Scholastic hockey on solid ice

Full story: The Morning Call

As clubs headed into the final month of the Lehigh Valley Scholastic Hockey League's regular season, four teams had solidified holds on postseason berths in the Pure Division, including two that were fighting ...
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Sep 17, 2013
athletic Consulting firm

Bath, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

The PIAA hired our firm to look into considering hockey as a sanctioned PIAA sport,,,WOW!...the supposed coaches & " powers to be "were so arrogant in their little power that I could not even get them to pay attention to my inquiring.....unqualified MEN who claim to have HOCKEY experience{at their age ,in this area it s a joke} think that watching the Flyers makes them coaches & authorities on the sport.....DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH GUYS......with my report filed, it'll be hockey day in hell before your sport in accepted by the PIAA.
These "coaches" would NEVER give up their EXPERTISE/hold on this sport......it s a shame,,,again the student-athlete suffers because of ADULT reliving their youth thru a student athlete...
Real Nice

Etters, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

Way to be professional there. I'm sure your bosses would be extremely thrilled that you chose a newspaper forum to vent your frustrations with how much you love your job.

“Life is Good”

Since: Mar 07

North Whitehall

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

Nice to see scholastic hockey in the MC!
Rob

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

Was on the LHS team back in '97. Prior to '97 there was no Liberty Hockey (it existed in the early 90s but went away until 1997). Its great to see LHS Hockey doing well! We had a pretty horrible season in 1997 but they are respectable now! Makes me proud.
Rob

Dahlgren, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

PS- that dude from the athletic consulting firm can kiss my ____.

“Life is Good”

Since: Mar 07

North Whitehall

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

Rob wrote:
PS- that dude from the athletic consulting firm can kiss my ____.
LOL Rob, my thoughts exactly. My son plays scholastic hockey for Parkland, he's still at the Middle School Level.

I think it will be a long time before scholastic hockey in the valley becomes a "SPORT" rather than the schools recognizing them as clubs. It's such an expensive sport and schools have to vie with travel teams, figure skating, and other scholastic clubs for ice time to practice.

Every year there are more and more players and that's what is important. Of course, in this area, with limited ice time and no pond hockey, most parents realize our kids aren't going to be the next Gretzky or Lemieux.
hockey fan

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

Allen used to have an ice hockey team, what happened? they no longer have it???
Mike Nederostek

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

It's about time your sports department started to cover these kids.. They work hard ,not only on the ice but off ice too. Unlike most school sports these kids have to raise money to " pay to play " Ice time is not cheap..
Same old thing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

Sadly it will never be a PIAA sport because simply there's not enough interest and no feeder systems. It's not the coaches, it's partially the schools because of the expense. but there's only a handfull of "pure" teams - all students 100% from that school district.

The programs that exist in the current rinks are strong enough to support a feeder system but only for 1 or 2 teams - this is why they have to travel to competition.

I'm proud to see the LV Scholastic Hockey Leage still around, on TV, and getting articles such as this. I was there for the start of it back in 1990-1991 when there was 6 teams none of which were close to pure. Heck, we didn't even have coaches because they were either drunk or quit - so thanks to the fathers and mothers who stepped up just so we can play. Practices were at night, sometimes outside at the Bethlehem Municipal rink before it had a cover and our games were at the reverred Ice Palace in Allentown where you shot pucks towards a wonderful year long christmas tree display and were sure to catch disease in the locker rooms. The games usually included fights and lots of penalties for the "tough guys"

While there may have been no Gretsky's or Super Mario's the area has had it's fair share of standouts to go on to Prep, College(ACHA and NCAA), Semi, and Pro teams. There's is a regular group of folks that played that sit on practice squads for AHL and MAHL teams locally,(I am one)...but most would never know unless you were close to the hockey community.

So to all the kids in the current league - keep doing what you love. To all the coaches - keep leading the way and don't touch the kids, and the the parents - please stop fighting in the stands, and to the Morning Call - keep the press coming.
ex titan

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

The freedom teams of the mid 90's were filled with some quality players. What squad do you work with Same old thing?
same old thing

Kingston, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

recently a call here or there from tedstone and crutcher with valley forge 1-2x a month and usually early in the season with karl in reading just until they get everyone in town before the season kicks off.
hockeyfan

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2008

Maybe there was a sidebar with this info, but I didn't see it. For more information, check www.lvshl.org Games are played at The Rink at LV (formerl LV Ice Arena) in Whitehall, and the Steel Ice Center in Bethlehem. Service Electric's TV2 airs a game every Monday night. Varsity games are usually Monday nights, JV games are Friday nights, with youth (around 3rd-5th grade) & middle school games on weekends.
Chris Hutchinson

Poland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Yes, I know I'm replying a couple of years after the comments but I ran across this today while reminiscing.

Oh, those were good memories "Same old thing"!!! I was there that first year too. The whole thing was so special to me. Mainly because I had been a Koncrete Kid for most of the time I was in high school. My sister was already going to BECAHI but I didn't go switch until that year because there was a lot of confusion as far as hockey... wasn't sure if Northampton was going to have a team (they did end up having one)... supposedly BECAHI was... no decision about pure/non-pure had been made yet... then I change schools and hear that BECAHI isn't going to have a team.

That was completely unacceptable to me after changing schools!!! Thanks to the help of Eric Witzel, his dad and some really dedicated guys we did end up having a team and won that first championship, only losing once to Liberty that year. Great memories!!!

I agree with 'Same old thing' on all points made. And yes, there were no Gretzys but there were some darn good players... long-haired kid from Liberty was always one of my favorites to watch... we had some really outstanding players... Eric Witzel... from Easton we had Joe Orrechio (RIP), Rat was from Freedom I believe, can't remember were Billy and Damien were from but they were probably the best in the league.

I was playing Comets at the time too but geez the LVSHL that year sure was meaningful. I'm really happy to see that it's still going strong. To anyone involved with keeping it growing over the years... parents, coaches, organizers and especially the kids who live and breath hockey... I thank you tremendously.
Hockey parent

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

athletic Consulting firm wrote:
The PIAA hired our firm to look into considering hockey as a sanctioned PIAA sport,,,WOW!...the supposed coaches & " powers to be "were so arrogant in their little power that I could not even get them to pay attention to my inquiring.....unqualified MEN who claim to have HOCKEY experience{at their age ,in this area it s a joke} think that watching the Flyers makes them coaches & authorities on the sport.....DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH GUYS......with my report filed, it'll be hockey day in hell before your sport in accepted by the PIAA.
These "coaches" would NEVER give up their EXPERTISE/hold on this sport......it s a shame,,,again the student-athlete suffers because of ADULT reliving their youth thru a student athlete...
Wow talk about arrogant. Its a shame that people like you get to decide whats best for our kids. The only reason there's not more qualified coaches in ice hockey is because its all volunteer. We cant offer the high salaries that football and basketball get. If we could there would be an abundance of great coaches. To deny our kids based on your assumptions is absurd.I think someone should evaluate your job performance im sure there's someone better qualified....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••