Sled ban on hold

Sled ban on hold

There are 21 comments on the Evening Sun story from Mar 6, 2009, titled Sled ban on hold. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

West Manheim Township officials hope the warmer weather might have settled their sledding problems for this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
anonymous

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Mar 6, 2009
how about letting persons/sledders involved sign a waiver in case of a accident and hold the sledder or their guardians be responsible for property damage if any is incurred..
time

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Mar 7, 2009
anonymous wrote:
how about letting persons/sledders involved sign a waiver in case of a accident and hold the sledder or their guardians be responsible for property damage if any is incurred..
ok, so the home owner has to stay home when it snows to get a waiver signed?

or the Township has to pay someone to be there everytime it snows, even weekends?

Not a good idea!
resident

Newville, PA

#3 Mar 7, 2009
Well, it still comes down to the supervisors not making a decision ONCE AGAIN!
Yeh - just don't do anything and spring will come, and they don't have to deal with the issue for months!
Supervisors meeting - March 17th @ 6:00 P.M.
Come one come all!
Oh jesh

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Mar 7, 2009
Can't they just put up a couple of signs like at the top and bottom of the hill that say "Sled at your OWN risk" or something like "Homeowner/Township will not be responsible for accident or injury"??
WMT resident

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Mar 7, 2009
Oh jesh wrote:
Can't they just put up a couple of signs like at the top and bottom of the hill that say "Sled at your OWN risk" or something like "Homeowner/Township will not be responsible for accident or injury"??
Nope, the homeowner is responsible if the person is injured on his property. Signs do nothing!
Confused

Harrisburg, PA

#6 Mar 7, 2009
WMT resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, the homeowner is responsible if the person is injured on his property. Signs do nothing!
Great I guess I have to stop the kids from cutting across my property to catch the school bus and make them walk in the road instead.
Where does it all end ????
Confused

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Mar 7, 2009
WMT resident wrote:
<quoted text>
OK OK Here is something that has been left out.
The person who is bringing this up to the township has lived there for quite awhile ( moved into the house knowing this is a popular sledding hill ) when the township building was the school. What action was taken than . If they didn't want the risk, why move there in the first place.
Kind of moving to a house next to a manure farm and than complain every time it rains.
wm resident

Newville, PA

#8 Mar 8, 2009
to be honest with you it wasnt a big deel until someone did get hurt and property was damaged. Thats when I called the twp and ask them who was respnsible thats how this all got started. My hopes were the twp lawer who is at all the meetings would say signs could be put up that would protect the twp and us. But it hasnt turned out that way. Best case in my opinion the twp could mark an area with signs just for sledding that wouldnt interfear with anyone else. Or if any of you have an idea go to the meeting and bring it up so far the only one who said anything about banning sledders is the evening sun. From the first meeting I went to the last one I ask that they be redirected to a better area on the hill or signs be posted and we found out the signs arent good enough.

Since: Dec 08

Harrisburg, PA

#9 Mar 8, 2009
Geeze we cant hardly do anything anymore without a bunch of bs to go along with it. And y'all love how 'free' this country is? Why do u like this country so much? What thee heck is wrong with you people? Bunch of weirdos.
ponie

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Mar 8, 2009
The homeowner needs to put a fence up. Case CLOSED.

Since: Dec 08

Harrisburg, PA

#11 Mar 8, 2009
ponie wrote:
No, the govnt and other so called controlllers need to get bombed by China and taught a lesson. I will gladly go down along with the u.s. because something needs to be done to this country's selfish vicious people. I dont understand why y'all fail to see that you arent as free as you think. Clean the damn dollar signs out of your mind and you would see how bad this country is. Kids and people cant do anything for fun anymore. Heck its bad when theyd rather have a partying night club for kids instead of allowing clean fun like sledding.
same person

Tuscaloosa, AL

#12 Mar 8, 2009
Is this the same guy complaining that is with the fire company out there??
why does it matter

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Mar 8, 2009
same person wrote:
Is this the same guy complaining that is with the fire company out there??
What does that have to do with anything?

