Rare spirit - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Despite suffering a rare type of cancer, a teenager refuses to allow the disease to slow down his life By Helen Altonn POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Aug 03, 2009 Return to Paginated View The first thing 13-year-old Gavyn Takamoto asked his doctor when told he had a very rare, very aggressive tumor, was whether he'd be able to go on a vacation in June.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
LANI AWA BELL

Fenton, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

keep the positive attitude.
Aging Observer

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Thank you for this story. This young man is an inspiration and reminder that life is to be "lived". Thank you, Gavyn. Being positive is so very important.
Bob_Mililani

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Not many of us could face adversity like Gavyn is doing, and report should remind those of us who have never had cancer to be thankful for our good fortune. Good luck to you, Gavyn.
Kahala Princess

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

While I am suffering from pain due to aging arthritis I always remindl myself that there is always someone suffering from more pain than myself. This story of Gavyn makes me feel ashamed that I would complain at my age when I can lead a normal life. I admire his positive attitude, his humor, his love for life and wish that more of us could be like him. This article certainly paints a wonderful story of a young man, who lost his mother, whose father and sister and family and friends are walking beside him through his journey. I will pray for his recovery. Please keep us updated on his incredible journey. Thank you Gavyn, you give all of us so much inspiration. Love to you and your family.
Great Kid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

I'mua Gavyn!!!!!!!! Brave kid!!!!!!!!
Oahu Portagee

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Kahala Princess wrote:
While I am suffering from pain due to aging arthritis I always remindl myself that there is always someone suffering from more pain than myself. This story of Gavyn makes me feel ashamed that I would complain at my age when I can lead a normal life. I admire his positive attitude, his humor, his love for life and wish that more of us could be like him. This article certainly paints a wonderful story of a young man, who lost his mother, whose father and sister and family and friends are walking beside him through his journey. I will pray for his recovery. Please keep us updated on his incredible journey. Thank you Gavyn, you give all of us so much inspiration. Love to you and your family.
Great post. A lot of our "challenges" and "road blocks" in life are so minor compared to what others must face. And these people face their challenges with so much courage and strength. Inspiring! Best wishes to Gavyn and his family!!
Go Warriors

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Get Well Soon, the world needs positive people like you. Some of us adults should feel ashamed about the things we whine and complain about. You are living proof that you don't have to be an adult to be a role model.
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Aging Observer wrote:
Thank you for this story. This young man is an inspiration and reminder that life is to be "lived". Thank you, Gavyn. Being positive is so very important.
I agree! Inspiring stiory
Oahu Portagee

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Go Warriors wrote:
Get Well Soon, the world needs positive people like you. Some of us adults should feel ashamed about the things we whine and complain about. You are living proof that you don't have to be an adult to be a role model.
It makes me VERY ashamed grumbling about having to sit in traffic or not being able to find parking at the mall, or about a restaurant taking too long for my food, etc. Very insignificant things that really don't matter.
Pearl City

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

I am just one of Gavin's baseball coaches and let me tell everyone how much he have inspired me. He is one of those kids that although, does not posess all the best baseball skills, I would always choose to keep him on my team because he does have a great attitude and we always chose kids with great attitude over their skills. His father Ken, is always very supportive in anything that Gavin did. We always joked with him that Gavin should go on a diet because he ate so much and was getting big. Little that we knew, he had a tumor. He was always bigger than the other kids, at 10 to 13 years old, he was already well over 5'5". Gavin, get well soon, we are waiting for you on the field. Coach Jay
zanmom

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

I was just thinking about Gavyn recently when my son turned 13. Gavyn's mom was one of my best friends and we were pregnant with our boys at the same time. Unfortunatley, Gavyn's mom did not live to see her son grow up. I am glad my friend's son is surrounded by his loving and supportive family. Take care!

Since: Feb 08

Kaneohe, Hawaii

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Thank you for sharing your story, Gavyn. You are braver than you know. Best wishes to you.
DOVE

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Truly inspirational, with all the Grumbling, Rumbling, that is directed at Coach Mack I think
the opposition could learn something here. What
they encountered is so Manini compared to what
this kid has gone through already... Makes you
wonder sometimes...Everlasting Peace
Als Bar and Grill

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Geev 'um boy!!!!!!!!
Martin Turow

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Wow! What an incredible kid and awesome family. This is what Ohana is really about. May God see you through all this.
Be Happy

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Gavyn, keep hope at your side always and all will be fine. You're teaching all of us adults to appreciate life more. Thank you dear child. We will all be with you every step of the way.
Think about it

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

What an incredible kid. Gavyn, you are going to accomplish a lot in your life because of your positive spirit and your "can-do" attitude. Best wishes!!
Nuuanu

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Wow, What a story!!
You keep your head up and keep strong...
May God be with you alway's...
You will be in my prayers...
Kaimukirich

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

great motivational story! ganbare Gavyn!
Lord Haha

Makawao, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Hello Gavyn...we all wish you well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sled Dog Racing Discussions

Search the Sled Dog Racing Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How Does the Iditarod Race Work? (Mar '10) Apr '13 Marilyn 3
Episode on Sled Dog Racing - Cannington Race Me... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gymineer 1
Notre Dame student who died filming football pr... (Mar '11) Mar '11 DD Austin 1
100 dogs shot in Canada after Olympics (3:50 p.m.) (Feb '11) Feb '11 Al Reine 21
Ryan Anderson wins Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon... (Feb '11) Feb '11 dum dums 3
Canadian adventure company slaughters 100 dogs ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Continence 6
He cares for the most durable dogs of all (Nov '10) Nov '10 Tyngsboro Girl 5
•••
•••
•••