Russia to host 2016 Hockey Worlds

Russia to host 2016 Hockey Worlds

There are 49 comments on the rt.com story from May 13, 2011, titled Russia to host 2016 Hockey Worlds. In it, rt.com reports that:

Friday 13 has become a lucky day for Russia as the country has won the right to host the 2016 Ice Hockey World Championships.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at rt.com.

Since: May 08

Kiev-Moscow-St.Peterburg

#21 May 14, 2011
Finns got us. :( Really disappointing match...

Since: May 08

Kiev-Moscow-St.Peterburg

#22 May 14, 2011
Lukashenko Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you like that goal Mr.Granlund made. It was a clear message. No matter if czechs, swedes and slovaks lose at Sochi Finland will still defeat Russia the "Red Machine".
We had the too hard match with Canada before you, moron. The next day we should to play with you, our team was too weak this day.

I don't complain like you, but this is true. We have very good team.
Lukashenko Dr Phil

Lempäälä, Finland

#23 May 14, 2011
M_A_X_I_M wrote:
<quoted text>
We had the too hard match with Canada before you, moron. The next day we should to play with you, our team was too weak this day.
I don't complain like you, but this is true. We have very good team.
ha ha ha

Canada and Finland did not even have their best players there yet Canada barely lost and we defeated you. What"s your explanation. Because Malkin and Datsyuk were not there like the last time? ha ha ha
ronan

Camberley, UK

#24 May 14, 2011
Cayo wrote:
ronan,
russia is up only when prices on oil are up. Even I don't read the kind of crap you call english analytics :)))
I couldn't care less what you read or what you believe; I back Russia 100%.
Pro Ukraine

UK

#25 May 14, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
Traitor.
ronan

Camberley, UK

#26 May 14, 2011
Pro Ukraine wrote:
<quoted text>Traitor.
How can I be a 'traitor' because I back Russia ?

“UG X”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#27 May 14, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
You may as well. It needs it badly !

“UG X”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#28 May 14, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not because you back Russia, you just are!
Pro Ukraine

UK

#29 May 14, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
You bash the UK, but back Russia 100%.
ronan

Camberley, UK

#30 May 14, 2011
ana 8 wrote:
<quoted text>Not because you back Russia, you just are!
In a choice between Denmark, Ukraine and Russia, I backed Russia.

How can that make me a 'traitor' since Britain wasn't a contestant in the bid?

You got your head all screwed up, woman!!
ronan

Camberley, UK

#31 May 14, 2011
Pro Ukraine wrote:
<quoted text>You bash the UK, but back Russia 100%.
Has Britain applied to hold the 2016 Ice Hockey World Championship/
No. So what's your point?

I am even against Britain holding the 2012 Olympic Games, if you want to know!

London doesn't have the transport infrastructure to satisfy the games and the Londoners who have to go to work, and I predict massive traffic jams and tube congestion during that periopd.

Beside, most of the cost will be born by Londoners with their councuil taxesa, and British taxpayers at large.

I would have voted No against the 2012 games at well, but I rejoyce for Russia that has attracted many important sporting events for the future: the 2014 Winter Olympics, the 2014 Russian F1 GP, the 2016 Ice Hockey World Championship and the 2018 Football World Cup.

Russia is a completely different proposition: Russia invests in its future and deserves recognition for its effort. Russia need the exposure and the public to visit it and see for itself.

