DA: Money woes may have sparked Westford tragedy

Full story: Lowell Sun

After receiving two 911 hangups from her 7 Makepeace Road home at 8:25 and 8:30 Monday night, a police dispatcher quickly called 17-year-old Olivia Marchand back.
Comments
1 - 20 of 125 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2010
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Reader

Bloomfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

A criminal act
Lowellguy

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

What a tragedy.It goes to show you that one never knows what is going on in a persons mind.Are times so bad financially that people are now resorting to killing Family members.What has this world come too.This is becoming more and more common as time unravels the hardships we all face!Obviously this man had some serious issues that went unnoticed by friends and extended family members.I pray for all of the people involved in this horrible incident.
no sense

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

FYI, Brian was a nice guy that for some reason flipped????????no one will ever know what really happened, you were not there!!!!!!!!!!All of it makes no sense if you knew this guy. So sad and heart breaking
Response

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

I agree. If you're that miserable kill yourself. But leave everyone else ALONE. I'm tired of hearing that Brian Marchand was "happy go lucky" or "such a nice guy". He was a monster.
anonymous

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

My thoughts and prayers for both families.
DLH

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

The Sad Part is You do never Know what someone
is thinking I was once Married to a Wacko too
that seemed to everyone Else that he was Normal
and A Great Guy Obviously He is not what People
thought he was A Good Manipulator I feel Bad for
the Wife if she survives after this tragic Loss
she will be un happy without her Daughter No One
can take that Pain away from you they hardly
owed anything on their home if it was a money
issue he should have sold the House Swallow your
pride who cares what other People think.. And
this would Never Happen in Westford Because People
that Live there are so High and Mighty!!!!!!
lwgreeneyez

Woburn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

nice family, it's too bad, God Bless the entire Marchand family
former Chelmsford resident: Marchand Oil customer for years.
Handguns Assault weapons

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Its too easy to use a handgun when in a fit of rage and there is no running away from someone with a handgun who has lost control
Check it

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Check his blood alcohol level he was at Stony Brook in Westford drinking before this happened.
Response

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Pete, it looks like my definition of "nice" is different than yours. My definition does not include people who murder innocent children. I am always amazed at how naive people can be. Just because someone is "nice" to you does not make them a good person. People who are capable of such heinous acts often behave very differently depending on who they are talking to and their families tend to see the real side of them. We have no idea what is going on in other people's houses (or in their heads as they smile at us and say "nice" things).
Pete

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Well I worked for Brian for a while and he was always nice to me, treated me with respect, and always took care of me. So I guess I'm out of line for calling him nice. Have you heard of nice people that went crazy? I know since he did that horrible crime, I'm suppose to come on here and say how big of a c-sucker he was throughout his life. Sorry I'm not giving into that. What he did now makes him a selfish bastard, who should have just ended his life, and I hope he is in hell for what he did. I'm only stating fact when I talk about the person that he was.
Sad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

This whole story has so much sadness and it only took a mere few seconds and a lot of lives lost and ruined. Our maker is our judge. It is terrible that he took his daughter and wifes life. It is also sad that he overcame cancer and ended his life. I think folks should wait to hear more details as to have a better understanding. It is a terrible tradgedy and my heart goes to all the families involved. May God Bless You.
Sick of it

Wallingford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Pete wrote:
Well I worked for Brian for a while and he was always nice to me, treated me with respect, and always took care of me. So I guess I'm out of line for calling him nice. Have you heard of nice people that went crazy? I know since he did that horrible crime, I'm suppose to come on here and say how big of a c-sucker he was throughout his life. Sorry I'm not giving into that. What he did now makes him a selfish ****, who should have just ended his life, and I hope he is in hell for what he did. I'm only stating fact when I talk about the person that he was.
We can't blame or be mad at you for you thinking he was a nice person, obviously that's the Brian you knew.
Nobody knows and never will know what goes on behind closed doors of our friends and neighbors..
red

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

I don't believe a guy who's been through a divorce and has three kids from his previous marriage did this over finance & marital issues it does not add-up. I question what medications he was on, and only toxicology reports will show that. But everyone loses family friends and community, I pray for the survivor.
bluefish

Hudson, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

There have been speculations made that financial burdens contributed to this guy going over the edge, especially mounting tuition costs? Good grief! Firstly, Westford Academy is a public school, so I don't know what tuition is spoken of here. If it's college tuition, welcome to the club. We all have tuition blues for anyone with kids in college. That's no reason to wipe out your whole family. And if that is his real motive then that's a really sad testamony to the state of civilization as we know it!
BUBBA

Chelmsford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

This is why I don't like guns in the home.
MSD

Burlington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

i am shocked to read some of these comments, this is a tragedy and no one knows why this happened and rampant speculation does not help. I have read several different things here that should not be said at all as you dont know. Jody is fighting for her life, keep your speculation to yourself and take the energy on praying she will recover
Vish Chidambaram

Redwood City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Please, for heaven's sake, for everybody's families' sake, make private gun ownership illegal. Everybody gets angry sometimes. Why let it spiral so easily into a bloodbath?

This is so heartbreaking. Every parent with kids nearing college age and not wealthy, must be in a state of shock now, thinking, how different are my circumstances from those of the Marchands??
red

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

MSD This is a discussion forum that is what people do, and that's why they exist. you will always get derogatory statements from heartless people it happens all the time if you can't stand it you should never click on the link plain and simple.
jhn

Monomoy Island, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

u would swear that DA his only job is being opinionated..lol just hope he doesnt run for office 2

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ice Fishing Discussions

Search the Ice Fishing Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bucket rivalry inspires IU, Purdue jokes (Nov '06) Nov '13 GoBuckeyes 125
Ice Fishing News (Mar '13) Mar '13 Edward Lamkin 1
No fishing license? No problem at Minnesota sta... (May '09) May '12 minnesota hmong boi 23
Ice fishing a winter alternative for local spor... (Feb '10) Mar '12 ice fishing 2
Veterans get a hand up with medical foster care (Jan '10) Apr '11 Dori Smith 29
2011 St. Paul Winter Carnival Schedule of Events (Jan '11) Jan '11 Correction 1
In winter, Erie islanders get a lift, a lifelin... (Jan '10) Mar '10 Pete 9
•••
•••
•••