Patrick Kane's hat trick: What do the...

Patrick Kane's hat trick: What do the Chicago Blackhawks do wit...

There are 63 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 13, 2009, titled Patrick Kane's hat trick: What do the Chicago Blackhawks do wit.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Three goals in a hockey game is a special feat -- special enough for fans to throw hats and caps onto the ice in adulation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Chicago Phil

United States

#43 May 14, 2009
JVT Jr wrote:
Maybe Bill Wirtz collected those hats and sold them later, but no one seemed to care.
JT
Ha ha. I laughed out loud with that sneaky comment. Thanks!
IronMike

Hinesville, GA

#44 May 14, 2009
Tossed in the trash?!?!?!? They ought to auction those "extra" hats off if Patrick/the Kane family doesn't want them.
Miketheanswerman

Los Angeles, CA

#45 May 14, 2009
Chris wrote:
Stupid is living in Plainfield. You can consider yourself a Suburb of St Louis if you like.

Hey Chris, nice elitist comment. Keep in mind that there are 2.8 million people in the city of Chicago, but there are over 9 million people in the metropolitan area. There is a lot more of us than you!

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

#46 May 14, 2009
To the person from GA, we get it, you want them to give them away or auction them off. Who wants a hat that was worn by someone else? Maybe they should give them all to you since you seem so interested. You should contact the Blackhawks front office and tell them your great idea.
An opinion

Clarendon Hills, IL

#47 May 14, 2009
john sab wrote:
"no it's not"

Haley wrote:
"Yes it is when the player refuses to even look at them!"

Haley,
It's not as though Kane deliberately ignored the hats. The game was still in progress and he was still 'working'. As he said, he'll look at them later. My suggestion would be for the player to sign the hats and then have them auctioned off at the next Hawksfest with the money going to the player's favorite charity.

Since: Mar 09

Naperville, IL

#48 May 14, 2009
I lost a good hat last year to Dustin Byfuglien...and was proud and happy to do so...I loved that hat
Maybe the brass could donate to a charity except it seems all these bandwagon jumpers and other assorted haters dont bathe and have head lice and project those fears onto everyone else...I havent heard of head lice fears since elementary school and that was almost 30 years ago

Since: Mar 09

Naperville, IL

#49 May 14, 2009
They had a picture of big Buff somewhere after that game last year..sitting in the locker room with dozens of hats laying around him...mine was there to his left on top of a pile...awesome
As for Kane not looking at them...the game wasnt over and players are very superstitous
Glum

Northbrook, IL

#50 May 14, 2009
Northside wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you know nothing about Hockey.
Apparently, you didn't even read the article.
TempeAZSoxfan

United States

#51 May 14, 2009
Rob wrote:
Donate to charity? Yeah, those homeless people and parent-less children will have their lives enriched so much by...a ball cap.
Ball caps keep your head warm when its cold, and shades your face when it is sunny.

Rob, how is life there up on your pedestal called Barrington?
Section 313

North Chicago, IL

#52 May 14, 2009
Somebody should suggest donating the hats to charity
Joe

Roselle, IL

#53 May 14, 2009
The player should sign them and then they could be auctioned off with the proceeds going to the player's charity of choice.
DLH

Chicago, IL

#54 May 14, 2009
Are the Blackhawks really such a creaky bureaucratic organization that they have to wait until the end of the season to formally decide the inevitable and donate these hats to charity??? All these hats probably end up in a big plastic bag that gets thrown into a Dumpster. Odds are there are at least a few employees of either the Hawks or even the United Center who'd be willing to simply take that same plastic bag and drop it off at a donation center on their way home.

“COMMIT TO THE INDIAN”

Since: Oct 08

Naperville

#55 May 14, 2009
DLH wrote:
Are the Blackhawks really such a creaky bureaucratic organization that they have to wait until the end of the season to formally decide the inevitable and donate these hats to charity??? All these hats probably end up in a big plastic bag that gets thrown into a Dumpster. Odds are there are at least a few employees of either the Hawks or even the United Center who'd be willing to simply take that same plastic bag and drop it off at a donation center on their way home.
This year there have been 2 hat tricks at the UC. Right now they are going into the Conference Finals. That is way more important than to think about what to do with a bunch of hats that hockey fans throw on the ice to celebrate the hat trick. And since they don't happen that often waiting until the season is over is ok. Try going to a bunch of hockey games or watch them on tv, you will understand.
Section 313

North Chicago, IL

#56 May 14, 2009
Tim - Hockey Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
This year there have been 2 hat tricks at the UC. Right now they are going into the Conference Finals. That is way more important than to think about what to do with a bunch of hats that hockey fans throw on the ice to celebrate the hat trick. And since they don't happen that often waiting until the season is over is ok. Try going to a bunch of hockey games or watch them on tv, you will understand.
Tim, I just had a great idea with what the Hawks should do with all those hats.....wait, D*MN! I lost it.

Since: Dec 08

Edmonton, Canada

#57 May 14, 2009
Where is RamRod?
HatCollector

Downers Grove, IL

#58 May 14, 2009
Shame on the Black Hawks throwing the hats out. They wash the uniforms after every game they can throw the hats in the washing machine too. Then donate them to a charity. I can think of dozen charties that would love to have the hats.
John

Coal City, IL

#59 May 14, 2009
In Philly, there's a large glass case (inside the arena near a gift shop) where they put all the hats collected from Hat Tricks. It's pretty neat to see.
fletch

Chicago, IL

#60 May 14, 2009
I thought the blackhawks donated the hats to organizations that care for children with cancer?

Since: Dec 08

Fort Saskatchewan, Canada

#61 May 14, 2009
John wrote:
In Philly, there's a large glass case (inside the arena near a gift shop) where they put all the hats collected from Hat Tricks. It's pretty neat to see.
Cool idea.
Jude74

Chicago, IL

#62 May 14, 2009
Rob wrote:
Donate to charity? Yeah, those homeless people and parent-less children will have their lives enriched so much by...a ball cap.
A kid in a hospital sick with cancer suddenly gets a visit from his favorite hockey star that gives him an autographed stick and one of the hats from his latest hat trick. Think about that for a while. BTW, they do have laundry machines at the UC, they can wash the hats first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ice Hockey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Halton Hills Jr. B Bulldogs put paws to pen (Oct '15) May 8 Eagleson 5
News Ex-CIA Director: Trump Is Politically Corrupt Mar '18 Pardon Pard 2
News EYHA official thinks big with Junior Otters (Mar '08) Mar '18 Interesting 193
News Halton Hills mayor stands on guard for thee (Jul '09) Mar '18 Trump likE tRICKY 22
News Olympics: Russians win hockey gold with 4-3 OT ... Feb '18 CongratsPhartse 2
News North Korean officials wrap up Olympic inspecti... Feb '18 KimchiPharts 9
News Fight to save hockey in Scotts Valley pushes fo... (Jun '09) Jan '18 Jack 16