Dog-Sledding In Northern New England

Dog-Sledding In Northern New England

There are 30 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Nov 15, 2007, titled Dog-Sledding In Northern New England. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

We caught a comparatively mild, calm Saturday. The temperature may have reached as high as the teens during early afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Barbara I Biel

United States

#1 Nov 22, 2007
Shame on the Courant for promoting such barbarism. Please go to http://www.helpsleddogs.org and educate yourself about how cruel dog-sledding is. Boycott this cruelty!
Barbara I. Biel
Bristol, CT
Raina Spaziani

Danielson, CT

#2 Nov 22, 2007
I am once again appalled by the Courant. What is up with this paper and their animal cruelty articles. First they laud the merits of Cabella's, a retialert that encourages the murder of countless animal species and now this!!! Courant get with it!!!
Has no researched this issue before writing this garbage??
Want cold hard facts concerning "Mushung". Read up on http://www.helpsleddogs.org/faq.htm and than tell me the merits to this atrocity against dogs.
the alaskan

United States

#3 Nov 27, 2007
Well well. The PETA's are up in arms again. How many dogs are mistreated by people in cities? As for sled dogs that is their breeding but don't look at what a dog is bred for lets look at what you want it to be. Grow up and accept the fact that an animal is an animal and protest treatment of your fellow man and then man's best friend" Time to get your head out of the sand oh no that is cruelty to ostriches oh yea that is their nature
The dog sledder

Calgary, Canada

#4 Dec 26, 2007
It sounds to me like most of you "protesters" have never been dog sledding before and if you have it hasn't been with a company that cares for thier dogs. How I can tell this is you think that it's ALL cruel. Instead of telling the people who are good and caring dog sledders to do our research maybe you all should be the ones doing research. You bet, there are many kennel that mistreat their dogs and I agree, it's awful but you all need to choose your words carefully. It's not ALL dog sledders and dog sledding that's bad. It's certain dog sledders, not dog sledding in general. You all claim they are not bred for pulling...you don't know your history. Dog sledding is one of the oldest forms of transportation so why is it bad if some people decide to continue in this life style? I have been to many kennels that have been shut down to adopt their dogs to give them a loving home where they can do something they love and be cared for! Why the hell do you think they all lunge and bark before they run? Couldn't be that they like it and they want to run. You all feel like you need to speak for the dogs, how about speaking for the ones that are mistreated? Don't ruin a dog's passion for running and pulling because you know nothing about "real" dog sledding. Why not try to shut those kennels down that ARE the problem. I encourage all of you who think this sport is cruel to go for a ride with a GOOD touring company and look at their kennel and ask questions. Come to Canada, but those of you who are not dog sledders or have never been dog sledding keep your comments to yourself, just because you have heard rumors and stories of bad experiences doesn't mean all dog sledding is bad. Go with a GOOD company one that teaches you about dog sledding. You need to look at the bigger picture, all over the world there are kennels that are dirty, the dogs are not cared for and it's very easy to see. There are also kennels that have happy and positive dogs that want to run and pull and they are cared for. So what, you would rather stop all dog sledding because of what you think? Or stop the dog sledders that are the definition of what you are all protesting against?

These dogs you speak of are not bred for a house pet, they are bred for pulling and running. Not letting them do that is cruel. I have adopted over 10 huskies is my kennel because the dog is going to be youthanized for destorying the house. These are people that shouldn't even have kids. The dogs don't pick the owner, the owner picks the dog. But it's ok in our disposable world to just kill the dog and get a better one. It makes me laugh you know, most everyone has to teach their dogs (that are not a husky breeds) to heal and you're trying to tell me that a husky is not bred for pulling? If you can't even understand that then I feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for you that you are going to spend your time trying to tear down something that you know nothing about.
Happy Trails.
Fwiffwooklenes