I would complain too. I wouldn't want to be responsible for other children getting injured in my yard or my property being damaged. It's one thing if it's your own children but when you have others trespassing, that is just wrong. Now a days people are too law suit happy. So, yeah I agree 100% that the township needs to do something now. Why wait until next winter? Let's get it done now!
WHAT

Harrisburg, PA

#15 Mar 8, 2009
wm resident wrote:
to be honest with you it wasnt a big deel until someone did get hurt and property was damaged. Thats when I called the twp and ask them who was respnsible thats how this all got started. My hopes were the twp lawer who is at all the meetings would say signs could be put up that would protect the twp and us. But it hasnt turned out that way. Best case in my opinion the twp could mark an area with signs just for sledding that wouldnt interfear with anyone else. Or if any of you have an idea go to the meeting and bring it up so far the only one who said anything about banning sledders is the evening sun. From the first meeting I went to the last one I ask that they be redirected to a better area on the hill or signs be posted and we found out the signs arent good enough.
So how many times aren't you honest?
wm resident

Newville, PA

#16 Mar 8, 2009
WHAT wrote:
<quoted text>So how many times aren't you honest?
Just telling it how it is plain and simple you have no idea of the type of person I am to make a comment like that. Come to the next meeting I ll be glad to talk and to the person who wanted to crack me over the head stop on by too. Probably wont much easier for you to type smart ass remarks hidden behind a screen name
WHAT

Harrisburg, PA

#17 Mar 8, 2009
wm resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Just telling it how it is plain and simple you have no idea of the type of person I am to make a comment like that. Come to the next meeting I ll be glad to talk and to the person who wanted to crack me over the head stop on by too. Probably wont much easier for you to type smart ass remarks hidden behind a screen name
When you say "to be honest" it says to me that you aren't always honest. I have no reason to show up at the next meeting, I don't know who you are and I don't care.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#18 Mar 8, 2009
ponie wrote:
Why does the property owner have to put up a fence to protect his own property? He isn't the one causing a problem.
The biggest problem is that everyone wants to sue somebody whenever something happens.
I agree that if one of the kids sledding damages someones property, they (or their parents) are responsible. That doesn't mean the parents have to be sued, unless the damage is not corrected, but all too often, the first thing that happens is that a lawyer gets involved and it escalates from there.

“Happiness is an attitude”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#19 Mar 8, 2009
We have a pool, and soon a hot tub. Our neighbors have small children that are not supervised as well as I would like them to be (to put it nicely). We looked into similar property laws, and decided that putting up a fence was the best option for us (and my dog loves it!). I completly understand the home owners concers. On the other hand there is no way in HeII I would sue a home owner if my kid (when we have one) was hurt on their property while sledding. Kids are kids. They fall down, get hurt, and it's a part of growing up.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#20 Mar 9, 2009
Allymaeshine wrote:
I completly understand the home owners concers. On the other hand there is no way in HeII I would sue a home owner if my kid (when we have one) was hurt on their property while sledding. Kids are kids. They fall down, get hurt, and it's a part of growing up.
Yes,and we were all kids at one time so we know that those things do happen. As long as the property owner doesn't have an attractive invitation or problem that invites the kids to injure themselves, he shouldn't be held responsible for kids doing what kids do.
West Manheim res

New Castle, DE

#21 Mar 9, 2009
I agree with "Confused". If you don't enjoy the sight and sound of children, you should not have moved into a child friendly neighborhood. When these kids hang out in the streets and get into trouble you will be complaining again. Take all this time and energy and just put up a fence as you said. That would solve your so call problem of children just having fun!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sledding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dog sled tour operator defends industry in wake... Dec '16 DOG is GOOD 1
News Suit prompts Boyce to close sledding hill (Jan '09) Feb '14 End of an Era 11
News Boob Sledding Through the Arctic (Feb '13) Apr '13 michellepain 47
News Storm packs 1-2 punch of snow, slush (Feb '08) Feb '11 America Gentleman... 7
News Letters to santa (Jan '11) Jan '11 cartier 5
News Bay Shore to host a winter festival (Dec '08) Dec '10 We r all Immigrants 25
News Local woman gets the key to her dream (Dec '07) Nov '10 Angela Levy 5
More from around the web