cruelty, and its shameful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sledding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dog sled tour operator defends industry in wake... (Dec '16) Dec '16 DOG is GOOD 1
News Suit prompts Boyce to close sledding hill (Jan '09) Feb '14 End of an Era 11
News Boob Sledding Through the Arctic (Feb '13) Apr '13 michellepain 47
News Storm packs 1-2 punch of snow, slush (Feb '08) Feb '11 America Gentleman... 7
News Letters to santa (Jan '11) Jan '11 cartier 5
News Bay Shore to host a winter festival (Dec '08) Dec '10 We r all Immigrants 25
News Local woman gets the key to her dream (Dec '07) Nov '10 Angela Levy 5
More from around the web