Hartford, CT

#5 Dec 26, 2007
The dog sledder wrote:
It sounds to me like most of you "protesters" have never been dog sledding before and if you have it hasn't been with a company that cares for thier dogs. How I can tell this is you think that it's ALL cruel. Instead of telling the people who are good and caring dog sledders to do our research maybe you all should be the ones doing research. You bet, there are many kennel that mistreat their dogs and I agree, it's awful but you all need to choose your words carefully. It's not ALL dog sledders and dog sledding that's bad. It's certain dog sledders, not dog sledding in general. You all claim they are not bred for pulling...you don't know your history. Dog sledding is one of the oldest forms of transportation so why is it bad if some people decide to continue in this life style? I have been to many kennels that have been shut down to adopt their dogs to give them a loving home where they can do something they love and be cared for! Why the hell do you think they all lunge and bark before they run? Couldn't be that they like it and they want to run. You all feel like you need to speak for the dogs, how about speaking for the ones that are mistreated? Don't ruin a dog's passion for running and pulling because you know nothing about "real" dog sledding. Why not try to shut those kennels down that ARE the problem. I encourage all of you who think this sport is cruel to go for a ride with a GOOD touring company and look at their kennel and ask questions. Come to Canada, but those of you who are not dog sledders or have never been dog sledding keep your comments to yourself, just because you have heard rumors and stories of bad experiences doesn't mean all dog sledding is bad. Go with a GOOD company one that teaches you about dog sledding. You need to look at the bigger picture, all over the world there are kennels that are dirty, the dogs are not cared for and it's very easy to see. There are also kennels that have happy and positive dogs that want to run and pull and they are cared for. So what, you would rather stop all dog sledding because of what you think? Or stop the dog sledders that are the definition of what you are all protesting against?
These dogs you speak of are not bred for a house pet, they are bred for pulling and running. Not letting them do that is cruel. I have adopted over 10 huskies is my kennel because the dog is going to be youthanized for destorying the house. These are people that shouldn't even have kids. The dogs don't pick the owner, the owner picks the dog. But it's ok in our disposable world to just kill the dog and get a better one. It makes me laugh you know, most everyone has to teach their dogs (that are not a husky breeds) to heal and you're trying to tell me that a husky is not bred for pulling? If you can't even understand that then I feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for you that you are going to spend your time trying to tear down something that you know nothing about.
Happy Trails.
Pay no attention to the puzzlewits from PETA. They are about as useful as b00bs on a bowlingball.
Maria Mroz

Hollywood, FL

#6 Dec 26, 2007
First of all, why humans pleasures should be enjoyed by the accounts of animals? Why all those people who want to go dog sledding, why not attaching their family, or close ones to it, and lets them pull all those sledding lovers??? That would be fun fun fun!!!!!I have to find my whip for those humans sledding!!! All those who loves dog sledding, imagine yourself in those dogs' positions. how would you like it to be whipped????fun huh????
The dog sledder

Calgary, Canada

#7 Dec 26, 2007
I don't know what it is with all of you thinking that every dog sledder whips and beats their dogs. I know there are some that do but I also know that those people who are a sad excuses for a human being and they will get the fait they gave their dogs. I have never used a whip on my dogs and I never will. I know other dog sledders who also think thay it wrong.

Maria, I would imagine their is not much dog sledding out in deerfield beach so I am wondering what makes you all experts on something you have never experience to the level us good dog sledders have. How do you know that the dogs don't like to pull? It's impossible for you to know because you're not the one that spends 24/7 every days of the year looking after and running the dogs. None of you know the amount of work we do to keep our kennel clean and our dogs healthy. I spend over $10,000.00 on vet care every year.

Who are all of you to speak on behalf of the dogs? Just like hearding, rescue and hunting dogs are bred for their prefession huskies are bred for running and pulling. The Canadian Inuit Husky and The Alaskan Malamute can pull over 400lbs just on their own. The Siberian and Indian husky have the best endurance just like the wolves and coyotes. After all, huskies are the closest desendent of the wolves and coyotes.

