Smoking impairs fracture recovery

Full story: National Post

Does anyone out there not know that cigarette smoking is bad for your health? I doubt it.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Anonymouse

Kitchener, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Judged:

This story reminds me of something that occured about a year ago where I used to work. A co-worker had dental surgery that was taking forever to heal. The dental surgeon told him that it was probably taking much longer to heal than it should because he was a heavy smoker. I would imagine that those who smoke, and who have had surgery lately have been told that it may affect their recovery.
Tired Uvit

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

It honestly seems like we have become a society that if in doubt "it is because of smoking."

I know smokers who have had fractures that have healed quite nicely and I know nonsmokers who have had fractures that healed with great difficulty.

"That being said, it also motivates me to encourage my patients who smoke to make every effort to quit" translates to "I get to nag them."

Since: Nov 07

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

Tired Uvit wrote:
It honestly seems like we have become a society that if in doubt "it is because of smoking."
No, it's obvious that the dental surgeon was well aware of the scientific research done that shows how healing is retarded in smokers.
SassyVarmit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

I believe, it has much more to do with a combination of lifestyle choices. Diet, activity, alcohol, drugs, sleep patterns, smoking, etc. To point a finger at just smoking, takes much too simplictic a view of a situation. But, it is also the easy way out, and, PC at this time.
Linda

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

I am so glad my fractured ankle didn't know that in 1996 or it would not have healed in the timely manner that it did.

Would my surgery in 1995 on both feet have healed ahead of schedule as the did if they had known?

WOW, and I smoke. The anti smoking agenda is such a crock of BS

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

SassyVarmit wrote:
I believe, it has much more to do with a combination of lifestyle choices.
Interesting, what do you base your belief on?
Al Smokehommond Jazzeri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

um, must be certain people and doesnt apply to all smokers.. I had no problem healing with my dental surgery and they never mentioned it. Also recovered fine from my rotator cuff surgery. One must look very hard to find the scar.! Cant say I agree with this 100%
Al Smokehommond Jazzeri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

The non smoking leaders are pulling at every string to justify thier agenda. Pathetic isnt it.?

Then they have thier sheep agreeing with them , with no actuall knowledge to back up thier statements.

Question for the zealots: Now do you think that smoking affect the color of my stool, and bladder waste ???? If so where is the study ?
Linda

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

SassyVarmit wrote:
I believe, it has much more to do with a combination of lifestyle choices. Diet, activity, alcohol, drugs, sleep patterns, smoking, etc. To point a finger at just smoking, takes much too simplictic a view of a situation. But, it is also the easy way out, and, PC at this time.
Medical conditions can affect healing such as diabetes for one whether a smoker or not
SassyVarmit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

Eric_Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, what do you base your belief on?
There are many factors that effect healing. Diet is needed to "feed" the healing process, exercise is needed to increase blood flow, sleep (rest) is needed for the body to heal, etc.

Stress, drugs, smoking, alcohol, inactivity, bad diet all prohibit the healing process.

As for the medical "short cut"? What do I base that on? 25 yrs in the medical field...will that do?
SassyVarmit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
Medical conditions can affect healing such as diabetes for one whether a smoker or not
yes, as can heart disease, breathing problems, Aids, Hep. C, immune system disorders... basically any major health problem will produce an impact on the healing processes.

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

SassyVarmit wrote:
There are many factors that effect healing. Diet is needed to "feed" the healing process, exercise is needed to increase blood flow, sleep (rest) is needed for the body to heal, etc.
Stress, drugs, smoking, alcohol, inactivity, bad diet all prohibit the healing process.
Absolutely, however the retardation of healing due to smoking has been shown on a biological level.
As for the medical "short cut"? What do I base that on? 25 yrs in the medical field...will that do?
Medical field? Were you a hospital janitor? <joke, no offence meant!>.

If you were involved in the field of "tobacco toxicology and its effects on a cellular level" then I bow down to your superior knowledge.

