Ski resorts, whitewater rafting industry seek legal shield

There are 18 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from May 10, 2009, titled Ski resorts, whitewater rafting industry seek legal shield. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

RALEIGH Ski resorts trying to limit their vulnerability to lawsuits have struck a deal that could leave skiers with more legal responsibility to avoid hazards on the slopes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

truth detector

United States

#1 May 10, 2009
If you read the article, then you got the part about negligence. Speaking of negligence, why are two of the rafters in the picture not wearing personal flotation devices?
truth detector

United States

#2 May 10, 2009
Not much you can do to protect the lives of the perpetually dumb, is there? Hey Darwin, we have a couple of customers over here for you!

Since: Nov 07

Barnesville, OH

#3 May 11, 2009
truth detector wrote:
If you read the article, then you got the part about negligence. Speaking of negligence, why are two of the rafters in the picture not wearing personal flotation devices?
Good point there td! I thought the same about the picture.

Since: Nov 07

Asheville

#4 May 11, 2009
*But lawyers foresee such language letting paddling companies off the hook “as long as the injury or death was because of the conditions that are characteristic of whitewater,” said N.C. Advocates for Justice CEO Dick Taylor.“It's hard for me to imagine what possible claim there could be against them.”*

Obvious what this guy is interest in...not safety, but his clients' lawsuit incomes. Skiing and whitewater sports DO have inherent dangers, and it is negligent for the politicians to deny that. Regarding the two rafters in the picture not wearing personal flotation devices, perhaps they are taking advantage of their own free choice to not wear them. I would not make that choice, but who are we to tell them otherwise? Lawyers would LOVE them.

Interesting that in the article the Democrats are looking after the lawyers' interest, the Republicans after the individual rights. Typical.
mike

Suffolk, VA

#5 May 11, 2009
Accepting personal responsibility when willingly engaging in high risk behavior? The lawyers aren't going to like that one bit.
I BELIEVE

Orlando, FL

#6 May 11, 2009
truth detector wrote:
Those are the guides!
Triple A

Bloomfield, IA

#7 May 11, 2009
No PFD's on two of the jakeheads in the photo or helmets on the crew in the raft. Maybe when these rental companies start to properly equip their customers then they can shed some liability. As it stands now, some of these operations are merely some old rafts and an old school bus, they must perform inspections on these businesses to ensure they are providing a safe experience and proper equipment.
west asheville

United States

#8 May 11, 2009
Most of the guides are nothing more than college students who have very little or no experience with swift water rescue, cpr, or paddling in general. You are at your own risk when using one of these companies.
John

Lenoir, NC

#9 May 11, 2009
I BELIEVE wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are the guides!
Those two are not guides....just lucky not to be Darwin Award winners. Most rafting companies on the Nantahala River don't require guides.....this shot was taken there.....at the Falls. There appear to no guides on this raft. Something fishy about that picture though.
John

Lenoir, NC

#10 May 11, 2009
Triple A wrote:
No PFD's on two of the jakeheads in the photo or helmets on the crew in the raft. Maybe when these rental companies start to properly equip their customers then they can shed some liability. As it stands now, some of these operations are merely some old rafts and an old school bus, they must perform inspections on these businesses to ensure they are providing a safe experience and proper equipment.
Not a whole lot of need for helmets on the Nanny.....unless you're in a hard boat. Chances are greater that you'll hit your head walking around on the river rocks than being knocked around on the water. I think helmets are optional equipment on the Nanny. PFD's are mandatory.....the two in the picture could have been cited by an official/ranger if they had been seen not wearing them.
okay

United States

#11 May 11, 2009
I love NC's cutting edge..."more recent innovations like snowboarding"...since the mid eighties snowboards have been popular at most ski areas and by 1990 all but a few allowed them. Hmmm, twenty years ago is recent. I guess it's a slower pace of life here.

Since: Mar 09

Chesapeake, VA

#12 May 11, 2009
mike wrote:
Accepting personal responsibility when willingly engaging in high risk behavior? The lawyers aren't going to like that one bit.
I agree that there are a lot of attorneys that would not like the change. And the risk is there...its time we cut down on frivolous law suits.

When I have rafted on the Occcoee and Nantahala the guides were wonderful.
Flunkie

Bloomfield, IA

#13 May 11, 2009
okay wrote:
I love NC's cutting edge..."more recent innovations like snowboarding"...since the mid eighties snowboards have been popular at most ski areas and by 1990 all but a few allowed them. Hmmm, twenty years ago is recent. I guess it's a slower pace of life here.
It sure is, but remember that NC is not well known as a ski destination.
I BELIEVE

Orlando, FL

#14 May 11, 2009
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Those two are not guides....just lucky not to be Darwin Award winners. Most rafting companies on the Nantahala River don't require guides.....this shot was taken there.....at the Falls. There appear to no guides on this raft. Something fishy about that picture though.
John that was meant s sarcasm!
But humor explained is humor lost.
local

Greenville, SC

#15 May 11, 2009
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely something weird about that shot...I suspect it is photo shopped
local

Greenville, SC

#16 May 11, 2009
okay wrote:
Alta still doesn't allow boards on the lifts.

1/2 a binding, 1/2 a brain.
lose some weight

United States

#17 May 11, 2009
That Sutton Bacon guy needs to go on a diet. How can he be the CEO of such a prestigious outdoor company and look like he sits on a couch eating cheetos all day long?
Nantahala River Community

Conway, SC

#18 May 11, 2009
local wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely something weird about that shot...I suspect it is photo shopped
Happen to know the shots for real, although an unfortunate choice by the times and the pfds issued by the rafting company are in the bottom of the boat!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Freestyle Skiing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Zhang Xin: China's real estate mogul (Aug '13) Aug '13 amcummer 1
News Winter Olympics team bulks up (Nov '12) Nov '12 Dan 1
News Extreme Sports Videos (Oct '09) Mar '12 Joe Krupinski 21
News Pet events (May 29-June 7) (May '09) May '11 Sharon Greenan 3
News Cox comes through with flying colours (Mar '11) Mar '11 anything you say 1
News Freestyle Fan Guide - The Park Record (Feb '11) Feb '11 Local yocal 2
News Sports digest: El Pasoan scores KO in Las Vegas... (Jan '11) Jan '11 So What 1
More from around the web