Just because you are so miserable doesn't mean we all have to be. And if the dogs don't like pulling Maria then why do they bark and lunge before they run? I would like to know what expert opinion you have for that question.
TRUTH

Auburn Hills, MI

#8 Dec 27, 2007
I've seen dog-sledding demonstrations and it looked to me as if the animals loved the excercise and the excitement of running. Also, I've been told that a responsible dog-sled owner always takes care of his dog's needs before his own.

“In Dodd we cannot trust.”

Since: Nov 07

Rural Connecticut

#9 Dec 27, 2007
TRUTH wrote:
I've seen dog-sledding demonstrations and it looked to me as if the animals loved the excercise and the excitement of running. Also, I've been told that a responsible dog-sled owner always takes care of his dog's needs before his own.
Very true. The dogs do love the sport. It's what they are bred to do. Huskies and malemutes are high-energy dogs and they thrive in the cold weather.

I have a retired racing greyhound and every time I get her old racing silk to use as a cool-weather jacket she goes nuts! She is thinking "I'm gonna run, c'mon let me run, I wanna run!!" And she's 7 years old.

These PETA types don't seem to understand that the dogs get some enjoyment out of these activities too.
the alaskan

United States

#10 Dec 27, 2007
The dogs need to run but instead lets subject them to what WE THINK THEY NEED. Get you heads out of not the I havsand but you can THINK of where.I have had 3 huskies and with 2 acres the dogs thrived. Instead of talking without facts learn about the breed. ANIMAL RIGHTS are GOOD but HUMAN IGNORANCE cannot but euthenised and it is a pity.
The dog sledder

Calgary, Canada

#11 Dec 27, 2007
For those of you who understand, thank you. I think if these people from PETA want to help they should generate their actions towards shutting the problem kennels down. You need to be educated on this topic you are slamming. It's not very "humane" to generate hate towards something and people you don't know about. For some of us this is our industry, life style and hobby and it is how we make a living so why should we be "shamed" if we do it responsibly? Anyone who would like further info I would be more then happy to help. You need to know what a good kennel looks like and what they provide so you know what the dogs should look like, behave like ect... Then you can seak out the bad ones.
TRUTH

Auburn Hills, MI

#12 Dec 27, 2007
the alaskan wrote:
The dogs need to run but instead lets subject them to what WE THINK THEY NEED. Get you heads out of not the I havsand but you can THINK of where.I have had 3 huskies and with 2 acres the dogs thrived. Instead of talking without facts learn about the breed. ANIMAL RIGHTS are GOOD but HUMAN IGNORANCE cannot but euthenised and it is a pity.
I'm sorry, but your grammar is so bad that I don't get your point. Are you for, or against dog-sledding? Did you actually read your own post?
the alaskan

United States

#13 Jan 4, 2008
My grammar is not bad ( and that was not the case during my masters thesis) but my typing skills are terrible. As for the point, seeing that the dogs are bred to run and I let them run you can deduce without much intelligence that I am for dog sledding. I did not proof the post but then again I get lazy sometimes. I bet that you are against sledding and attempting to divert the issue the way those who cannot admit that they are wrong often do, usually the sign of limited intellect and understanding. So get your head out of the sand ( oh no ostrich abuse) and learn to research
dogsled

Ipswich, MA

#14 Jan 13, 2008
First off, if the dogs DID NOT want to run, then why would they? There is no such thing as forcing an animal to do something. You can't "force" a human to do anything, so why could you with a dog? Very few people use whips anymore, and for those few who do, Shame on them!