Well done Russia!!
Pro Ukraine

UK

#32 May 14, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
London doesn't have the transport infrastructure to satisfy the games and the Londoners who have to go to work, and I predict massive traffic jams and tube congestion during that periopd.
Beside, most of the cost will be born by Londoners with their councuil taxesa, and British taxpayers at large.
I would have voted No against the 2012 games at well, but I rejoyce for Russia that has attracted many important sporting events for the future: the 2014 Winter Olympics, the 2014 Russian F1 GP, the 2016 Ice Hockey World Championship and the 2018 Football World Cup.
Russia is a completely different proposition: Russia invests in its future and deserves recognition for its effort. Russia need the exposure and the public to visit it and see for itself.
Well done Russia!!
You back Russia 100% in everything, and bash the UK in everything, you are a traitor. Your comments about the Olympics prove my point.
England would have put on a much better World Cup than Russia, and if it hadn't been for those idiots making those allegations about FIFA officials would probably have got it.
ronan

Camberley, UK

#33 May 14, 2011
Pro Ukraine wrote:
<quoted text>You back Russia 100% in everything, and bash the UK in everything, you are a traitor. Your comments about the Olympics prove my point.
England would have put on a much better World Cup than Russia, and if it hadn't been for those idiots making those allegations about FIFA officials would probably have got it.
You are just a narrow-minded idiot who can't see the wide picture!

Britain is in the mist of a recession, with a massive budget deficit (the largest in Europe), and instead of tightening the belt and trying to redress our economy, we are going to waste billions in organising the 2012 Olympic Games!
Who in Britain will benefit from it? The big corporations?

Most of the contractors for the building works are foreigners, so are the workers. Just go on th site in Leytons, Stattford and hear the people working on the Olympic project; hardly any Brit!
The contractors are Australian, German, French, etc... the workers Polish, Latvians, Italians, etc...
The organising committee itself draws fact wages out of the Olympic budget. Who benefit from that? Who will pay for the Games? The British taxpayers, and the London ratepayers.

As for the Football World Cup, Britain has already one of the largest football league in the world (if not the biggest), our clubs are among the richest clubs in the world; why do we need to monopolise football any further?

English football is already known worldwide, with plenty of followers in the Far East, the Middle East, etc... What would organising the World Cup improve on?

But Russia needs the exposure, and the support of the football fraternity to improve its game and bring it among the top nations in Europe. It will be an excellent opportunity for Russia to rebuild its main stadiums and promote football as a national asset.
Lukashenko Dr Phil

Lempäälä, Finland

#34 May 14, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well done Russia!!
Thank God it is not up to you to make decisions regarding sporting events.
Pro Ukraine

Uttoxeter, UK

#35 May 15, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just a narrow-minded idiot who can't see the wide picture!
Britain is in the mist of a recession, with a massive budget deficit (the largest in Europe), and instead of tightening the belt and trying to redress our economy, we are going to waste billions in organising the 2012 Olympic Games!
Who in Britain will benefit from it? The big corporations?
Most of the contractors for the building works are foreigners, so are the workers. Just go on th site in Leytons, Stattford and hear the people working on the Olympic project; hardly any Brit!
The contractors are Australian, German, French, etc... the workers Polish, Latvians, Italians, etc...
The organising committee itself draws fact wages out of the Olympic budget. Who benefit from that? Who will pay for the Games? The British taxpayers, and the London ratepayers.
As for the Football World Cup, Britain has already one of the largest football league in the world (if not the biggest), our clubs are among the richest clubs in the world; why do we need to monopolise football any further?
English football is already known worldwide, with plenty of followers in the Far East, the Middle East, etc... What would organising the World Cup improve on?
But Russia needs the exposure, and the support of the football fraternity to improve its game and bring it among the top nations in Europe. It will be an excellent opportunity for Russia to rebuild its main stadiums and promote football as a national asset.
Forget the "wide picture", you should be celebrating the fact that such a major sporting event will be taking part in the UK which will give the nation a real lift, it's a once in a lifetime event.
How much do you think that Russia will be spending to host those events and at the expense of whom? The people, they will still be living in poverty while these events are taking place. Russia isn't exactly a country which never makes the news is it, it's not short of exposure.
Your love of Russia is bizzare, I could understand it more if you lived there, and don't give me that bull about you supporting it, because of people attacking it, there are lots of other countries which are attacked why don't you defend them? Traitor!
ronan