I think I'll be looking straight ahead though!
Smoke Free

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

We had a Heavy Smoker at work who broke his leg and was out for weeks collecting disablity. It wasn't healing correctly and the doctor told him his smoking was slowing down the healing process.
He had an extra month of disablity, AND GUESS WHO PAID FOR THAT? I'm sick of paying for the smokers "Extra" care. The list just keeps getting longer and longer why smokers should pay more for their medical care and disablities.
SassyVarmit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

Eric_Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely, however the retardation of healing due to smoking has been shown on a biological level.
<quoted text>
Medical field? Were you a hospital janitor? <joke, no offence meant!>.
If you were involved in the field of "tobacco toxicology and its effects on a cellular level" then I bow down to your superior knowledge.
I think I'll be looking straight ahead though!

Eric, have you even considered the possibility the subjects for these test were pulled from the lower income levels, that do not get proper dietary intake, do not get proper medical care, and, have no idea of health care?

This is what many in the O.B. field suspect happens with the surveys done on smoking and it's correlation to small birth weight babies.

Unlike you, I stated in my original post that "I believed" that to be the situation. At no time did I state I was an expert in the field. And, for your future consideration.... just reading something does not make you an expert, nor, does it being in print make it fact.
Anonymouse

Kitchener, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

SassyVarmit wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric, have you even considered the possibility the subjects for these test were pulled from the lower income levels, that do not get proper dietary intake, do not get proper medical care, and, have no idea of health care?
This is what many in the O.B. field suspect happens with the surveys done on smoking and it's correlation to small birth weight babies.
Unlike you, I stated in my original post that "I believed" that to be the situation. At no time did I state I was an expert in the field. And, for your future consideration.... just reading something does not make you an expert, nor, does it being in print make it fact.
This comes directly from the linked story. I'm not sure if everyone posting read it.

Study after study since the early 1990s has confirmed what orthopaedic surgeons suspected for many years: namely, that smokers seem to have more complicated healing when it comes to fractured bones.

Early on, it was felt that these patients didn't heal well because they were generally unhealthy, either as a result of poor nutrition, heavy alcohol intake or diabetes. A large study published two years ago in the Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma finally put this controversy to bed. It carefully teased out the effects of smoking on the healing of tibia (lower leg bone) fractures and fracture complications such as bone infection. Smokers, and even ex-smokers, were significantly less likely to have their fractures heal and about three times more likely to develop a bone infection. Case closed.

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/health/story...
SassyVarmit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Judged:

Anonymouse wrote:
<quoted text>
This comes directly from the linked story. I'm not sure if everyone posting read it.
Study after study since the early 1990s has confirmed what orthopaedic surgeons suspected for many years: namely, that smokers seem to have more complicated healing when it comes to fractured bones.
Early on, it was felt that these patients didn't heal well because they were generally unhealthy, either as a result of poor nutrition, heavy alcohol intake or diabetes. A large study published two years ago in the Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma finally put this controversy to bed. It carefully teased out the effects of smoking on the healing of tibia (lower leg bone) fractures and fracture complications such as bone infection. Smokers, and even ex-smokers, were significantly less likely to have their fractures heal and about three times more likely to develop a bone infection. Case closed.
http://www.nationalpost.com/life/health/story...
Do you not read? I never stated that I believed, that smoking had no impact... I stated that, that there are more issues than just smoking.

Once again, there is no back up on how the people were picked for the "study"... isn't that typical?
Al Smokehommond Jazzeri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2007

Judged:

No wonder a broken heart is hard to mend.
Kent

Mount Airy, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2007

Judged:

Smoke Free wrote:
We had a Heavy Smoker at work who broke his leg and was out for weeks collecting disablity. It wasn't healing correctly and the doctor told him his smoking was slowing down the healing process.
He had an extra month of disablity, AND GUESS WHO PAID FOR THAT? I'm sick of paying for the smokers "Extra" care. The list just keeps getting longer and longer why smokers should pay more for their medical care and disablities.
My guess is that it wasn't you that paid for any of it dimwit.
Dave

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2011

Judged:

Does it also have ab effect on people affected of http://www.fosamaxfemurfracturelawsuit.com/fo... ?
Idyll

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2011

Judged:

As government already warns, cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health. So in any way, it will cause you harm especially if you already have a health problems like osteoporosis or bone fractures. Note that, according to medical researches, patients and this website http://www.depuyhipreplacementlawsuit.com , a DePuy hip replacement may eventually cause health complications.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••