DA: Money woes may have sparked Westford tragedy

Full story: Lowell Sun 125
After receiving two 911 hangups from her 7 Makepeace Road home at 8:25 and 8:30 Monday night, a police dispatcher quickly called 17-year-old Olivia Marchand back. Full Story
Sick of it

Wallingford, CT

#27 Feb 3, 2010
Vish Chidambaram wrote:
Please, for heaven's sake, for everybody's families' sake, make private gun ownership illegal. Everybody gets angry sometimes. Why let it spiral so easily into a bloodbath?
This is so heartbreaking. Every parent with kids nearing college age and not wealthy, must be in a state of shock now, thinking, how different are my circumstances from those of the Marchands??
GUNS are not the problem....people who kill with them are. Wackos who kill people use all different kinds of weapons.
Mamerica

Wilmington, MA

#28 Feb 3, 2010
His daughter really pushed his button. She wants to go to same expensive school where her boyfriend go at her father's expense. Now, she lost everything. That is sad.
ndzzzz

Milford, CT

#29 Feb 3, 2010
I love the people who are now all for making guns illegal! It's not the guns who kill people, it's people who kill people. Someone butchers someone else with a kitchen knife, are we supposed to outlaw them next? Give me a break! I don't know what happened inside this family's home but it is tragic. I feel for the rest of the families this will affect, which I'm sure will be many. This situation has taught me that no matter how bad things get financially, I still have my family and no amount of pressure could ever make me want to hurt any of them.
Karen

Burlington, MA

#31 Feb 3, 2010
He was upset for having to refinace his SECOND home....jeez homeless people don't treat their families like this. What because he was once rich this is the reason....I can't believe how people are defending this crime.
JEREMIAH

Bedford, MA

#32 Feb 3, 2010
How in Gods mighty name can we have come to be a society that values money more than our own children's well being and future accomplishments? Is it because we as Americans have become greedy, selfish, unloving, even to our own children. I cannot think of anything more horrendous than a father murdering his children, dreadful. There are people who are dying, who have less than 30 days to live and many would surely give everything they have, everything they own, their very souls to just have just 1 more moment with their families and children.
Life is too short and with money taking the place of God, it makes it even worse.
Sick of it

Wallingford, CT

#33 Feb 3, 2010
JEREMIAH wrote:
How in Gods mighty name can we have come to be a society that values money more than our own children's well being and future accomplishments? Is it because we as Americans have become greedy, selfish, unloving, even to our own children. I cannot think of anything more horrendous than a father murdering his children, dreadful. There are people who are dying, who have less than 30 days to live and many would surely give everything they have, everything they own, their very souls to just have just 1 more moment with their families and children.
Life is too short and with money taking the place of God, it makes it even worse.
It's horrible and that man is meeting his maker as we speak. I'm hoping he's swimming in a lake of fire..........
Drew

United States

#36 Feb 3, 2010
It is a very unfortunate situation in Westford. What amazes me is that after finding out that where the incident happened, that it was Westford not Tyngsboro. That one stretch of road has long been an issue because it is landlocked from Westford. Who plows it? who paves it? now should respond to it in an emergency? How is it that on a emergency 911call that the closest police dept wouldn't be notified. If you mapquest each police dept you will find that the Tyngsboro Dept is 1.79miles and estimated at 3 minutes travel time. The Chelmsford dept is 5.91miles and 9 minutes. The Westford station is 6.38miles and estimated at 16minutes. It seems to me that in this case if Tyngsboro PD responded, this may not have ended this way.
Just my thoughts
Thanks
Karen

Burlington, MA

#37 Feb 3, 2010
Again a homeless family could a appreciate a home as you say is "only " valued at 175k, without even a mention of a 2nd home.
sad but true

Oxford, MA

#39 Feb 3, 2010
red wrote:
I don't believe a guy who's been through a divorce and has three kids from his previous marriage did this over finance & marital issues it does not add-up. I question what medications he was on, and only toxicology reports will show that. But everyone loses family friends and community, I pray for the survivor.
Why is it so unbelievable? Some people are obssessed with money. That is what happens in a society that places so much emphasis on it.(Office shootings for example). Who we are as people doesn't matter. It's how much money you have in the bank that matters.

Very sad story. You would think a person could just take a step back and say "we can't afford this school". Some people just snap. Anger and resentment builds and builds and just explodes. There may have been some warning signs.
Um No

Oxford, MA

#46 Feb 3, 2010
Mamerica wrote:
<quoted text>
What he did was socked. The girls wants to go the same college with her boyfriend. Out of state college is expensive. The father didn't want to refinance the house. The daughter gives her father a hard time everyday. Then, things got pushed to the edge. They didnt deserve to be murdered. Oh, lord. He made his choice. He decided not to get into more debt.
The daughter gave her father a hard time everday? And you know this how? Why are you blaming her? Someone should take your computer away until you are old enough to use it properly.
red

