Child Injured In Sledding Accident In...

Child Injured In Sledding Accident In Tulsa

There are 13 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Jan 30, 2010, titled Child Injured In Sledding Accident In Tulsa. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

For kids, the day after a snowstorm can be a winter wonderland. With more than six inches of fresh snow on the ground, hundreds of kids went sledding Saturday afternoon at Harwelden Mansion, 2210 South Main Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Jan 30, 2010
we used to "sled" on tractor tire inner tubes that don't go that fast...these new plastic sleds haul it...the adults shouldn't have been parking that close to the sledders in the first place...hope that little girl is going to be alright...
Lay-offs

Tulsa, OK

#2 Jan 31, 2010
That darn Dewey! I can't believe we have laid off all of our cops that protect and serve us. If we wouldn't have had lay-offs...the cops would have been here to protect these people. They could have been on the scene to write tickets to those that were driving there sleds recklessly and at too high of speeds. This kind of stuff is only gonna get worse. We need our cops back. How will we ever catch all of these criminals for sledding and running into each other and hurting each other. It's all Dewey's fault!
Mike

United States

#3 Jan 31, 2010
Im guessing the parked car shouldnt have been there, based on what im reading.
einzig

Sapulpa, OK

#4 Jan 31, 2010
Our family home drew the neighborhood kids as there was a hill that was great when snow fell, my parents felt it best to bar this activity in fear of legal ramifications in the event of injury.
Try to be concerned

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Jan 31, 2010
I so often ask....Why can't we have a TV program that airs the laws and driving regulations that most affect all of us on a common basis. I know its been so long for me since I had to prove my knowledge of our regulations. I forget the required distance to give a turn signal. A reminder of legal following distance? proper parking considerations? These are just very small examples of what I mean by "keeping knowledge" that help me be a better citizen. I see everyday where it can benefit our community by helping us "flow" more easily together.
Sorry

Tulsa, OK

#7 Jan 31, 2010
Sorry...but you can't fix stupid. People are glued to American Idol and dancing with the stars. They believe it is governments responsibility to protect them from everything and provide them everything they need. Common sense is absent of kids & most adults that don't have to do anything for themselves. Most are too stupid to change the batteries on their remote control. I'm sad that a child was hurt. If some idiot parked their car in the path of the sleds...then the idiot should be held responsible. Sadly, there are 10 more idiots in line to replace that one if incarcerated. This shouldn't even be news...I don't know why I am even commenting. Others should have recognized the danger and had the owner move their car. All are equally responsible.
Iam Mee

Tulsa, OK

#8 Jan 31, 2010
Well the friggin idiots over off 15th near Memorial were parked in the right lane of 15th to let there kids sled as if the road wasn;t already treacherous enough and you have idiots using a lane as there personal parking spots, park in the neighborhood and walk over there jeez lazy!
Road Rage

Tulsa, OK

#9 Jan 31, 2010
The story didn't say who was at fault. I hope the parents of the injured child don't try to sue the driver of the car. The parents need to realize that they should keep a closer eye on their children when they are engaging in such a dangerous activity. Beside, kids will be kids and sometimes accidents happen. Parents need to accept this and not try to blame anyone else.
tulsa

Tulsa, OK

#10 Jan 31, 2010
First of all Harwelden is a great hill to sled on. Second it can be a very dangerous if not a fatal hill to sled on. It can become a very dangerous with the crowds, traffic going up and down, and not to mention the large number of unsupervised kids aimlessly flying down the hill. I was there when the child hit the parked SUV, and it wasnt the drivers fault. The parking is limited and cars line both sides of the street. Parked cars are really the lest of obstacles while sledding there. The large trees are an extreme danger and people at the bottom. Not reported in the news was a incident Sunday a 58 yr old woman who had brought her grandkids out was struck at the bottom of the hill by a kid on an old metal rallied sled. Recieveing a compound break to her tibia and fibia (half of her shin was shooting off at a 45 degree angle).
I would hate to see this shut down but there really needs to be some sort of authortiy present.
Witnessed

Tulsa, OK

#11 Jan 31, 2010
Placing blame won't get anyone anywhere with this. It would be more appropriate for groups of people to come together at the popular sledding sights and help direct the sledders up and down the hill and do some adult traffic control out of true concern. Parents are just as guilty of letting their kids out with no supervision on these hills. 
I held a 58 yr. Old lady in my arms today until emsa came bc she SAVED the life of a little girl who was on one of the old time wooden sleds and was heading straight into the largest tree out there head first. The little girl sandwiched the ladies ankle between the tree and sled and left her ankle at a 90 degree angle compound fracture. The best outcome for that little girl would have been  a wheel chair for the rest of her life. The complete stranger put her life on the line to save this little girl. It was no accident that she jumped in to save her. She is having surgery tonight. 
Bottom line is there needs to be some volunteers to help give guidance. People were still going to sled down the hill right into us even after the fact. As an adult, All I had to do was take control of the situation strong enough from almost 75 yards away and everyone respected my authority. Thank God!
Thank you to the lady for being a true Guardian Angel. 
Parents, your babies can be with you one minute and the next minute everything can be different. Try your best to Keep them close and out of harms way.
frosty

