Patrick Kane's hat trick: What do the...

Patrick Kane's hat trick: What do the Chicago Blackhawks do wit...

There are 63 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 13, 2009, titled Patrick Kane's hat trick: What do the Chicago Blackhawks do wit.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Three goals in a hockey game is a special feat -- special enough for fans to throw hats and caps onto the ice in adulation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Chris

United States

#1 May 13, 2009
cant just donate the unclaimed hats ??
Steve

Chicago, IL

#2 May 13, 2009
One person would get lice and sue the NHL, Hawks, and Kane for having the audacity to score three times.
betty boop

United States

#3 May 13, 2009
donating the hats was my thought as well.

i would hope the person that acquired the hat would wash it before wearing it!
Jason Elliot Benda

Champaign, IL

#4 May 13, 2009
I know that I have been to an NHL arena which had a display case for hat-trick hats. Apparently it's not the UC; maybe it was in Columbus.
JVT Jr

Hanover Park, IL

#5 May 13, 2009
Years and years ago, women dressed up and men at Hawk games tended to wear suits and, more importantly hats, classy hats like fedoras.
In that day, scoring 50 goals was a phenomenal achievement. My first game was when Bobby Hull scored his fiftieth goal, and I do not think it was a hat trick.
Yet, the hats came pouring on to the ice, much more than the other day. Both teams left the ice and Bobby skated the length of the ice, twice.
In a move that can only be described as classic, Bobby Hull, flicked a fedora up with his stick, rolled it twice in the same movement and put it on his head. The place went nuts.
Maybe Bill Wirtz collected those hats and sold them later, but no one seemed to care. Here's to old time hockey and its renaissance at the UC.
Thanks, Scrantons!
JT
Jorge Arbusto

United States

#6 May 13, 2009
Interestingly, Boers and Bernstein (WSCR-670) asked where the hats went, and now this appears. Do B & B have clout at the Tribune?
Hawks Fan

Mason, MI

#7 May 13, 2009
I have to agree with Steve. Head Lice kills this issue. It would be great to donate them but they would have to be washed and what donation center has the time and washing machines to do that?
GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!
Tom the Scum

Plainfield, IL

#8 May 13, 2009
Stupid to throw a perfectly good hat to the ice.
john sab

Chicago, IL

#9 May 13, 2009
Tom the Scum wrote:
Stupid to throw a perfectly good hat to the ice.
no it's not
Haley

Glendale Heights, IL

#10 May 13, 2009
john sab wrote:
<quoted text>
no it's not
Yes it is when the player refuses to even look at them!
Nancy

United States

#11 May 13, 2009
The hats (and other unclaimed lost-and-found items) could be donated to a charity. Just a thought.

Since: Dec 08

Fort Saskatchewan, Canada

#12 May 13, 2009
JVT Jr wrote:
Years and years ago, women dressed up and men at Hawk games tended to wear suits and, more importantly hats, classy hats like fedoras.
In that day, scoring 50 goals was a phenomenal achievement. My first game was when Bobby Hull scored his fiftieth goal, and I do not think it was a hat trick.
Yet, the hats came pouring on to the ice, much more than the other day. Both teams left the ice and Bobby skated the length of the ice, twice.
In a move that can only be described as classic, Bobby Hull, flicked a fedora up with his stick, rolled it twice in the same movement and put it on his head. The place went nuts.
Maybe Bill Wirtz collected those hats and sold them later, but no one seemed to care. Here's to old time hockey and its renaissance at the UC.
Thanks, Scrantons!
JT
Great post!

Since: Dec 08

Fort Saskatchewan, Canada

#13 May 13, 2009
Nancy wrote:
The hats (and other unclaimed lost-and-found items) could be donated to a charity. Just a thought.
The player keeps the hats, for the most part. They are mementos of a career day.
winger

Schererville, IN

#15 May 13, 2009
the real question will be what to do with all the octupi thrown on the ice when the wings come to town.
Moe Diddly

Bartlett, IL

#16 May 13, 2009
When I used to play the very minor leagues in the late 60's we used to collect and keep 'um. Where we played we saw mostly beat-up, ripped stocking hats and Elmer Fudd-type lids, crap like our gear. Pay was bad and we could've used anything we could find. Of course the fans at the time were not wearing the caps they do now.

Back then we all wished the fans would've tossed newer gear on the ice, we sure could have used it!! The ice was bad, the boards were worse, fencing for glass and cold water in the locker rooms. Yeah, the old daze?? Hats weren't the only items tossed on the ice - coins, beer bottles, empty tubes of Brylcreem and sometimes extra biscuits always made their way onto the sheet.
Hawkman

Lowell, IN

#18 May 14, 2009
In the old Stadium they used to pile them up at the exit near the bar so people could reclaim them after the game.
Tom the Scum

Plainfield, IL

#19 May 14, 2009
Hawkman wrote:
In the old Stadium they used to pile them up at the exit near the bar so people could reclaim them after the game.
The answer....
Israel

Washington, DC

#20 May 14, 2009
Make some extra money. Sell them on Ebay
Rob

Berrien Center, MI

#21 May 14, 2009
I never want to throw my good hat on the ice so I always take an old "hat trick hat" just in case!
Rob

Berrien Center, MI

#22 May 14, 2009
Donate to charity? Yeah, those homeless people and parent-less children will have their lives enriched so much by...a ball cap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ice Hockey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halton Hills mayor stands on guard for thee (Jul '09) Feb '17 he prob at cottage 21
News Popular fastball, hockey volunteer Jim Ford pas... Jan '17 TossingPharts 3
News Pittsfield promoter shines at the Olympics (Mar '10) Jan '17 The Worlds Bigges... 9
News Full Details (Jan '06) Jul '16 gut feeling 2
News Gordie Howe dead at age 88 (Jun '16) Jun '16 RIP 1
News Two-sport Brown faces tough choice (Jan '12) May '16 sports 4
News Georgetown's Brown breaks Bulldogs' scoring rec... (May '16) May '16 Crafty Chris Boushy 2
More from around the web