He cares for the most durable dogs of...

He cares for the most durable dogs of all

There are 5 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Nov 26, 2010, titled He cares for the most durable dogs of all. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Dr. Al Townshend of Tewksbury poses with a trusted companion. Townshend is a volunteer veterinarian for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Dog Lady

Boston, MA

#1 Nov 26, 2010
Dogs are NOT carnivores, they are omnivores. Funny how you'd think that a veterinarian who developed dog food for HEALTH reasons wouldn't know that...hmmm
Paulette Jones

Edgewood, MD

#2 Nov 26, 2010
I've met Dr. Al Townshend and he is fantastic, a great vet, and nice person. I've fed my dogs Eagle Pack dog food, both my sled dogs and pet dogs and I believe it is the best dog food in the world. I've been to the Iditarod twice, once in Anchorage and once in Nome. No one cares more for the dogs than the people involved in that race. I've seen it in person.
MassMom

Lowell, MA

#3 Nov 26, 2010
Not that the dogs have any choice. They are dependent on humans. They will do what is needed to survive. If the mushers, organizers and fans of this "sight" are are humane then how about they out in front and pull the dogs a few thousand miles.
Downtown Lowell Resident

Lowell, MA

#4 Nov 26, 2010
Dogs (and their ancestors, wolves) are non-obligate carnivores. This is not a matter of opinion, it is fact... ever seen a molar in a dog's mouth?
Now, your dog CAN digest plant matter (just look at how much corn is in your average dry dog food), but the dogs in this article are the athletes of the dog world, which means they need the fuel which their systems were meant to digest.
I've done a fair amount of mushing, and anyone who thinks that the dogs would rather be pulled by people is crazy... these dogs go absolutely crazy when it's time to run, they LOVE IT! Whats more, I have seen and participated in a lot of mushing and have never, ever seen such attention to the health and well being of dogs. The connection that top mushers have with their dogs (and vice versa) is unparalleled and dog owners the world over (especially owners of "working breeds" like huskies, shepherds, cattle dogs etc) can learn a lot from watching them.
Tyngsboro Girl

Dracut, MA

#5 Nov 27, 2010
I had a Siberian Husky and now have an Alaskan Malamute.

Both dogs get a bad rap when owned by inexperienced owners. My Husky was amazing. My Malamute is amazing. He is 130 lbs. and my 6 yr old and 2 yr old boss him around. They are pack animals that love to work and do best when with a pack that is strong in heart and show love after a job well done.

Dr. Al is right on all counts and a great man to educate others on these majestic breeds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sled Dog Racing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Does the Iditarod Race Work? (Mar '10) Apr '13 Marilyn 3
Episode on Sled Dog Racing - Cannington Race Me... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gymineer 1
News Rare spirit - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Apr '11 NephewSlippah 39
News Notre Dame student who died filming football pr... (Mar '11) Mar '11 DD Austin 1
News 100 dogs shot in Canada after Olympics (3:50 p.m.) (Feb '11) Feb '11 Al Reine 21
News Ryan Anderson wins Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon... (Feb '11) Feb '11 dum dums 3
News Canadian adventure company slaughters 100 dogs ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Continence 6
More from around the web