Eagan man saves 15 baby ducks from sewer

As the CEO of a telecommunications company, Shawn Schmidt has to keep a close eye on his bottom line. Read more
Jeff

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Jul 17, 2009
It is a nice ending, but for one untrained person to ender the sewer is very dangerous (people die) and could have created a bad situation for rescue personal. He should have called the authorities! I am sure eagan fire/police would have helped!
Ward Cleaver

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Jul 17, 2009
GREAT JOB and AFLAC thanks you
Quack

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Jul 17, 2009
Is this a story about compassion? Is this news that has a happy ending? FINALLY! Cute story, good read. Nice work guy. I wish everybody did the right thing.
JOIN DUCKS UNLIMITED TODAY!
Quack!
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#26 Jul 17, 2009
Jeff wrote:
It is a nice ending, but for one untrained person to ender the sewer is very dangerous (people die) and could have created a bad situation for rescue personal. He should have called the authorities! I am sure eagan fire/police would have helped!
I don't think he actually entered the sewer, I think he was flat on his stomach next to the entrance and used a hocky stick to get them to run into a fishing net he held with the other hand.
Nicole

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Jul 17, 2009
What a great story, its refereshing to hear good news! Way to go for this awesome Eagan Dad! His son, and neighbors (and himself as well) sure have alot to be proud of!
Me again

Fargo, ND

#28 Jul 17, 2009
What an awesome story. Brought tears to my eyes.
Auntie Smedley

Minneapolis, MN

#29 Jul 17, 2009
Mr. Schmidt, you have the heart of a wildlife rehabber! Thank you so much for rescuing those ducklings. You are a very kind person.

For anyone who doesn't know this, ducklings and goslings should NEVER be away from their parents. They are genetically engineered to stick like glue to their mother. However, ducks can't count, and mother ducks sometimes accidentally leave little ones behind when they move their family.

If you ever find orphan ducklings or goslings with no parent anywhere nearby, please capture them and bring them to a wildlife rehabber. They can be captured either with a net, or by throwing a light blanket or towel over them.

The Wildlife Rehab Center of MN (located on Dale St. in Roseville) is the largest rehabber in the twin cities and is very successful at raising baby duck and geese.
Owl Gore

Monroe, LA

#30 Jul 17, 2009
I want to french kiss Shawn Schmidt and Knute the polar bear.
Tracy

Saint Paul, MN

#31 Jul 17, 2009
I love this guy! If only more people could be so compassionate!
Kristin

Minneapolis, MN

#32 Jul 17, 2009
BRAVO, Shawn Schmidt! The world needs more people like you!
What a guy

Philadelphia, PA

#33 Jul 17, 2009
Shawn Schmidt your whole family ought to be proud of you and the kind of person you are. This story was awesome and reminds me that there are still good people in the world.

Thank you for what you did for those baby ducklings and their mothers. You are a hero.
Nancy

Minneapolis, MN

#34 Jul 17, 2009
It's so inspiring to hear a story about someone who actually stops to help an animal in need. I wonder how many other people just drove by and didn't even notice the mother duck in distress. The son also deserves a lot of credit for thinking it was more important for his father to help the ducklings than it was to attend his game.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi
CAT

Minneapolis, MN

#35 Jul 17, 2009
My husband rescued a baby duckling from a sewer grate on his birthday several years ago. He cut the netting out of one of our daughters' prom dresses to use as a makeshift net as we don't own one. It is just one of the reasons why I love him!
Thank you Shawn for your heroic act! God bless you!
Nice

Minneapolis, MN

#36 Jul 17, 2009
Nice work Mr. Schmidt. Way to lead by example.
Sandy Luecken

Minneapolis, MN

#37 Jul 17, 2009
you are my hero.........
Workaday Oakdale Brother

Saint Paul, MN

#38 Jul 17, 2009
Awesome story! Great work, Mr. Schmidt!
here we go

Saint Paul, MN

#39 Jul 17, 2009
Jeff wrote:
Buzzkill....
leroy

Saint Paul, MN

#40 Jul 17, 2009
niceeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Bajamama

Tijuana, Mexico

#41 Jul 17, 2009
Who says good news does not sell newspapers? This ia a beautiful story. One CAN judge a person or nation by how wetreat our animals.

Thank you for this inspiring good news story.
MNGirlyGirl

Minneapolis, MN

#42 Jul 17, 2009
Love to read a feel good story!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ice Hockey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Roof Melt (Jan '08) 10 hr gaga2 72
News Eight express views on future of arenas in Halt... (Feb '09) Mar 19 Ravens come close 4
News Ottawa police to face off against Sens' Bobby R... Mar 19 stewart scott 2
News Halton Hills squads were golden oldies at own t... (Nov '08) Mar 13 high-school-hockey 4
News Tickets are going fast for Leaf Alumni-Firefigh... (Oct '08) Mar 11 Halton Ravens GMHL 5
News Seven 'Dogs help Ontario coast to under-16 crown (Sep '09) Mar 4 GMHL 4
News Citizens named to form Arenas Task Force (Oct '08) Feb 28 lotsa empty arenas 11
More from around the web