Camberley, UK

#36 May 15, 2011
Pro Ukraine wrote:
<quoted text>Forget the "wide picture", you should be celebrating the fact that such a major sporting event will be taking part in the UK which will give the nation a real lift, it's a once in a lifetime event.
How much do you think that Russia will be spending to host those events and at the expense of whom? The people, they will still be living in poverty while these events are taking place. Russia isn't exactly a country which never makes the news is it, it's not short of exposure.
Your love of Russia is bizzare, I could understand it more if you lived there, and don't give me that bull about you supporting it, because of people attacking it, there are lots of other countries which are attacked why don't you defend them? Traitor!
And why should Russia be deprived of a major sporting event "which will give the nation a real lift, it's a once in a lifetime event" ?
Why should Britain be more deserving?

How Russia spend the moment, and who benefit from it in Russia isn't my problem. I know too well who ends up picking the bill in UK.

Britain is just not a good country to manage big projects, and organise large events. Nobody is in charge, and there is never any proper cost control. The 1956 London International Exhibition declared a loss and went bankrupt.
The Millenium Dome was a costly failure that lined up the pockets of the contractors, at the expense of the Londoners who paid for it.
The new stadium in Wembley was finished 2 years late, and cost 3 times its initial cost!!!
The clearance of the site for the Olympic games near Stratford closed 300 small local businesses at the cost of 6000 jobs. The media don't tell you that!
There is already plenty of corruption around the building of the Olympic sites, and its multi installations. Several people from the committee have resigned or been sacked. We still don't know the total costs, and the organising committe, and Lord Coe, refuses to tell the enquiry!
The Olympics were supposed to cost £5 billions, then £7 billions, now they say it could end up being £12 billions, and there are rumours that the total cost to the country could reach £15 billions!
Our economy could do with these £15 billions to plug some hole in our huge deficit budget.

Beside, the transport infrastructures in London are near breaking point. Your tube is wholefully inadequate and can't even handle the present volume of commuters. How will it cope with the added pressure of hundred of thousands of visitors to the Games? It will be more delays and inconvenience for Londoners. Just ferrying athletes from their residences to the venues will be a logistic nightmare. We are told several main arteries in the city will be closed to prioritise Olympic traffic; how nice!

People like you don't even think about that. You only foam at the mouth and call me traitor. How stupid.

SWG

Since: Feb 10

Houston, Texas

#37 May 15, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
And why should Russia be deprived of a major sporting event "which will give the nation a real lift, it's a once in a lifetime event" ?
How Russia spend the moment, and who benefit from it in Russia isn't my problem. I know too well who ends up picking the bill in UK.
Britain is just not a good country to manage big projects, and organise large events. Nobody is in charge, and there is never any proper cost control. The 1956 London International Exhibition declared a loss and went bankrupt.
The Millenium Dome was a costly failure that lined up the pockets of the contractors, at the expense of the Londoners who paid for it.
The new stadium in Wembley was finished 2 years late, and cost 3 times its initial cost!!!
The clearance of the site for the Olympic games near Stratford closed 300 small local businesses at the cost of 6000 jobs. The media don't tell you that!
There is already plenty of corruption around the building of the Olympic sites, and its multi installations. Several people from the committee have resigned or been sacked. We still don't know the total costs, and the organising committe, and Lord Coe, refuses to tell the enquiry!
The Olympics were supposed to cost £5 billions, then £7 billions, now they say it could end up being £12 billions, and there are rumours that the total cost to the country could reach £15 billions!
Our economy could do with these £15 billions to plug some hole in our huge deficit budget.
Beside, the transport infrastructures in London are near breaking point. Your tube is wholefully inadequate and can't even handle the present volume of commuters. How will it cope with the added pressure of hundred of thousands of visitors to the Games? It will be more delays and inconvenience for Londoners. Just ferrying athletes from their residences to the venues will be a logistic nightmare. We are told several main arteries in the city will be closed to prioritise Olympic traffic; how nice!
People like you don't even think about that. You only foam at the mouth and call me traitor. How stupid.
Ronan,
Actually from what I've read I don't think that if I were the head of a country I would want ANY large scale athletic tournament held in my country. All the infrastructure and costs to build the arenas is not worth it. What I've read is that all these places have lost money on these projects to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Hardly seems worth the cost for some good PR. Just my opinion.
ronan