Merrifield, VA

#50 Feb 3, 2010
Ok this conversation has gotten to bizarre for me, I'm just trying to understand why, and I hope they find out. That's why I mentioned toxicology reports so maybe it can be prevented from happening again. As a parent who lost a child I would have given up my house,car,bank account,job retirement to have saved him. I can't grasp tuition as a reason maybe so, but not convinced yet.
abc

Braintree, MA

#51 Feb 3, 2010
I remember my days at WA and no college was ever good enough. MA state schools were looked down upon by classmates. Maybe this has changed given the economy, but probably not. When you are 18 your classmates thoughts play a pretty important role in your decision making. You don't think about repaying loans..that's 4-5 years down the road. This only speaks to the money driven culture at WA. Sad situation regardless. No one deserves to be murdered over money
Catmomdu

Tewksbury, MA

#52 Feb 3, 2010
MUSTAFA wrote:
<quoted text>
That is all you infidels can answer, just idiotic arguments. Our peoples have had to suffer many times worse than a 175 thousand dolar house. Our people many of them have no homes because of all the zionist peoples that cause homeless. Do you see our peoples comiting suicides? NO because we believe in the grace of Allah! Allah is GREAT!
What is this drivel?? I hope you're the silly Hoff and you're joking. Maybe the reason your people are homeless is because your people are suicide bomber sheep who blow up your homes.
Catmomdu

Tewksbury, MA

#53 Feb 3, 2010
red wrote:
Ok this conversation has gotten to bizarre for me, I'm just trying to understand why, and I hope they find out. That's why I mentioned toxicology reports so maybe it can be prevented from happening again. As a parent who lost a child I would have given up my house,car,bank account,job retirement to have saved him. I can't grasp tuition as a reason maybe so, but not convinced yet.
Oh don't pay any attention to us. We're "just saying'".
Trust me, we know we're full of crap. At least most of us on this thread are fairly polite.
My sincere condolences for your loss.
Please don't read any more of our nonsense. It has to hurt.(not that you are not welcome here, but reading our nonsense has to be difficult for you)
Mamerica

Wilmington, MA

#54 Feb 3, 2010
MUSTAFA wrote:
<quoted text>
That is all you infidels can answer, just idiotic arguments. Our peoples have had to suffer many times worse than a 175 thousand dolar house. Our people many of them have no homes because of all the zionist peoples that cause homeless. Do you see our peoples comiting suicides? NO because we believe in the grace of Allah! Allah is GREAT!
I have seen on the news about suicide bombers destroy airplanes, big buildings. What do you call those people? Did Allah make them do so they can go to heaven, or they get paid to do those activities. You American hater. You sound like a terrorist. You know that the FBI could read your post and track down where you live.
Mamerica

Wilmington, MA

#55 Feb 3, 2010
Um No wrote:
<quoted text>
The daughter gave her father a hard time everday? And you know this how? Why are you blaming her? Someone should take your computer away until you are old enough to use it properly.
Didn't you read the news report? The grandfather told them the whole situation. About she didn't want to stay in state. She wants to go out of state school. Plus, the father owed $50,000 to the bank.... and so on.. things explode. Things should go that way. Feel sorry that she lost her life, her mother. I blame her that she wants something that her parents couldn't afford and it leads to killing.
Mamerica

Wilmington, MA

#57 Feb 3, 2010
MUSTAFA wrote:
ALLAH IS GREAT! Believe in ALLAH and such things will never happin!
Your religion is suck. I don't want to share a husband with a bunch of wives. I dont' want to be punish when I talk to a man. Your Allah doesn't in the US.

I believe in education, and work for the living.
What

Billerica, MA

#58 Feb 3, 2010
Mamerica wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you read the news report? The grandfather told them the whole situation. About she didn't want to stay in state. She wants to go out of state school. Plus, the father owed $50,000 to the bank.... and so on.. things explode. Things should go that way. Feel sorry that she lost her life, her mother. I blame her that she wants something that her parents couldn't afford and it leads to killing.
Maybe YOU need to read it. The grandfather states she is a nice girl and doesn't mention giving her parents a hard time about anything.
What

Billerica, MA

#59 Feb 3, 2010
MUSTAFA wrote:
ALLAH IS GREAT! Believe in ALLAH and such things will never happin!
Dude GTFO! This isn't about you and your antisemtic, anti-american views. Maybe INS should pay you a visit and a one way ticket whence you came.
TownieToo

Chelmsford, MA

#60 Feb 3, 2010
Is Leone up for reelection?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ice Fishing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bucket rivalry inspires IU, Purdue jokes (Nov '06) Nov '13 GoBuckeyes 125
Ice Fishing News (Mar '13) Mar '13 Edward Lamkin 1
No fishing license? No problem at Minnesota sta... (May '09) May '12 minnesota hmong boi 23
Ice fishing a winter alternative for local spor... (Feb '10) Mar '12 ice fishing 2
Veterans get a hand up with medical foster care (Jan '10) Apr '11 Dori Smith 29
2011 St. Paul Winter Carnival Schedule of Events (Jan '11) Jan '11 Correction 1
In winter, Erie islanders get a lift, a lifelin... (Jan '10) Mar '10 Pete 9
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Ice Fishing People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••