Paris, AR

#12 Feb 1, 2010
Witnessed wrote:
Placing blame won't get anyone anywhere with this. It would be more appropriate for groups of people to come together at the popular sledding sights and help direct the sledders up and down the hill and do some adult traffic control out of true concern. Parents are just as guilty of letting their kids out with no supervision on these hills. 
I held a 58 yr. Old lady in my arms today until emsa came bc she SAVED the life of a little girl who was on one of the old time wooden sleds and was heading straight into the largest tree out there head first. The little girl sandwiched the ladies ankle between the tree and sled and left her ankle at a 90 degree angle compound fracture. The best outcome for that little girl would have been  a wheel chair for the rest of her life. The complete stranger put her life on the line to save this little girl. It was no accident that she jumped in to save her. She is having surgery tonight. 
Bottom line is there needs to be some volunteers to help give guidance. People were still going to sled down the hill right into us even after the fact. As an adult, All I had to do was take control of the situation strong enough from almost 75 yards away and everyone respected my authority. Thank God!
Thank you to the lady for being a true Guardian Angel. 
Parents, your babies can be with you one minute and the next minute everything can be different. Try your best to Keep them close and out of harms way.
Wow, that sounds like a good news story to me!
oldtimer

Tulsa, OK

#13 Feb 2, 2010
it just shows the difference between when i was a kid of 11 out sledding down the hill by our house and the difference in todays children...we didn't have parental supervision...we took care of ourselves...we bundled up...built a fire ourselves...picked up kindling wood ourselves...worked together as a team...and we would sled from early morning until 1 or 2 at night...we might go in to go to the restroom or get some more hotdogs to roast or more milk with cocoa and sugar to make hot chocolate but we didn't bother our parents because they taught us already what to do...one of the dads might come out and bring more firewood and check up on us but we looked out for each other...we yelled from the top of the hill to the people at the bottom and they had sense enough to walk on the side of the sledding area and not up the middle...and this was a hill that cars might travel down so we had spotters at the top of the hill to tell the drivers to go to the next hill over to drive down...if we hit a culvert we told everybody to be careful of that area...now kids get on a sled and go...they don't look ahead and plan a path to sled down they just haul ass at warp speed until they hit a tree or car or a person...they can't see anything beyond the end of their own noses...that's how they'll drive too!!!jmo
oldtimer

Tulsa, OK

#14 Feb 2, 2010
it just shows the difference between when i was a kid of 11 out sledding down the hill by our house and the difference in todays children...we didn't have parental supervision...we took care of ourselves...we bundled up...built a fire ourselves...picked up kindling wood ourselves...worked together as a team...and we would sled from early morning until 1 or 2 at night...we might go in to go to the restroom or get some more hotdogs to roast or more milk with cocoa and sugar to make hot chocolate but we didn't bother our parents because they taught us already what to do...one of the dads might come out and bring more firewood and check up on us but we looked out for each other...we yelled from the top of the hill to the people at the bottom and they had sense enough to walk on the side of the sledding area and not up the middle...and this was a hill that cars might travel down so we had spotters at the top of the hill to tell the drivers to go to the next hill over to drive down...if we hit a culvert we told everybody to be careful of that area...now kids get on a sled and go...they don't look ahead and plan a path to sled down they just haul ass at warp speed until they hit a tree or car or a person...they can't see anything beyond the end of their own noses...that's how they'll drive too!!!jmo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sledding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dog sled tour operator defends industry in wake... (Dec '16) Dec '16 DOG is GOOD 1
News Suit prompts Boyce to close sledding hill (Jan '09) Feb '14 End of an Era 11
News Boob Sledding Through the Arctic (Feb '13) Apr '13 michellepain 47
News Storm packs 1-2 punch of snow, slush (Feb '08) Feb '11 America Gentleman... 7
News Letters to santa (Jan '11) Jan '11 cartier 5
News Bay Shore to host a winter festival (Dec '08) Dec '10 We r all Immigrants 25
News Local woman gets the key to her dream (Dec '07) Nov '10 Angela Levy 5
More from around the web