Camberley, UK

#38 May 15, 2011
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
Ronan,
Actually from what I've read I don't think that if I were the head of a country I would want ANY large scale athletic tournament held in my country. All the infrastructure and costs to build the arenas is not worth it. What I've read is that all these places have lost money on these projects to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Hardly seems worth the cost for some good PR. Just my opinion.
Some countries need to organise large events to advertise themselves and showcase their new development.

That's why countries like Bahrain, Turkey, Malaysia, Singapore or the UAE -Dubai for example have spend large amount of public money to have F1 GPs, regattas, international tournaments, etc... Such events put them on the map, so to speak, as in a massive PR exercise.

I can also understand why BRIC countries do the same to herald changes in their political/economic structures (Brasil, Russia, India and China). Large sums of money coming from the state coffers will be used for that.

But that's not the case for Britain. What to we have to show the world about our country that it doesn't know already? The cost of holding the Olympics cannot be justified, for example, so why does Britain keep bidding for such events when it cannot afford them?

We are in a long lasting recession, and our government trims all unnecessary expenses, so why does it encourage such financial madness in the middle of an economic recovery?
Pro Ukraine

UK

#39 May 15, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying that Russia should be deprived of a major sporting event, but why should the UK. Do you think that there will be no disruption in Russia when their events are taking place? Do you think that the costs in the end will not be much more than originally planned? How many Olympics have made a profit? It seems to me that the main reason you are against the London Olympics is, because you won't be able to travel normally for a couple of weeks. Do you think that they haven't worked out the logistics of ferrying the athletes to their venues well in advance. If you went to the Olympics, there's no doubting who's flag you would be carrying or whose athletes you would be supporting, so you are a traitor.

SWG

Since: Feb 10

Houston, Texas

#40 May 15, 2011
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some countries need to organise large events to advertise themselves and showcase their new development.
That's why countries like Bahrain, Turkey, Malaysia, Singapore or the UAE -Dubai for example have spend large amount of public money to have F1 GPs, regattas, international tournaments, etc... Such events put them on the map, so to speak, as in a massive PR exercise.
I can also understand why BRIC countries do the same to herald changes in their political/economic structures (Brasil, Russia, India and China). Large sums of money coming from the state coffers will be used for that.
But that's not the case for Britain. What to we have to show the world about our country that it doesn't know already? The cost of holding the Olympics cannot be justified, for example, so why does Britain keep bidding for such events when it cannot afford them?
We are in a long lasting recession, and our government trims all unnecessary expenses, so why does it encourage such financial madness in the middle of an economic recovery?
I REALLY hope I'm wrong about the Sochi Olympic games but I have the feeling that things there "COULD" get ugly and have a VERY negative effect on Russia due to Chechnya. You know as well as I that those killers already have plans to make a statement in one way or another.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ice Hockey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halton Hills mayor stands on guard for thee (Jul '09) Feb '17 he prob at cottage 21
News Popular fastball, hockey volunteer Jim Ford pas... Jan '17 TossingPharts 3
News Pittsfield promoter shines at the Olympics (Mar '10) Jan '17 The Worlds Bigges... 9
News Full Details (Jan '06) Jul '16 gut feeling 2
News Gordie Howe dead at age 88 (Jun '16) Jun '16 RIP 1
News Two-sport Brown faces tough choice (Jan '12) May '16 sports 4
News Georgetown's Brown breaks Bulldogs' scoring rec... (May '16) May '16 Crafty Chris Boushy 2
More from around the web