It's not like we have rocks in our sled and if they don't go we throw them at them! Seriously, guys, go to a sled dog race, and talk to EVERY musher, and look at EVERY dog, and then tell me that dogsledding is cruel and inhumane.
jeff

United States

#15 Jan 13, 2008
the alaskan wrote:
Well well. The PETA's are up in arms again. How many dogs are mistreated by people in cities? As for sled dogs that is their breeding but don't look at what a dog is bred for lets look at what you want it to be. Grow up and accept the fact that an animal is an animal and protest treatment of your fellow man and then man's best friend" Time to get your head out of the sand oh no that is cruelty to ostriches oh yea that is their nature
Isn't this same group who want Knute killed instead of living in a Zoo. We better get our troops and attack the Eskimo. I hate cruel treatment of any living thing and find hunting barbaric but it is allowed so live with it. I suppose you can find the odd musher who is cruel, most mushers love their animals and the animals love to run so get a life and worry about real issues will ya
jeff

United States

#16 Jan 13, 2008
the alaskan wrote:
My grammar is not bad ( and that was not the case during my masters thesis) but my typing skills are terrible. As for the point, seeing that the dogs are bred to run and I let them run you can deduce without much intelligence that I am for dog sledding. I did not proof the post but then again I get lazy sometimes. I bet that you are against sledding and attempting to divert the issue the way those who cannot admit that they are wrong often do, usually the sign of limited intellect and understanding. So get your head out of the sand ( oh no ostrich abuse) and learn to research
It really grinds my gears when the writer is so at a lose they pick apart spelling and other writing errors, stick to the issue, if you can't have a decent rebuttal don't post. I make millions of typos so what
Amy

Worcester, MA

#17 Jan 13, 2008
Points and counterpoints, dog sledding is a healthy GREEN sport and most successful sledders treat their team with love and respect, not cruelty. Why sled some ask, why do anything, I ask. FREE human beings do what they wish and those who are not free are 'forced' to do what they do not want to do. Yes, humans can be forced to do what they do not want to do. It's either that or die in many parts of the world. Also in many parts of the world people eat dogs, so if I was a sled dog, I would be happy to run and not be someone's dinner.

“Hunter and Proud of it!”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#18 Jan 13, 2008
Raina Spaziani wrote:
I am once again appalled by the Courant. What is up with this paper and their animal cruelty articles. First they laud the merits of Cabella's, a retialert that encourages the murder of countless animal species and now this!!! Courant get with it!!!
Has no researched this issue before writing this garbage??
Want cold hard facts concerning "Mushung". Read up on http://www.helpsleddogs.org/faq.htm and than tell me the merits to this atrocity against dogs.
And right after you go to that website, click here for the truth about PETA! www.petakillsanimals.com

How about all those animals? Friggin Hyprocrites, wake up America!
intersted party

Newburyport, MA

#19 Jan 15, 2008
yeah dont let the peta people near your sled dogs they end up in a dumpster at the piggly wiggly
intersted party

Newburyport, MA

#20 Jan 15, 2008
The dog sledder wrote:
For those of you who understand, thank you. I think if these people from PETA want to help they should generate their actions towards shutting the problem kennels down. You need to be educated on this topic you are slamming. It's not very "humane" to generate hate towards something and people you don't know about. For some of us this is our industry, life style and hobby and it is how we make a living so why should we be "shamed" if we do it responsibly? Anyone who would like further info I would be more then happy to help. You need to know what a good kennel looks like and what they provide so you know what the dogs should look like, behave like ect... Then you can seak out the bad ones.
ignore these idiots my friend they are a vocal lunacy...the rest of the normal world finds dog sled racing exciting

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sled Dog Racing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dog sled tour operator defends industry in wake... (Dec '16) Dec '16 DOG is GOOD 1
News How Does the Iditarod Race Work? (Mar '10) Apr '13 Marilyn 3
Episode on Sled Dog Racing - Cannington Race Me... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gymineer 1
News Rare spirit - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Apr '11 NephewSlippah 39
News Notre Dame student who died filming football pr... (Mar '11) Mar '11 DD Austin 1
News 100 dogs shot in Canada after Olympics (3:50 p.m.) (Feb '11) Feb '11 Al Reine 21
News Ryan Anderson wins Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon... (Feb '11) Feb '11 dum dums 3
More from around the web